AuthorTopic: Trust -- Society, Culture, Community...  (Read 2143 times)

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Trust -- Society, Culture, Community...
« on: June 28, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »
If a stranger in a coffee shop approached me, explaining that he or she was an anthropologist, sociologist, social psychologist ... social change activist, or any such thing, and would like to ask me a survey question (and interview me on a topic), if I were not in a hurry be elsewhere I'd have a go at it.

We'd sit down at a table ... and if she asked (pen suspended in air, clipboard in hand), "So, what -- in a single word -- is the most important topic to you with regard to social health and well being in our society today?" ...

I'd pause, have a sip of tea, look into her dazzling blue eyes and say...

"In a single word?"

"Yes"

Without further hesitation I'd say...

"Trust."

"Are you sure?" she may ask.

"Oh, fuck yeah. Without a doubt."

Why?

"It's the glue which holds community together," I'd say.

"Community?"

"Yup. You know, that which makes us members and partners in something larger than our tiny little isolated "selves".

And that's how the conversation might begin.

But it never happens.  Nobody is asking such questions of me in a coffee shop.  Hardly anyone wonders very much, it seems, about such "philosophical" (... anthropological, sociological, etc.) questions. 

"That's the elephant in the room, if you ask me," I'd tell her.  Her eyes would grow bigger as she listened raptly.  We'd order a whole pot of green tea, cancel everything else on our ridiculous daybook calendars and give our afternoon and evening to a question looming big on the horizon which hardly anyone is asking...

"Whatever happened to trust?   And why?"  ... "Why has trust, graphed over time, fallen off a cliff?"  .... "Where the fuck are we and how did we get here?" ... "What has this got to do with 'feedback loops'"?   ... Is there something in the water--, or missing from the water?"

Oh, never mind.  It doesn't matter, does it?

Nobody cares.  Nobody trusts enough to care, do they?

"Do they?"
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:27:06 PM by JRM »
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Trust -- Society, Culture, Community...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 03:07:53 PM »
I'd like to submit the above as a "blog post" in the bloggy section here, thus reversing the usual order of business round here. Whadda ya think, RE? Can I? Can I?
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »
Next time you're queried by a hot girl at Starbucks, let her know you have Modest Mouse tickets and suggest an all night road trip to Austin, where you can camp out on a friend's organic pig farm after the show and meditate and do yoga  and swim naked in the creek.

Girls just want to have fun.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 06:15:06 PM »
Next time you're queried by a hot girl at Starbucks, let her know you have Modest Mouse tickets and suggest an all night road trip to Austin, where you can camp out on a friend's organic pig farm after the show and meditate and do yoga  and swim naked in the creek.

Girls just want to have fun.

Oh, Eddie!  By now I would have thought you'd recognize me as one of those sandal and patchouli wearing hippies who avoids large corporate chains like Starbucks like the plague, or like WalMart or McDonalds.  But, alas, your education is continuing, just like the rest of us!

It is true that I have Modest Mouse tickets in my tweed hippy smoking jacket (leather patches on the elbows, pipe filled with gawd knows what), but it is not a negligible fact that Modest Mouse is playing with a band called "Brand New" (gawd knows how new they are) ... which some people take to be the better band by far.  Don't forget that, hot gals!

But it's TRUE! I do have a friend in Austin who has a river running through it, though he insists upon calling his river a "creek" which we in New Mexico do not recognize as a term in our lexicon because little things are big here (unlike in Texas, where everything is big I'm telling you).  And - gals - I've just been informed that under bright stars and a bright moon we can swim naked in this river and dream Big. Oh, yeah!  ... about the wild milky stars and moon themselves, just now. Just now. Under the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIb6AZdTr-A
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:19:35 PM by JRM »

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 06:26:15 PM »

But it's TRUE! I do have a friend in Austin who has a river running through it, though he insists upon calling his river a "creek" which we in New Mexico do not recognize as a term in our lexicon because little things are big here (unlike in Texas, where everything is big I'm telling you).

TX and NM got no CLUE on what BIG really is.

You want really BIG, you gotta come to ALASKA.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSt0NEESrUA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/JSt0NEESrUA</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 06:32:35 PM »
I'd advise visiting the river before the drought dries it up again. It rained today. The pigs are loving it. (Although they can't get anywhere near the creek.)

You could bring your real partner instead of some girl from the non-corporate fair trade coffee shop. I realize you aren't the Starbucks type. I boycott Starbucks myself for the most part. I grind my own beans. I am the morning coffee brewer at my house. Part of the division of labor.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 06:37:28 PM »
Okay, RE, I'll grant you that Alaska is bigger, though you may have a fair bit of trouble convincing Texans of your "theory".

But it is also MUCH COLDER (most of the time), and while there may be bigger mosquitoes (and vastly more of them!) than in New Mexico (which isn't as new as some may think)... we in the land of sour milk and darkened honey (New Mexico) know in our heart of hearts that ours is a better place to live, a dismal paradise with rocks which slide happily under our feet like shards of Earth's very own glorious, flaking, ever shedding skin!   

In New Mexico what we have is some of the very best of Alaska coupled with some of the very best of Texas with some of the very worst of each left out of the mix. Not a paradise at all, of course. In fact, don't move here!  Remember, it's dry! Not much water.  Go to Alaska. You don't need to own a freezer there.  Just put your stuff in the wooden crate in the back yard.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 06:42:08 PM »
I'd advise visiting the river before the drought dries it up again. It rained today. The pigs are loving it. (Although they can't get anywhere near the creek.)

You could bring your real partner instead of some girl from the non-corporate fair trade coffee shop. I realize you aren't the Starbucks type. I boycott Starbucks myself for the most part. I grind my own beans. I am the morning coffee brewer at my house. Part of the division of labor.

Luckily for me, my "real partner" of many, many years (a man) would not be afeared if I did bring my shiny new girlfriend from the non-corporate, fair trade coffee shop!  That's why I count myself one of the luckiest tweed smoking-jacket wearing pseudo hippy quasi-intellectuals in the Land of Enchantment.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 06:52:42 PM »
Okay, RE, I'll grant you that Alaska is bigger, though you may have a fair bit of trouble convincing Texans of your "theory".

But it is also MUCH COLDER (most of the time), and while there may be bigger mosquitoes (and vastly more of them!) than in New Mexico (which isn't as new as some may think)... we in the land of sour milk and darkened honey (New Mexico) know in our heart of hearts that ours is a better place to live, a dismal paradise with rocks which slide happily under our feet like shards of Earth's very own glorious, flaking, ever shedding skin!   

In New Mexico what we have is some of the very best of Alaska coupled with some of the very best of Texas with some of the very worst of each left out of the mix. Not a paradise at all, of course. In fact, don't move here!  Remember, it's dry! Not much water.  Go to Alaska. You don't need to own a freezer there.  Just put your stuff in the wooden crate in the back yard.

If you are a person who has a problem with cold weather, Alaska does (or at least used to) have this problem far as quality of life goes.

I do not have this problem.  I LOVE the cold!  You can always prep for cold, you just LAYER UP!  I got gear I can stay outside in 30 below no problem, but really this doesn't happen that often in my neighborhood (and less often every winter).  You CANNOT fix your personal temperature regulation when you get much above 100F, short of A/C anyhow.

I am so acclimated to cold weather that 32F, FREEZING temp for water is shorts and shirtsleeves weather for me.  Really, cold simply doesn't bother me at all.  I will ride my scooter right down to -5 or so.  Well, that is as low as I have gone so far anyhow.  You do need a balaclava for this or you will freeze your nose inside a mile at 15mph.  lol.

Hot, humid weather on the other hand simply KILLS me.  I feel like a stinky damp wet rag all the time.  I fucking sweat like a PIG!  Temp gets over about 75 or so with any humidity and my pores SQUIRT water like a water cannon at a Frog Protest in Paris.  I hate that shit.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 07:15:44 PM »
I think several of us here are reincarnations of Mark Twain. 

Tell me it ain't so!

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 03:58:47 PM »
I'm a little surprised this thread didn't catch on. 

But perhaps I should not be, as "an elephant in the room" is that which looms large and yet doesn't get talked about.