AuthorTopic: Welcome!  (Read 55265 times)

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Welcome!
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2017, 06:19:47 PM »
I see nearly 5 years have elapsed since I first posted on this site. That's not a reflection of the quality of the site or its content; instead it reflects my reluctance to write about my somewhat close encounters with the capstone of the pyramid or power elite as I previously stated.

I am very familiar with such things having had more than close encounters myself.

Yet being reluctant gives them power and they win.  Caution care and deliberation need to be your watchwords not reluctance.

As far as depression goes I'm choosing not to indulge.  We live in an absurd world and I am going to make the most out of of the time I have left.  I simply choose not to embrace the absurdity.  I choose to rebel against it.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 13, 2017, 06:42:38 PM »

By the way, the quote from Rumi is also known the hermetic principal of correspondence. If anyone could explain the practical application of these laws it would be great.

Hope all your reap what you sow questions are answered here. It's light physics.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bIvILcCqSaA&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bIvILcCqSaA&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 13, 2017, 07:14:08 PM »
I personally feel that depression is an indication of a healthy mind in this world.  Who in their right mind would be happy about the way the world is? 

I don't think it's ever healthy to be depressed.  At best you end up feeling crappy all the time, at worst you can get suicidal.  Suicide is not good for your health.  Even worse than smoking. lol.

However, just because you are not depressed doesn't automatically make you "happy".  There are many mood states between "depressed" and "happy".

I don't get depressed about the state of the world for a few reasons.  First off, I've had a lot of time to process it, and long ago realized the world was fucked up.  "Life sucks, and then you die."  So you just plug onward, sometimes getting bad breaks, other times getting some good ones.  Every day above ground is another day to contemplate the meaning of life and watch another SUN☼rise.   :icon_sunny:

The only time money ever depressed me was when I was completely broke and still had Credit Card bills.  Once I declared Bankruptcy though and got my first trucking job with Schneider, money never depressed me again.  I always had enough, because I don't need a lot.  I could live on a min wage salary.  Recently, money didn't depress me, but it did worry me after my accident and before my SSI was approved and I won my Workman's Comp case.  For 7 months with no income, I had nightmares every night of ending up a Homeless Cripple Freezing to Death on the Streets of Palmer, Alaska.  I watched my carefully harbored Savings dwindle.  But my frugality paid off for me, because my Savings lasted long enough to carry me through to the day the first payment from SSI rolled into my checking account, and except for the health problems I face I LOVE retirement.  :icon_sunny:

How did I do that?  After declaring BK, I made a vow I would never go in debt again, never take another loan from a bank.  No Mortgages, No Car Loans, No Credit Cards.  Everything I bought for the last 25 years was paid for with CASH.  I never took on expenses that were beyond what I could afford, in fact I always tried to keep my expenses to half what I could afford, so that I could SAVE MONEY.  Save money I did, and that is what SAVED ME.  I made it through 7 months with no income.  How many Amerikans could do that?  Answer, not too many.

Will SS last forever?  No, it won't but when SS dies, Collapse is full on.  Many SS recipients now support their adult children and grandchildren.  20% of the population receives some sort of mailbox money.  You take that out of the economy, and the crash would be literally overnight.  I am just trying to stay above ground long enough to see my predictions validated.  I hope I can last that long.

Anyhow, between "happy" and "depressed", I put "fatalistic", which is what I am.  We all get born with no choice as to who, where or when we sprung to corporeal life.  Somewhere along the way you may get the Epiphany that "Life Sucks and then you Die".  Most of the people through history and most of the people living on the planet today have a suckier life than you do.  Slums, Slavery, Child labor, Refugee Camps, polluted drinking water, the works.  However, you don't see them dropping Fukitol every day to make it through another day.

For you Depressed Diners out there I have no recipe for ridding yourself of depression, but it's definitely not a healthy state of mind and you should try.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #273 on: October 13, 2017, 07:32:12 PM »
I personally feel that depression is an indication of a healthy mind in this world.  Who in their right mind would be happy about the way the world is? 

I don't think it's ever healthy to be depressed.  At best you end up feeling crappy all the time, at worst you can get suicidal.  Suicide is not good for your health.  Even worse than smoking. lol.

However, just because you are not depressed doesn't automatically make you "happy".  There are many mood states between "depressed" and "happy".

I don't get depressed about the state of the world for a few reasons.  First off, I've had a lot of time to process it, and long ago realized the world was fucked up.  "Life sucks, and then you die."  So you just plug onward, sometimes getting bad breaks, other times getting some good ones.  Every day above ground is another day to contemplate the meaning of life and watch another SUN☼rise.   :icon_sunny:

The only time money ever depressed me was when I was completely broke and still had Credit Card bills.  Once I declared Bankruptcy though and got my first trucking job with Schneider, money never depressed me again.  I always had enough, because I don't need a lot.  I could live on a min wage salary.  Recently, money didn't depress me, but it did worry me after my accident and before my SSI was approved and I won my Workman's Comp case.  For 7 months with no income, I had nightmares every night of ending up a Homeless Cripple Freezing to Death on the Streets of Palmer, Alaska.  I watched my carefully harbored Savings dwindle.  But my frugality paid off for me, because my Savings lasted long enough to carry me through to the day the first payment from SSI rolled into my checking account, and except for the health problems I face I LOVE retirement.  :icon_sunny:

How did I do that?  After declaring BK, I made a vow I would never go in debt again, never take another loan from a bank.  No Mortgages, No Car Loans, No Credit Cards.  Everything I bought for the last 25 years was paid for with CASH.  I never took on expenses that were beyond what I could afford, in fact I always tried to keep my expenses to half what I could afford, so that I could SAVE MONEY.  Save money I did, and that is what SAVED ME.  I made it through 7 months with no income.  How many Amerikans could do that?  Answer, not too many.

Will SS last forever?  No, it won't but when SS dies, Collapse is full on.  Many SS recipients now support their adult children and grandchildren.  20% of the population receives some sort of mailbox money.  You take that out of the economy, and the crash would be literally overnight.  I am just trying to stay above ground long enough to see my predictions validated.  I hope I can last that long.

Anyhow, between "happy" and "depressed", I put "fatalistic", which is what I am.  We all get born with no choice as to who, where or when we sprung to corporeal life.  Somewhere along the way you may get the Epiphany that "Life Sucks and then you Die".  Most of the people through history and most of the people living on the planet today have a suckier life than you do.  Slums, Slavery, Child labor, Refugee Camps, polluted drinking water, the works.  However, you don't see them dropping Fukitol every day to make it through another day.

For you Depressed Diners out there I have no recipe for ridding yourself of depression, but it's definitely not a healthy state of mind and you should try.

RE

I agree 100%, depression is a bad situation to be avoided.

Who in their right mind would choose not to be happy?   If the state of the world is not a source of happiness find it elsewhere.  You will not be selling out if you do.  It will not be the same thing as joining the ranks of the mindless sheep as you think.  Under conditions of standard temperature and pressure the organism will naturally be happy.  Find the right conditions for you.

Depression is complicated but part of its perpetuation is us choosing the same reactions to a circumstance which repeats when other reactions that we could have would be better, more appropriate, and better suited to break the cycle.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 14, 2017, 09:15:41 AM »
Well yes the principal of mentalism is applicable: all is mental. But isn't this like lifting oneself up by the bootstraps?

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 14, 2017, 09:22:01 AM »
Well yes the principal of mentalism is applicable: all is mental. But isn't this like lifting oneself up by the bootstraps?

Not really, because you don't function in a vacuum.  You can look for levers outside yourself to crank yourself out of the depression vortex.  Not always EZ to find of course, but they are there.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 14, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »
Don't be this guy....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UKO4hljxdUU&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UKO4hljxdUU&fs=1</a>
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Welcome! Hey Mo, Heads Up
« Reply #277 on: October 15, 2017, 01:56:36 PM »
Thanks for offering help with my depression AZ!

After 4 decades of continual suffering I finally got this under control thanks to kundalini yoga, finally getting competent CBT and internet research.

In terms of the chakra model, first and second chakras need work because the adrenal cortex is damaged. Also sixth chakra for hypothalamus and pituitary.

Magic mushroom extract changes brains of people with depression

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2150305-magic-mushroom-extract-changes-brains-of-people-with-depression/

New Scientist

By New Scientist staff and Press Association

Psilocybin, a hallucinogenic compound found in magic mushrooms, may help re-set the activity of neural circuits in the brain that are involved in depression.

Magic mushroom enthusiasts have long believed that the drug’s ability to induce profound-feeling experiences could be therapeutically useful. Brain-imaging studies have shown that psilocybin targets areas of the brain overactive in depression.

Last year, Robin Carhart-Harris of Imperial College London and his colleagues conducted the first clinical trial of using psilocybin to treat depression, and got some encouraging results. The trial only involved 12 people and no control group, but the team found that after two sessions of psilocybin-assisted psychotherapy, all of the volunteers had reduced symptoms.

Now Carhart-Harris and his team have shown that psilocybin seems to cause changes in the brains of people with depression. The study involved 19 people who, like in the previous study, had depression that had not been helped by conventional treatments.
Mood reset

Each volunteer was given a 10 mg and 25 mg dose of psilocybin, seven days apart. Brain scans showed that, after taking the drug, activity in some regions of the brain reduced. These areas included the amygdala, which plays a role in processing stress and fear. The participants reported an immediate improvement in mood that lasted for up to five weeks.

“We have shown for the first time clear changes in brain activity in depressed people treated with psilocybin after failing to respond to conventional treatments,” says Carhart-Harris. “Several of our patients described feeling ‘reset’ after the treatment.”

“This is further evidence that psilocybin may turn out to be effective for the most stubborn depression,” says Paul Morrison, of King’s College London. “Developments in this area are a priority in psychiatry. Some people can go through years of suffering, which resist all standard therapies.”

Carhart-Harris’s team warned that people should not attempt to self-medicate with psychedelic drugs.

Journal reference: Scientific Reports, DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-13282-7

Read more: Meet the man giving people psychedelics for science

Offline moniker

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 20, 2018, 05:09:45 PM »
These are the power elite and will not be defeated at their own game.  The only hope for humanity is