AuthorTopic: Island nation of Kiribati plans mass relocation due to climate change  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/08/island-nation-of-kiribati-plans-mass-relocation-due-to-climate-change/#.T1jcHXks97Y.facebook

Rising sea levels created by the melting of Earth’s polar ice caps and glaciers pose such a threat to the low-lying Pacific island nation of Kiribati that its leader said this week they were in talks to purchase land in neighboring Fiji for a mass relocation of its citizens.

Kiribati President Anote Tong said that they were specifically eyeing land on the neighboring nation’s second largest island, Vanua Levu, according to published reports. Tong added that the mass migration was “our last resort” after a number of its tropical atolls vanished beneath the waves. None of the nation’s islands sit higher than two meters above sea level.

The nation has about 102,000 citizens spanning about 32 atolls across a size of the Pacific roughly equivalent to the continental United States, according to the U.S. State Department. One of the nation’s islands was the key site of a World War II battle that saw some of the bloodiest fighting of the war.

Many there are currently participating in emergency migrant education programs to make them more attractive to other nearby countries, like Australia and New Zealand, Tong said.

He added that the nation would not send all of its citizens away at once, noting that a small selection of skilled workers will migrate to Fiji first to carve out a niche for their countrymen. That way, once the real migration begins, they will not all be seen as second-class citizens.

“They need to find employment, not as refugees but as immigrant people with skills to offer, people who have a place in the community, people who will not be seen as second-class citizens,” he said during a recent state television broadcast. “What we need is the international community to come up with an urgent funding package to deal with that ambition, and the needs of countries like Kiribati.”

“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Island nation of Kiribati plans mass relocation due to climate change
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:39 PM »
I read somewhere else that they had considered building a floating platform to live on. Reminded me of the city in Waterworld.

Other designers are working on this idea as well. As an architect, I have to say this is pretty innovative although I'd hate to be on it during a rouge wave, hurricane or in the path of a tsunami!

Link to the 'swimming city': http://inhabitat.com/the-swimming-city-a-water-world-for-future-generations/

http://inhabitat.com/the-swimming-city-a-water-world-for-future-generations/

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:02:19 PM »
Rising sea levels created by the melting of Earth’s polar ice caps and glaciers pose such a threat to the low-lying Pacific island nation of Kiribati that its leader said this week they were in talks to purchase land in neighboring Fiji for a mass relocation of its citizens.

What I wanna know is where the Japanese are going to Relocate to?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 06:33:31 AM »
The Japanese have soiled the nest and there's no where to go. There are 35 MILLION people living in the Tokyo metropolitan area. The logistics make it impossible to move them.

How would you house everyone, feed them, provide medical care, sanitation, drinking water....

It's a horrible thing to say, but it looks to me like generations of Japanese will be dying of cancer in the dark. :-\

There are over 100 nuclear plants here in the US. Even if we turn all of ours off, we can still get a nasty dose from accidents in Japan, Korea, and China. It's insane.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 06:44:03 AM »
A frightening thought regarding the implications. Couple widespread depopulation to the deflation and financial weakening that Japan has endured over the last decade, and you have to wonder when the Chinese will return the social call the Japanese paid them in the 1930s.

I read somewhere, perhaps Washington's Blog, that many of the US reactors have the same design flaws as those of Fukushima is deeply troublesome. Safety aside, the arrogance implicit in thinking we can keep radioactive waste safely contained for a period of time longer than all of recorded human history just astounds . . .

As someone else observed, come the effects of global warming, et al, "the earth will get along just fine. It's human beings that will suffer the consequences."
“The old world is dying, and the New World struggles to be born: now is the time of monsters.”

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 06:49:49 AM »
"when the Chinese will return the social call the Japanese paid them in the 1930s."

LMAO  ;D

Gee Martha, I hope they bring those little dumplings I like so much.

This is where the Seneca Cliff thing makes perfect sense. We're not going down Greer style -  the whole mess of industrial civilization is going to go down in one big Titanic sinking, asteroid smashing, flood of biblical proportions.

Is it too early for a drink? The in-laws will be here for the weekend in like, 3 hours.....

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:13:28 AM »
It's past five o'clock in Kiribati...

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 12:09:34 PM »
"It's past five o'clock in Kiribati..."

Well played, Surly.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 02:07:02 PM »
There may only be a couple of us wandering around in this grand hotel that Peter and RE built, but we sure as hell amuse ourselves!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »
According to the site stats we aren't alone.  We're infested with cockroaches.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »
What do you mean? Lurkers? Poppers-in to read? I assume you mean they live behind the refrigerator.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »
What do you mean? Lurkers? Poppers-in to read? I assume you mean they live behind the refrigerator.

LURKERS!!!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »
Lurkoids and lurkettes. I look at them as acolytes. Members-in-becoming.

Oh, I almost forgot, we're a dooooooooooooom board!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 10:51:37 PM »
Lurkoids and lurkettes. I look at them as acolytes. Members-in-becoming.

Oh, I almost forgot, we're a dooooooooooooom board!

Perhaps so, but until they evolve out from Periplaneta Americana, Blatella Germanica and Blatella Asahinai and start conversing with the Homo Sapiens Sapiens on this board, they just remain little creatures scurrying around in dark places.

Also, insofar as our Status as a Doom Board goes, yes mostly we are Full Doomers here and Doom Lite is not a real popular opinion amongst the Mods here.  However I'm not sure how many of us are Uber Doomers convinced this is an Extinction Level Event (ELE).

I think I will put up a Poll to see how many of the Homo Sapiens and how many of the Cockroaches fit these main 3 Categories of Doomerism. :-)

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 06:19:27 AM »
Speaking strictly for myself, I waiver from 'Doom-lite' to full blown 'We're Screwed.' Timing is the question so I'm constantly seeking out updates from folks such as:

Steve Ludlum's 'Economic Undertow': http://www.economic-undertow.com/

Gail Tverberg's 'Our Finite World': http://ourfiniteworld.com/

Dmitry Orlov's 'ClubOrlov': http://cluborlov.blogspot.com/

N. Foss and R. Ilargi Meijer over at 'The Automatic Earth': http://theautomaticearth.org/

J.M. Greer at 'The Archdruid Report': http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/

Chris Martenson: http://www.chrismartenson.com/

I would like to encourage everyone, Lurkers and visitors alike, to post here. I think this place has a little something to offer everyone, especially if they are willing to contribute.

Jb