PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Frostbite Falls Daily Rant

AuthorTopic: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant  (Read 232531 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant
« Reply #1650 on: May 09, 2018, 04:51:53 PM »
Belushi would be a great actor to play RE, just move the show to 5D.....
Tickets,Popcorn & da' big shew would be FREE,FREE,FREE.

Belushi is pretty high on my list but I think he would have trouble playing the thoughtful, sensitive side of RE.

RE

Aw,come on. Have you never seen Continental Divide?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYP5-Dl3rhg&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iYP5-Dl3rhg&fs=1</a>

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1651 on: May 09, 2018, 05:49:54 PM »
Belushi is pretty high on my list but I think he would have trouble playing the thoughtful, sensitive side of RE.

RE

Dafuq?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Computer Woes
« Reply #1652 on: May 22, 2018, 01:35:51 PM »
I mentioned in a prior post I am having computer problems, which is wreaking havoc with my new project of building the Diner Utoob site.  My main computer, the All-in-One Dell has developed an issue with the File Explorer, making it impossible to save anything or even to go retrieve saved files.  About the only thing that does work at the moment is the Browsers for surfing the Doomosphere.

I was working on new videos for my new series of I Spy Doom and SNAP Card Gourmet videos when this problem cropped up a couple of nights ago  I unfortunately lost one video I had just finished editing and seaming together in the Windows Media Maker, although fortunately I had the two files saved on my External Hard drive.

On the upside, I recently vastly increased my computer resiliency with 2 refurbished laptios, one now all-linux, the other dual-boot for Windows or Linux.  The second one is now blazingly fast and better thane new.  I upgraded it with a 500GB SSD Hard Drive and an 8GB stick of Ram and a full installation of the latest version of Win10, as well as Linux Ubuntu.  I am commited now though to only installing ssoftware I absoltely need on them to avoid getting all the sneaky programs all the stuff you download has hidden on board.  So I don't have a video editor for either of these computers as of yet, and not sure I will load one either.

Meanwhile, since I did manage to save the two parts, and got them up onto Utoob before lost irretrievably.  Normally, I would not have published them until next Sunday Brunch, but I didn't want to risk waiting.  Now I will just publish them both in the same blog.  For Regulars on the Diner, here they are.  You will learn a little more about my current problems in these vids, along with how to make a GREAT Ribeye Steak!  :icon_sunny:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zv-VkXW0Da0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Zv-VkXW0Da0</a>

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/H2L87Y5pZkI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/H2L87Y5pZkI</a>
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🛏️ New Bedroom!
« Reply #1653 on: June 05, 2018, 12:14:17 AM »
Brian coming up to visit motivated me for further cleaning and organizing of the Digs.  My Household Helper Serra did a nice job with the kitchen, bathroom and lliving room a few weeks ago, but the bedroom remained basically a storage room with lots of boxes of preps and virtually no floor space, even to drop down an inflatable mattress.  I wanted to have a Guest Room for visitors (not that I get many) where they would have some privacy and something a little more upscale than an air mattress on the floor.

I also need still MOAR shelving space for preps, and I am starting to run out of room along my longer wall space for typical shelving units.  I have purchased so far 6 industrial style shelves normally used for Garage storage to organize the Preps.  In order to kill 2 birds with one stone, I chose a Bunk Bed arrangement with a Full size mattress space on the bottom and a Twin size space on the top bunk.  The top bunk is not going to get a mattress, it will be an extra-large storage shelf for some larger prep items.  Here's the new bedroom set all assembled by Serra.

Bunk Beds
Bunk Beds

I haven't had bunk beds of my own since I was a kid in Brazil.  They replaced a set of BBs I got around age 5 before leaving, which I coveted and were hard for me to give up.  I remained unhappy until my parents replaced them after arriving there.  I slept in BBs over numerous summer vacations at summer camp, and then while in college I built a Loft Bed in my dorm room to maximize my floor space in a 10' X 12' closet.  After that I had a legitimate Queen size bed with my ex-wife and of course I slept for 7 years mainly in the bunk of my Freightliner.  After that I switched over to Queen size air mattresses which are cheap and EZ to move, and quite comfortable really.  Mostly I just dropped them on the floor until recently, now I have one dropped on the futon frame in my living room.  I can't get up from the floor anymore, I need to be above ground level to have a decent shot at making it to my feet for getting going with the daily tasks of the day.

One nice thing on the Decorator level is both the Futon Frame and the Bunk Beds are made from the same type of Steel Tubing, they look like a matched set.  Once Brian leaves, I will probably move back into the bedroom as my main sleeping quarters.  I can use the upper superstructure of the BBs to concoct some type of lift assist to help me get out of bed.

I still need to get a mattress for the BBs, I'll go out on a prep run tomorrow to shop around at the local Mattress King and see what they are coming in at these days.  If they are too expensive, Brian will get an Air Matress.  lol.

As you can see, there are still a lot of unsorted Preps in boxes cluttering up the bedroom.  However, it is a good deal neater and more organized than it was, as is the main living room.  I actually can find stuff now!  :o

RE

« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 12:25:15 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #1654 on: June 05, 2018, 01:12:55 AM »
That's three videos I've watched now, and you haven't even taken the steaks out of the box yet!
You need to get your head into the video frame.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: June 05, 2018, 01:21:10 AM »
That's three videos I've watched now, and you haven't even taken the steaks out of the box yet!
You need to get your head into the video frame.

Patience!  I cook the first steak in the next video!

Unfortunately, sometimes the camera slips in the tripod.  Next video my whole head is in there.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🛏️ New Bedroom!
« Reply #1656 on: June 05, 2018, 08:12:49 AM »
Brian coming up to visit motivated me for further cleaning and organizing of the Digs.  My Household Helper Serra did a nice job with the kitchen, bathroom and lliving room a few weeks ago, but the bedroom remained basically a storage room with lots of boxes of preps and virtually no floor space, even to drop down an inflatable mattress.  I wanted to have a Guest Room for visitors (not that I get many) where they would have some privacy and something a little more upscale than an air mattress on the floor.

I also need still MOAR shelving space for preps, and I am starting to run out of room along my longer wall space for typical shelving units.  I have purchased so far 6 industrial style shelves normally used for Garage storage to organize the Preps.  In order to kill 2 birds with one stone, I chose a Bunk Bed arrangement with a Full size mattress space on the bottom and a Twin size space on the top bunk.  The top bunk is not going to get a mattress, it will be an extra-large storage shelf for some larger prep items.  Here's the new bedroom set all assembled by Serra.

Bunk Beds
Bunk Beds

I haven't had bunk beds of my own since I was a kid in Brazil.  They replaced a set of BBs I got around age 5 before leaving, which I coveted and were hard for me to give up.  I remained unhappy until my parents replaced them after arriving there.  I slept in BBs over numerous summer vacations at summer camp, and then while in college I built a Loft Bed in my dorm room to maximize my floor space in a 10' X 12' closet.  After that I had a legitimate Queen size bed with my ex-wife and of course I slept for 7 years mainly in the bunk of my Freightliner.  After that I switched over to Queen size air mattresses which are cheap and EZ to move, and quite comfortable really.  Mostly I just dropped them on the floor until recently, now I have one dropped on the futon frame in my living room.  I can't get up from the floor anymore, I need to be above ground level to have a decent shot at making it to my feet for getting going with the daily tasks of the day.

One nice thing on the Decorator level is both the Futon Frame and the Bunk Beds are made from the same type of Steel Tubing, they look like a matched set.  Once Brian leaves, I will probably move back into the bedroom as my main sleeping quarters.  I can use the upper superstructure of the BBs to concoct some type of lift assist to help me get out of bed.

I still need to get a mattress for the BBs, I'll go out on a prep run tomorrow to shop around at the local Mattress King and see what they are coming in at these days.  If they are too expensive, Brian will get an Air Matress.  lol.

As you can see, there are still a lot of unsorted Preps in boxes cluttering up the bedroom.  However, it is a good deal neater and more organized than it was, as is the main living room.  I actually can find stuff now!  :o

RE

I can sleep okay on an inflatable, but when we got our current mattress at home, we went with a pricey memory foam. I was skeptical, but after sleeping on it for a few years, I've decided it was well worth whatever we paid. I used to turn over a hundred times a night. Now I can lie in one spot and not start to hurt.

Sometimes I wake up in the same position I was in when I dropped of. It was life changing for me. I think it might possibly make your bad situation a little better.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A Visitor from the Lower 48 Arrives
« Reply #1657 on: June 16, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
My friend Brian is up here from Spokane visiting with me this week so my regular daily columns of Doom Newz Links and the Diner Menu are on hiatus for the week.  I'll still check in and maybe make a post or two if something interesting turns up in the discussions.

We already had some adventures in the airport pickup, so I'll have plenty to write about after he leaves.  Meanwhile I am going to enjoy the novelty of have a live meat package here in the digs with me to talk to.

Have a great week in doom Diners!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile

The view from my porch seat where I contemplate the mysteries of the universe in a world of collapse

The Summer Solstice of my 60th year walking the Earth as a Meat Package has come and gone, and my 61st birthday looms ahead, if I make it that far.  It was a lovely day up here, cool temperatures and partly sunny, a bit of a change from the relatively constant dreary weather we have had most of the spring and early summer, with lots of overcast and lots of drizzle precipitation.  Overall good for keeping fire danger low and good for the farmers with plenty of water, but it isn't great for your mood.

This day sees me in worse shape than ever, I can no longer walk at all to speak of.  I can stand up and take a few small painful steps to transfer myself from one seat to another one is about it.  I am able to maneuver around the digs now with my Cripple Cart, Brian and I cleaned it and organized it so there are clear pathways to drive around from the toilet to the kitchen to the desk to the bed.  I have main parking spots for it right behind the desk and right next to the bed.  When at the desk, all I have to do is swivel my office chair facing away from the computer, and I can shift myself from the Office Chair to the Cripple Cart chair with no walking at all.  Same at the bed and at the toilet.

I will be taking myself to the ER once again, sometime next week I think but I am delayed and waiting for a new phone, because I broke my beloved Galaxy Mega while Brian was here, dropping it on the concrete of a parking lot and smashing the touchscreen, just like I did in Texas at the first Convocation.  That's a story for another day.  I am not going to get myself admitted into hospital again without a good working phone, this time could be even more extended.  I currently have my SIM card in a really old Iphone 4, which is a total piece of shit, but at least I can still call out and receive calls from the various doctors offices I have the endless appointments with.  I ordered a HTC U11, which comes in much cheaper than the current issue of Samsungs, but has received good reviews.  I got it for $350 as opposed to $950 for a Galaxy Note 8.

On other fronts, the Summer Solstice also marks the time of year the BIG BILL for the Diner comes due, paying for the server.  I paid the bill today, so the Diner will be up and running until the next Summer Solstice, whether I am still above ground or not.  This is a pretty FAT bill which lightens my wallet quite a bit, so if you haven't made a contribution to the Diner in 2018, this would be a good time to do it.  You can use the DONATE button on the Homepage of the Diner Blog for this. Contributions of any size are :hi:, if you are low income or UE you can ride for free on the Diner.  If you have a good job though and get information and enjoyment participating (or just lurking) on the Diner, you should help out some with the financial costs of this thing.

Obviously, my energy level is very low and it has been a struggle for me to write lately.  I hope to get a recharge on this, but there probably will be fewer blogs coming off my keyboard in the near future.  I have some stuff in the can though from before the health took this latest turn south, so the next couple of weeks are covered.

Otherwise, it's just another Doomy Day as I see it from my Perch on the Last Great Frontier.

RE
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:25:07 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
REMINDER: Summer Solstice time is Diner Server Renewal Time
« Reply #1659 on: June 23, 2018, 02:30:41 AM »
Thanks to the Diners who so far have Ponied Up to help me out with covering the Diner Bills for 2018-2019  :icon_sunny:, but so far less than 20% of the Diner bills were covered by anyone but yours truly.  Where's that legendary Diner Generosity? ???  :icon_scratch: Man does not live by Argument alone, you need $MONEY$ 🤑 to get into Napalm Contests on a good Ad Free site like the Diner!

Hopefully, some of you Cheapskates will get your wallets out here.  As mentioned, if you are a Poor Diner, you get a pass and you ride on the Diner for free.  For the rest of you though who still make good quantities of FRNs in the Industrial Economy, PONY UP!

re
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: REMINDER: Summer Solstice time is Diner Server Renewal Time
« Reply #1660 on: June 23, 2018, 06:48:07 AM »
Thanks to the Diners who so far have Ponied Up to help me out with covering the Diner Bills for 2018-2019  :icon_sunny:, but so far less than 20% of the Diner bills were covered by anyone but yours truly.  Where's that legendary Diner Generosity? ???  :icon_scratch: Man does not live by Argument alone, you need $MONEY$ 🤑 to get into Napalm Contests on a good Ad Free site like the Diner!

Hopefully, some of you Cheapskates will get your wallets out here.  As mentioned, if you are a Poor Diner, you get a pass and you ride on the Diner for free.  For the rest of you though who still make good quantities of FRNs in the Industrial Economy, PONY UP!

re

Hear, hear!

If you're a regular, even a nominal contribution will represent your best-spent entertainment dollars of the year!
Where else can you find a collection of exotica like this??!?
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: REMINDER: Summer Solstice time is Diner Server Renewal Time
« Reply #1661 on: June 24, 2018, 02:07:48 AM »

RE

Due to the generosity of one of the Diners, the Diner is now 62% User Supported for 2018-2019!  :icon_sunny:

I would of course like to see this at 100%, not just for my own wallet but also because when I buy my ticket to the Great Beyond, if the Diners don't support it financially, it will not continue.  Where will you get your daily dose of doom these days without the Diner?  Kunstler?  :emthdown:  Mr.Wizard?  :emthdown: Gail the Actuary?  :emthdown:  Dr. McStinksion?  :emthdown: :emthdown: :emthdown:  OK, Chris Hedges is still writing good stuff.  :emthup:  But does he have a good commentariat with intelligent and literate commenters?

I also am going to launch a Solstice Fundraiser to go beyond the yearly server cost, if we can make it that far.  It would be nice to have some money in the kitty for emergency purposes, like I gotta hire a Pro Code Jockey to fix something in a total crash.  I don't have Harry and the Database Cavalry from California to help me anymore.  Also it would be nice to add some functionality to the Diner; it would be great to have a Storefront where we could sell our products like Maple Syrup, Mangalitsa Bacon and Fermented Hot Peppers, as well as Diner Memorobilia like Coffee Mugs, T-Shirts and HATS!  :icon_mrgreen:  I am thinking for the Diner Official Hat with a Diner and/or SUN logo on it a Black Beret.  I found some nice wool ones at a good price I can bring in for silkscreening.  Also Black Pajamas to wear to bed!  You can be an Anarchist while you are sleeping!   ;D

Also not our own products but I would have "Best in Class" prep items such as Stihl Chainsaws for sale, along with "Best Value in Preps on a Low Budget" like Ryobi One+ Power Tools.  You don't make much money on these referral purchases, but you get something for everyone who buys one coming from your site.  It would be good to make the Diner self-supporting this way.

Anyhow, once again THANKS to the generous Diners who have given and to all you CHEAPSKATES with good jobs making plenty of FRNs who still haven't ponied up, you will be punished severely when you join me in the Great Beyond. :P

RE
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 03:40:52 AM by RE »
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Collapse Lull
« Reply #1662 on: July 21, 2018, 04:39:33 AM »
I haven't had much energy for writing lately, but even beyond that there is little I find good in the collapse newz to write about.  Plenty of good political shenanigans going on of course, but that isn't my bailiwick, I leave that stuff to Surly he follows it more closely.  In the other areas though, it is pure dulls-ville.

No countries on the verge of bankruptcy, no earthquakes, no wildfires, no mass shootings, no riots, no oil spills, no Chinese pollution storiez...about all we get these days is the new record for CO2 content set in the atmosphere each month.  Has all the real bad stuff peaked?  It's not happening anymore?  We hit a plateau and now we're on the long emergency phase?

If it wasn't for Trumpovetsky producing a daily stream of Tweetshit, there wouldn't be anything to scan Google Newz for every morning at all!

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Collapse Lull
« Reply #1663 on: July 21, 2018, 04:48:16 AM »
I haven't had much energy for writing lately, but even beyond that there is little I find good in the collapse newz to write about.  Plenty of good political shenanigans going on of course, but that isn't my bailiwick, I leave that stuff to Surly he follows it more closely.  In the other areas though, it is pure dulls-ville.

No countries on the verge of bankruptcy, no earthquakes, no wildfires, no mass shootings, no riots, no oil spills, no Chinese pollution storiez...about all we get these days is the new record for CO2 content set in the atmosphere each month.  Has all the real bad stuff peaked?  It's not happening anymore?  We hit a plateau and now we're on the long emergency phase?

If it wasn't for Trumpovetsky producing a daily stream of Tweetshit, there wouldn't be anything to scan Google Newz for every morning at all!

RE

Knowing that you are on the DL, I have tried to step up my writing game.K owing that I would be busy this weekend, I started writing on Monday to get ahead of the game. The week just wouldn't fucking stop. Have already written and rewritten over 3500 words and thrown out most of them.

What week.

In collapse news, a place at r/collapse yields the following:

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/20/17582890/wildfires-2018-california-colorado-ferguson-substation
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/07/19/national/tokyo-emergency-personnel-respond-record-number-calls-amid-heat-wave/
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/07/a-global-heat-wave-has-set-the-arctic-circle-on-fire.html
https://www.californiasun.co/stories/californias-soil-is-getting-too-salty-for-crops-to-grow/
https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/meat-dairy-industry-greenhouse-gas-emissions-fossil-fuels-oil-pollution-iatp-grain-a8451871.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Plenty to boo-hoo about. None of it good.

Online RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Collapse Lull
« Reply #1664 on: July 21, 2018, 05:50:15 AM »

RE

Knowing that you are on the DL, I have tried to step up my writing game.K owing that I would be busy this weekend, I started writing on Monday to get ahead of the game. The week just wouldn't fucking stop. Have already written and rewritten over 3500 words and thrown out most of them.

What week.

In collapse news, a place at r/collapse yields the following:

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/20/17582890/wildfires-2018-california-colorado-ferguson-substation
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/07/19/national/tokyo-emergency-personnel-respond-record-number-calls-amid-heat-wave/
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/07/a-global-heat-wave-has-set-the-arctic-circle-on-fire.html
https://www.californiasun.co/stories/californias-soil-is-getting-too-salty-for-crops-to-grow/
https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/meat-dairy-industry-greenhouse-gas-emissions-fossil-fuels-oil-pollution-iatp-grain-a8451871.html?utm_source=reddit.com

Plenty to boo-hoo about. None of it good.

Thx for Pinch Hitting!  :icon_sunny:

I guess besides lacking energy to write I'm not reading too much either.  I sit in front of the monitor and stare at it a lot though.  I haven't visited r/collapse since Reddit changed their format, I don't like it.

I'm going to get out a short Photo Essay for tomorrow's Sunday Brunch if I can work up energy to edit the photos I shot this week.  Beautiful sunny days here for the last week, a rarity this summer.  Lotta drizzle and overcast this year.

I'm hoping for a recharge after the Last Great Alaskan Adventure Bucket List trip with Eddie.🤞  Your presence will be missed.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN