Poll

Do you think Bernie Sanders will be Assassinated before he can be elected.

Yes Bernie will be killed before he can become president.
0 (0%)
No Bernie will be allowed to run against Trump.
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Voting closed: February 27, 2020, 09:28:03 PM

AuthorTopic: Election Errata  (Read 158706 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🗳️ JBiden’s Smart Pick for Vice President Tells Us a Lot
« Reply #1245 on: August 12, 2020, 06:58:12 PM »
Did the Demodopes finally get one right?  Mike Bloombug thinks so.  If he backstops them with his $BILLIONS$, they'll be hard to beat.

RE

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-08-12/mike-bloomberg-biden-is-smart-to-pick-harris-for-vice-president

Biden’s Smart Pick for Vice President Tells Us a Lot

By choosing Kamala Harris as his running mate, Joe Biden has once again proven his good judgment.
By Michael R. Bloomberg
August 12, 2020, 7:59 AM AKDT

Follow @MikeBloomberg on Twitter

Every smart executive knows that you’re only as good as the team you build around you.

It’s a lesson I’ve learned over my entire career, and a lesson that clearly escaped our current president. Joe Biden just proved he gets it. By picking Senator Kamala Harris as his running mate, Biden has selected a strong governing partner for his White House.

At a time when the country is facing the worst series of crises in generations, we have seen how debilitating it is to have a White House that is in a constant state of chaos and turmoil, bouncing from one scandal to another, from one reckless decision to another, from one broken promise to another, and from one petty Twitter fight to another.

The country needs stable, mature, responsible leadership to pull us out of this ongoing disaster — and Senator Harris will help Joe Biden deliver it. With his eight years as vice president, Joe understands the value of having a partner who can complement and balance the chief executive’s experience. Joe’s decades in the Senate proved to be a major asset for President Obama, especially his successful work with legislators to pass the Affordable Care Act. In the same way, Senator Harris’s experience on Capitol Hill — and her leadership on issues of racial equity and criminal justice reform — will be invaluable in a Biden administration.
More from
The Future of U.S. Higher Education Could Be in India
Why Biden’s Harris Pick Is So Encouraging
Sumner Redstone Paved the Way for Zuckerberg, Bezos and Musk
Don't Sweat a Temporary Spike in Inflation

For instance: As district attorney of San Francisco, Harris created one of the first re-entry initiatives in the country, helping to better prepare people who had been incarcerated to apply for jobs and rejoin their communities. She also pulled back the curtain on problems within California’s criminal justice system by making the data more transparent — because she understood the mantra we always lived by at City Hall in New York: “If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it.”

Harris also brings management experience to the job. As attorney general of California, she ran the second-largest justice department in the nation, overseeing some 5,000 employees throughout the state. In that job, and in the U.S. Senate, she strongly supported universal background checks for gun sales – and laws that keep guns out of the hands of domestic abusers and other dangerous people.

I supported her in her race for the Senate in 2016 because it was clear she wasn’t afraid to take on tough fights, and that includes the fight for voting rights. The voter suppression efforts made by Republicans across the country are an affront to democracy — and a major setback for civil rights. I have been supporting organizations like Fair Fight, Collective Future and Voto Latino that are working to clear barriers to the ballot box, but we need a Justice Department that joins them and acts aggressively to secure voting rights for all communities. Harris and Biden will make sure of it.

There are a lot of reasons that Biden picked Harris, including the fact that, over the course of the campaign, she demonstrated she was ready to be commander in chief. But as attention focuses on Harris, it’s important to remember what the selection says about Joe. During the campaign, the two of them had their differences and disagreements. But that didn’t stop him from picking her. In fact, knowing Joe as I do, I’d be willing to bet it made her an even more appealing pick. And here’s why:

Biden knows that in building a strong team, it’s imperative to surround yourself with people who aren’t afraid to tell you exactly what they think — especially when they think you’re wrong. Harris has the guts to do that for Biden, just as Biden did it for Obama. It may be the single most important role that a vice president can play. And over the past four years, we have seen what happens when a vice president insists that a naked emperor is fully clothed.

Biden’s selection of Harris bodes well for the kind of president he would be: someone who prioritizes competence, listens to and respects different viewpoints, embraces diversity and builds teams with strong leaders. And given the extraordinary crisis we are in, we need those values back in the White House more urgently than ever.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Election Errata
« Reply #1246 on: August 12, 2020, 07:45:38 PM »
you can guarantee her parents spoke English at home, so would be completely on the outside listening to her mother's side and Indian community prattling away in a foreign language.

If her parents were bi-lingual, so was she.  You learn languages quickly from about age 5 to age 8.  I learned Portuguese in a matter of months, my mother never learned to speak it at all.  You do gorget though if you don't keep using the language.

RE

I also picked up a fair bit of Portugese from hanging out with one friend from Brazil and his family in one year. About as much as a whole life of having ONE bilingual parent like KH.

I'll bet if either of your parents are bilingual, but the other parent doesn't also speak the language, neither do u. just not the same motivation/need to learn or teach with older relatives and their friends, as there is to learn with your own friends.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:48:32 PM by Phil Rumpole »
Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: August 13, 2020, 12:01:02 AM »
I'll bet if either of your parents are bilingual, but the other parent doesn't also speak the language, neither do u. just not the same motivation/need to learn or teach with older relatives and their friends, as there is to learn with your own friends.

False conclusion, on prima facia evidence.  My mother was not bi-lingual as I mentioned.  Dad the Pigman HAD to learn Portuquese to take the job down in Brazil making bad loans to SA Banks.  Which he did over the course of about 6 months prior to dragging us all down there with him.  He wasn't the nicest or most ethical guy you ever met, but he was no dummy.

Anyhow, when we played Chess (he taught me the game to begin with) we spoke Portuguese.  When other Brazilian Banksters came over for a Feijoada Dinner, everybody spoke Portuguese.  So I learned to speak it quite rapidly.

My college girlfriend (the "Illuminati Spawn" as I refer to her now) was even more amazing.  She was a Polyglot and languages & anthropology major at Columbia.  In addition to Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Chinese and Japanese she could read ancient Latin, Greek and Sanskrit.  Fucking unbelievable gift.  Unfortunate she was also a psycho.  lol.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: August 13, 2020, 03:56:30 AM »

False conclusion, on prima facia evidence.  My mother was not bi-lingual as I mentioned.  Dad the Pigman HAD to learn Portuquese to take the job down in Brazil making bad loans to SA Banks.  Which he did over the course of about 6 months prior to dragging us all down there with him.  He wasn't the nicest or most ethical guy you ever met, but he was no dummy.

Anyhow, when we played Chess (he taught me the game to begin with) we spoke Portuguese.  When other Brazilian Banksters came over for a Feijoada Dinner, everybody spoke Portuguese.  So I learned to speak it quite rapidly.

My college girlfriend (the "Illuminati Spawn" as I refer to her now) was even more amazing.  She was a Polyglot and languages & anthropology major at Columbia.  In addition to Spanish, French, Italian, German, Russian, Chinese and Japanese she could read ancient Latin, Greek and Sanskrit.  Fucking unbelievable gift.  Unfortunate she was also a psycho.  lol.

RE

You said she didn't learn Portugese during her time in Brasil, but that's not the type of family of origin bilingual Im talking about anyway, such as if she or her parents came from continental Europe. Let's say your father is the same background so you're 100% something american. You can probably understand their language but don't speak it. If you do, the something community who address you in English, just laugh at your accent. Most 2nd gen Chinese are like that.

If only one parent such as the mother speaks the language, she and her family need to be motivated to include a child in their adult chatter and the child needs to be motivated to participate in it, if he's going to learn. This means while they speak English to say hello, how are you etc and the other kids can speak English to you, you need to want to understand them talking about whose going bald or getting fat etc and they need to want to teach you on the occasions you are exposed to it. It's not the same motivator as making friends or doing business, or being a linguist, so doesn't happen for most people in the situation. I doubt my kids know more than ten words of their mothers language, even though they hear it a lot. I doubt there will be any stories on KH speaking anything but English

Women are like hurricanes: Wet and wild when they come, take your house when they leave

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Kamala will wipe the floor with Pensky.

RE

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mike-pence-cant-wait-for-kamala-harris-showdown-its-on-he-tells-sean-hannity-grimacing

Mike Pence ‘Can’t Wait’ for Kamala Harris Showdown: ‘It’s On,’ He Says, Grimacing
‘I LIKE THE MATCHUP’

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CGkp2UxPv2M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CGkp2UxPv2M</a>

The vice president says he’s sure the “radical left” Democratic ticket will nudge voters toward Trump, who “has seen us through the worst pandemic in 100 years.”
Allison Quinn

News Editor
Published Aug. 13, 2020 12:10AM ET
Fox News

Vice President Mike Pence cannot contain his excitement (or dread?) about facing off against Kamala Harris on the debate stage.

In an interview with Sean Hannity on Wednesday night, half grimacing and half apparently swallowing back a little sob, the former Indiana governor told the Fox News host he “can’t wait” to take on Harris during the vice presidential debate in Utah on Oct. 7.

“I just have to tell you, I like the matchup. It’s on, Sean,” he said with a pained expression.

After claiming the Democratic ticket had been “overtaken by the radical left,” Pence spent most of the interview regurgitating Trump campaign talking points and gushing over the president, who he said is a sure bet to win the Nov. 3 election.

“I can’t wait to get back out there. I’ll be in Iowa tomorrow telling the story of what this president has done, how we made this country stronger, more prosperous in our first three years, how President Trump has seen us through the worst pandemic in 100 years ...”

“I think the American people are going to vote for four more years of President Donald Trump in the White House,” he said, citing recent unrest in Chicago and Portland as a reason for voters to avoid “radical” Harris and Biden. 

Asked about Harris’ infamous takedown of Biden during the Democratic debates, Pence told Hannity the former California attorney general’s ruthless prosecutorial skills are no match for Trump’s dazzling track record: “I think she is a skilled debater, but I can’t wait to get to Salt Lake City and be on the stage with her—to compare Joe Biden’s nearly 50 years in public life, the agenda of the radical left, the agenda that she’s embraced throughout her political career—with the results of this president and this administration.”

“I truly do believe that President Trump’s vision in our first three years was proven out,” he said.
ADVERTISING

Pence’s completely convincing enthusiasm for the debate came just hours after Harris and Biden offered a scathing rebuke of Trump and Pence during their debut together as a historic Democratic ticket.

“The case against Donald Trump and Mike Pence is open and shut, just look where they’ve gotten us,” Harris said earlier Wednesday, pointing to the “more than 16 million out of work” and “millions of kids who cannot go back to school” amid a pandemic that Trump has repeatedly insisted would just “disappear.”

“And tragically, more than 165,000 lives that have been cut short, many with loved ones who never got the chance to say goodbye,” she said, noting the COVID-19 death toll that Pence did not mention in his glowing assessment of Trump’s “vision” for America.

Updated Aug. 06, 2020 9:54AM ET / Published Aug. 06, 2020 12:01AM ET

A hundred years have passed since the roaring ‘20s. While much of American culture has evolved, at least one concept has stuck around: the elusive American Dream. In his 1931 book, The Epic of America, investment-banker-turned-historian James Truslow Adams coined the phrase for the first time. The American Dream, he wrote, is “not a dream of motor cars and high wages merely,” but rather “that dream of a land in which life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement.” The ideological dream of a better life—with equal opportunity no matter where you come from—certainly stands the test of time. But what does that actually look like?

Between the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, the image of the ideal path to success appears quite different. An American Pickle, the new HBO Max original film starring Seth Rogen, explores that shift through the story of Herschel Greenbaum (Rogen), a 1920s laborer who is brined in a vat of pickles for 100 years and emerges unscathed in the present day. There he finds his great grandson Ben (Rogen), an app developer living in Brooklyn whose modern day ideals clash with Herschel’s own old world aspirations. For a deeper look into the nuances of the cultural shifts over the last century, stream An American Pickle on HBO Max, and read on.

So what does the American Dream really look like? Stream An American Pickle, only available on HBO Max to see Ben and Herschel’s paths collide as they figure it out.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: August 13, 2020, 04:12:22 AM »
I doubt my kids know more than ten words of their mothers language, even though they hear it a lot. I doubt there will be any stories on KH speaking anything but English

Oh good grief.  I learned to speak Russian even before I went to Brazil, because my Grandma spoke Russian.  You do not need everyone in your extended family to speak a given language when you are 4 or 5 years old, 1 is enough.  I forgot the Russian though long ago.  Never learned to read the Cyrrilic Alphabet either, so I never could read it.

In any case, it is irrelevant, because nobody gives a shit if KH and speak Hindi or not.  It is a non-issue.

RE
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 04:15:00 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: August 13, 2020, 11:16:19 AM »
One who can't speak English will do it, because once again, you're motivated to communicate with them. Other extended family  probably could also speak it, including your parent, but they could address you in English.

I've never said a word of my father s native tongue to him, but often spoke it to my grandmother in order to get my point across in very limited vocabulary. I was also comfortable to open my mouth to her as it was important to transact information, not fit in. Most second generation immigrants are not comfortable using what language they have because it is belaboured and too heavily accented. Your mother in Brazil similarly, also probably picked up a  few words and phrases but didn't say them. Kamala Harris would have felt like her at the feijordas where you say everyone was speaking Portugese, because that is the typical experience of mixed people in presence of their black (small b) family.

That was my point to edpell, as her blackness is an issue to critics at 1/4 more than it was for Obama at 1/2. To the right wing resistance, he wasn't the first black president, because he was just as white. He was also called the Kenyan impostor, despite being almost guaranteed to not speak Swahili, Kikoyo, or Maasai.

There are huge differences in peoples abilities to learn languages and in different ways. I can think of a friend who was about 18 at the time and wanted to know a simple greeting. It must have taken him twenty attempts to approximate four words. I also knew a 16 yr old kid from Nepal who was getting experience in workshop once or twice a week after school. I saw him fluently talking to customers l in Afghan faarzi and South Indian thamil. I told the owner of the business he would be wasting his brains to be a mechanic.

I can't learn unless I'm actually taught, but then can learn a lot that way. From 35 yrs ago I remember Portugese for: Are you gay? Do you want a fuck in the ass? Do you want a beating? Stop jerking off.. all the important things friends think u need to get by.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 11:30:55 AM by Phil Rumpole »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: August 13, 2020, 11:26:34 AM »
I can't learn unless I'm actually taught, but then can learn a lot that way. From 35 yrs ago I remember Portugese for: Are you gay? Do you want a fuck in the ass? Do you want a beating? Stop masturbating.. all the important things friends think u need to get by.

I am basically an autodidact, I teach myself just about everything.  I have always been that way, even before I started school.  It's why I learned to read so young.  I was never taught to read.

Far as important phrases go, I learned a few good Swedish ones while traveling through Europe.  :icon_sunny:

Kan jag fo en ol tak? (Can I have a beer please?)
Var ar toileten?  (Where's the bathroom?)
Vil du sova med mig?  (Will you you sleep with me?)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #1253 on: August 13, 2020, 07:31:06 PM »
I wish Surly1 was here to advocate for Kamala.  I can't do it.  I don't think this Empire can pull itself up by the bootstraps and if it is just more of the same it is good that it can't IMO.  The only way from my point of view is a hard reset.  The red ring of death, a blue screen of death.  We be there.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Phil Rumpole

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: August 14, 2020, 12:03:26 AM »
I wish Surly1 was here to advocate for Kamala.  I can't do it.  I don't think this Empire can pull itself up by the bootstraps and if it is just more of the same it is good that it can't IMO.  The only way from my point of view is a hard reset.  The red ring of death, a blue screen of death.  We be there.

Disappointing, I thought she might stand for more than ambition

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8zh1fIaneY
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 12:05:29 AM by Phil Rumpole »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Trump’s battle with Postal Service may affect vote by mai
« Reply #1255 on: August 14, 2020, 01:41:26 AM »
If USPS is underfunded any more than they already are, they will be COMPLETELY worthless.  UPS and FedEx both blow them off the map for package delivery.  ::)

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fRI3LgM94-M" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fRI3LgM94-M</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Democrats raise alarm bells over Post Office concerns
« Reply #1256 on: August 16, 2020, 08:58:21 PM »
Trumpovetsky is grasping at straws now.   ::)

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sbFLugLe9b4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sbFLugLe9b4</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Trump Opposes USPS Funding Because Of Mail-in Voting
« Reply #1257 on: August 17, 2020, 01:11:35 AM »
This election is going to be a HOOT!   :icon_mrgreen:

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0sXXJD6gfhA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0sXXJD6gfhA</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Senator Cory Booker on the DNC, Kamala Harris and the fight over USPS
« Reply #1258 on: August 17, 2020, 01:10:56 PM »
Looking more & more like the Demodopes have got their ducks in  a row,

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ruOX-Si2Paw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ruOX-Si2Paw</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🗳️ Trumpofsky attacks the USPS
« Reply #1259 on: August 18, 2020, 08:01:48 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZ5_EUiwrQE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gZ5_EUiwrQE</a>
Save As Many As You Can