AuthorTopic: "The Crises crises." (How shitass journalism has jacked American perspectives)  (Read 2217 times)

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
https://fabiusmaximus.com/2016/05/20/the-crisis-crisis-96745/

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile

Great article, and demonstrates a point I mention all the time. Doom...it ain't new. And journalists pushing it is no different than bloggers doing it. And I've never really thought about a basis for it being someone's urge to pimp fear, but it as good a reason for why people fall for it as any I suppose.I like the phrase "a nation gone cold".

And if this graphic doesn't fit doomers, I don't know what does.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Doctors Without Borders Pulls Out Of World Humanitarian Summit
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 08:34:52 AM »

Great article, and demonstrates a point I mention all the time. Doom...it ain't new.

No, nothing under the sun is new. Except the death of hope. And thanks for your nihilist contributions.

Doctors Without Borders Pulls Out Of World Humanitarian Summit, Says It No Longer Has Hope

BY ADRIENNE MAHSA VARKIANI MAY 5, 2016 11:02 AM

CREDIT: AP PHOTO/NAJIM RAHIM, FILE
An employee of Doctors Without Borders walks inside the charred remains of the organization's hospital after it was hit by a U.S. airstrike in Kunduz, Afghanistan, October 16, 2015.

Doctors Without Borders announced that it will not be participating in the upcoming World Humanitarian Summit, calling it a mere “fig-leaf of good intentions” that will not actually hold states accountable for their failure to address the humanitarian crisis in the world today.

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon previously called on world leaders to attend the first World Humanitarian Summit (WHS), which will be held in Istanbul later this month, in order to send a message to the world that “we will not accept the erosion of humanity which we see in the world today.” The summit aims to help countries, U.N. agencies, and international organizations like Doctors Without Borders prepare and respond to crises.
But news that Doctors Without Borders will not be attending the summit reveals how little faith some international aid organizations have that the summit will bring about true change.

“We no longer have any hope that the WHS will address the weaknesses in humanitarian action and emergency response, particularly in conflict areas or epidemic situations,” Doctors Without Borders announced in a statement on Wednesday. “As shocking violations of international humanitarian law and refugee rights continue on a daily basis, WHS participants will be pressed to a consensus on non-specific, good intentions to ‘uphold norms’ and ‘end needs.’ The summit has become a fig-leaf of good intentions, allowing these systematic violations, by states above all, to be ignored.”

The announcement comes mere days after a Doctors Without Borders-supported hospital in Aleppo, Syria was attacked, killing at least 50 people, including one of the last pediatricians in the city. It also follows recent news that 16 U.S. military personnel involved in the horrific bombing of a Doctors Without Hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan in October 2015 received “disciplinary measures,” but no criminal charges were made. These cases are not new. According to the organization, 75 hospitals managed or supported by Doctors Without Borders were bombed last year.

In its decision to withdraw from the summit, Doctors Without Borders called for greater accountability for these violations of international law, as well as greater attention to the refugee crisis, which the U.N. has said is the largest the world has seen since World War II, with nearly 60 million refugees in the world today.

“Putting states on the same level as non-governmental organisations and U.N. agencies, which have no such powers or obligations, the Summit will minimise the responsibility of states,” noted Doctors Without Borders. “In addition, the non-binding nature of the commitments means that very few actors will sign up to any commitments they haven’t previously committed to.”

On Tuesday, the president of Doctors Without Borders, spoke in front of the U.N. Security Council in New York City, and called for an end to the bombing of hospitals throughout regions of conflict.

“What are individuals in wars today? Expendable commodities, dead or alive,” she said during the speech. “In Afghanistan, the Central African Republic, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Ukraine and Yemen, hospitals are routinely bombed, raided, looted or burned to the ground. Medical personnel are threatened. Patients are shot in their beds. Broad attacks on communities and precise attacks on health facilities are described as mistakes, are denied outright, or are simply met with silence. In reality, they amount to massive, indiscriminate and disproportionate civilian targeting in urban settings, and, in the worst cases, they are acts of terror.”
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Doctors Without Borders Pulls Out Of World Humanitarian Summit
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 10:55:51 AM »

Great article, and demonstrates a point I mention all the time. Doom...it ain't new.

No, nothing under the sun is new. Except the death of hope. And thanks for your nihilist contributions.

Death of hope? Yours? You have hope that Assad will suddenly stop killing his own people, or blowing up aid organizations? And it died because the very idea that any safety in a war zone is just a stupid idea, and they are now forced to recognize it as such?

And this happens to be bothering you today, safely ensconced in suburbia, food in the fridge and 1st Worlder Guilt over your lifestyle versus theirs?

Recognizing war zone realities isn't the death of hope, but it might be real death if someone or some organization is stupid enough to deny the reality of the situation.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
The point of the MSM's crisis crisis is to deflect attention away from the real crisis - the energy crisis that renders impossible the building of new stuff to fix the problems the old stuff is causing.  The path of industrial civilisation is founded on the unwarranted belief in having the energy available to keep doing amazing things - let's go to Mars, let's fly at Mach 7, let's run the world on renewable energy.  Once that belief is destroyed, civilisation as we know it is destroyed, so it is to be avoided at all costs.

For Population read Energy as well:

The State is a body of armed men

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
The point of the MSM's crisis crisis is to deflect attention away from the real crisis - the energy crisis that renders impossible the building of new stuff to fix the problems the old stuff is causing.  The path of industrial civilisation is founded on the unwarranted belief in having the energy available to keep doing amazing things - let's go to Mars, let's fly at Mach 7, let's run the world on renewable energy.  Once that belief is destroyed, civilisation as we know it is destroyed, so it is to be avoided at all costs.

For Population read Energy as well:

We do not have an energy crises.  We have a societal existential and spiritual crises whereby we seem to have no fucking clue what to do with ourselves or the resources we Marshall control over.  So we play chimp like have and have not hierarchal games until the societal balance becomes so precarious the whole thing falls.  But it won't be for lack of energy.  That is a nice and convient technical myth for a situation that is inconviently the result or our daily inactions and inability to shake ourselves from the worthless dead games and pretenses we inhabit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile

We do not have an energy crises.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
We do not have an energy crises.  We have a societal existential and spiritual crises

That's convenient for someone who works in the energy industry - now you can blame it on society as a whole.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Where shitass journalism could take us.
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 12:59:27 PM »
The memes on this page make it a good place to contribute my reactions to The Survivalist.

This film was mentioned a couple of weeks ago which made me watch it.  At that time nobody could really say if it was worth watching or not because nobody here had seen it, but now I have.

It is a good film if you can handle it.  It is a good film, but those who think every frigging minute we have alive on earth should be spent in happy bliss will definitely not think so.  The bottom line; neglecting the opinion of those who are only only half alive anyway, it is a good flick.

It starts out in a way every doomsteader will love.  A red line on a black background begins moving across the screen tracing a graph.  A label identifies it as population after a couple moments of climb.  A horizontal scale at the top of the screen ticks off time as it moves forward.  Suddenly the red line is crossed by a blue line which shoots out of the bottom of the screen to trace out oil consumption.  It crosses the red line but later on its familiar bell shaped curve falls and it again crosses the population curve which is still rising.

Doomsteaders will like the intro because of our familiarity with these curves so we get to wonder what is going on before the movie even starts.  Why does population continue to climb for a significant time after oil has crashed?  What does that mean?  The oil curve actually crashed to zero and did not become asymptotic.  What does that mean?

Later the inevitable happens.  The red line crashes and falls faster than the blue line did.  It starts out a bit slow but it becomes very steep but like many cliffs before ground level is reached the steepness becomes sloping as if a rubble pile at the bottom of the cliff were being traced.  Then the rate of fall becomes only a gentle sloping down line. 

This is where the movie starts and while non-Doomsteaders will be wondering about what they just saw we already know that the Seneca cliff has been passed and that only about 1% of the peak population remains alive.  The world is now populated by people who are experienced in ways Jimmy Hendricks did not imagine.  Almost everyone now alive has killed someone else for some reason or another, most reasons relating to survival.  They have all had to do what they have had to do. 

The worst is over but hell on earth remains.  Humanity is at a crossroads.  Will who is left evolve into the Morlocks of H. G. Wells fame or will a slow climb to a civilized society begin with a handful of survivors.  As it did on the barren plains of Italy in the 5th century, 1500 years ago.

The movie now actually starts and I won't give the plot away, it is good, but if you find yourself on a personal farm in the wilderness growing your own food in a few years after collapse I will say this.  Make sure you hoard a trove of spices so when a roving band of cannibals comes to roast you over an open fire you taste good for them.  Display them prominently so you will be a meal to be remembered.

I highly recommend the film.  Perhaps the depiction of what to come is not entirely accurate in the particulars but this movie deals only with things that could actually happen.  It is realistic.  Real science fiction but without any fantasy, and the science, only medieval and appropriate to the time.  Repair parts for solar panels and other high tech survival gizmos are not available.  Amazon has not delivered for years.  They and the drones they once used are long gone.  High tech is durable steel farm tools and none of them are new.  The only electronic devices worthy of being preserved this far into collapse are flashlights of the wind up battery free kind.

The plot springs out of genuine human experience and is not at all contrived.  Shakespeare could have written this plot, it is deep.  That the events in this film could really happen, could make the film haunt you for days.  See this film, you will become more mature as a doomsteader and you will take collapse more seriously for it.

The Surviavalist is the world we want to prevent and the way to prevent it starts now!

The Surviavalist is a tonic and remedy for shitassed journalism.  A dose of reality from some speculative fiction to oppose the faux reality of the contrived media environment we live in.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 01:11:50 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
That's convenient for someone who works in the energy industry - now you can blame it on society as a whole.

Yeah I work in the banking industry yet I can see they are promoting the same BS that got us into the original financial crisis. What is more there is no recognition whatsoever between the relationship of money and debt. In banking land all is well and we are better off today because we are more ethical about the banking we do! sarc

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Where shitass journalism could take us.
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 01:56:18 PM »
The memes on this page make it a good place to contribute my reactions to The Survivalist.

This film was mentioned a couple of weeks ago which made me watch it.  At that time nobody could really say if it was worth watching or not because nobody here had seen it, but now I have.

Thanks for the reminder. When someone posted te trailer and watched it, read some reviews, and made a mentail note to find it.
Thanks for the review.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
I watched it today on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24biC5Itq4A - very poor quality upload.

It was grim.  Nobody smiled at all, ever.  They were either in a zombie-like trance or terrified.  This was so unlike humans that I kept thinking the plot would eventually explain this, but it didn't.  Even Apocalypto had some lighter moments in it.

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
More on 'The Survivalist'
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 01:49:24 PM »
I watched it today on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24biC5Itq4A - very poor quality upload.

It was grim.  Nobody smiled at all, ever.  They were either in a zombie-like trance or terrified.  This was so unlike humans that I kept thinking the plot would eventually explain this, but it didn't.  Even Apocalypto had some lighter moments in it.

Yes the characters were not like people we generally encounter in our placid lives of comfort.  There is a lack of dialog because the director was trying to capture the silence of collapse.  Our lives are filled with noise but a forest empty of humans or populated by humans without advanced technology is a quiet place.  The directors attempt at realism was lost on you.

At this point in collapse nice emotional happy people which you wanted to see have all been killed and some consumed.  The survivors are a small percentage of our current population and selection for the traits which enable one to survive in a distopian nightmare has happened.  Not all personality types have made it through.  The yeast people you crave are all dead.  They could only live in comfort.

Part of appreciating the plot was to apprehend that the mother and daughter have played the game the mother wanted to play before.  They had not skipped the previous six years of post Seneca Cliff collapse in an underground bunker.  We can be sure of that.  What caught the mother off guard was that her daughter was developing the normal human emotions you wanted to see.  Emotions that are dangerous to the practical matters of surviving collapse.  That and a bit of youthful rebellion and the rebirth of love.  As I said Shakespeare could have written the plot.  And when it comes down to it the daughter made the choice that would be in her best interest anyway.  She has a mothers reason to do so.  Matters of the heart and the cold calculating personality of the survival meme converged leaving you to wonder how their future might unfold.

Not everyone likes Shakespere and everybody understands this film is not for everyone.  That I am one who appreciates it is obvious.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:03:28 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Everyone bar one ends up dead by gunshot, crossbow or knife.  The pathetic attempts at gardening are stolen in the night. It seems the population living in the forest was still undergoing dramatic decline.  The heavily-defended fenced farm at the end had been shunned - why?

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Even more on 'The survivalist'
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 12:41:23 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it.  Everyone bar one ends up dead by gunshot, crossbow or knife.  The pathetic attempts at gardening are stolen in the night. It seems the population living in the forest was still undergoing dramatic decline.  The heavily-defended fenced farm at the end had been shunned - why?

"Everyone bar one ends up dead by gunshot, crossbow or knife."

You forgot about the bear trap.

I suspect the farm was backbreaking work and members sign up to be slaves.  Under the circumstances that seems like a good deal but we don't know the details and the risk/reward trade-offs.  Backbreaking work for a single scanty meal a day probably, that is all; but she was watching the young mother through the fence.  Who was surviving!

"
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more
No, I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more
Well, I wake in the morning
Fold my hands and pray for rain
I got a head full of ideas
That are drivin' me insane
It's a shame the way she makes me scrub the floor
I ain't gonna work on Maggie's farm no more

"

Perhaps too the farm is newly organized.  I took it to be equivalent to the monasteries of the dark ages.  Severe demands on behaviour but places where one could escape hunger that never ends.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 12:48:10 AM by K-Dog »