AuthorTopic: Moistening of Upper Troposphere+ Dimming Loss = 23C in months/years  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Theta

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Newest Nature Bats Last article by Guy McPherson indicates that we will jump right up to 23C with the measley two warming mechanisms of moistening of the upper troposphere and global dimming loss (oh cute brits, look how you fucked yourself now you shitbirds).

Guess what, Guy doesn't talk about other feedbacks, so when they are included, I bet you'll get a jump WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up to 100 to fucking 400C by 2017 or 2018 as the traders fuck themselves to death from the Brexit and the whole economy collapses.

Happy weekend...

Article in question: http://guymcpherson.com/2016/06/a-town-hall-discussion-in-chico-california-part-iii/

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
Re: Moistening of Upper Troposphere+ Dimming Loss = 23C in months/years
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 09:58:08 AM »
Newest Nature Bats Last article by Guy McPherson indicates that we will jump right up to 23C with the measley two warming mechanisms of moistening of the upper troposphere and global dimming loss (oh cute brits, look how you fucked yourself now you shitbirds).

Guess what, Guy doesn't talk about other feedbacks, so when they are included, I bet you'll get a jump WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up to 100 to fucking 400C by 2017 or 2018 as the traders fuck themselves to death from the Brexit and the whole economy collapses.

Happy weekend...

Article in question: http://guymcpherson.com/2016/06/a-town-hall-discussion-in-chico-california-part-iii/

I applaud Guy's efforts to educate everyone about Arctic methane and sparking off the concept of feedback loops in the mind of the general public.  At least the tiny sliver of the general public who has heard of him.  Taking his findings in with an excessively alarmist attitude may however have a downside.

To survive in the area I live in I need a car.  My thirty six year old diesel car has now reached the end of the line and I need to replace it.  The innards are actually running quite well but the husk is falling apart.  I have had to bungee-cord  the two rear door passenger doors together because the door latch on the drivers side stopped latching.  That is not all.  In a hard rain if floods and only one window still goes up and down.  The paint is faded and white with oxidation.

I'm blending fuel economy with other considerations in my decision making process for a new car.  A contrary consideration is the bigger a car is the safer it is, I consider that also.  If I take the we are doomed and we are all going to die attitude to the extreme as a full on NBL disciple there is nothing to stop me from getting the biggest gas guzzler I can find.  The quest for an excellent life in the short time I have left becomes the most important thing.  We are all going to cook so burn it baby!  Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.  The word consumes oil at the rate a river flows in a spring thaw so put in a straw and suck.

Rather if I take Guy seriously but with a grain of salt that might lead to a more excellent life but a smaller and personally more dangerous car.  Doing more with less then becomes attractive.

What do you think?

or

Of course if I take his interpretation of positive feedback loops to the total extreme I would end it all and have no need of a new car at all but that is moot.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:03:21 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 11:23:55 AM »
It's so cool to be human. I can sit  in my grove of 200 year old pecan trees, watch the butterflies, and breath cool clean air, while realizing at the same time that there is a very real existential threat (thanks Surly) that it will all be gone in just a few years. But I can't grok it, not really. We're just one notch above pigs in our ability to comprehend the universe.

On the trade-off between safety and fuel efficiency in automobiles, I tend  to split the difference. I commute on a very dangerous route, and a full size Benz makes me feel safer. They aren't that big anymore anyway. I'd buy another 2008 E350 in a heartbeat, if I could find one somebody babied and didn't drive much. I think it was an exceptional year for MB, although my car has had minor electrical issues from the cheap wiring. It's a gas car that gets 22 mpg.

The Volt gets 56 or so the way I drive, and it's safer than say ,a Smart Car, but it is very light. I wouldn't want to get into a situation with one of the ubiquitous giant gravel trucks that ply the freeways around here.

My truck, which is a 6 liter behemoth, is the one I'm going to have to replace next. Not even Scott Nearing could farm without a pick-up truck, he even said so himself. Hard to figure out the math on that one, I have an 18 ft flatbed trailer and a 3 yd dump trailer that I got specifically so I could build stuff on the stead. It takes a lot of horses to pull those when they're loaded.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:18:13 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 11:52:15 AM »
As Eddie correctly pointed out in so many words, most humans have some woefully short cause and effect horizons. So, those of us with multi-generational cause and effect horizons can only point to where we are going by what we are doing or failing to do.

Some are better than others at critical thinking. But anybody can grasp the concept that there are some rather negative consequences in store for humanity along our present trajectory.

“But you can't make people listen. They have to come round in their own time, wondering what happened and why the world blew up around them. It can't last.” - Ray Bradbury
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »
McPherson has grown up to the big's with a statement about the possibility
that the heavens may have a part in his C's above baseline FOR EVAH nonsense.

Give it a few years. We won't recognize the place without the pigmen in place any more.

Planets come, planets go.  :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:   :evil4:   :icon_sunny:  :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »

On the trade-off between safety and fuel efficiency in automobiles, I tend  to split the difference. I commute on a very dangerous route, and a full size Benz makes me feel safer. They aren't that big anymore anyway. I'd buy another 2008 E350 in a heartbeat, if I could find one somebody babied and didn't drive much. I think it was an exceptional year for MB, although my car has had minor electrical issues from the cheap wiring. It's a gas car that gets 22 mpg.

I'm going to test drive this one with Ms Dog after a meal at a restaurant next door to this dealership today.  Of course plans could change.

I'd really like a Mercedes B series but I want to know how much MB would charge for a new Battery Pack.  If after-market replacements became available it might not really not be an issue.  There is a place in Seattle that has two used Mercedes electrics going for 22K.  I'd be cruising by Leafs on my way to and from work in one of them.  The same dealer has used Leafs too but I'd be looking at a replacement battery pack pretty quick if I got one of them. That would bring their cost up to the B series which will still be getting an 87 mile rage for several more years and that’s a bit further down the road than a fresh Leaf can do.

Decisions, decisions and now off to that meal.
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.