AuthorTopic: One Out of Six Home Buyers Needs Space for Grown Children  (Read 427 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
One Out of Six Home Buyers Needs Space for Grown Children
« on: April 27, 2016, 02:01:12 PM »
Home builders have switched from MIL plans to "grown children" plans to meet the reality of the housing market, I will repeat what I've said before, extended families being forced to live together under one roof is not necessarily a bad thing.

Multi-generational households are more resilient, and these Millenial kids often do contribute substantially to the household, if not with money, with their time and energy. There is a day coming, when family will be far more important than it is to most people today.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-27/we-all-work-team-millennials-explain-how-its-going-living-rent-free-home
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 02:03:05 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: One Out of Six Home Buyers Needs Space for Grown Children
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 02:32:37 PM »
Home builders have switched from MIL plans to "grown children" plans to meet the reality of the housing market, I will repeat what I've said before, extended families being forced to live together under one roof is not necessarily a bad thing.

Multi-generational households are more resilient, and these Millenial kids often do contribute substantially to the household, if not with money, with their time and energy. There is a day coming, when family will be far more important than it is to most people today.

In Sudan there is a much stronger culture for the kids to stay at home even when they are adults. Staying in the home even extends into married life and while I can easily understand many peoples' misgivings on account of less privacy and ultimately less control there are some advantages. The main ones I have observed is that when the parents are both at work the grandparents (who are often retired) are there to take care of the little children while the parents work. The parents save on childcare, the grandparent gets mental stimulation taking care of a child and the children normally develop social skills more quickly as the number of grown adults around the child is greater. If you have say multiple uncles' and aunts living in a big household then this social development is more pronounced. A larger number of people working in any given household also means a bigger house can be maintained and you are more resilient to financial shocks as it is less likely everyone is unemployed as opposed to traditional western families which follow the nuclear model and only two people earning a living.