AuthorTopic: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant  (Read 233913 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant
« Reply #1665 on: July 21, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »
Collapse is in full swing. Don't worry.

We're headed for a brick wall at high speed, with the windows rolled down and the AC blasting and the CD player turned up to 11.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🏔️ RE says "Bye-Bye" to ATT
« Reply #1666 on: August 05, 2018, 06:11:44 AM »
After over 20 years with ATT as my cell phone service provider (and at various times land-line internet ISP also), yesterday I gave them the boot and moved all my Bizness over to GCI, the local Alaska Telecommuncations provider.

The proximal reason was that after getting my new phone hooked up (an HTC U11 I bought straight from the factory in Taiwan) it kept telling me that the phone was not hooked up to the web every time I left my digs and went off my own Wi-Fi.  It was getting phone calls just fine, so it was hooked up to the cell phone network.  So it was back over to ATT to see if they could diagnose the problem.

As it turns out according to the Sales Rep on the floor at the ATT Store, HTC phones have "compatibility" problems with the ATT network.  Coincidentally, ATT does not sell HTC phones either anymore.  Hmmm...

Now, the phone is basically little good to me if it doesn't access the web so I can monitor the Diner when roaming outside my cave and also use as a portable Hotspot to tether my computer to if my land-line service goes through an outage.  I also pay for this privilege with ATT, an extra $10/mo not counting the bandwidth consumed.  So I tell the rep that if she can't get my internet working on the phone, I am done with ATT.  She couldn't, was mildly apologetic but didn't really seem to care that a 20+ year customer was walking out the door.

Over to GCI yesterday, after waiting about 45 minutes ( a Saturday is not a good time to visit a retail phone service store), the actual transition over only took around 15 minutes, and POOF, working 5G internet on my new Smart Phone!  :icon_sunny: Also the tethering works.

What's the story here?  There's no technical reason the HTC phone shouldn't work on ATTs network, but you see they don't sell this phone.  They only sell phones from certain companies, generally speaking Apple and Samsung, who are both charging outrageous prices for their latest and greatest phones.  We're talking 4 digits here now for a fucking phone, which they generaly expect you to replace every 2 years.  They also want you to buy the phone from THEM, and then it comes in a LOCKED version which you can't unlock until 2 years is up and your contract is up and even then they make it difficult.  I know, I have had 3 phones unlicked, my original Iphone 4 and 2 Samsung Galaxies.  They do NOT want you to buy unlocked phones straight from the manufacturer, and definitely not at 13rd the price of equivalent phones being marketed by Apple & Samsung.

Anyhow, I was able to keep my phone number so all you Diners who have that one, it still works.  I also shaved $40/mo off my total communications bill with this change.  As of now, it's a total Win for RE.  The only issue may come in the form of coverage, ATT always had the best total coverage of any of the carriers, except in specific areas.  It was the main reason I stayed with them so long.  Not sure how good GCI's coverage will be, especially down in the Lower 48.  Time will tell.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: 🏔️ RE says "Bye-Bye" to ATT
« Reply #1667 on: August 05, 2018, 07:06:13 AM »
So I tell the rep that if she can't get my internet working on the phone, I am done with ATT.  She couldn't, was mildly apologetic but didn't really seem to care that a 20+ year customer was walking out the door.

Yep. You already stated why. Doubtless few customers try to go "off the res" with non-ATT-sold phones, so they are happy to see you walk. People like you are bad for the quarterly numbers because they give others ideas...

As Tina Turner once stated in a different context, "Goodness has nothing to do with it."
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🌧️ Another Day, Another Raindrop here on the Last Great Frontier
« Reply #1668 on: August 07, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
More rain yesterday, more today  Since our one week long respite a couple of weeks ago, this has been the weather story of the Matanuska-Susitna River Valley this summer.  I am hoping the Alaska Sponge wrings itself out by the time we jump in the Bugout Machine for the Last Great Alaskan Bucket List Adventure. 🤞  At least there is no Fire Danger.  Still, it will be mighty damp and chilly on the Whale Watching boat if it stays like this.  Campsites should be fine, I am bringing my portable Gazebo.  :icon_sunny:

All C5 gets is Heat, Heat and more Heat.  All I get is wet clothes and early stage pneumonia every time I venture out of the Cave.  Gotta go for another C-T Scan this morning.  Then the Physical Therapist is due over, then the Rinse Me-Clean me aide for a shower.  Bizzy Wet Day for RE.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: August 07, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »
The ten day forecast shows it letting up, but I'm bringing my rain gear and some light cold weather clothes, just in case. A little rain and cold and damp would be in fairly stark contrast to what's going on here, which is extreme heat and sun and dust. I'm okay with it, as long as it doesn't rain constantly the whole time.

I'm usually known for bringing good weather when I come to new places.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Wanna fly out of Alaska? Let me see your PAPERS!
« Reply #1670 on: August 31, 2018, 07:51:37 PM »
I got over to the USPS today for the Passport Renewal.  I got the Newz while over there that beginning sometime in October, you won't be able to board a plane out of Alaska without either a valid Passport or an "enhanced" Drivers License which is "Real ID" compliant.  Real ID is what Da Fed Goobermint & DHS dropped in place when they couldn't pass a National ID.  It amounts to the same thing though.

The rub here is that Alaska does not yet offer a Real ID compliant DL, and probably won't have it ready before January 2019.  My new DL is not going to be Real ID compliant, thus no good for boarding a plane to Seattle in October.  The new Passport takes 4-6 Weeks for processing, which means I won't have it to show the TSA Goon until mid-October.  Thus my plans to fly down at the beginning of October to finish off the Tombstone have to go on hold again.  I'm not going to book plane tickets until I have the necessary Papers for travel in my possession.

My new DL I should have by mid September, allowing me to rent carz but as mentioned no good for boarding the Plane out of Alaska.  My own vehicles are all fully insured and legal, so I can use my insurance on the rental carz also, though I don't expect to have to do much of that for this trip, since I am enlisting Brian again for assistance and we'll mostly use his Tundra.

As it looks right now though, I won't be flying out from the Last Great Frontier until mid-October earliest.  Not going anywhere without a valid Passport.  If you don't have one, I would advise getting one.  It won't be long before ANY flight you board will require a Passport and/or other Goobermint Issue "Real ID".

Nazi life creeps up on you this way.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CzhIPvEanMg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CzhIPvEanMg</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
My New Driver's License has ARRIVED!
« Reply #1671 on: September 18, 2018, 06:39:37 AM »
I got the new permanent D/L in the mail, which I almost missed because I am real bad with going through my Snail Mail.  But I now have the Goobermint ID safely esconced in my Wallet, assuming I don't lose that.

It is good until my birthday on August 31st, 2023, by which time I fully expect to be dead, and if not there won't be any gas at the pumps for a fillup anyhow.  However, the D/L usefulness isn't limited to driving your car, you NEED this ID all the time if you buy booze or cigarettes or these days Ganja also.  You also gotta have it if you wanna fly anywhere, although I will need an Upgrade to a "Real ID" D/L when they become available if I want to use the D/L as my flying ID.

I am now waiting however for my Passport which should show up by the end of the month.  I do know that the State Department cashed my check, so it should be on the way here, and in that case good for a full DECADE, definitely longer than I will be alive for.  I ordered BOTH the booklet passport and the passport card, even theough the card is only good for Mejico and Canada, but it is still a solid piece of Goobermint ID to have in your wallet when TSHTF.

Once I get the Passport, I will book my ticket to WA to go and finish up the Tombstone, and then another ticket either to Mejico or TX to get my teeth repaired.  I haven't decided yet whether I will go have Eddie fix them or Jorge down in Mejico.  Eddie is pricier, but it's an easier trip for me these days, and the difference is probably only around $2000.

It feels real good to have that valid D/L in my wallet again.  :icon_sunny:  That Goobermint ID is an ESSENTIAL.  You can't even fucking cash a goddamn check without it.

Now I have to keep from losing my fucking wallet.  ::)  Not to mention my keys or my cell phone.  Keeping track of these things when your brain is going dead is real difficult.  I also briefly lost my cane, which I need when I can't use my Ewz.  This was a day long adventure figuring out WTF I put it.  ::)  It was of course hiding in plain sight.  Ugghhh.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: My New Driver's License has ARRIVED!
« Reply #1672 on: September 18, 2018, 07:12:18 AM »

Now I have to keep from losing my fucking wallet.  ::)  Not to mention my keys or my cell phone.  Keeping track of these things when your brain is going dead is real difficult.  I also briefly lost my cane, which I need when I can't use my Ewz.  This was a day long adventure figuring out WTF I put it.  ::)  It was of course hiding in plain sight.  Ugghhh.

RE

Welcome to your 60s.

Honest to God, this is me.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: September 18, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »

RE

Welcome to your 60s.

It's a daily battle for me.  My Cottage eats things, I am sure of it.  I get totally consumed when I can't find something, it occupies my entire thought process for at least 2 days of searching.  If I can't find whatever it is that has gone MIA after 2 days, I generally give up, and if it is something I really feel I need/want, I order a new one from Amazon.  Then, invariably the day that UPS shows up with the package, I turn up WTF I was looking for.

Wallets are the worst to lose though.  Between the ID and the Bank Cards and of course some CASH, it's at least a 2 week nightmare trying to replace everything.

I need to get some type of Finder Device for my Wallet.  I'm going to look on Amazon for one of those.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: September 18, 2018, 05:47:36 PM »

RE

poofness occurs, If it's been pilfered, tell em' to put shit back where they found it.

Welcome to your 60s.

It's a daily battle for me.  My Cottage eats things, I am sure of it.  I get totally consumed when I can't find something, it occupies my entire thought process for at least 2 days of searching.  If I can't find whatever it is that has gone MIA after 2 days, I generally give up, and if it is something I really feel I need/want, I order a new one from Amazon.  Then, invariably the day that UPS shows up with the package, I turn up WTF I was looking for.

Wallets are the worst to lose though.  Between the ID and the Bank Cards and of course some CASH, it's at least a 2 week nightmare trying to replace everything.

I need to get some type of Finder Device for my Wallet.  I'm going to look on Amazon for one of those.

RE
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #1675 on: September 19, 2018, 08:44:17 AM »
Of all the people to wonder.

Az, you just got a new drivers license.  Just call the State Patrol next time you can't find it.  Have them punch up the layout of your place on their front seat computer and the blinkie red dot will be where your wallet is.  That won't work with your phone of course.  To find that you will have to ask someone in person.  Where is your closest fusion center?  Better to ask Homeland Security about your phone.  They will know where it is.

Shhhheeeesh, our expert on all things conspiratorial and alien can't find his wallet.  We are DOOMED!

Update:

I'm even affected, I don't even know who lost their wallet.  I guess the truth is we are geezers who figured out the world is a mad mad place and the equations which operate the place will not and are not going to balance.  An observation which should be obvious to anyone with a decent brain who has been here long enough.  We probably all share a gene where we reach a certain age and a part of the brain that always quashes sense and logic to suck up to authority suddenly goes, no more of this you are old enough now.  You don't have to follow the herd because you are old enough to lead now.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 08:56:18 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: September 19, 2018, 10:07:52 AM »

Az, you just got a new drivers license.  Just call the State Patrol next time you can't find it.  Have them punch up the layout of your place on their front seat computer and the blinkie red dot will be where your wallet is.  That won't work with your phone of course.  To find that you will have to ask someone in person.  Where is your closest fusion center?  Better to ask Homeland Security about your phone.  They will know where it is.

Shhhheeeesh, our expert on all things conspiratorial and alien can't find his wallet.  We are DOOMED!

Update:

I'm even affected, I don't even know who lost their wallet.  I guess the truth is we are geezers who figured out the world is a mad mad place and the equations which operate the place will not and are not going to balance.  An observation which should be obvious to anyone with a decent brain who has been here long enough.  We probably all share a gene where we reach a certain age and a part of the brain that always quashes sense and logic to suck up to authority suddenly goes, no more of this you are old enough now.  You don't have to follow the herd because you are old enough to lead now.

I don't carry a wallet.
I use a money clip with a St. Gaudin's  soldered to the clip.

I do need a new drivers license, toooo many times thru the spin cycle.

I'm usually down there, MVD, every couple of months anyway. Drop a car off active status & using another.
As a matter of fact I'm swappin' cars at the end of the month.
I'm going to drive junior's A6 Avant until he gets back from Kuwait in Feb. '19.
I'm putting the old girl in rehab. Da' bus needs a break. Ran her all summer so now that the weather is chamber of commerce
gorgeous again, it's time to get busy.

As for the original question. Re-pop DL's around here are 12 bucks.
They used to be good for 25 years, until I reached old fart status. Now I think it's 5 ?
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: September 19, 2018, 04:16:20 PM »

Update:

I don't carry a wallet.
I use a money clip with a St. Gaudin's  soldered to the clip.

I do need a new drivers license, toooo many times thru the spin cycle.

I'm usually down there, MVD, every couple of months anyway. Drop a car off active status & using another.
As a matter of fact I'm swappin' cars at the end of the month.
I'm going to drive junior's A6 Avant until he gets back from Kuwait in Feb. '19.
I'm putting the old girl in rehab. Da' bus needs a break. Ran her all summer so now that the weather is chamber of commerce
gorgeous again, it's time to get busy.

As for the original question. Re-pop DL's around here are 12 bucks.
They used to be good for 25 years, until I reached old fart status. Now I think it's 5 ?

If I didn't have a wallet, I would DEFINITELY lose my D/L.  I would also have a jumble of bank cards.  I can't imagine functioning without a wallet.

Here in AK, they are good only for 5 years before you have to renew.  Cost is $25.  If you lose it, it also costs $25.  I lost my last one once, although it turned up later (after I got a new one) at 3 Bears.

The main issue though in replacing or renewing is the waiting time before your new one comes.  Nowadays they send your picture to the FBI to run through their facial recognition database, so you don't get it right away at the DMV.  It gets sent to you in the mail, and I am notoriously bad with going through my snail mail.

You also have an even longer wait for your Passport, 4-6 weeks normal processing time.  You can pay extra to have it expedited, but it almost doubles the price.  Passport lasts 10 years though.  I have less opportunity to lose my passport since I use it so rarely.  It just sits in a drawer most of the time.  I have never lost a passport.  I have had one continuously since the age of 5 when we took off for Brazil.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: September 19, 2018, 04:31:27 PM »
In lieu of the festivities on RE's shiny new DL.

I made the corporate decision to up-sell myself a vanity plate for this epilogue filled event.

Last DL, last plate ......

Enjoy  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I Passed the DHS Test!
« Reply #1679 on: September 25, 2018, 12:43:06 PM »
My Passport arrived today in the mail!
 :multiplespotting:

Very fast, less than 3 weeks.  It was a renewal though, not a new passport.

I now have the Full Set of Goobermint ID Cards and can start making my travel plans for October.  DHS obviously does not yet consider me a threat to National Security.  The Diner is still flying under the radar.

I also resolved most of my Lost Wallet Worries.  I now have TWO wallets, one which I use every day and just has one bank card, cash for a couple of days if the card doesn't work and a COPY of my D/L.  I scanned it in and then printed it off, and once slipped behind the plastic window of my wallet you can't tell the difference from the original even though it is paper.  Of course if you pull it out you would know, but most of the time in stores checking your age you don't have to pull it out, just flash it.  It worked the one time I have had to do that since coming up with the idea.

My OTHER wallet has the rest of my bank cards, the REAL D/L and a lot more CASH.  Now also the Passport Card.  This wallet is the kind with a chain which I hook around my belt and makes it impossible for the wallet to bounce out of my pocket while driving the cripple cart.  I also about never pull it out since the daily wallet fulfills most of my needs.  So I can't forget it at a store or even misplace it at home since it is always attached to my person, even while sleeping. The only time it comes out is at doctor's offices where they want to make a copy of your D/L on your first visit or when travelling and TSA wants to see the passport card.  I also got the full booklet passport in case I want to travel somewhere beyond Mexico & Canada, although at the moment no plans for that.

Having my renewed D/L and my Passport is a big relief for me.  I fretted over this for months knowing they were both expiring.  I am a worry wart this way. Now I should be good until I am pushing up daisies.  :icon_sunny:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN