AuthorTopic: It's the Other Half I'm Worried About  (Read 882 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
It's the Other Half I'm Worried About
« on: April 27, 2016, 05:52:05 AM »
New poll says half of all Americans think the Presidential nominating system is "rigged". I wonder how they could have come to that conclusion?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-primaries-poll-idUSKCN0XO0ZR

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: It's the Other Half I'm Worried About
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 07:33:28 AM »
New poll says half of all Americans think the Presidential nominating system is "rigged". I wonder how they could have come to that conclusion?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-primaries-poll-idUSKCN0XO0ZR

The same way peak oilers were misled....by listening to people who really don't know what they are talking about?
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 07:36:09 AM »
So you're one of the fifty percent who think it's NOT rigged, then?

Offline jdwheeler42

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Going Upslope
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 11:10:44 AM »
I think we have a real pseudo-choice, as in what Soros told his buddies in early 2012 (and I'm paraphrasing): as long as it's Obama vs. Romney, we (the extremely rich) have nothing to worry about.
Making pigs fly is easy... that is, of course, after you have built the catapult....

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
I think this election cycle has opened a lot of eyes with regards to how a popular candidate like Bernie, or even Trump, can run afoul of the Party machines, who often really decide who we're allowed to vote for.

In other words, primary wins don't give any candidate a lock on the nomination, nor do primary losses prevent a candidate from being nominated, as long as that candidate has spent plenty of time and money greasing the wheels of the likes of "superdelgates" or whatever name they give to the people who can throw their support to anybody they want...and fuck you Mr./Ms. American voter.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:58:03 AM »

I am ambivalent. I think both might be wrong, and right...those that think it is a fair and reasonable and unbiased system, and those that think that TPTB pick the winners.

The system strikes me as far more stochastic than anyone is willing to admit, which again leaves open the door to someone capable of slanting the probabilities in their favor, and the pure random nature of the system making it very difficult to push off the central tendency.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Worrying about those who don't worry. A fools errand!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »
Once public relations got involved the system was rigged beyond any reasonable question.  Rigged as in he who has the gold makes the rules and that rule has been sanctioned by our Supreme Court. 

People don't vote on issues.  People don't understand issues.  People do what they are told to do.  If people get socially rewarded in following the directives of a well financed public relations effort they then confuse their robot obedience with free choice and don't smell the difference. 

Money pollutes democracy and American democracy has been bought and sold so much it really can't be called democracy anymore.  Money has silenced the voice of all who have not the affluence to participate in American faux democracy.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:23:44 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Worrying about those who don't worry. A fools errand!
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 04:04:24 PM »
Once public relations got involved the system was rigged beyond any reasonable question.  Rigged as in he who has the gold makes the rules and that rule has been sanctioned by our Supreme Court. 

So you are saying you fall for what advertisers attempt to sell you? Why? Advertisers tell us old farts we need to color our hair, I noticed a picture of you and Guy, certainly you appear to have resisted this advertising same as I. So why do you suddenly take leave of your senses when you go to vote?

Quote from: K-Dog
People don't vote on issues.  People don't understand issues.  People do what they are told to do.

So why aren't coloring your hair...as you have been told? And people have NEVER understood issues, this just didn't suddenly come along because the Supreme Court passed some decision or another.

Quote from: K-Dog
Money pollutes democracy and American democracy has been bought and sold so much it really can't be called democracy anymore.  Money has silenced the voice of all who have not the affluence to participate in American faux democracy.

Don't tell that to Bernie's supporters, they did a pretty good job at fighting the machine, and his folks were certainly participating. Same as Trump's I might add, the difference for Trump looks like his effort will succeed in getting the nomination, and Bernie's looks likely to fail.
-Dalai Lama