PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Homeless: There But for Fortune...

AuthorTopic: Homeless: There But for Fortune...  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Homeless: There But for Fortune...
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 01:28:48 PM »
Will the police crack down? I would expect that in most cities now. Here, they only tolerate urban camping if nobody can see it. There are some long standing spots, but the police run people off periodically.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 04:06:26 PM »
Both hands on the wheel.  This is the interstate.  I have tried to drive and click.  The camps have been here before and I have tried to photograph them out the window.  The tents wind up being the size of a postage stamp in the pics and the people are really small.  Sometimes the view is across lanes of traffic.  Today was something new.  Before I saw a camp here and there.  Today they were everywhere for about a two mile stretch.

Get a GoPro and clamp it to the rear view mirror.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline luciddreams

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »
Seattle has always had a lot of homeless drug addicts.  It was that way when I lived there in 2002.  Heroine addicts sleeping in sleeping bags all over the place.  Seems that type is called there for some reason. 

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 11:46:59 PM »
Will the police crack down? I would expect that in most cities now. Here, they only tolerate urban camping if nobody can see it. There are some long standing spots, but the police run people off periodically.

The camps are allowed to stay in different places but they are taken down and residents forced to move when the garbage problem becomes bad.  The basic idea is to get the people into shelters before the camps are taken down.  Once an area is cleared portable chain link fence sections keep people from coming back.  That won't work along the freeway of course.  Moving along the freeway may be as a result of other camps being closed.

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 08:40:29 PM »
No homeless report this morning because I forgot my phone at home.  I counted about 20 tents in three distinct hedgerows over about a mile before I was forty feet off the ground on the viaduct flying towards the stadium.

I-90

To the lower right is Sam Smith Park.  I met Sam once.  He was from the south-end.  That is where I-90 comes out of the tunnel.  The first two camps were on the right.  The first immediately out of the tunnel up an embankment up to a concrete fence/barrier.  The second was in the cloverleaf where I-90 crosses Rainier Avenue.  That is the only city street crossed so you can locate it easy but don't confuse it with the Rizal Bridge near I-5.  The last camp with the most tents was along I-5 just to the south of where I crossed over on the last half mile of I-90 before it hits salt water.

I snagged the photo off Google Earth.  Green dots are evergreens and the photography was done when the grass was dry in later summer.  That is nice since you can tell where the camps are more easily.  What you don't get is the topography.  There are significant elevation changes around the freeway.  The tunnel cuts through a 300 foot ridge after I-90 comes off Lake Washington.  Sam Smith was built over the tunnel after the tunnel was extended to form the park lid.  Originally the tunnel was only a tenth of a mile long through the ridge.  Now it is more than twice as long as that.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 08:57:11 PM by K-Dog »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
AP PHOTOS: Homelessness leaves mark on West Coast cities
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 12:15:09 PM »
https://www.apnews.com/ce383d6fe4de4b9da254de35a2e99e87

AP PHOTOS: Homelessness leaves mark on West Coast cities

Homelessness is not a new issue to America’s West Coast. But it’s getting worse — much worse.

On any given night, more than 105,000 people are sleeping unsheltered in some of the country’s biggest and trendiest metropolises, driven there by soaring housing costs, rental vacancy rates that rival those in Manhattan and a booming tech economy that’s leaving thousands behind. Another 63,000 are sleeping in shelters or transitional housing with no safety net.

The rising numbers have pushed abject poverty into the open like never before.

San Diego now scrubs its sidewalks with bleach to counter a deadly hepatitis A outbreak that has spread to other cities and forced California to declare a state of emergency. In Anaheim, home to Disneyland, 400 people sleep along a bike path in the shadow of Angel Stadium. Organizers in Portland, Oregon, lit incense at a recent outdoor food festival to mask the stench of urine in a parking lot where vendors set up shop.

All along the coast, elected officials are scrambling for solutions .

“It’s a sea of humanity crashing against services, and services at this point are overwhelmed, literally overwhelmed,” said Jeremy Lemoine, who works for a Seattle nonprofit that provides various forms of assistance to the homeless. “It’s catastrophic.”

___

Follow AP’s complete coverage of the homeless crisis here: https://apnews.com/tag/HomelessCrisis
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »
The some-what belated homeless report.  Imagine being so preoccupied driving I did not notice the camps this morning. Are they still there I can’t say.  Once parked my awareness changed.  I needed a tube of silicone sealant for work so I walked over to Home Depot.  Only Starbucks Corporate HQ is between work and Home Depot.  They are not all in the burbs.  Sixteen men waited by the parking lot entrance hoping to get picked up for a job.  As I walked by I overheard one of them telling another to show up somewhere at 8:30 AM and there would be work.  Every morning. I did not hear any details.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Homeless: Cinderella Man in Seattle
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »
The some-what belated homeless report.  Imagine being so preoccupied driving I did not notice the camps this morning. Are they still there I can’t say.  Once parked my awareness changed.  I needed a tube of silicone sealant for work so I walked over to Home Depot.  Only Starbucks Corporate HQ is between work and Home Depot.  They are not all in the burbs.  Sixteen men waited by the parking lot entrance hoping to get picked up for a job.  As I walked by I overheard one of them telling another to show up somewhere at 8:30 AM and there would be work.  Every morning. I did not hear any details.

Sounds like the scene from "Cinderella Man" where all the wannabee Longshoremen for the day show up looking for work.  It works like that today too with Lumpers on the loading docks of many warehouses the trucks go to.  These are sleazy operations run by somebody who gets a contract from the warehouse to provide labor, then he gets the cheapest he can get on a daily basis.  Sometimes independent lumpers can operate, most times no.  No bennies of course.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5IMbKdSAW7Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5IMbKdSAW7Y</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanksgiving LA: 'We haven't seen numbers like this since the Great Depression'
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2017, 07:07:09 AM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-homeless-thanksgiving-20171123-story.html

Thanksgiving help for the homeless: 'We haven't seen numbers like this since the Great Depression'

On Skid Row

Volunteer Monica Smith serves up a Thanksgiving meal at the Union Rescue Mission in Los Angeles last year. (Barbara Davidson / Los Angeles Times)

City News Service

Thanksgiving meals will be served to thousands of homeless and near-homeless individuals today on Skid Row and in Pasadena and Canoga Park amid calls for donations and volunteers for the rest of the year.

The Midnight Mission will serve Thanksgiving brunch to nearly 2,500 homeless and near-homeless men, women and children, according to Georgia Berkovich, its director of public affairs.
ADVERTISING
inRead invented by Teads

Scheduled volunteer servers include gubernatorial candidate and former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, entertainer Dick Van Dyke and actress Nicolette Sheridan.

The Midnight Mission is seeking donations of $5 to $10 to help it cover the costs of the meals. Donations can be made by texting “Meals” to 71777, Berkovich said. The mission serves meals seven days a week, distributes hygiene kits after its meal service and conducts drives for food and clothing to distribute to its guests.

Berkovich said the group has been serving nearly 1 million meals a year each year since 2013.

“We haven't seen numbers like this since the Great Depression,” she said.

The nearby Fred Jordan Mission expects to serve more than a ton of turkey drumsticks, along with 500 pounds of mashed potatoes, 80 gallons of gravy, hundreds of pounds of traditional cornbread stuffing, 560 pounds of candied yams, 585 pounds of green beans, glazed carrots, spiced peaches, cranberry sauce and 400 pumpkin pies, according to the mission's Suzanna Choi.

The mission is seeking donations of unwrapped toys worth $15 to $20 each to be given to thousands of poor children for Christmas. The toys can be dropped off at the mission on Thanksgiving or any other day through Dec. 15, Choi said.

Union Station Homeless Services will be serving thousands of meals at its annual Thanksgiving Dinner in the Park at Central Park in Pasadena, continuing a tradition that began in 1972. Donations of store-bought pies will be accepted Thanksgiving morning, CEO John C. Brauer said.

More than 2,000 people will be served a sit-down meal of turkey with trimmings at the 30th annual Community Thanksgiving Day Dinner for San Fernando Valley homeless and low-income families at the Guadalupe Community Center in Canoga Park.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN