AuthorTopic: Golden Oxen's Newz Channel  (Read 170056 times)

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
Re: Golden Oxen's Newz Channel
« Reply #1365 on: May 21, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »
What do you think we could all do, if anything? As someone quoted Lenin, "What is to be done." I can see the United States falling into the existence of Syria or Libya, even without being attacked from an external point.

Chris Hedge's recent articles that have been posted here by several Diners have many good suggestions, but they largely boil down to becoming more self-reliant and building up your local community, so you are less dependent on the national and global infrastructure, both enhancing your resilience and limiting their power.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Oxen's News Channel - Tiffanys
« Reply #1366 on: May 23, 2018, 06:57:31 AM »
 Tiffanys just hit an all time high a  moment ago Dear Readers, as they are shuttering malls and Sears stores through out the country to name just one.

Something is very rotten in the sate of Denmark me thinks. Very Rotten.  :( :-\ :emthdown:

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 06, 2018, 06:41:40 PM »
Good night Diners, brain dead from the market today, speculative orgy as it makes new highs in many sectors. Dow up 350.

Pleasant day on the forum today. Summer seems to brighten everything up a bit.

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
http://

www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/2149971/celebrity-chef-anthony-bourdain-dead-61

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 08, 2018, 05:15:08 AM »
Wow.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 08, 2018, 05:20:18 AM »
A Richard Cory moment. The quote below is from an article last year.

These days you'd be hard pressed to find a man more content with life. And he has good reason to be. In the past few years he's found himself elevated into a whole new realm of celebrity, with television hit after hit including No Reservations and The Layover, a best-selling graphic novel Get Jiro!, and a soon to be released documentary called The Last Magnificent, detailing the life of Jeremiah Tower, America's most influential celebrity chef.

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/article/1955207/despite-turbulent-years-his-early-20s-celebrity-chef-anthony

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vICuZwEMoTw&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vICuZwEMoTw&fs=1</a>

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
http://

www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/2149971/celebrity-chef-anthony-bourdain-dead-61

Holy shit!!!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #1372 on: June 08, 2018, 06:24:22 AM »
What, you mean a celebrity chef had died !!!  DOOM, DOOM, and thrice DOOM !!!
Never heard of him.   :icon_scratch:
"The State is a body of armed men."

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 08, 2018, 06:37:49 AM »
What, you mean a celebrity chef had died !!!  DOOM, DOOM, and thrice DOOM !!!
Never heard of him.   :icon_scratch:

Even though I haven't watched much TV in well over a decade, I knew who this guy was. Very famous guy here.

He was much more than just a celebrity chef. He was very into travel and offbeat foreign locations and interesting local foods...bit of a bad boy. Very fit and tattoos everywhere. He wrote several best selling books. He was basically a pop culture hero type.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 08, 2018, 06:40:47 AM »
A Richard Cory moment. The quote below is from an article last year.

These days you'd be hard pressed to find a man more content with life. And he has good reason to be. In the past few years he's found himself elevated into a whole new realm of celebrity, with television hit after hit including No Reservations and The Layover, a best-selling graphic novel Get Jiro!, and a soon to be released documentary called The Last Magnificent, detailing the life of Jeremiah Tower, America's most influential celebrity chef.

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/style/article/1955207/despite-turbulent-years-his-early-20s-celebrity-chef-anthony

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vICuZwEMoTw&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vICuZwEMoTw&fs=1</a>

At least he went out on top.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: July 03, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »
Good Night Diners. Close to 100 degrees in Beantown today, never left the house it's so hot. Crazy weather indeed, a week of it.

Happy 4th of July. Never forget how lucky we were to be born in America.  :icon_sunny:

Boston Pops 4th July Concert 2016 Esplanade

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Wonder how much of this is going on.  My mind is so screwed up from all this cyber shit going on I can't even decide if it's good or bad anymore. What a mess this Cyber warfare is to try and figure out.  :icon_scratch:

bostonherald.com
Somerville company uncovers attempts to sell sensitive U.S. military documents on the dark web

A Somerville cybersecurity firm has unearthed an attempt to sell sensitive U.S. military documents on the dark web, with operational details of one of the Air Force’s most lethal drones and the Army’s tactics to avoid triggering IEDs.

“I’ve never seen information of this magnitude for sale on the dark web,” said Andrei Barysevich, a researcher with Somerville-based Recorded Future, referring to the anonymous internet realm often used to conduct shadowy and even illegal activity.

“The same tactics our military are using in Iraq, Afghanistan, were being offered for sale on the dark web,” said Barysevich, who said he found a posting on a hacking forum offering to sell documents from the U.S. Air Force with information on the MQ-9 Reaper drone for just $200. The documents, according to Recorded Future, include maintenance books for the Reaper. That information could be used to identify the drone’s weaknesses and the limits of its capabilities, Recorded Future said.

After engaging with the buyer, Barysevich and his team discovered the hacker had stolen another cache of documents, including the IED evasion guide and tank operations and tactics manuals.

“The same manual which cost decades to compile, to learn, all of the knowledge we have learned was now for sale,” Barysevich said. “The same methods we use to protect our soldiers could be for sale to potential terrorists.”

The hacker, who has not been identified, told Barysevich he was able to access the computer of an Air Force captain by exploiting a Netgear router. The captain, whose digital Cyber Awareness Challenge Certificate from February 2018 was also stolen by the hacker, was using a router that still used the default user name and password, Barysevich said.

“We’re talking about cyber hygiene 101. This is not a super-complicated procedure. This person should have definitely known better,” he said.

Barysevich said he and his team believe they have enough information to identify the hacker, and have shared their information with the Department of Homeland Security. He said the hacker appears to live in a South American country, but he declined to say which one.

The hacker, Barysevich said, told him he did not set out to steal military secrets. In fact, he said, it appears the hacker did not fully understand what he had stolen.

“He told us he stumbled on this information by accident,” Barysevich said. “The person didn’t really know the full value of these documents.”

Michael Corgan, a security expert and a Boston University professor, said the breach of sensitive military materials could induce a sense of vulnerability in U.S. troops.

“There’d be some discomfort out there,” Corgan said. “Somebody’s out there trying to sell it, make life far more difficult for them, far more dangerous for them.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/technology/2018/07/somerville_company_uncovers_attempts_to_sell_sensitive_us_military :icon_study:

Online Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Wonder how much of this is going on.  My mind is so screwed up from all this cyber shit going on I can't even decide if it's good or bad anymore. What a mess this Cyber warfare is to try and figure out.  :icon_scratch:

bostonherald.com
Somerville company uncovers attempts to sell sensitive U.S. military documents on the dark web

I suspect far, far more than we ever hear about, read about, or know about. Cyberwarfare and industrial sabotage are notoriously cost effective, meaning cheap for the perps. There's no way to know how many efforts are made for each that finds its way to our field of view, but I'd make a blind guess of 1:100. That may be low.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile

bostonherald.com

I suspect far, far more than we ever hear about, read about, or know about. Cyberwarfare and industrial sabotage are notoriously cost effective, meaning cheap for the perps. There's no way to know how many efforts are made for each that finds its way to our field of view, but I'd make a blind guess of 1:100. That may be low.

Yes, Imagine the taxpayers blowing 50 billion for a new weapon, and a hacker sells it to someone for a couple of hundred grand. 

Wondering also if it's a good or bad thing. Who would want to try out a secret weapon if he had a strong inkling the enemy knew all about it and was waiting with a deterrent and counter punch.  :icon_scratch:

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog

bostonherald.com

Yes, Imagine the taxpayers blowing 50 billion for a new weapon, and a hacker sells it to someone for a couple of hundred grand. 

Wondering also if it's a good or bad thing. Who would want to try out a secret weapon if he had a strong inkling the enemy knew all about it and was waiting with a deterrent and counter punch.  :icon_scratch:

oops
It wasn't 200 grand.  GO wrote some fiction there.  Did he read it from the original memo and perhaps the paper got it wrong?

The excerpt from the article at the B. Globe:   
...said he found a posting on a hacking forum offering to sell documents from the U.S. Air Force with information on the MQ-9 Reaper drone for just $200. The documents...

Somebody is going to risk life in prison for $200.  A days pay? No, that is not going to happen.

It is one of those.  A story planted in the B. Globe without evidence there for you to emotionally believe it if you want.  It is meant to sow conformity and patriotism.   If it were true the FBI would not be letting anything out in the Boston Globe.  Think, they would be investigating the crime and setting honey traps.  They would be telling us why?

It is there to sow conformity and patriotism.  It is there to manipulate.  It promotes a meme.  It would be an irresponsible thing to disclose if true.

How easily we are deceived.

Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.