AuthorTopic: Primitive Ways website  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Primitive Ways website
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
From the old Yahoo board:

Primitive Ways
For those of you concerned that Primitive Techniques have been irretrievably
lost, your worries are over! I just turned up a great website which describes
all sorts of ways for primitive firemaking, making your own Bowstrings from
Flax, Antler Fishing Hooks, Bone Drills, you name it!

A great Reference Site for beginning a new Hobby. Print out all the stuff
before the Net goes down!

http://www.primitiveways.com/index.html
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

p01

Re: Primitive Ways website
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 06:36:20 AM »
Most excellent site!
As a side note, here's a video of some yuppies making their first hand-driven (as in not by firearms) kill. The emotional charge must have been overwhelming for someone who has not seen/done this from a young age (mammals are like that, the basics have to to be taught by parents in the first years of life, or they will be crippled - in popular culture in my country it used to be called "the first 7 years at home which define most of what you'll be in life"), but they managed to do it!

I was fortunate enough to have been forced to watch pig's slaughter (and countless domestic fowl) from a relatively young age, despite my mother's attempts to protect me from the "trauma", because my grandfather insisted I should know where that delicious fatback and drumsticks were coming from. But I still find it emotionally challenging killing a wild animal, and domesticated ones even more challenging, because you get somewhat attached to them.
However, this is the way it should be.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Pine For Survival‏
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 01:24:27 AM »
Pine For Survival‏

Use pine resin to stop bleeding, aid in starting a fire and making Wood Glue too!

Before Drugstores, Hardware Stores and Supermarkets...

If you are ever in the woods and you need to stop blood flowing from a wound, or to start a fire, or to glue anything together, the pine tree offers a solution to each of those situations!

The resin is just the right consistency that it can be pushed into service as an emergency band aid.

The sticky sap contains turpentine, which is flammable and makes a great fire starter.

If cooked, this sap boils down to a substance that can be used the way you might use an epoxy resin.

Nature provides everything we need. Let's rediscover what our ancestors knew before the convenience of drugstores, hardware stores and supermarkets.

--Bibi Farber

This video was produced by www.woodlands.co.uk/tv .

Pine Resin - uses for forest pine

http://www.nextworldtv.com/videos/homesteading-skills/the-many-amazing-uses-of-pine-.html
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.