AuthorTopic: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant  (Read 244630 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Frostbite Falls Daily Rant
« Reply #495 on: March 01, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »

RE - have you heard of the Polynesian Voyaging Society? You would love them because they "reverse engineered" non-instrument navigational methods possibly used during the original Polynesian voyages of exploration and colonization. They have repeatedly demonstrated the viability of these methods with decades of successful voyages all over the Pacific. Now they have an educational focus and have trained a couple of generations of navigators and captains.

Yah, I have a video of the Voyage of the Hokulea, which is the cat rigged sailing canoe image I always use in these articles.  It was built by traditional methods, and they reproduced the voyage from Rapa Nui (Easter Island) to Hawaii utilizing traditional navigation techniques.  It's a great video.

I like to think that the residents of Easter Island did not Die Off when they left those Watchers along the shore.  They didn't stay, so they left the Watchers to take care of the Island.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 01, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »

RE - have you heard of the Polynesian Voyaging Society? You would love them because they "reverse engineered" non-instrument navigational methods possibly used during the original Polynesian voyages of exploration and colonization. They have repeatedly demonstrated the viability of these methods with decades of successful voyages all over the Pacific. Now they have an educational focus and have trained a couple of generations of navigators and captains.

Yah, I have a video of the Voyage of the Hokulea, which is the cat rigged sailing canoe image I always use in these articles.  It was built by traditional methods, and they reproduced the voyage from Rapa Nui (Easter Island) to Hawaii utilizing traditional navigation techniques.  It's a great video.

I like to think that the residents of Easter Island did not Die Off when they left those Watchers along the shore.  They didn't stay, so they left the Watchers to take care of the Island.

RE

What would be harder using traditional methods - sailing across half the Pacific, or building those monoliths? LOL Damn.  :emthup:

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #497 on: March 01, 2013, 08:04:11 PM »
Seems like I read in Jared Diamond's "Collapse," that there is archeological proof of cannibalism on Easter Island. 

I can't imagine what it would feel like to set sail in a boat that you made.  To set sail knowing that you are probably going to die.  That state of mind when you first push off has got to be bliss.  I mean, you've already accepted that you are going to die at sea with your homeys.  Or did they KNOW that they were going to find land?  I can only process these things in a spiritual way. 

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 01, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »
I can't imagine what it would feel like to set sail in a boat that you made.  To set sail knowing that you are probably going to die.

Sort of like the Diner paradigm. Facing the choice between maintaining the status quo, and following the dream? Alas, we are all going to die.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #499 on: March 01, 2013, 08:56:47 PM »
we are making it happen.  It would be happening tomorrow morning, but things changed slightly.  For the better I might add.  Anatomy is a bitch...physiology ain't all that bad cause it's dealing with concepts that can be understood.  Anatomy is just brute memorization.  You just have to download that information into your noggin' via hours of meticulous study. 

It's a bitch to hold two separate futures in your hands at once.  One your a murse and the other you're dealing with the post-petroleum world.  I'm not good at bifurcations like that.  I've always had one direction that I was traveling.  That direction changed frequently, but it was ever only one direction at a time.  I think doing both has something to do with being a father.  I know a tight nit community would probably make my life a lot simpler.  But then community is more complex than no community.  Our world is schizophrenic.  In order to be sane you have to be schizophrenic.  I think our modern way of being is turning our minds to mush.  Quite literally in many cases due to Big Pharma's Frankenscary chemical equations that are applied to our physical brains in pill form. 

You can't exactly test Xoloft on rats for depression now can you.  Even if you thought you could, rat brains are different than human brains in some very fundamental ways.  Seen from that lens, the human species has been an experiment on itself featuring recklessness without abandon.  Homo Sapien, the wielder of idiot chaos. 

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:58:23 PM by luciddreams »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 02, 2013, 02:58:36 AM »
What would be harder using traditional methods - sailing across half the Pacific, or building those monoliths? LOL Damn.  :emthup:

Tough call, but the Sailing Trick was a whole lot more dangerous, and not accomplished by anyone else to that degree until guys like Cook and Magellan did similar in the 15th & 16th Centuries, and they HAD magnetic compasses and sextants.  The Polynesian Migrations began out of Tonga a good millenia before that, then to NZ and the Society Islands, then Rapa Nui and finally making Hawaii around 1000AD.

Large physical structures even bigger than the Watchers such as Egyptian Pyramids date back long before that though, so on a Time Scale level the Nav Trick was the more difficult one.

On any level you can imagine though, that was one incredible bunch of Homo Sapiens.  Ultimate Freedom Seekers.  I idolize them in my mind's eye.  They were of course more fortunate than we are in the sense there was still some pristine earth left to SEEK at that time.

They did it all with Stone Age Technology.  No metal, no magnets, nada.  Rocks, Wood and Plant Fibers.  That is all it took.  Un-Fucking-Believable, but the Watchers still stand to prove they did it.  The Diners should be so lucky.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 02, 2013, 03:11:51 AM »

I can't imagine what it would feel like to set sail in a boat that you made.  To set sail knowing that you are probably going to die.  That state of mind when you first push off has got to be bliss.  I mean, you've already accepted that you are going to die at sea with your homeys.  Or did they KNOW that they were going to find land?  I can only process these things in a spiritual way.

Interesting you bring up these questions.  That is the Focus of Part III of the Series.  I will publish that Sunday Morning for Diner Brunch Reading.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #502 on: March 02, 2013, 04:53:37 AM »
But then community is more complex than no community.  Our world is schizophrenic. . .  the human species has been an experiment on itself featuring recklessness without abandon.  Homo Sapien, the wielder of idiot chaos.

Absolutely brilliant. Just brilliant.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline funkyspec

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 02, 2013, 05:38:32 AM »

. . .

RE

I lived on Oahu for 15+ years after I got out of the navy and I appreciate your most excellent commentary on the exploits of the Polynesian voyagers, and effectively linking those exploits to what most humans face as industrialized civilization collapses. After I got out of the navy, I spent time as an underemployed surf bum. One of my non-paying gigs was working at the Bishop Museum planetarium in Honolulu where I would often do the star shows, in which we would present a segment on hypothetical Polynesian non-instrument navigation methods. We could show what the night sky would look like to the voyagers as they journeyed from Tahiti to Hawaii.

Later, I got a real job as a high school science teacher in the Hawaii public school system and was fortunate enough to become involved in PVS sailing educational programs. I got to sail on Hokulea and the much smaller Eala.

One minor point: Hokulea was actually constructed using modern methods and materials, and her purpose was to demonstrate and prove the non-instrument navigational methods recovered from master Micronesian sailor/navigator Mau Pialug, and further developed by Nainoa Thompson. Hoku's sister canoe, Hawaii Loa (and maybe some others, not sure) was constructed using traditional methods. Hawaii Loa has a connection to Alaska: her hulls were built from 2 Sitka Spruce logs donated by the Tlingit, Haida, and Tshimshiam tribes of Southeast Alaska (since there were no Koa trees large enough left in Hawaii). One of Hawaii Loa's first voyages was from Hawaii to Alaska to give thanks to the Alaskan tribes.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Islands of Freedom III: Polynesian Survival Demographics
« Reply #504 on: March 03, 2013, 01:37:04 AM »
Islands of Freedom III: Polynesian Survival Demographics by Diner Godfather RE now UP on the Diner Blog!

I expanded on this Final Article in the series to draw the CONNECTIONS between what went on for the Polynesians so long ago; and what the Diners face down NOW.

It's an RE TEAR JERKER. It makes ME CRY when I read it back.  Always a sign to me I went for the emotional gut.  For those of youo who find a good Cry cathartic, you should be pleased with this.  For the rest who are not so Romantic, it may not be so good.  We'll see how it plays. Pulled out ALL the emotional stops though, so IMHO if you don't tear up at least a BIT, you are a Souless drone who probably cannot be Saved anymore.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 03, 2013, 02:15:30 AM »

I lived on Oahu for 15+ years after I got out of the navy and I appreciate your most excellent commentary on the exploits of the Polynesian voyagers, and effectively linking those exploits to what most humans face as industrialized civilization collapses

Thanks FS.  Great fortune you had to spend this time in Hawaii,though of course it is not what once it was either.
I hope Part  III worked for you also.

I do know that Hokuelea was built with a lot of Modern Tools  Methods, I was a bit dishonest there.  Going back to the vid, the Sails were a big problem as I recall.  The PRINCIPLES stand true though.

All this means for us is we gotta be ADAPTABLE, and SCAVENGE the Goodies from the Age of Oil.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #506 on: March 03, 2013, 04:54:11 AM »
well I didn't cry RE, but I did get chills at one point, which is my equivalent.  Crying is something I do on a yearly basis, usually more like every other couple of years something might make me cry.  Although admittedly I have cried more lately, since I resigned from the Matrix. 

At any rate, I feel the same about the Foxstead as you, and I've gotten emotional about it several times already.  I've been guarded about it waiting on today, when we get the final go ahead or not.  Talking to Roamer last night I can't see anything that will stop it.  The only issue is the vegetarian issue...but then if that wasn't an issue it would be too good to be true, so maybe that is the stop gap measure that's built in place to keep this thing real...who knows.  It's not an issue that can't be worked around, and in any event if it becomes that big of an issue than Carol will likely be pretty damn hungry and likely to change her tone.  Or once William get's there and woes her for us.  Roamer doesn't really even want to bring it up, but I know that Carol will. 

All I can do is be as diplomatic and sensitive as possible.   Two things I hate doing, but two things I had to learn how to do to survive in EMS where a psychotic crack head can get you fired for looking too white (or black, or brown for that matter...just as in "you're not my race").  Suffice it to say that I'm not going to let my feelings about raising animals to eat, hunting, fishing, and just eating meat in general fuck this up for the rest of us.  Some of us may feel that this issue is worth not committing to the foxstead, and I can understand that because I've contemplated that myself.  But I know that this will not be an issue because I knew it in my gut when talking to Carol.  I just wasn't worried about it.  I'm still not. 

Today, we finished building the Catamaran that will take us to our new island of freedom.  A couple of us need to take it out on a test run to make sure it's sea worthy.  We'll be back tonight, and if it's sea worthy than we will set sail shortly. 

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 03, 2013, 08:27:42 AM »
Speaking of freedom, anyone else notice that Field of Dreams clip, "embedding disabled by request." But hey, if we go to Youtube we can watch it...

Copyright law. The new frontier of total control. Humorless, tyrant, money grubbin....

Anyway, yeah that was very prescient of you, RE. As for me, I feel EXACTLY like that old navigator, every inch of the earth seemingly commodified and increasingly out of reach. Been there, done that, doing what, again? There seems nothing left for me in the culture as it exists. Plenty of energy yet though, for an adventure like this. Something very like what I've been dreaming about since the aftermath of the tech boom, actually, but never having found anyone to do it with, never having access to land. Quite eager for the opportunity. Thank you.

Blessings. I hope it goes well today. Speak to the vision. Smile. Enjoy yourselves. :icon_sunny:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
STAMPEDE!!!
« Reply #508 on: March 05, 2013, 10:06:56 PM »

I just finished updating an article called "Homo Collaboratus" Monsta dug up from the archives of Reverse Engineering with recent material written by Elvis and the Slogger, and additional material off my keyboard.

It is a Call to Arms.  Time for the HERD to take down the PREDATORS.

Coming Soon to a Laptop Near You.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Homo Collaboratus
« Reply #509 on: March 05, 2013, 11:54:16 PM »
Homo Collaboratus by Diner Godfather RE now UP on the Diner Blog!

STAMPEDE!!!
RE
Save As Many As You Can