AuthorTopic: Homeless: There But for Fortune...  (Read 9301 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
⛺ Homeless camps taking over Anchorage neighborhoods
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2018, 01:21:23 PM »
Go to the KTVA link for their video.

Here's an older one from a local.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/HqVfGC1BG9E" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/HqVfGC1BG9E</a>

RE

http://www.ktva.com/story/39217691/homeless-camps-taking-over-anchorage-neighborhoods

Homeless camps taking over Anchorage neighborhoods
Tuesday, October 2nd 2018, 8:07 PM AKDT
By Cassie Schirm
Current Time 0:28

Duration 4:42

Anchorage neighbors desperate to find a solution for the homeless]

It’s one of Anchorage’s biggest challenges: finding ways to help the homeless.

While Anchorage works to find a solution, one neighborhood and community is dealing with the cost of homelessness in their backyards every day.

KTVA took a walk with four people who live along Chester Creek Park. In just the first mile, we saw more than 20 camps some just a few steps away from their homes. Now neighbors are saying it’s a problem needs to be fixed, fast.

“It’s a crisis where we live,” said Barbra a neighbor who lives on Eagle Street.

Four people, living in the same neighborhood, dealing with the same problem, homeless camps, taking over they say, their lives.

“What they are doing is using our neighborhood literally our backyard as an unofficial campground,” said Barbara. “There is sewage on the ground and there is needles and all of this trash it’s a health hazard for them and it’s a health hazard for us and it’s illegal.”

A few steps behind, neighbor Tom Morrison’s house you see where many fires have burnt the area.

“You look through all these camps and there’s a lot of fires off a lot of burn area tree trunks when there are propane fires,” said Barbara. “These flames are shooting way up into the treetops.”

Five minutes into our walk, neighbors had to call 911 for a fire in a camp -- something they’ve done many times before.

“First week of April and I was lucky I was here,” said Morrison. “I honestly thought my shed was on fire and it came within twenty feet of my shed. If it would have caught the shed on fire my propane and my gas tanks it probably would have jumped to my house too. There was ammunition going off in the fire too we told the firemen that there was ammunition earlier so protect yourselves.”

The community isn’t just worried about the fires -- crime is keeping them up at night.

“What we are seeing, though, a big increase in criminal encampment," said neighbor Mark Butler. “These are encampments where there’s a lot of people working there and they’re engaged and chopping up bikes stealing stuff still in propane tanks things from [the] neighborhood here before homeless people would just hide out..”

We saw many bike chop shops along the trail where people take bikes and sell them for parts. One of the chop shops was the size of a house.

“It’s a very large camp and it seems to be a very big chop shop for a lot of the bicycles that get stolen,” said Barbara. “This one it still remains it's been here at least six months probably a lot longer.”

The neighborhood, now taking things into their own hands going to tent to tent telling the campers to leave.

“Hey folks, someone sleeping right there,” said Butler. “Man, this is a park not a place to sleep we’re going to report it I suggest you get out pretty soon get out of here. We’ve seen a tremendous growth in these camps here in the last 5, 6, 7, 8 years there’s no question”

And now, some say is the time the city needs to do something.

“We need to get beyond our horror stories because everyone has them,” said neighbor Linda Chase. “We have to get beyond sharing these ridiculous situations and we have to move into action.”

Nancy Burke, the city’s housing and homeless coordinator said Chester Creek Park has been a big focus this summer.

“We did a big sweep of the entire trail area,” said Burke. “However, camps do move around, so even when one process had been completed new ones might have moved in. We are getting there it is something of a resource question we don’t have enough resources to address every camp in every location and yet we are trying to make the best use and the most effective use of the resources we have.”

After years of fearing for their safety, being on edge 24/7 and cleaning up after the uninvited guests to their neighborhood you would think these neighbors would want this problem to just go away; you’d be wrong.

“We have compassion for the homeless people. They need a place to be,” said Barbra. “When did our city become when did it become okay with us to tell the least fortunate of us whether they be out of a job or whether they be addicted to substances. When did it become okay for us to say it’s okay for them to live in their own filth and that’s okay? They deserve better than that we deserve better than that and we need to be better at fixing the situation.”
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
⛺ Trying Not To Break Down — A Homeless Teen Navigates Middle School
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2018, 04:58:05 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/collapse/comments/9mogsr/trying_not_to_break_down_a_homeless_teen/

Trying Not To Break Down — A Homeless Teen Navigates Middle School
3:33

Caydden, 14, and Keston Zimmerman, 11, sit outside a homeless shelter in Boise, Idaho, with their grandmother Pam Cantrell. They've been searching for housing for three months.
Amanda Preacher/Boise State Public Radio

Download

October 9, 20184:56 AM ET
Heard on Morning Edition

Amanda Preacher

From
Boise State Public Radio

Fourteen-year-old Caydden Zimmerman's school days start early and end late.

He has a 90-minute bus ride to get from the homeless shelter where he's staying in Boise, Idaho, to his middle school. He wakes up at 5:45 a.m., quickly brushes his teeth and smooths some gel in his hair, and then dashes downstairs to catch his school bus.

Two-and-a-half million children in the U.S. are currently homeless according to the National Center on Family Homelessness. That number is rising as house prices and rental costs continue to grow in large cities and small and the trend is clearly visible in Boise — the fastest-growing city in the nation.

Caydden has been living at City Light Home For Women and Children for a couple of months now with his 11-year-old brother Keston and his grandma, Pam Cantrell. Cantrell says they moved here after getting an eviction notice at their former duplex.

"The landlord decided to sell the property, and we just could not find a place we could afford," Cantrell says. "The more I looked the more depressed I got. I just, I didn't know what to do."

Like Cantrell and her grandsons, many low-income families in Boise struggle to find housing they can afford. Cantrell gets a small disability stipend from the government, but that's nowhere near enough to cover rent and other expenses.

The boys' mother is addicted to drugs and struggles with mental illness, Cantrell says, which is why grandma is the boys' full-time caretaker now.

"I grew up being alone, raised by my older brother and my grandma," Caydden says. "She means everything. Without her I wouldn't be here. I'd probably be dead somewhere."

After three months of searching, the shelter became their only option. Cantrell is grateful to have a place to stay, but says not having a permanent home is really hard on her grandsons.

"My youngest one, he can be a little terror, because he's upset by it," Cantrell says. "He gets angry, and he'll sit in the corner and say, 'I hate this place, I hate this place.'"

'It's Just An Effort Not To Break Down'

It's difficult for Caydden too, but you wouldn't know it. Caydden is a social 14-year-old with a big smile. One of his favorite things about school is seeing his friends.

"My friends know about it — me being homeless — they don't tease me on it," Caydden says. "They just know that I'm doing it, I'm trying to work hard. And it's just an effort to try not to break down."

Homeless kids tend to score lower on standardized tests, and have lower graduation rates. It's harder to concentrate when you're anxious and worried. And sometimes Caydden does break down with his friends.

"They always bring me up, when I'm feeling down," he says. "They make me smile when I'm sad."

Caydden's grades have improved since he started at this alternative middle school for students who struggle in traditional academic settings. The school district received a grant to pay for a bus to transport homeless students who are scattered across the Boise area.

Homeless students often bounce around to different schools as their living situations change. That can make it nearly impossible to keep up, so Pathways Middle School principle Eric Eschen wants to do everything he can to keep tabs on students like Caydden.

"He's a very positive student, very giving, a very good friend," Eschen says. He points to a recent time when Caydden approached him to alert him that another student was making a mess with mustard in the bathroom. He took it as a sign that Caydden cares about the community and the school. For homeless kids, sometimes school can be a place of refuge and consistency in an otherwise hectic and messy world.

Eschen keeps an eye Caydden because, like a lot of students in his situation, he struggled with absences last year.

"That really affected him and affected his progress, so we've got some catch up to do this year," Eschen says.

At the end of the school day, it's another hour-and-a-half bus ride before Caydden meets his grandma on the steps of the homeless shelter. They wait outside for Caydden's brother to arrive on another bus. Meanwhile, Caydden checks in with Cantrell about the week's schedule.

"Grandma, on Friday are you just going to go in and wait for me and Keston?" he says. "Cause, you've got laundry."

"Yeah, I probably will," Cantrell says. She has to keep Caydden apprised of her comings and goings at the shelter so he won't worry.

Growing up fast

Caydden has had to grow up faster than your typical 14-year-old. With his dad out of the picture and his mom's drug addiction, he often had to be responsible for his little brother.

"Help get him ready for school, I had to make sure mom wasn't ... gone," Caydden says. "I had to feed Keston when mom was passed out for days. There was one time when we only had cereal for, like, two weeks."

Caydden has been trying to convince his grandma that she should let him get a job so he can help with rent. He'd like to earn money at a fast food restaurant, or, at the least, raking leaves and shoveling snow.

"It's like something I want to do," Caydden says. "I just want to help out."

But Cantrell, aware that her grandson has already been through more than most teenagers, won't have it.

"You are not getting a job. You need to be a child as long as possible, Caydden," she says, patting his knee. "You don't want to be in a big hurry to grow up, honey."

Caydden at his new home. He says he feels much more comfortable and safe there.
Amanda Preacher/Boise State Public Radio

'This is home!'

A few weeks later, there's good news in Caydden's world — they found a house. It's about 700 square feet that they share with another woman from the shelter. Caydden sleeps in the basement, in a tiny room with concrete walls and a small window. Cantrell and Keston sleep on inflatable mattresses in the living room.

"It's not the greatest, but it's not the worst," Cantrell says. She's been working on sprucing up the place. She plans to brighten up the living room with fresh paint.

But for Caydden, it's a huge improvement.

"I feel much more comfortable, and safe," he says. He loves that the house is near Boise State University and has a weed-filled back yard that backs up to an alley. On football game days, he figured out that he can sell parking spots in the yard to game-goers.

"Last weekend we made 90 bucks!" Caydden says. He's scheming about trying to sell sodas on game day, too.

But probably most importantly, he can claim something he hasn't been able to for quite some time:

"This is home!" he says, smiling.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
⛺ Homeless America
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2018, 01:53:22 AM »
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/homeless-america/

Oct 08, 2018
TD originals
Homeless America

Mr. Fish / Truthdig

PORTLAND, Ore.—It is 8 a.m. I am in the small offices of Street Roots, a weekly newspaper that prints 10,000 copies per edition. Those who sell the newspaper on the streets—all of them victims of extreme poverty and half of them homeless—have gathered before heading out with their bundles to spend hours in the cold and rain.

“There is foot care on Mondays starting at 8 a.m. with the nurses,” Cole Merkel, the director of the vendor program, shouts above the chatter. “If you need to get your feet taken care of, come in for the nurses’ foot care. Just a really quick shout-out and thank you to Leo and Nettie Johnson, who called up to City Hall this week to testify about the criminalization of homelessness to City Council and the mayor. Super awesome.”

The men and women, most middle-aged or elderly, sit on folding chairs that hug the walls. They are wrapped in layers of worn and tattered clothing. Some cradle small dogs. Others cup their hands around disposable coffee cups and take small sips. The weekly newspaper was founded in 1998. It focuses on issues surrounding social and environmental justice as well as homelessness. It also reprints poems and artwork by the 180 vendors, who buy the paper for 25 cents a copy and sell it for a dollar.

On the walls there are poignant reminders of the lives these people lead, including posters of missing men and women, notices about where to find free food or clothing, and scattered one-page obituaries of those who died recently, many discovered in parks or on sidewalks. The average age at death for a man is 51 and for a woman 43. Nearly half succumb to alcohol or drugs, 28 percent are hit by vehicles and 9 percent commit suicide. Life expectancy plummets once you become homeless. From 50 to 80 homeless people die on the streets of Portland every year, and many more in its hospitals.

“Monica needs a kidney,” reads one handwritten sign.

“Missing: Robert Gary Maricelli, not seen since Feb. 10, 11:00 pm,” reads another. Maricelli, 22, was last sighted near the Steel Bridge in Portland.

These men and women, and increasingly children, are the collateral damage of the corporate state, their dignity and lives destroyed by the massive transference of wealth upward, deindustrialization and the slashing of federal investment in affordable housing begun during the Reagan administration. The lack of stable jobs that pay a living wage in the gig and temp economy, the collapse of mental health and medical services for the poor, and gentrification are turning America into a living hell for hundreds of thousands of its citizens. And this is just the start.

Though federal estimates put the nation’s homeless number at 554,000, most cities—including Portland, which officially has about 4,000 people without shelter—estimate the homeless, notoriously hard to count, to be at least three times higher. Portland schools, like most public schools throughout the country, are seeing growing homelessness among their students—1,522 children in the Beaverton School District, or 4 percent of the total enrollment, and 1,509 in the Portland Public Schools, or 3 percent of total enrollment. The problem extends to many of Oregon’s smallest towns. In Butte Falls (population 429 in 2010) in Jackson County, there are 56 homeless students, or 30 percent of the district’s total enrollment. Many homeless students, because they often drift from one temporary space to another, never appear in the official statistics.

As we barrel toward another economic collapse, the suffering endured by those on the streets will become ever more familiar, especially with the corporate state intent on further reducing or eliminating social services in the name of austerity. Nothing will halt the downward spiral other than sustained civil disobedience. The two ruling political parties are wedded to an economic system that serves the corporate rich and punishes and criminalizes the poor and the working poor. Over half the country is probably only a few paychecks away from being on the streets.

This gritty section of Portland was once known as Nihonmachi or Japantown. The Street Roots newspaper is housed in the former Chitose Laundry. Across the street is the old Oshu Nippo News, the Japanese-language daily newspaper that was raided by the FBI on Dec. 7, 1941, when Pearl Harbor was attacked. It was shut down and its staff arrested. The neighborhood’s Japanese population was rounded up, stripped of all possessions and placed in concentration camps, part of the 120,000 Japanese-Americans, most from California and the Northwest, who were interned during the war. People who were only one-sixteenth Japanese were arrested. Sixty-two percent of those displaced by the internment order were U.S. citizens. There were no credible reports of them being a security risk. It was a policy grounded in racism.

The Japanese community in Portland never resurrected itself after the war. The past crimes of the state merge, in the eyes of Kaia Sand, the executive director of Street Roots, with the present ones.

“Those families were rendered homeless and incarcerated by order of the federal government,” she says. “Their possessions were reduced to what fit in suitcases. Now, on these same streets, people also carry their bags and their sorrows without a home.”

Charles McPherson, 34, stands looking at the collection of recent obituaries posted on the wall near the front door. He was about 2 when his father died. In his senior year in high school he was taken hostage by an escaped convict and held for 12 hours during a standoff with police. He never went back to school.

“PTSD,” he says of his dropping out of school. “I could not be in crowds.”

He drifted from one short-term job to another. He lived for two years in an RV. He filed countless requests for housing but was turned down. By 2014 he was homeless.

I ask him what he finds hardest about being homeless.

“Not being able to get ahead,” he says. “Just barely keeping from losing everything we’ve got.”

Throughout the day I hear a lot about “losing everything.” Small piles of possessions, along with tents or tarps, precious to the homeless and very hard to procure, are confiscated during police sweeps. The victims find themselves standing in the rain in the middle of the night with nothing. The confiscated possessions are supposed to be stored by two subcontractors, Pacific Patrol Services and Rapid Response Bio Clean, for 30 days, but many on the streets say they never see their belongings again.

Leo Rhodes, 53, a Pima Indian, grew up in poverty on the Gila River Indian reservation south of Phoenix. He joined the Army when he was 19. When he returned from the Army after three years he started abusing drugs and alcohol. He has been homeless, on and off, for 30 years. He has also been one of the most effective advocates for the homeless in Seattle and Portland. He helped found and organize the governance of two tent cities and a rest area in Portland where the homeless can sleep in 12-hour shifts in a safe environment called Right to Dream Too. He keeps notebooks full of his poetry. He divides the world into the “homeless and the non-homeless.”

He hands me one of his poems, published in Street Roots, titled “Being Human?” It reads:

I am the voice you never hear
    If I spoke would you listen?
       I am the ugly duckling
    Visible in your pretty little world
       I am the criminal when I sleep
       I am the nuisance
    Trying to keep dry out of the rain
       I am the homeless person
    Looking for dignity and a safe secure place

“The problem is that when you get a job and they find out you are homeless they fire you,” he says. “It does not matter if you are sober and a hard worker. As soon as your co-workers know you are homeless or formerly homeless they put this stigma on you. They think you are a drunk, a druggie, a criminal or mentally ill and can’t be trusted.”

The stress of living on the streets takes a toll on mental health and often pushes those who already have mental health issues over the edge.

“When you’re outside, any little noise, it is a real threat,” says Dan Newth, an Army veteran who says he tried to commit suicide in January 2015 by overdosing on prescription pills. “I’ve been kicked in the head when I was asleep. I’ve woken up to a beating from people I didn’t know. They’re just doing it because they see a homeless person there on the sidewalk. We try to hide when we sleep, get out of the way. I got my tent, sleeping bag, air mattress, and a pillow. It’s critical. When I don’t sleep for two days, I see things that aren’t there. I hear things that nobody said. And they’re negative. My hallucinations become very negative. Anybody who doesn’t sleep for a number of days is going to hallucinate. When you see someone on the street and they’re going off for no reason, they’re not getting enough sleep. They’ve dealt with so much negativity. It can be a look. Saying hello to somebody and you’re ignored. All this stuff adds up. You blame yourself. Subconsciously, you start hating yourself. Even though you are trying to think, you start blaming things in every direction. You will react to people who aren’t necessarily there to hurt you. But you feel everybody is. It’s overwhelming.”

“You jump all these hoops,” he says of the city’s social services. “And then they exclude you and you don’t know why. They don’t let you get into housing. You never know why. You just get frustrated. Portland needs another MSW [master of social work] like they need another panhandler. The money goes to the salaried people. They keep making their money. And they will use up a homeless person’s energy, jumping through the hoops, going to meetings with this person, going to that meeting, all this stuff. We’re exhausted most of the time. At the end, you’re still homeless. In some ways, MSWs are like vampires. I don’t like the way the system is set up. I avoid it. I sleep outside. I sell Street Roots. I meet my needs the best I can.”

Jasmine Rosado, 39, works periodically as a stripper. She is currently in subsidized housing, where she pays $530 a month for a studio apartment. Her only child, a 24-year-old son, Darius, is in the Army in Syria. She has not seen him in over four years. When she mentions his name her eyes well up.

“It’s been very hard on me,” she admits. “I love him a lot. There’s nothing we can do. He’s in God’s hands.”

She studied music and dance at the University of Oregon and plays the violin and cello. Her instruments are in storage.

“The strip club owners are very tight knit,” she said of her employers. “If they have a problem with a girl, they will call around and you won’t get a job anywhere.”

Art Garcia, 71, sits holding his 5-pound dog on his lap.

“Migo,” he says when I ask the dog’s name. “Like Amigo without the A. It’s a Chihuahua. I’ve had Migo for four years. I got him when he was a little over 9 months old from the shelter. My best friend. This guy has really helped me a lot. I have anxiety disorder. Around a lot of people I can’t breathe. He calms me down a lot. He helps a lot. Sometimes he’ll wake me up at night if I have an attack or something. In my sleep, my breathing changes.”

Garcia was raised in an abusive home and later an orphanage. When he graduated from high school in 1966 he joined the Marine Corps and was sent to Vietnam. He was 19. He fought at Da Nang during the Tet Offensive.

“People were dying all around us,” he says. “It was like a movie. Getting blown up. Killed our own man in the bathroom who was hiding in there. We didn’t know who it was. The lieutenant yelled, ‘If you’re an American come out.’ He was scared. He took his chances and hid in there. We just leveled it. Shot. Killed our own man.”

“I was as scared as I’d ever been,” he says of the war. “All these people shooting at you. That’s when I started my drug habit. You didn’t know if you were going to live or die. Heroin. At first, I was taking speed. We worked seven days a week. Got no days off. Couldn’t stay awake. Got some liquid speed, the guy said, ‘Here take this, it will keep you awake.’ It got us all wired to stay awake. But then you couldn’t go to sleep. So, I got heroin to go to sleep. But after you use that you get all strung out.”

He returned from the war a heroin addict with no home. He slipped in and out of homelessness and was often in prison. He worked odd jobs in construction. He has been clean for a decade and is on methadone. He self-published two books. The one about the war is called “Sitting on the Edge.” The one about returning home as an addict is called “Falling Off the Edge.”

“I missed 10 Christmases in a row for going to prison,” he says. “Going for three years, getting out for a month, going back. Being out for a couple of weeks, going back. Selling drugs. Robbing people for drugs. All drug-related. I spent a lot of years in there. I was on parole for a lot of years. I went to fire camp in California. During a fire, we’d make $1 an hour. That was really good.”

In 2012 Garcia received a monetary settlement from a class-action lawsuit stemming from the military’s use of Agent Orange, which damaged his heart and mobility. He gave Street Roots a $10,000 check and used the rest of the money to find a place to live and help out relatives.

Rhodes takes me around the city. He laconically remembers being beaten in parks, forced off street corners and wakened in the middle of the night by police and told to move.

“You want to know what it is like to be homeless?” he asks. “Set your alarm clock to go off every two hours, pick up everything around you and walk for a few blocks to find another place to sleep.”

“We used to sleep on that loading dock,” he says, pointing to a warehouse. “Then the owners started turning on the sprinklers at 3 a.m. We got soaked. We would walk the streets in our wet clothes carrying our wet things.”

Rhodes said that even when homeless people find a place to live inside it is often difficult to sever themselves from the community of other homeless people.

“I have voluntarily gone back out on the street a few times,” he says. “I missed my friends, the good times, the bad times. You feel guilty for leaving them behind. And I am a homeless advocate. These are my people.”

He is carrying a child’s umbrella with a wooden handle shaped like a duck’s head. In 2009 he was in the rain trying to sell Street Roots outside a Panera Bread restaurant when a passerby handed it to him. He calls it Ducky.

“It’s like my security blanket,” he says. “Ducky has been everywhere with me, in the heat, the rain, the freezing cold. He’s been with me when the rent-a-cops threw us out of doorways where we were sleeping. I say to Ducky, ‘Don’t worry, one day we will have a place. One day we’ll be inside.’ When you are homeless, when you are abandoned, you need something like Ducky. It is why you will see homeless people with dolls or pets. And it’s why they talk to them. It helps us deal with the negativity, all those in society who shun us.”

Rhodes, affable and articulate, regales me with tales of life on the street, the repeated and exhausting efforts to create small communities and the sudden “sweeps” by the police that shatter them.

“I was in a tent city, it was our second move,” he says. “It was right next to a freeway. Traffic was always going by. People honking their horn even at nighttime. Diesels going by. It took us literally three days to acclimate ourselves to that loud noise. You know who was sleeping there because they all had big puffy eyes. Couldn’t sleep because of the noise. But after three days we started sleeping really well. The next place we went to, it was quiet. The only noise there was just a rooster or crow. Every two hours. When we went to the first place, people said, ‘Man, I can’t sleep here, it’s too noisy.’ Then they settle down. At the next place they said, ‘Man, I can’t sleep here, it’s too quiet. I gotta have some noise!’ ”

He laughs.

In his poem “Excuse Me if I Don’t Cry” he writes:

Excuse me if I don’t cry
    I’m putting on my game face
    The world is big
    And they don’t understand
    So, I will fight till the world understands
    Or till I’m too tired to fight
       Until then
    Excuse me if I don’t cry
    I’m putting on my game face
       Rest in Peace
    My brothers and sisters

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
⛺ Nottingham – steals from the poor – gives to the rich
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2018, 12:28:19 AM »
https://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/nottingham-steals-from-the-poor-gives-to-the-rich/

Nottingham – steals from the poor – gives to the rich
23rd October 2018 / United Kingdom   

Human rights campaigning organisation Liberty has called on Nottingham City Council to abandon plans which will penalise some of the city’s most vulnerable people – and anyone trying to help them.

The organisation responded to a consultation on the council’s proposed Public Space Protection Order (PSPO), which closed on Wednesday 3 October.

The council proposed a package of measures which ignore Home Office guidance by essentially banning homelessness – and then criminalise charitable acts in the city.

As drafted, the PSPO prohibits people from obstructing entrances or exits of buildings and hindering street cleaning operations or the free passage of pedestrians. It also bans asking others for money or other items, even when this is only implied by a person’s conduct. Whatever that means.
Get Briefed, Get Weekly Intelligence Reports - Essential Weekend Reading - Safe Subscribe

The combined effect of these bans would make it near-impossible for homeless people to avoid breaking the law.

The PSPO would also make it a criminal offence to distribute free matter – defined as “any item, material substance, object or thing” – effectively criminalising acts of kindness towards those in need.

If introduced, the PSPO would give police and council officers the power to issue on-the-spot penalties of up to Ł100. If unable to pay, those in breach could face prosecution and a fine of up to Ł1,000. One would have to ask that if a homeless person was unable to afford a Ł100 fine, why ould they suddenly be able to afford a fine ten times that amount.

Lara ten Caten, Lawyer for Liberty, said: “The council’s plans ignore Home Office guidance, inappropriately dismiss poverty as antisocial behaviour and will make it near-impossible for any homeless person to avoid breaking the law. They will punish some of the most vulnerable people in Nottingham, pushing them into the criminal justice system for trying to survive.

“The council may try to argue that their intention is not to criminalise homelessness – but that will be the effect of this PSPO regardless. They should be helping those in need – not outlawing acts of charity in a bid to airbrush their streets. We hope they will rethink these cruel and counter-productive plans.”

Trying to ban poverty

Councils can use PSPOs to ban any activity they consider has a detrimental effect on the lives of those living in an area. Liberty is calling for the power to create PSPOs to be scrapped, arguing that they are far too widely drawn and ripe for misuse and abuse.

In December 2017, the Home Office issued guidance designed to stop councils using PSPOs to target homeless people – but the trend of local authorities doing so has continued throughout 2018.

Nottingham City Council’s proposals could see a homeless person issued with a fine or faced with criminal prosecution simply for being on the street. They could also be penalised if they are given money or food they did not even ask for – and the donor might suffer the same fate.

Liberty believes the draft PSPO if implemented, risks breaching residents’ fundamental rights, protected by the Human Rights Act. The Act requires the council not to behave in a way which would disproportionately affect people’s rights.

One should ask these officials about the worldwide recognition that Nottingham is known for – Robin Hood.  He happens to be a chap who as folklore would have it – robbed from the rich and gave to the poor, in fact, he robbed the very people who are attempting to outlaw being poor, whereas, these officials are doing the opposite.

The irony is lost on them!
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
https://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article222040960.html

Many residents of Paradise – and nearby communities – displaced by the Camp Fire were still camping at the Walmart parking lot in Chico on Tuesday, Nov. 13, 2018.
By Michelle Inez Simon

Camping in the lot is part of Walmart’s culture. That tent city in Chico is something else.

By Dale Kasler

dkasler@sacbee.com

LinkedIn

November 21, 2018 02:26 PM

Updated 8 hours 54 minutes ago

It’s been part of Walmart’s culture for decades: Travelers in recreational vehicles are welcome to stay overnight in the parking lot.

“Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers,” the retailer says on its website. None other than Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas has become something of a Walmart folk hero for his frequent stays in store parking lots with his wife Ginni.

But an entire tent city full of disaster evacuees? That’s put Walmart in an uncomfortable bind.

Early Wednesday, the so-called “Wallywood” tent city that sprung up in Chico after the Camp Fire catastrophe began thinning out, hours after Walmart posted signs asking people to leave. Still, about 50 tents remained in the lot, even as rain began falling.
Premium content for only $0.99

For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.

Some public relations experts said Wednesday the retailer may have had little choice but to get people to leave, in part because of the possibility that someone could get seriously hurt camping in the lot.

“I’d be giving a lot of thought to security because this can potentially get very ugly and you don’t want a situation where the narrative is ‘they were warned but they did nothing,’” said Eric Dezenhall, a public relations crisis consultant in Washington, D.C.

Bob Phibbs, a retailing consultant in New York, said Walmart is smarter to empty the lot now than wait, especially with the kickoff of the holiday shopping season coming Friday.

“It’s only going to get worse by the hour,” he said. He said moving people out, from a public-relations standpoint, would be particularly difficult the closer it gets to Christmas.

But he added “there’s not a clear answer.” And Burt Flickinger III, a retailing consultant, said keeping the lot open to evacuees in spite of the potential negative impact on store sales might be worth the goodwill.

For its part, the company said it wanted people to leave because of public safety issues.

“We continue to be concerned about the health, safety and well-being of the individuals remaining on our property and have been working cooperatively with city, county and state officials and local non-profits to increase capacity at local shelters and help create good temporary housing options,” Walmart spokeswoman Delia Garcia said late Tuesday.

Butte County officials have also tried to clear out the lot, offering rides and gas-station gift cards and opening another shelter, this one in Gridley. But many evacuees have been unwilling to move, saying Gridley is too far from their homes and they’re worried about contracting norovirus, as more than 100 sheltered evacuees have.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-paradise-housing-shortage-20181123-story.html

'Where do people go?': Camp fire makes California's housing crisis worse
By Anna M. Phillips
Nov 24, 2018 | 3:05 PM
| chico, calif.

'Where do people go?': Camp fire makes California's housing crisis worse

Jessica Swisher kisses her 7-month-old daughter, Ryan Busby, surrounded by their belongings at a church shelter in Chico where she is staying with her husband and three other daughters after escaping the Camp fire. (Gina Ferazzi / Los AngelesTimes)

Two weeks after California’s deadliest and most destructive wildfire sent thousands of evacuees fleeing the town of Paradise, “No Vacancy” signs have become a feature of the landscape here.

Across Butte County — a primarily agricultural area known for its walnut, almond and rice farms — towns are struggling to absorb the roughly 50,000 people displaced by the Camp fire. Through no fault of their own, the evacuees’ arrival has worsened the state’s housing crisis and raised the possibility that they could be evicted from the region again, not by fire but by a scarcity of suitable dwellings.

Hotels and motels from Sacramento to Redding are full. The vacancy rate in the rental market, which hovered around 3% before the fire, has fallen to near zero. Unable to find single-family homes in the area, evacuees have resorted to renting individual bedrooms, buying recreational vehicles and purchasing travel trailers. Others are simply leaving California for other western states with a lower cost of living.

Temporary shelters run by the Red Cross to house wildfire survivors still hold more than 600 people people, many of them elderly and impoverished.

Butte County Housing Authority Executive Director Ed Mayer said that nearly 14,000 homes burned to the ground on Nov. 8, a loss of about 14% of Butte’s housing stock. Before the fire, the county’s homeless population numbered about 2,000. Now, it is expected to grow.

“The real question is where do people go?” Mayer said. “And at first blush, the answer is: probably leaving California, if they can go anywhere. Because there is no availability in California.”

In the immediate aftermath of the fire, many evacuees found shelter and comfort in the homes of relatives and obliging strangers. The North Valley Property Owners Assn. created a website — CampFireHousing.org — where hundreds of people offered their spare bedrooms and guest cottages to people who had lost their homes. Offers of help poured in from across the country.

The housing market is flush with goodwill, but little in the way of permanent solutions.

On the day before the fire broke out, the city of Chico had 243 homes for sale, said Adam Pearce, president of the North Valley group. About a week later, less than a third of them were still on the market. Pearce said that many of those that remain are new construction and are still being built.

The sudden surge in demand has led to bidding wars, with desperate families willing to pay cash sending home prices soaring.

“Some of these buyers, they don’t care if they’re going over asking [price] because they just want a home over their head,” Pearce said. “People are dipping into their retirement accounts in order to purchase property.”

Adding to the difficulty of finding long-term housing for evacuees is the fact that Butte County — like the rest of California — already had fewer homes than it needed before the fire. In Chico and Oroville, more than a third of renters were spending more than half of their income on housing each month.

The shortage has been particularly devastating for people who were struggling to make ends meet before the fire.

After the Camp fire turned her home in Paradise to ash and took everything she had, Leeanne Watts and her family of six people, four dogs and one bearded dragon lizard, found themselves stuck in a hotel in Yuba City.

Although she had recently received a voucher from the federal government’s Section 8 program that would subsidize her rent payments, Watts 41, quickly learned that Butte County landlords wouldn’t even entertain her inquiries. The voucher, which at first seemed like a stroke of unbelievable luck, had become a mark against her as a flood of tenants able to pay higher rents entered the market.

Watts said her hotel stay is being paid for by an attorney representing her in a lawsuit against Pacific Gas & Electric Co., the utility company whose high-voltage line malfunctioned just minutes before the first flames were reported. She can stay until the end of the month, but where she and her family go after that is a source of great anxiety. They have been subsisting on her husband’s and son’s disability payments and are running out of money.

“This has completely ruined our lives,” she said. “I don’t know what we’re going to do. There’s nothing.”

Watts is not alone in her desperation. According to the county’s housing authority, more than 300 Section 8 tenants lost their homes in the fire.

Complaints about landlords drastically raising rents have multiplied.

Though price gouging is illegal and Chico’s city council recently strengthened renter protections, real estate agents and house hunters alike said the practice has become commonplace in the rental market. One of Mayer’s employees at the housing authority who lost her home in the fire looked into renting a four-bedroom house for her family that was listed at $2,100. When she called, the landlord clarified — it was $2,100 per week.

Another unwelcome side effect of the devastation is already making its presence felt. Several evacuees said that real estate speculators have approached them with offers to buy the land under their incinerated homes.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has stepped in to move wildfire evacuees out of shelters and into temporary housing, such as hotels and trailers. Frank Mansell, a spokesman for the agency, said it has offered 3,800 households rental assistance certificates and is putting up 90 families in hotels.

Firefighters and recovery workers are moving into a newly built base camp at the county fairgrounds, Mansell said, part of a effort to free up hotel rooms for evacuees.

Mayer said he has been told to expect a delivery of about 2,000 FEMA trailers, though precisely when they will arrive and where they will be placed is still under discussion. Authorities have cautioned residents who lost their homes against moving trailers onto their properties, many of which are believed to contain toxic ash.

Faced with the loss of their homes and the worsening shortage of affordable housing, some fire evacuees are giving up on California.

Jessica Swisher, 26, and her husband Eric Busby, 38, had moved into the Butte Creek Mobile Home Park about four months before the fire. It had taken them two years to save enough money for a deposit and first month’s rent. When the blaze swept through the park, it caused their barbecue grill’s propane tank to explode and left their daughters’ bunk beds twisted and charred.

While Busby talks about his desire to help rebuild Paradise, the couple and their four young daughters, ages 7 months to 9 years, are preparing to leave. A donation of $5,000 enabled them to buy a deeply discounted and well-used RV. Once its brakes are repaired, they plan to leave the shelter where they have been staying and make their way to Las Vegas, where they have relatives and the hope of steady work.

“There are so many people from Paradise that lost their homes that housing here is just nonexistent,” Swisher said. “I think this could be a clean start for us.”

Many evacuees said they feel paralyzed and are reluctant to make decisions about their future they might regret later.

For 18 years, Genesee Salamon and her husband owned a home in Paradise. Two weeks ago, it burned to the ground with her five dogs inside.

Unable to find a place to rent, the couple recently purchased an RV, buying themselves some time to stay in the area and map out new lives. Salamon is eager to go back to work as a counselor at a Chico charter school. She knows some people are already talking about rebuilding Paradise, but she’s not one of them.

“People are in shock — I’m still in shock — and I’m trying to be mindful of moving slowly and thoughtfully,” she said. “This is just such deep devastation.”
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
⛺ The homelessness crisis deepens across North America
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2018, 02:21:56 AM »
https://www.counterfire.org/articles/analysis/19988-the-homelessness-crisis-deepens-across-north-america

The homelessness crisis deepens across North America

November 21, 2018 Written by John Clarke Published in Analysis

Homeless camp in East Vancouver, September 2017. Photo: Kenny McDonald via Flickr

Homeless camp in East Vancouver, September 2017. Photo: Kenny McDonald via Flickr
Homelessness is spiralling out of control across the US and Canada as laws are enacted to criminalise rough sleepers, reports John Clarke

As an organiser with the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP) in Toronto, I am only too aware of how much worse the homeless crisis has become in this City over the last three years. As a result of community pressure, City Hall issues a daily shelter census. In a whole series of ways, the official process understates the problem but the picture that emerges is, nonetheless, quite dreadful.  In the largest and wealthiest city in Canada, the homeless shelters are bursting at the seams.

For years, the official City policy has called for a maximum occupancy level of 90% to be maintained but the figures that are released make a mockery of this. In fact, homeless people, advocates and service providers know very well that obtaining a bed for the night is massively time consuming and uncertain. One local solicitor even told me that she has clients in one of the Ontario jails who can’t be released because their bail conditions demand they have somewhere to stay and she can’t find available shelter beds for them.

The ‘Monthly Shelter Occupancy’ section of the daily census shows how the crisis has spun out of control since 2016. However, it is necessary to also consider the ‘overnight services’ that are in operation. These were established as ‘winter respite’ facilities but many of them are now being kept open all year round. They are, essentially, a sub-standard back up network that those unable to access the official shelters are forced to turn to. In these places, people often sleep on mats, on the bare floor or even sitting up in chairs. Showers and adequate toilet facilities are often lacking.

OCAP and others have exerted ongoing major pressure to address this crisis. We have protested, occupied city offices, brought mass delegations to shut down meetings of the City Council and forced them to open more space. However, it is clear that our work is taking place in the context of a worsening epidemic of homelessness, in the US and Canada, and that the gains we have made have been insufficient to keep up with the growing problem.
Across the US and Canada

The US states and Canadian provinces, along with the municipal governments within them, have operated for years under a prevailing climate of austerity. However, the process has been extremely uneven and so it is not possible to link the growth of homelessness here to a uniform and clear-cut intensification of an austerity agenda as in the UK.

What seems to have occurred over the last few years, however, is that the accumulating impact of social cutbacks, coupled with upscale urban redevelopment and soaring rental costs, have reached a tipping point that has sent the homeless situation spinning out of control in both the US and Canada.

A look at the major urban centres provides a startling picture of rampant destitution. The number of people forced to turn to the homeless shelters in New York City exceeds 60,000. On the US west coast, the situation is dire. Los Angeles lays claim to ‘the sorriest urban scene anywhere in America’ while San Francisco has produced a homeless crisis that has prompted comparisons to the conditions prevailing in some of the poorest cities on earth. In Vancouver, with a rampant housing crisis but a climate the is exceptionally mild by Canadian standards, the number of homeless people in the City is said to be increasing by 26% every year.

While a liberal discourse on the quest for ‘solutions’ to the homeless crisis is given considerable play, in reality the response of those in power, whether they are overtly reactionary or cultivate progressive pretensions, is focused on criminalising the homeless and driving them from view as much as possible.

Over a hundred US cities have enacted laws that target the activities homeless people must engage in from sleeping outside to brushing their teeth in public. Those running Toronto City Hall would not want to boast of their social cleansing activities yet, in 2016, the City carried out 160 clearances of homeless encampments even as it failed to provide an adequate shelter space that people could access. As the lack of housing options and the austerity attack worsen, with impending economic downturn threatening to compound the problem, it is only to be supposed that, far from improving, the homeless crisis and brutal measures to push the homeless from view will only get worse.
Challenging the homelessness crisis

Writing for Counterfire last year, Kevin Ovenden pointed to Rosa Luxemburg’s powerful response to the tragic death of scores of homeless people in Berlin in 1912. In exposing and challenging this appalling loss of life, Luxemburg insisted that the plight of the homeless must be viewed as an issue of pressing concern to the entire working class movement and not as some apolitical ‘social affairs’ issue. 'Down with the obscene social system that creates such horror!' was her message. Unions, social movements and political parties based on the working class need to take this to heart in the context of the North American homeless crisis of today.

The neoliberal era has created ever greater levels of poverty and growing homelessness is the sharpest expression of this. To allow such conditions to spread and consolidate themselves is to tolerate conditions of despair for a major portion of the working-class population. Defensive struggles that seek to compel city governments to provide basic shelter are vital and necessary but we must go well beyond this.

No serious challenge to the neoliberal order can fail to demand housing for all as a matter of right. The entire movement must vigorously press for the expansion of social housing and challenge profit driven urban redevelopment. The struggle for decent wages and workers’ rights must grow so as to ensure that low waged workers are constantly threatened with the loss of their housing. Social benefits must be raised substantially so that people living on them don’t have to sacrifice an adequate diet in order to pay their rent. The struggle for the right to housing for all has to be a key part of a rejuvenated working-class movement that defends its gains by leaves no one behind.

The People's Assembly Against Austerity are launching a political tour around England called "Britain Is Broken: We can't afford the Tories" on the question of austerity

Help us launch Counterfire Media
Support our Crowdfunder
Donate
Related articles
Grace Blakeley
Grace Blakeley vs the EU - video

12/10/2018
    By Counterfire

Theresa May negotiating in Brussels. Photo: Nudge Factory
Brexit as the organic crisis of the British state

12/08/2018
    By Sean Ledwith

Photo: Flickr/Abhi Sharma
Counterfire's books of the year - part one

12/07/2018
    By Counterfire

Tenby, Pembrokeshire
West Wales' warning to the Tories

12/07/2018
    By Counterfire

Photo: Pixabay
Austerity Britain is destroying our mental health

12/06/2018
    By Counterfire

John Clarke

John Clarke became an organiser with the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty when it was formed in 1990 and has been involved in mobilising poor communities under attack ever since.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN