AuthorTopic: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant  (Read 235625 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 02:07:52 AM »
Today was something of a Watershed, and frankly I am getting WORRIED.  If DD REALLY takes off here, I am just in a World of Shit!  I gotta MANAGE this thing!  Acccckkkkk!

I like to engage in dialogue, I'm not a Pure Blogger.  In just ONE DAY though DD was inundated with WAY more stuff than I can respond to no matter how fast I keyboard!  There were some very interesting articles put up I want to respond to, but I can't do it! Its too MUCH already!

I need a new sifting paradigm.  This is very challenging overall.  ACCCCCKKKKK!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 03:21:41 AM »
An excellent problem to have!
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 10:51:22 PM »
An excellent problem to have!

No doubt there :-)  Much of my Paranoia about putting up a Magnificent FAILURE has now been alleviated.  Even if we grew no more than this, its already a spectacualrly interesting message board with many intelligent posters in the Commentariat.  However, Numbers wise growth rate is still pretty close to Exponential.

I'm still urging all the Ground Floor members here to go out and PLUG THE LIVING SHIT out of DD on any other website you frequent.

Peter mentioned in one of his posts the "divide and conquer" methodology used and the tendency of all the Bloggers to be in so much COMPETITION with each other for readership that its real hard to bring it all together so everybody isn't reinventing the wheel all the time.  I don't think DD can be all things to all people, but I do think that I am the BEST fucking Board Moderator on the Face of the Earth also :-)  I'm real Open Minded, I have a ton of Experience from both sides of the line, and I have a fabulous sense of humour!  I'm also very modest and self-effacing.  LOL.

The keys here are ii making the information Accessible through a good interface, which Peter has accomplished a lot with already though we still have a ways to go there.  The material has to be well organized and good for referencing through, and then you need good people posting up, which we already got quite a few of.

Its a Circus friends, and while our goal is to Inform, it is very important to Entertain as well when you deliver the message.  I'll do my best to keep it Entertaining, so On with the Show here!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Capital Flight & Unions: 40 years of Economic History in the FSofA
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 12:16:34 AM »
OK Folks, I think I FINALLY figured out how to start discussions of my main Blog Posts here in the Diner without starting a new thread for every one of them, unless they actually get so many responses they need their own thread.  I'm just linking them to the FFDR here and I'll title a starter post with the title of the blog post.

This one is for this Blog Article:
http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2012/04/13/capital-flight-and-unions-40-years-of-economic-history-in-the-fsofa/

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Capital Flight & Unions: 40 years of Economic History in the FSofA
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 03:17:53 AM »
Observational on the Music Vids I dropped in on this post (which I had to change a bit because since last year the Copyright Police have remove Embedding from the originals).

Joan Baez sang "Joe Hill" in the 1960s, but it is of course a story which goes back much further than that era.  The Boss sang "My Hometown" in the 1980s, but it is of course as true if not more so today than it was then.  Its Timeless stuff inside of our reference point here of industrial culture.  The system was in collapse in 1969, it was in collapse in 1985, it is in collapse today also.  Its been ongoing here for a long time already.  You could in fact make a very good case for saying its been collapsing from the very moment it began, and there have always been artists who have observed it in every era.  Be it Dickens in Industrial England or Springstein in the Industrial Heartland of the FSofA, the Dark Side of Industrialization adn Capitalism has been with us right from the beginning.  It NEVER worked, EVER.  It always was a means for a few to benefit at the expense of the many.

Your Hometown is gone now, as mine is now gone also.  The New York Shitty of my youth is no more. Only the shell remains, and it gets ever thinner here. Soon methinks, the shell will crack for good, and we must leave it all behind us.  A long and sad mistake was industrialization, following in the footsteps of the longer and sadder mistake of agriculture, which led to ownership of the Earth and the development of Money.

It is coming to an end now, and this is a GOOD thing. It was all a very log and drawn out MISTAKE.

RE

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Money & Evil
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 01:50:15 AM »
A response I made to Triv on TAE tonight on the subject of Money & Evil.  You can read all the responses in this thread on TAE at

http://theautomaticearth.org/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=19&id=2238&Itemid=96#2269

-- ------------
Quote from: Trivium4TW

But if it did, would you abolish the internet?

Me thinks you are projecting onto money the problems of humanity.

Some want to blame race. Others want to blame money.

MLK was right, IMHO - it is content of character that matters.

If you don't focus on the root cause, the problems will never truly be solved.

The problem is not the knife or the gun, the problem is the serial killer.

Since you didn't like the internet analogy, albeit it was kind of weak, how about guns?

Bah. I am not doing any "projecting" here, I'm just recounting for you the history of money.

It is also incorrect to assume that Evil only comes from the individual motivation of people, it is derived from systems as well. An individual Judge for instance can be a highly moral person, but he is constricted by the body of law under which he works. there are emergent properties of systems which supercede the individual human action. Money, more than even the Legal system has many emergent properties which make the system itself Evil, regarddless of who is running the show.

Far as the "Guns don't kill People, People kill People" argument goes, this is another Strawman argument. Guns ARE Evil, in the sense that they ridiculously shifted power balance across societies. You should read Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs and Steel" if you are not familiar with how Guns served to extiguish all but Industrial Society since they were invented. Guns are a manifestation of both Industrialization AND Money, they came as the result of the never ending Power Seeking that started with the development of Agriculture.

In short Triv, what you hold as True that Evil must come from the hearts of Men is not precisely correct, because Evil comes from systems and larger structures than the individual, and this form of evil is the most pervasive and deestructive, because it outlives the individuals and passes itself down through societies and through the millenia. Guns are Evil, Money is Evil, Property Ownership is Evil. These are all concepts, objuects, structures and systems that have fundamental problems and destroy the balance that Homo Sapiens has to have with the environment to survive here.

These things must be eradicated, and so they will be by the Finger of God here. The Money will destroy itself, and all the Hardware will go down to the Bottom of Davey Jones Locker, and the Guns and the Money will be No More. One can only HOPE there will be a few Homo Sapiens left standing after this all goes own here, but go down it will. I the end, the Meek Shall Inherit the Earth. Right AFTER the Meek get very, VERY Angry.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 05:41:19 AM »
Bestowing human traits on inanimate objects is an irrational cop out, that tries to shift the blame for what we have done to ourselves elsewhere. It is just another distraction from trying to understand what the hell we did to ourselves, or let happen, and how to correct it.

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 05:49:16 AM »
Taking this logic one step further to the root cause; is it not our sense of being separate entities who do not depend on the wellbeing of others for our own wellbeing the root cause of all the examples of evil being provided here?  Are not representations of evil the extreme case of this separation?  We say that greed and ego are ultimate expressions of evil, but what are greed and evil if not separation and self-interest distilled?  Do we find these examples of evil in societies that embrace the concepts of what's good for you is good for me?  Are there evil Buddhists, for example, who are the epitome of understanding separation is illusion?

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 12:39:41 PM »
Bestowing human traits on inanimate objects is an irrational cop out, that tries to shift the blame for what we have done to ourselves elsewhere. It is just another distraction from trying to understand what the hell we did to ourselves, or let happen, and how to correct it.

Systems are not inanimate objects, they are group operating laws which govern the behavior of many living things.  You see such emergent properties in a swarm of bees or herd of bison for example.  Money is an Op System which is corrupt from the get-go and it is because we operate by this system that we have destroyed the plaet we live on.  The only chance we have for survival as a species is to wipe money from the face of the Earth forever more.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
To Serve Man
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 03:55:35 PM »
Hey I found this great Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man"  They mention the Aliens have a tiny source of cheap power!  Rod Serling knew all about Zero Point Energy back in 1960!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U5NWCD7D5n8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/U5NWCD7D5n8</a>

OK, I know you guys don't take Rod Serling and Twilight Zone seriously, but I do!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Obsolete Man
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 04:01:24 PM »
RS also got the Fascism thing figured out back then

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oADlQPJ_Zfc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oADlQPJ_Zfc</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 05:57:31 PM »
Ok, here goes (in my best Bullwinkle voice):

Spider, spider,
On the wall.
Have you no brains at all?
Can't you see that wall's been plastered?
Boy you're dumb, you little....
Spider.

I swear that's from the R&B Show, I swear! I used to love that show.

Jb

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 03:46:47 AM »
Something amiss at TAE. Dearth of postings, no new articles ???

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 09:38:10 AM »
Something amiss at TAE. Dearth of postings, no new articles ???

They seem to be having something of an existential crisis over there.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »
Just read today's Rant. The observations about technology enslaving rather than liberating are on the mark.

I used to think that, yeah, they'd continue Medicare in some way, but you'd have to submit to being "chipped" in order to receive it-- the Mark of the Beast. But, as you observe, who needs a chip in the arm when everybody enthusiastically steps into the traces and takes their tether with them?

"There's an app for that..."

Just caught up with the Rod Serling "Obsolete" piece in the grant. Just amazing. Historians of the future may unearth this stuff and say, "these people knew what was coming... and they did nothing about it."
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound