AuthorTopic: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant  (Read 236934 times)

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🚜 Clearing the Ice for Happy Motoring on the Last Great Frontier
« Reply #1620 on: March 19, 2018, 03:52:44 AM »
Yes, Happy Motoring is Sustainable and Renewable.  We'll just convert all the plows to EVs.  ::)

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s1ARlZUjuiM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s1ARlZUjuiM</a>
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:54:41 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Connections with the Past
« Reply #1621 on: April 20, 2018, 07:54:24 AM »
I spoke this morning with an old friend I haven't talked to in 40 years.  He was one of my college roommates at Columbia in my Sophomore year.  He also was a cohort of mine on the Columbia Spectator.  Following college, he pursued a career in Journalism and off and on I have seen his byline in various newspapers from the NYC-Long Island area from the MSM.  I ran into another one a couple of weeks ago and decided to try and contact him.  Unlike other contact requests I have tried with other old college buddies, this one proved successful.  He responded and we had a few email exchanges and this morning we actually talked via the magic of cell phone communications from AK to NY.

He has maintained contact with some of our other cohorts from those years who also stayed around NYC pursuing one type of career or another.  So I found out some reader's digest  reports of their lives over the last 40 years also.  This is emotionally very gratifying for me, even though it mostly make me cry.  When you think back in detail on your youth and know it will never come again, this is tear inducing.

It is still good though to make these connections again, it ties together your life.  I am glad we talked at least one more time before I Buy my Ticket to the Great Beyond.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant
« Reply #1622 on: April 20, 2018, 08:33:16 AM »
Cool.

I sort of grew up in a bubble, although I didn't realize it at the time. An anomalous situation. Twelve years of school on one small town America campus, with about 70 or so kids whom I mostly knew all the way from 1st grade to my senior year. Smallville with no Superman to make it interesting.

I didn't have that many friends, never was a popular kid...not even the smartest kid, since I rode the school bus with two brothers who were off the IQ charts. (Both became physicians). I was hot to leave that town behind me...spent all of high school chomping at the bit to move on.

High school graduation turned out to be a letdown. I walked around in a funk for a week.

And...with very few exceptions, I never saw a single one of those people ever again. My high school best friend was my college roommate for a couple of years, but then we went very different ways, although we ended up in the same profession, ultimately. But the bond was broken.

It's something I've noticed in life, a pattern. I get used to some very repetitive, boring, long term situation, and then when it finally suddenly ends, I find myself kind of lost.

It was that way when my girls were in club soccer. Every Thanksgiving, for a number of years, meant a trip to Dallas for a tournament. Every spring was another tournament near Texas A&M in Bryan. Every weekend was a game somewhere. It was like it was going to go on forever, but it didn't. One day it ended and it all became history.

That catches me off-guard. I can't help but think that's kind of like what happens when married people lose their long term partners. A certain part of your life is just...over. The book is finished. Written in stone.

If you step on a rainbow and go home to Jesus I fear the Diner will have been one of those...whatever they are, don't exactly know what to call it.

I did recently reconnect with my long-lost cousin, whom I've known my whole life, and was close to in early college. She was an Air Force brat and they lived all over. We married into the same family, and both our partners ended up dying young. Hers to cancer at 23 and mine murdered at 28 (although we'd been divorced a while at that point).

She got the DNA test and found me on 23andme. LOL. She's even more Neanderthal than I am...off the charts. And she was quite pulchitrudinous when she was young. Gives support to my argument that humans mated with Neanderthals cuz the women were hotter.  :)

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: April 20, 2018, 08:49:06 AM »
And she was quite pulchitrudinous when she was young.

I had to Google that one.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: April 20, 2018, 08:57:48 AM »
She probably still is. She never had kids. I don't do social media and I have no idea, but now that I've thought about it, I wonder. (But not enough to go on FB to find out.)

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #1625 on: April 20, 2018, 09:01:45 AM »

RE

How in the hell did you even learn that word to begin with Eddie? This is the first I've ever heard tale of such a word.

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: April 20, 2018, 09:03:33 AM »
I reads a lot.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: April 20, 2018, 09:05:29 AM »
She probably still is. She never had kids. I don't do social media and I have no idea, but now that I've thought about it, I wonder. (But not enough to go on FB to find out.)

She probably ended up as a Centerfold for Neanderthal Playboy  (warning, violates the CoC on exposed genitalia)

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1628 on: April 20, 2018, 09:25:25 AM »

RE

How in the hell did you even learn that word to begin with Eddie? This is the first I've ever heard tale of such a word.

"Rubensian," even. Although probably too muscular.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: April 20, 2018, 09:30:08 AM »
My cuz looked like one of those Wood girls...sort of a cross between Natalie Wood and Kimba Wood.

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: April 20, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »

That catches me off-guard. I can't help but think that's kind of like what happens when married people lose their long term partners. A certain part of your life is just...over. The book is finished. Written in stone.
Yup pretty much. It takes a while to get your bearings and figure out what the hell kind of book you are going to write now...
Being adopted, I took a DNA test. Apart of confirming what was obvious (english, irish, scandinavia i.e. painfully white)  it mentioned I have a higher than average concentration of Neanderthal DNA...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:23:25 PM by David B. »
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Offline cernunnos5

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: April 20, 2018, 06:43:05 PM »

She probably ended up as a Centerfold for Neanderthal Playboy  (warning, violates the CoC on exposed genitalia)

RE

I believe I dated her once. What can I say, It was a cold, lonely winter in my bus. Two days after I told her to get the fuck out and drove away, I wrote a country song that made that crazy winter well worth it.

Eh Hem. Memememe....

My women left me. Took my Ford and my dog. Sure gonna miss... that dog.
She was an old pit bull. Then again, so was the dog. I guess that's what I get for trying to drag some tail along.
Always breaking down. That'ed be me and the ford.
I just kepts them all to keep from being board.

Now, I only kepts her to bite thieves and scare the bears
And I doubts my house will ever get cleaned out of all the hairs.
She snarled and bit and whined, but then again, don't gets me wrong.
That also all applied to the dog.

Alittle make-up and she might not seem so weird.
Gots some kind of hairstyle, trimmed her nails,,, and shaved her beard.
I seen a Sasquatch once. Remember to this hour.
The first time that she stepped out of the shower.

The next to come along will surely give me less surprise
If I stop drinking and start thinking,....
Take more showers... and check my eyes

My women left me. Took my Ford and my dog.
Sure gonna miss... that dog.

And that, Brothers and Sisters of the Apocalypse... is why there is alot of Neanderthal genes in the gene pool.... and why it will survive the the fall of homo sapiens civilization. Long lonely nights in the mountains.

Sooooo..... How about that local sports group....... ninja smoke bomb.... ;)

Offline Nearingsfault

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: April 20, 2018, 07:38:25 PM »
 I just fell off my 5 gallon bucket seat reading this as I tend the sap boiler. My first thought when I saw the picture was: "I dated that woman"
If its important then try something, fail, disect, learn from it, try again, and again and again until it kills you or you succeed.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🏔️ Frostbite Falls Daily Rant: RE gets a new office chair!
« Reply #1633 on: April 26, 2018, 05:13:10 AM »
After more than a decade sitting in the same El Cheapo office chair I picked up at Walmart after I arrived  here on the Last Great Frontier, I am replacing it with a classier model.

Here's the old chair model:

Here's the NEW chair model!  :icon_sunny:

First off, the foam on the old chair is dead, and my bony ass neds good foam especially given I am parked almost all the time I am awake in the Chair.  My only time off is when I am sitting on the throne, which I also need to get foam for.

Second, the upholstery is shot, it's thoroughly ratty looking especially on the armrests.

Third, the backrest isn't high enough.  I need a backrest I can lay my head against when I need to rest but don't want to go to the bed and lay down.

The NEW Chair fits all the criteria and didn't come in that expensive, $170, about triple what the old chair cost 11 years ago.  It also FULLY reclines with a slide out footrest!  I can actually SLEEP on this Chair!  If it had a hole and a porta potty under it, I'd almost never need to leave it!  We'll have to see how comfortable the foam and upholstery are on it.

Ordered last night, it won't arrive here on the Last Great Frontier until May 17-June 8, according to Amazon.  It's on the Slow Boat FROM China.  ::)  When it gets here, I'll have James assemble it for me.

Next up I need to order a new trike or 4-wheel scooter.

RE
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:18:26 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🏔️ Frostbite Falls Daily Rant: RE gets a new office chair!
« Reply #1634 on: April 26, 2018, 05:46:34 AM »

The NEW Chair fits all the criteria and didn't come in that expensive, $170, about triple what the old chair cost 11 years ago.  It also FULLY reclines with a slide out footrest! 

The leg elevation should be YUGE for you. Good luck with this.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound