AuthorTopic: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant  (Read 235524 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
1984 Collapses
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 04:02:24 PM »
I caught that Rod Serling clip on somebody else's website a while back but couldn't remember where and took a couple of days to track it down.  It wasn't in the article when I originally published it on TBP.  However, it relates so well to recent conversations here that I had to include it in the article.  His teleplays are absolutely timeless.

Anyhow, this is the reason I HOPE I am right and the Illuminati do not have Zero Point Energy waiting in the wings here.  If they had it, the Fascist State could last in perpetuity.  Again though, it makes no sense to me why they would muck around with Nukes if they had ZPE.  Why bother with the Euro Dog & Pony Show?  I remain of the opinion that the Illuminati are at the end of the line here, and the collapse of power systems that run the electronics that maintains the Orwellian will spell the end of days of the 1984 vision.

To be replaced of course by this vision for a while in many places, which is not much better

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wZ3H-GgH_Pc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wZ3H-GgH_Pc</a>

To eventually to return to the Big island of Hawaii some day far in the future.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2FglNdqHRUY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2FglNdqHRUY</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
great piece, RE. thanks for the lesson. as to your comment, this navigator, mau piailug, died in 2010.

' To Navigate You Must Be Brave

To Be Brave You Must Remember,

If I Have Courage It Is Because I Have

Remembered the teachings Of My Father '

- Mau Piailug

i bookmarked the related youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/maupiailugsociety

until i found the wisemen and wisewomen at TEOTWAWKI, i had two fathers and no fathers, two mothers and no mothers; a grotesque metaphor; ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space, spiritualized-like.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:23:58 PM by reanteben »

Offline Danno

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
    • lake we borg
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 05:36:38 PM »

Jacques Ellul does a good job of explaining our worship of technology. If you like the first part, click to youtube and watch the next five.

Best, Dan.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LdogID589Mk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LdogID589Mk</a>

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »
Boy, I just love 'Children Without Men.' What a great movie; so much to take away from that one.

There's one street battle scene where the rebels take on the military. As they drop dead, the poor vagrants run out and grab their shoes... Later you see them living in abandoned hotels, cars, where ever they can. The immigrants are 'deported' (ahem) to the countryside never to be seen again....

Awesome. A must watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Jb

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2012, 09:08:31 PM »
Boy, I just love 'Children Without Men.' What a great movie; so much to take away from that one.

There's one street battle scene where the rebels take on the military. As they drop dead, the poor vagrants run out and grab their shoes... Later you see them living in abandoned hotels, cars, where ever they can. The immigrants are 'deported' (ahem) to the countryside never to be seen again....

Awesome. A must watch for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Jb

Awesome must see but not if you order it with that title.

It's "Children OF Men" JB.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2012, 11:38:19 PM »
Great reply to Ashvin on TAE and it's problems tonight RE. Left you a thank you. Got to hand it to ELG, he packed his bags and got out right before the crash. As to Ashvin's last posting and half assed apology, f--k him. There is other stuff wrong, you can bet, they are hiding for sure. Probably over your most despised, The Root of All Evil.   GO
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 11:48:46 PM by Golden Oxen »

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2012, 11:53:01 PM »
Great reply to Ashvin on TAE and it's problems tonight RE. Left you a thank you. Got to hand it to ELG, he packed his bags and got out right before the crash. As to Ashvin's last posting and half assed apology, f--k him. There is other stuff wrong, you can bet, they are hiding for sure. Probably over your most despised, The Root of All Evil.   GO

Thanks GO.  Here for the record is what I wrote on TAE in this thread

Quote from: Ashvin
The one thing TAE is not for me, unlike Ilargi, is a business. That's my luxury, and his curse. We are all equally critical of our money-oriented, greed-filled society, but he is still required to put A LOT of effort into making TAE a profitable operation. I, on the other hand, really don't care if the "customers" are comfortable and happy. I want people to keep reading, and I will do anything within my power to make the site more user-friendly and agreeable, but I won't ever apologize for what I do here or re-think why I do it.

I've been resisting the temptation to drop in on this thread here on TAE until now, even though I have made mention of the problems TAE is having on the Diner. Now that Ashvin has expressed his opinion and rationale, I'm going to state my opinion here.

First off, since this is a Bizness Proposition for Ilargi and Stoneleigh as well as simply a place to publish their ideas, I cannot understand why they would let it descend into the kind of chaos it is currently experiencing. The Globe Trotting in Oz is not a good excuse, I travel plenty and always take my Laptop with me, and even in fucking Siberia these days you can get an internet connection every couple of days or so to check in. There also is always plenty of material to write about when you are on the road, since you see new things all the time. If either of them wanted to keep Blogging, they are perfectly capable of doing so and there is no dearth of material out there to blog on every day.

They left the blog to Ashvin to maintain during their absence, and he explains clearly enough in the above paragraph his attitude here. He's not going to be apologetic for whatever he writes, and he's not going to make adjustments to it either. He's just blogging his thoughts, and any blogger is always free to do that, as long as said blogger doesn't CARE whether there is readership of his blog or not.

The result of all this along with the format change in the comment area has been to radically change the spin and "feel" of TAE, and "Old Timers" are expressing their dissatisfaction with that. It takes a long time to build up a readership base on a Blog, but you can turn off that base in a mighty big hurry also.

TAE has been an important Blog here over the last 4 years since the 2008 Financial Collapse, but it is now IN TROUBLE for numerous reasons, and it is by no means all Ashvin's "fault" here. Stoneleigh and Ilargi also must bear responsibility for this, and if they do not show up in here soon to reasure their readership and get things back on track, TAE will LOSE what they worked so hard to build here.

On other topics, I find it fascinating that Ash is currently making a living at the Poker Table, and also wonder if he'll ever get round to the Geotectonic Heat Transfer Theory alternative to AGW?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 04:07:46 AM »
thanks dan for posting 'the betrayal of technology'. jaques ellul was superb.

Offline EndIsNigh

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 10:48:02 PM »
Yes, thank you Dan for the link.  Great stuff.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Searching for Bobby Fischer
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2012, 05:39:37 PM »

Just back from the Matanuska-Susitna River Valley Elementary School Chess Tournament.

I am proud to report that in our first competition as a Team against all the rest of the Elementary Schools in the Matanuska-Susitna River Vally, out of 16 schools competing we took 3rd Place.  All the rest of the teams are from the Public Schools, ours was the only one entered for Homeschoolers/Private Education.  To make an almost full team of 9 (10 is max) we combined my group of 5 intrepid Trebuchet builders with 4 traditional Homeschoolers who all signed up as a single team.  Top 7 scores count.  You get 1 point for a win, 0 for a loss, .5 for a stalemate or draw.  The tournament goes 7 rounds so your max individual score is 7 points if you win every game.  15 minutes on your clock, so 30 minutes maximum time for the game.  Touch-Move Rules. We started at 9 this morning and finished around 2:30PM

We lost out to Shaw and Knik, both schools with hundreds of students and well developed Chess Clubs.  My Chess Warriors are all first year Chess players except for one who learned some from his Dad before this year.  He did the best out of the group with 5 wins.  One of the Homeschoolers also had 5 wins.  The rest of our counted scores were all 4 or 4.5 Points., 3 of them from my group and 2 from the Homeschoolers.

For my group, attendance at the Tournament was Mandatory since I am teaching Chess as part of my curriculum, its not a Club.  This was their "Final Exam".  We play chess or discuss strategy twice a week for about 1 hour.  It is IMHO one of the finest games ever invented for learning to think ahead, develop strategy and spatial awareness and how to focus your mind.  Go is the only other game you can make a case for it being as good, but its not a very popular game in the Western countries.

Gender demographics at the tournament were the usual Male Dominated at about 5:1 ratio.  I remain unsure as to whether this is a cultural or genetic discrepancy, I think it is mostly genetic though.  Chess favors a more aggressive nature found more often in Boys.  In the top 20 of 84 Players, there were no Girls.

As we look forward to the end of the Age of Oil and Electronic Joystick Games, Chess will endure through it all.  I played Chess on Ipanema Beach in Rio as a 6 year old using sea shells and rocks and cans of Fanta Orange soda, drawing out the 64 squares of the board by hand in the sand many times.  The Game was invented long before there were joysticks and video screens, and depend on nothing but the Mind of the Individual really.  It is possible to play chess with no board at all and just do the game in your head, that is how you play multiple boards at the same time.  When I was young I could do this, I can no longer though, brain cells too stiff with age and I just do not play enough anymore to do it.

There is no element of "chance" in Chess as there is in say Backgammon or Poker or Bridge, other very good games but all dependent on the Roll of the Dice or the Deal of the Cards.  The miniscule advantage you get by playing first with White dissipates quickly if you play someone of equal ability.  There are no guaranteed victory strategies you can play by memorizing games, though this does help you if you have many memorized.  Modern computers have now exceeded the ability of even the top Grandmasters mainly by crunching through billions of possibilities in nanoseconds, but no Grandmaster ever goes that deep, its done more by developing strategy and securing the space.  I think the AI now does some of this as well.

In the world to come, I consider Chess as important to teach as how to construct a Trebuchet or how to field dress a Caribou or Filet a Fish.  It refines your thinking and focuses your mind.  It also teaches you that there are Winners and Losers in a very real sense, and that the smallest of mistakes can drop you into the LOSER category very quickly.  It also transfers to other areas very well, for me a Debate is just like a Chess Game.  You build a case; you feignt; you misdirect; you ATTACK when you see an opening and then you go in for the KILL.  From my POV, these kids will not SURVIVE if they do not know how to go in for the KILL when necessary here.  They are the generation destined to fight the Last Battle for ALL THE MARBLES.  You don't win against the Illuminati playing White if you are Stupid and playing Black, and you don't win by playing nice either.  You win by TAKING OUT their Pawns and then their Bishops and Knights and Rooks, until you finally get the Queen and leave the King isolated.  We NEED really good Chess Players in this game, and I hope I can teach a few how this game is played.

Metaphors aside here, its nice to get away from the Doom for a few hours and play/watch some Chess. I occassionally still play some against my computer, but of course the damn thing is so good I can't beat it unless I turn down the settings a couple of notches.  I'm no Bobby Fischer or Gary Kasparov either, but I do the best I can to teach what I do know about how to play the game of Chess.  No Josh Weitzman's either in my classroom so far, but ya never know, one may turn up here someday.  I am Searching for Bobby Fischer.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sSV2IFNgqI4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sSV2IFNgqI4</a>

RE
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:50:07 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Bobby Fischer
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2012, 06:27:40 PM »
Damn that was a good Rant!  I decided to make it a Feature Post on the Blog also now.  When my own prose makes me tear up, I know its a good one.  Inspirado is still in there,I  don't have to rely on all the Old Stuff. At least when I have time enough in the day to write a new one.

Yes, I know, I am full of myself.  But crap, that was STILL a really good post!  LOL.

And here, still MORE great scenes from "Searching for Bobby Fischer".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fLsa6hjtsrY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fLsa6hjtsrY</a>

RE
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 07:57:18 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2012, 08:06:58 PM »
Where does all this come from?  In 1972 when Fischer played Spassky, I was at the height of my chess playing years on the Stuyvesant HS team.  It consumed me at the age of 15.

For fans of Chess, here is some analysis of the Ruy Lopez in the 10th Game of that match

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qx3bIn5z2Ng" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qx3bIn5z2Ng</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »
kids playing with rocks'll get you every time.

fantastic post. you're a saint.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:13:11 PM by RE »

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2012, 09:09:36 PM »
kids playing with rocks'll get you every time.

fantastic post. you're a saint.

"Saint RE" is definitely a step up from "Demagogue RE" or "Uncle Joe Stalin RE", other titles I have had bestowed on me over over the years here of writing on the collapse.

My Saintliness is questionable, what is coming down the pipe here is without question.  I only partially argue logically to explain the truth as I see it.  To a greater extent, I try to kick the reader in the Gonads, and showing how our choices now impact on the innocents does this very well.

I SEE Dead People.

RE
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 09:12:01 PM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2012, 12:45:11 AM »
Where does all this come from?  In 1972 when Fischer played Spassky, I was at the height of my chess playing years on the Stuyvesant HS team.  It consumed me at the age of 15.

For fans of Chess, here is some analysis of the Ruy Lopez in the 10th Game of that match

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/qx3bIn5z2Ng" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/qx3bIn5z2Ng</a>

RE

you went to stuyvesant, huh? more nerd credentials. my brother went to Stuy. i woulda gone, too, but we moved to california after 9th grade. i chose to stay at JHS104 for 9th grade, on 21st St. between first and second ave. woulda got to go to the new campus down in battery park. i think i thought that was cool at the time mostly because it would've entailed playing basketball in a nice new gym. the old stuyvesant building, i think i was told, had pillars in the middle of the gym (can you confirm this?), or maybe it was just too small for a full-size basketball court, so the Stuy Peglegs used to play home games in our gym since we were just up the street. we never got to play them which was just as well for them, LOL. we had ridiculous talent and of course you had to excel at standardized testing to get into Stuy which greatly limited the talent pool except i suppose for fringe endeavors such as upward mobility and chess.