AuthorTopic: Golden Oxen's Menagerie of Mad Meandering Mutterings  (Read 5159 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Golden Oxen's Menagerie of Mad Meandering Mutterings
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2018, 09:45:00 PM »
Weird how different we all are heh Diners, willing to bet no one had these mad crazy thoughts after reading the latest diner postings tonight but me. Thanks for listening to my mad mutterings, nice to have a place to share them.  :icon_scratch:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/h5JXrP8yv8o" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/h5JXrP8yv8o</a>

We all have our reasons for being here. Glad to know another of yours.

"...Do you know what that means? 'Not with a bang, but a whimper.'  And with a fucking whimper, I am splitting, Jack."

I cannot adequately convey the emotional gut punch this film was to me the first time I saw it. A flawed masterpiece, but a masterpiece nonetheless.

Welcome back Surly, hope the worst of your ordeal is behind you.

Yes Eliot certainly was a literary giant, the phrase is so short and simple yet fills one with all sorts of deep dark emotions.

The gut wrenching indeed, stunned, never forgot it. Unlike most, I considered Dennis the star of the movie rather than Marlon. Hard for me to understand why it seems only a few years ago I first saw it rather than close to a half century ago. :icon_scratch:

Perhaps as photo buffs we saw it in more ways than one. What a Film!!!

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2018, 10:02:51 PM »
Unlike most, I considered Dennis the star of the movie rather than Marlon.

I think Martin Sheen was the film lead actor.  Biggest Star IMHO was Robert Duvall.

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/k26hmRbDQFw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/k26hmRbDQFw</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2018, 05:31:20 AM »
I have to watch it again. I do think as a literary remake of Heart of Darkness, Brando as Kurtz was the best casting and had the most important role. HOWEVER, I have to agree with RE that Duvall's "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning" was a spectacular scene and one of the best anti-war narratives of the films coming out of the Vietnam era (Deer Hunter being my other favorite).
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2018, 07:42:37 AM »
I have to watch it again. I do think as a literary remake of Heart of Darkness, Brando as Kurtz was the best casting and had the most important role. HOWEVER, I have to agree with RE that Duvall's "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning" was a spectacular scene and one of the best anti-war narratives of the films coming out of the Vietnam era (Deer Hunter being my other favorite).
AJ

Yet again, the differences of us all and reactions to works of art becomes apparent. How revealing and important it is to the learning process to read differing views.

My take was that the movie was almost ruined by Duvall as was the endless beginning of the movie which catered to the war movie loving crowd with it's macho BS.  Once Hopper appeared I became totally transfixed, hyper alert, and attentive to every sound, motion, facial grimace, it was the beginning of the movie for me after a long boring intro to make it a box office attraction for the napalm crowd.

This differing of views is most noticeable to anyone who read critics reviews and commentary sections where they are still allowed by free speech advocates.

Just two more examples of these vast differences in my tastes are the world acclaimed artists Frida Kahlo and Andy Warhol.

In the case of the former, note I'm talking her art not the person, what anyone sees in it, let alone the acclaim, escapes me completely. Yet if others adore it, that's OK with me.

Same with Andy, I laughed when i first saw his art and told myself, someone is joking and toying with the Dim.

Then I saw and perused a few of his works such as pictured below and still feel a bit ashamed as I remeber my foolishness.

Our Peter wrote an excellent article years back on how we and our opinions and perceptions change markedly with the passage of time. It's true, perhaps my ideas on Frida's art will change as well.  :dontknow:

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2018, 02:22:25 PM »
Just two more examples of these vast differences in my tastes are the world acclaimed artists Frida Kahlo and Andy Warhol.

In the case of the former, note I'm talking her art not the person, what anyone sees in it, let alone the acclaim, escapes me completely. Yet if others adore it, that's OK with me.

Same with Andy, I laughed when i first saw his art and told myself, someone is joking and toying with the Dim.

Then I saw and perused a few of his works such as pictured below and still feel a bit ashamed as I remeber my foolishness.

Our Peter wrote an excellent article years back on how we and our opinions and perceptions change markedly with the passage of time. It's true, perhaps my ideas on Frida's art will change as well. 

Much the same.

My own perception in re Warhol tracked with yours. Then I spent a day in the Warhol museum on Pittsburgh's north side, fittingly installed in a repurposed factory building.

By the end of this immersive experience, I had a far better understanding of what Warhol was trying to do, the context of his work within the times, the breadth of his achievements. That was well worth doing. If you ever find yourself in the 'Burgh, you'd find it an afternoon extremely well spent. I was really moved.

And then you'd find yourself adrift in a city with hundreds of superb restaurants for dinner. No downside.

It would be awful if our perspectives were ossified and unable to change. Few of us remain unchanged by the march of the decades.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2019, 05:20:36 AM »
Light postings today. Brain dead from markets overnight.

Rare to witness such madness in the financial arena.

Need some shut eye to prepare for today's madness, big changes afoot, trust me. Everything moving at once in new directions and suddenly.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DMnM_cQu6Fo" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DMnM_cQu6Fo</a>

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2019, 07:45:28 AM »
Read many places of late how the President of the US is a "Bully". Having thought about it and my conclusion is that he is surely a different kind of President but not a bully.

Bully's to my mind always have a gang around them. Lackeys to parrot what they say and protect the coward. They always fold when finally stood up to by someone who has had enough and calls him out.

The President has none it appears to me. The press hate him, his party also. His lawyer hates him, the FBI hates and sought to destroy him. Most world leaders hate him. Democrats despise and loathe him, I'm scared to even mention his name here so I won't. Most American billionaires, his own kind, disdain him. The Supreme Court Chief Justice obviously hates him. Hollywood seethes with hatred of him. TV shows mock imitate and ridicule him, SNL a prime example. The Ivy league elitists puke and vomit at the sight of him. Generals dislike him. The folks who voted for him seem to be his only supporters and he addresses them through Twitter because he does not trust the media. He even has his own security being wary of the SS with good reason.

Yet he takes it all in without a flinch and hates them all back. Whatever or whomever the President is remains a mystery to me. Have thought much about him lately from the government shutdown. Mitt Romney had me mulling him over quite a bit as well after knifing the President in the back after accepting his help in carpetbagging a senate seat. He of course is a darling of the RNC and party.

Baffled by the President, Only thing I'm sure of is the words bully and coward don't apply to him in my world.  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:   :dontknow: :dontknow:

Just some crazy mutterings and thoughts from GO diners. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2019, 08:33:48 AM »

Bully's to my mind always have a gang around them. Lackeys to parrot what they say and protect the coward.

Perfect description of a POTUS whose closest advisors are his own kids.

Also, any man who goes around grabbing women by the pussy is definitely a Bully.

Besides being a Bully, he's a Clown🤡, as are the people who voted for him.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2019, 10:51:12 AM »
Read many places of late how the President of the US is a "Bully". Having thought about it and my conclusion is that he is surely a different kind of President but not a bully.

Bully's to my mind always have a gang around them. Lackeys to parrot what they say and protect the coward. They always fold when finally stood up to by someone who has had enough and calls him out.

The President has none it appears to me. The press hate him, his party also. His lawyer hates him, the FBI hates and sought to destroy him. Most world leaders hate him. Democrats despise and loathe him, I'm scared to even mention his name here so I won't. Most American billionaires, his own kind, disdain him. The Supreme Court Chief Justice obviously hates him. Hollywood seethes with hatred of him. TV shows mock imitate and ridicule him, SNL a prime example. The Ivy league elitists puke and vomit at the sight of him. Generals dislike him. The folks who voted for him seem to be his only supporters and he addresses them through Twitter because he does not trust the media. He even has his own security being wary of the SS with good reason.

Yet he takes it all in without a flinch and hates them all back. Whatever or whomever the President is remains a mystery to me. Have thought much about him lately from the government shutdown. Mitt Romney had me mulling him over quite a bit as well after knifing the President in the back after accepting his help in carpetbagging a senate seat. He of course is a darling of the RNC and party.

Baffled by the President, Only thing I'm sure of is the words bully and coward don't apply to him in my world.  :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch:   :dontknow: :dontknow:

Just some crazy mutterings and thoughts from GO diners.

I'd argue with you, but I don't think you'd listen. He's not only a bully and coward, but also a sociopath. A man who has suffered  mightily from not being coked on his ass by life, and has been able to buy his way out of anything with a combo of fixers, lawyers, money and enforcers. A man immune to the normal reactions of human decency. He certainly has a gang around him; the fact that you don't see them is just part of the optics.

"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound