PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Obsolescence of the Obsolete

AuthorTopic: Obsolescence of the Obsolete  (Read 13915 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsolescence of the Obsolete
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 12:30:57 PM »
RE

Is this the place where folks tend to disappear on you?

Probably one of them.  :icon_mrgreen:

Thanks for the references though, I will get to reading them now.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 01:11:41 PM »
Like I said earlier I will not sit and argue the physics.  There are folks working on this that are much more expert than us and I read their work and what other experts conclude (or disagree) about it.  The following hopefully will address the topic sufficiently.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2006/09/why-greenhouse-gases-heat-the-ocean/

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2011/10/global-warming-and-ocean-heat-content/

http://www.skepticalscience.com/ocean-and-global-warming-intermediate.htm

PHEW!  I was worried I would have to slog through 20 page papers and a lot of Differential Equations!  Fortunately no, nice short stuff.

Now, on Ref 1

If we can establish a relationship between the temperature difference across the skin layer and the net infrared forcing, then we will have demonstrated the mechanisms for greenhouse gas heating the upper ocean. That is seen in the flow chart on the right.

However, it is the case that none of these studies prove that these effects are happening in the real world – they are merely suggestive of what we might strongly expect

The other consequence of the warming ocean is it means there is additional "warming in the pipeline". Even if CO2 emissions were to start falling now, we already face further global warming of about another half degree by the end of the 21st century (Meehl 2005).

Emphasis mine.

This particular article only talks about what is occurring in the very TOP layer of the ocean maybe a millimeter or two down.  Thing is, this represents a miniscule part of the TOTAL VOLUME of Water, so any temp rise in that is not a great rise in Total Heat content.

Besides that, the author makes the disclaimer that this doesn't PROVE what is happening, only SUGGESTS what is happening.  Based on the authors preconceived notions of what is happening of course.

On Ref 2

However, it is the case that none of these studies prove that these effects are happening in the real world – they are merely suggestive of what we might strongly expect

Another disclaimer.  You made the statement that there is PROOF of this theory, when these folks make disclaimers it does NOT prove the case.

On Ref 3

The other consequence of the warming ocean is it means there is additional "warming in the pipeline". Even if CO2 emissions were to start falling now, we already face further global warming of about another half degree by the end of the 21st century (Meehl 2005).

No argument from me there, but this is transmission from Ocean to Atmosphere not the other way round.  The author simply makes the ASSUMPTION that the Ocean is being heated up from Solar radiation.  No mechanism is established for this.

I can give you a simple example of the difference the Atmosphere has from the Ocean in terms of how fast it heats up from Solar Radiation.  Just look at Night and Day temperatures.  As soon as the Sun comes up, the Atmosphere RAPIDLY heats up 20-30 degrees.  This because it has a very LOW Heat Capacity.  On the other hand, your local Lake maybe gets a degree or two warmer in the daytime when the sun shines on it.  This because it has a HIGH Heat Capacity.  A Backyard Kiddie Pool from Walmart filled with water might go up 10 degrees because there isn't much water in it. Ocean Temp changes hardly at all, too much water.

If you don't want to discuss the Physics with me this is fine, but you cannot make the case that AGW is PROVEN true when the folks involved in these studies all make disclaimers.There also just is no real good mechanism for Top Down Ocean heating to this magnitude. The top layer yes, but not the vast BULK of water below.That has to be coming from the Bottom Up.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline buzzard

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
OK, RE: As to the original subject of your post, the last camp that I considered myself a member of was the small but growing group of what was referred to as 'Uber Doomers' on the Peak Oil.com blog. After that I sensed the various categories growing faster than the number of awakening members. I too like to think that my present position regarding where humanity is headed was arrived at after years of diligent and logical study of the data. I admit, however, that certain information resonates with my concept of reality more than other information. For instance, when I read Derrick Jensen's monumental screed called "End Game" I found myself thinking, "This boy has nailed it."

After years of mulling over the questions regarding Collapse, I have decided that it can be broken into a further two categories: How we see the future realistically unfolding and how we see that the future should be unfolding.  I think that most everyone here sees future collapse of the human enterprise as fairly certain and nasty displayed over a fairly wide spectrum of scenarios. I can accept that. Where I become frustrated is in seeing what obviously should be our {humanities'}response to the collapse being ignored by almost everybody. When I finally learn to let that fanciful idealism go I can then throw my blood pressure pills away.

So... if a gun to my head, I would have to say that I occupy the neo-paleolithic camp only because I can't see any other sustainable means for Sapiens to continue. Nature absolutely bats last here. I see 100 million population when the smoke clears as a reasonable guess.

Although I have based my view of reality through out most of my life on a platform of science, I have cracked open the door to something else. This in my view can potentially become a game changer. I remain a basic cynic skeptic. However, what if...? What if we have been involved with extra-terrestrials for most of our existence as a species? What if other accessible dimensions exist along with the possibility of time travel? What if the Universe consists of consciousness and thought-forms create matter? What if so-called 'spiritual' realms are as real as electrons? Well, then I would be forced to slightly reevaluate my ideas about the future collapse. Damn cracked open door.

I like the Diner, by the way. I gave up participating in forums years ago because it seemed so pointless. A little fresh air here though... I particularly suffer from a couple of handicaps which dampens participation some [even though I have definite opinions about virtually everything]: I am computer semi-illiterate so I usually make no attempt to post sources. This naturally throws me into the welter-weight division of the blog wars. And...  I am pathologically lazy which means that even though I have been known to write an intelligible sentence occasionally it becomes dangerously close to work. There is no excuse for this. I am in the enviable position of being retired with lots of time on my hands. Again, as Roamer mentioned earlier, I spend a lot of time reading. I am in awe of those who, like you, seem to effortlessly vomit words.

Also, I have noticed that after spending a great deal of time studying and researching a subject I lose interest. For instance, as far as I can tell "Peak Oil" is a settled issue. We can dot some eyes and cross some tees. But that's about it. AGW is at this point is settled science. [Sorry RE. Your theory is interesting, but no cigar. And I know that I am not posting your asked for sources either.] The economic/financial house of cards only awaits that small gust of reality-wind. So what's left? UFO's and interdimensional beings of course, or possibly the killer comet with our name on it.

Actually now that I think about it the one issue before us that isn't settled is Population. As 'Monte Quest' used to say, "It is the elephant in the room." there is much room for discussion which neatly crosses all of those pedagogic, philosophic,theological, and political lines at once.

As far as losing some of the original combatants here on DD... perhaps some of us on second string need to step forward. [Not me of course. I'm referring to you others]   

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
Buzzad,
 I discuss the population elephant in the room in an upcoming article. I explain that he "elephant" biomass is smaller than the total world ant population biomass which has no carbon footprint problem. The "elephant" has a tiny portion with some giant pig carbon footprints. As I mentioned to Wyoming yesterday when he voiced the same concern as you, I do not believe that 500 million humans that have just been relieved of 6.5 billion are going to get rid of the mining, heavy industry, military machines, high tech toys like jets, yachts, etc. The problem lies in the cancerous growth paradigm. Because the elite survivors of an orchestrated massive population reduction are the greediest pigs around, they will, in short order pollute and war with each other as they have always done. The pig is the problem, not the elephant.

As to ET interaction, I believe they are certainly there, more intelligent and high tech than we are, and basically are watching the global petri dish with a few specimen retrievals now and then. I don't think their motives are good or bad; they are just engaging in good science and don't need to raise us for food or guide our path this way or that. I could be wrong but, since things are growing steadily worse, not better, I don't see ET bioremediating our planet or saving us from our greed anytime soon.

I think multiple dimensions and parallel universes are perfectly plausible and probably exist. I believe life goes on after death and we are graded by our behavior here. That drives my ethics but that doesn't blind me from the hard reality that mankind is out of balance because he refuses to view himself as a cog in the biosphere wheel. As long as human humility is a lost art, there really, really is no hope in this life. So I try to wake that humility up. All the science in the universe won't solve the greedy pig problem. It's possible THAT problem is dealt with after death but I would prefer that TPTB that suffer from it would extract their heads from their glorified navels and get real. Whatever happens, the ONLY THING that matters, in my view, is to apply the golden rule, not just to other humans, but to the entire biosphere so we can live a symbiotic rather than a parasitic existence. The more of us do that, the better it will be here AND in the hereafter for those who do.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 03:59:02 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 04:01:59 PM »

I like the Diner, by the way. I gave up participating in forums years ago because it seemed so pointless. A little fresh air here though... I particularly suffer from a couple of handicaps which dampens participation some [even though I have definite opinions about virtually everything]: I am computer semi-illiterate so I usually make no attempt to post sources. This naturally throws me into the welter-weight division of the blog wars. And...  I am pathologically lazy which means that even though I have been known to write an intelligible sentence occasionally it becomes dangerously close to work. There is no excuse for this. I am in the enviable position of being retired with lots of time on my hands. Again, as Roamer mentioned earlier, I spend a lot of time reading. I am in awe of those who, like you, seem to effortlessly vomit words.

Well,you did a good job puking up a few words here, you should do it more often.  Glaqdto hear you are enjoying the Diner Cuisine though!

Also, I have noticed that after spending a great deal of time studying and researching a subject I lose interest. For instance, as far as I can tell "Peak Oil" is a settled issue. We can dot some eyes and cross some tees. But that's about it. AGW is at this point is settled science. [Sorry RE. Your theory is interesting, but no cigar. And I know that I am not posting your asked for sources either.]

I believe AB is now hard at work on another article looking at these various theories critically.

In the end, it's not really that important because in neither case is the Climate Change going to stop anytime soon, and its a matter of conjecture whether the Ocean Acidification will level off or not before the Phytoplankton crash. Whether Man Made or Mother Nature Brewed, its a Runaway Train right now.

The economic/financial house of cards only awaits that small gust of reality-wind. So what's left? UFO's and interdimensional beings of course, or possibly the killer comet with our name on it.

Don't forget Yellowstone going Ballistic!

Actually now that I think about it the one issue before us that isn't settled is Population. As 'Monte Quest' used to say, "It is the elephant in the room." there is much room for discussion which neatly crosses all of those pedagogic, philosophic,theological, and political lines at once.

Great to hear Monte's name again. The main interesting question for population is how fast it might collapse.  Looking at Monte's favorite St. Matthews Island Deer curve, that imposed over 7B People is mind boggling to consider.  Also to consider if/when anyone will set up the Death Camps.

As far as losing some of the original combatants here on DD... perhaps some of us on second string need to step forward. [Not me of course. I'm referring to you others]   

I am kind of resigned to the fact Diners will come and go.  :crying:  I did think that the core Diners from Reverse Engineering would last longer though.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline buzzard

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 09:10:19 PM »
Buzzad,
 I discuss the population elephant in the room in an upcoming article. I explain that he "elephant" biomass is smaller than the total world ant population biomass which has no carbon footprint problem. The "elephant" has a tiny portion with some giant pig carbon footprints. As I mentioned to Wyoming yesterday when he voiced the same concern as you, I do not believe that 500 million humans that have just been relieved of 6.5 billion are going to get rid of the mining, heavy industry, military machines, high tech toys like jets, yachts, etc. The problem lies in the cancerous growth paradigm. Because the elite survivors of an orchestrated massive population reduction are the greediest pigs around, they will, in short order pollute and war with each other as they have always done. The pig is the problem, not the elephant.

Coincidentally I am reading Gurdjieff talking about language and how it is used. "As a rule when people realize that they do not understand a thing they try to find a name for what they do not 'understand', and when they find a name they say they 'understand'. But to 'find a name' does not mean to 'understand'. Unfortunately, people are usually satisfied with names." The 'elephant' in the room I believe should more precisely refer to the subject or result of over population and not the population itself. Further, what you refer to as 'pigs' I prefer to call psychopaths a very small subset of the general population. As an analogy, while the population of the US has a much larger carbon footprint per capita than, say, Zimbabwe the psychopaths in power have a much larger carbon footprint than the general public.

As to ET interaction, I believe they are certainly there, more intelligent and high tech than we are, and basically are watching the global petri dish with a few specimen retrievals now and then. I don't think their motives are good or bad; they are just engaging in good science and don't need to raise us for food or guide our path this way or that. I could be wrong but, since things are growing steadily worse, not better, I don't see ET bioremediating our planet or saving us from our greed anytime soon.

What if those ETs have been interfering with human history for thousands of years and their motives are bad {at least for us}?

I think multiple dimensions and parallel universes are perfectly plausible and probably exist. I believe life goes on after death and we are graded by our behavior here. That drives my ethics but that doesn't blind me from the hard reality that mankind is out of balance because he refuses to view himself as a cog in the biosphere wheel. As long as human humility is a lost art, there really, really is no hope in this life. So I try to wake that humility up. All the science in the universe won't solve the greedy pig problem. It's possible THAT problem is dealt with after death but I would prefer that TPTB that suffer from it would extract their heads from their glorified navels and get real. Whatever happens, the ONLY THING that matters, in my view, is to apply the golden rule, not just to other humans, but to the entire biosphere so we can live a symbiotic rather than a parasitic existence. The more of us do that, the better it will be here AND in the hereafter for those who do.

As long as your golden rule is not, "He who owns all the gold makes all the rules".  :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:21:39 PM by buzzard »

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 10:47:32 PM »
Buzzard, I address the psychos issue in the article as well. I don't deny they are very bad news but I think I take a novel approach to explain their presence among us.  :icon_mrgreen:

The "golden rule" I believe in is symbiosis with all the earthlings we share the planet weed. If ET has been tinkering with us for his own fun and games and our detriment, then they are even stupider than we are. Space travel, free energy, a thousand planets to pick from and they just come here for some S&M or Dr. Strangelove?  It doesn't fit.  :icon_scratch:
Faith,

Offline buzzard

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 11:03:40 PM »
Buzzard, I address the psychos issue in the article as well. I don't deny they are very bad news but I think I take a novel approach to explain their presence among us.  :icon_mrgreen:

The "golden rule" I believe in is symbiosis with all the earthlings we share the planet weed. If ET has been tinkering with us for his own fun and games and our detriment, then they are even stupider than we are. Space travel, free energy, a thousand planets to pick from and they just come here for some S&M or Dr. Strangelove?  It doesn't fit.  :icon_scratch:

As far as I can tell there is no reason to assume that the ETs or multidimensional beings are any smarter or enlightened than humans. They merely have certain abilities which they use for their own purposes. And the energy which they require may be negative emotional energy. I also suspect that even though there may in fact be millions of planets to choose from, they are already occupied and defended.

Offline Wyoming

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »
RE

You think it is short stuff?  Did you look at the links to the research papers being discussed?

Ok, here are some more.  BTW there are lots of links and refs in what I sent you earlier that elaborate further on the info found on the front page.  Same this time.  They pretty much answer where the heat is coming from and going to.  There are lots of comments on the Real Climate links that elaborate and explain as well.  I find them useful.  There are litterally dozens (hundreds?) of papers that discuss various aspects of the heat budget out there.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2010/05/ocean-heat-content-increases-update/

http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/abs/ha00110y.html

another interesting one

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2007/09/climate-insensitivity/

You make it sound like the researchers working this subject are not aware of the issue of deep ocean heating and all the various components and aspects of heat transport.  Do you really think that? 

There is a body of good work supporting the opposite of your opinion.  Can you point to refs of peer reviewed research that support yours?

It would seem that if there was even a small chance of what you are saying was the case then there would have been serious study of the concept by now.  A lot of people have been trying for a couple of decades to shoot AGW down (for both the right and wrong reasons).  Absolutely nothing has panned out for them.

Wyo

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »
OK, I read through the latest series of references, and here is a good sample of the problem:

Quote from: Hansen et al
One of the biggest problems with this method is that it assumes that the climate system has only one “time scale,” and that time scale determines its long-term, equilibrium response to changes in climate forcing. But the global heat budget has many components, which respond faster or slower to heat input: the atmosphere, land, upper ocean, deep ocean, and cryosphere all act with their own time scales. The atmosphere responds quickly, the land not quite so fast, the deep ocean and cryosphere very slowly. In fact, it’s because it takes so long for heat to penetrate deep into the ocean that most climate scientists believe we have not yet experienced all the warming due from the greenhouse gases we’ve already emitted [Hansen et al. 2005].

Emphasis mine.  What is MISSING here?  Nowhere is the Energy release from Quakes and Vulcanism EVER accounted for!  The only portion of the Energy equilibrium being looked at is the Radiation coming in from the Sun, with the ASSUMPTION that this is the only Energy Driver for Climactic Systems.

There is a body of good work supporting the opposite of your opinion.  Can you point to refs of peer reviewed research that support yours?

The works you so far have cited are not Opposite to my opinion.  I agree there is an atmospheric component to this effect and that Greenhouse warming is occuring.  Same papers say that the effects they are seeing are GREATER than their models account for.  Why?

It would seem that if there was even a small chance of what you are saying was the case then there would have been serious study of the concept by now.

If you think that, you don't know how Science Research works.  Everybody is a Specialist, and they focus down on what they know in their own field of study.  Climatologists/Meteorologists/Weathermen study the Atmosphere and Ocean and Solar Radiation, they don't include Geotectonic forces in their field of expertiese.  Geologists and Vulcanologists study Plate Tectonics and Eruptions in the effort to predict them, they are not concerned with the Atmosphere.  Each group gets Grants from Industry to research what they know based on what their previous work was.  You build on this and get bigger Grants all the time by further "proving" what you started out to prove.  The greater your "reputation" for any given field the bigger the Grants you can get and the more invested you are in proving you are right.

The Climatologists have been building a case for a very long time now and are completely bought into the models they have built, which aren't really wrong, they just aren't complete.  I have yet to see a paper anywhere that accounts for where the energy from earthquakes and volcanoes actually GOES once it is released.  The Climatologists don't drop it in their models, and the Geologists don't worry about it after it blows.  They can measure how many Giga Joules were released in any quake, but they don't tell you what happenned to it or where it went.

Anyhow, as I remarked up thread a ways, when you get right down to the nitty-gritty, it isn't that important really who is right here, because BOTH models indicate the same thing, which is that we are on a Runaway Train here and the Climate Change looks like it will continue unabated for the forseeable future.  If we are going to focus our Science on anything now, it would be on how to live on a Planet with a vastly different Climate than we have now, whatever the underlying cause of it is.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2012, 10:33:35 AM »
RE,
Concerning my hedges, well I got the basic bugout machine, survival gear, broad skillset ect covered.  Really though none of those is a  hedge, just basic emergency skills every human ought to have.  I've lived on "sustainable" permaculture farms, gathered skills learned how to live fairly poor.  The one thing I've learned the really hard way in this society is that you can't do much without money or as an outsider.  So my hedge now is that I have fired back up my career and am going to work as an engineer at well located essential industrial facility, right in the belly of the beast.   Not a hedge so much as a tactic, one I plan to stick to until some serious structural changes occur.
I do still vow to uphold the DD'er pledge of "save as many as you can"  and from my perspective that starts with me getting on my feet well enough that I might do some open source relevant R&D work and hopefully start an experimental post fossil/survival farm down the road. Hope to start writing, blogging and getting some engineering work done on that this fall, once I get settled in my new position. 

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2012, 05:35:28 PM »
Roamer,
Quick question. I am not sending you a private message because I want anyone else out there that wants to answer to be feel free to do so. I know you are a mechanical, rather than an electrical, engineer but you must have studied electrical generators. I took a course of about a year in industrial electronics and robotics but, beyond describing the basics of windings, stators,  rotors and armature hysteresis losses, not much detail was provided. I have been working off and on with a new type electrical generator idea. I will not patent it. When I get it polished enough, I'll post it here with a sketchup file and all the details. If it works well, it will be a boon to survivalists because it will aid them in generating electricity cheaply. My question to you is this: How close to the collapsing magnetic field that induces electron flow in the windings does the insulated copper winding have to be for maximum electron flow induction? Is the induced current ruled by "the closer the better" (as in "gets weaker with the square of the distance") rule or is there some happy medium related to the number of windings?  My invention has no central shaft and has the windings fixed with permanent magnets rotating inside the windings (generating brushless DC).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 05:37:03 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 07:18:53 AM »
Algelbert, generator and alternator design is not really a simple subject to explain and really requires brushing up on all electromagnetic laws before being in a position to understand it. Personally I can vaguely recall these laws, so don't hold me too hard to the explanation that follows.  I think the basic principle you need to ponder is that the strength of the induced emf field is proportional to the time rate of change of the magentic field.  So you first need to determine what output voltage you desire to produce power at.  Then you need to figure out how to go about achieveing the required time rate of change of the magnetic field.   Several factors influence the magnitude of the rate of change of the magnetic field, this includes the strength of the magnetic field, number of windings on the stator, and rotational or linear oscillatory speed.  I do not think that distance is actually critical, so long as your windings encase all the magnetic field lines.  Obviously though this imposes some cost constraints as the further away from the changing magnetic source the larger and more expensive the stator would have to be, so in actuality closer is better.   
As for your question of " maximizing electron flow induction". I don't think you really want to do this as the way to achieve it would be by minimizing the voltage you are generating at which would be done by having a low number of windings and therefore a high current output at a given mechanical generator power input. 
You will need to elaborate on your device a bit though for me to get what you are trying to achieve.  Right now I do not understand how you can have  rotating magnets without some sort of central shaft to drive them, nor how you can generate DC without brushes or a commutator in such an arrangement.

As for a rugged simple DC generator for keeping communication in survival situations I recommend checking out the new biolite, it is a gasifying wood cookstove couple with a thermoelectric generator for cell phone and computer charging needs http://biolitestove.com/

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »
Roamer,
Thank you kindly for all that information. I will copy and paste it and dwell on it to see what I can come up with. I've got this huge book that cost me $150 about ten years ago "Permanent Magnet Design and Applications" Moskowitz that goes into a lot of detail about flux and magnetic fields so I have some grasp of how to get most of the windings over the main part of the collapsing field but I will get back to the drawing board on what my current and voltage requirements are.

Here are some pictures I just uploaded of a prototype (on the drawing board only) with a ball park idea of construction lacking winding count. The basic method used to avoid a central shaft is that a toothed belt surrounds a rotating annulus with a series of large (and, of course, very expensive) rod or button type permanent magnets polarized along their length with gaps for collapsing field electric induction (they are the blue and red cube/rectangular solids in these pictures) . The annulus is held in position by three roller assemblies that fit through three corresponding gaps in the windings (although the windings all connect to each other so there is only one "+" and one "-" DC terminal. A housing surrounds the annulus supporting the windings with gaps for the rollers and the toothed belt entry and exit points. The toothed belt is attached to a wheel with a central shaft geared appropriately to  provide the mechanical energy to drive the electrical generator at the proper rpm regardless of load (within limits, of course).

BACK
FRONT
CLOSEUP OF "+" and "-" DC terminals. Looky here! No brushes!

I know! It's ugly as sin, but do you think it might work? :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:42:48 PM by agelbert »
Faith,

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 02:10:21 PM »
agelbert,  Nice sketchup modelling work.  I  have to mull over your design a bit, perhaps I'm missing something but I do not see what the advantage is over not having a central shaft drive the generator.  I also do not see how this would be a DC generator.  It looks like you have three groups of windings or phases and without a commutator the current will alternate in polarity as the magnets rotate through the phases.  Additionally the number of magnets with respect to the number of phases needs to be calculated so that the phases are not  at odds with each other. Maybe this http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CGoQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.windenergy.nl%2Fwebsite%2Ffiles%2Fartikelen%2FAXIAL_FLUX_HowItWorks.pdf&ei=HgIwUPeIBqTnyAH4iYGoDg&usg=AFQjCNF5rK4FM_dg4DFjFOBklzPG7-EWtA&sig2=vRlYNsghsxdyLOBw-4-99w&cad=rja] [url]http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CGoQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.windenergy.nl%2Fwebsite%2Ffiles%2Fartikelen%2FAXIAL_FLUX_HowItWorks.pdf&ei=HgIwUPeIBqTnyAH4iYGoDg&usg=AFQjCNF5rK4FM_dg4DFjFOBklzPG7-EWtA&sig2=vRlYNsghsxdyLOBw-4-99w&cad=rja[/url] article on a simple permanent magnet  axial generator for a wind turbine would be of some help