AuthorTopic: Giant Meteor 2016  (Read 1958 times)

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Giant Meteor 2016
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:35:16 PM »
Some guy named Giant Meteor is running for president of the United States this very year, and has a surprisingly large following.  His very numerous supporters have put out tons of bumper stickers and t-shirts and stuff like that, but I can't seem to find any YouTube videos of his speeches. And where's his campaign website?  Very strange, indeed.  Hmm....
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Meteor 2016
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:48:54 PM »
Some guy named Giant Meteor is running for president of the United States this very year, and has a surprisingly large following.  His very numerous supporters have put out tons of bumper stickers and t-shirts and stuff like that, but I can't seem to find any YouTube videos of his speeches. And where's his campaign website?  Very strange, indeed.  Hmm....

A Giant Meteor would definitely solve a lot of Global Probems quite rapidly.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 08:57:43 PM »
It's a scam to get lots of people to search "giant meteor" and read articles about the threat of giant meteors, which DO happen, but only every few million years.
The State is a body of armed men

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 09:27:18 PM »

Total scam, this is all about selling T-Shirts nothing more.  The ad I lifted this image from had:

Date first available at Amazon.com: September 1, 2015

I suspect that would have been soon after the shipping container hit a west cost port.  Another annoying marketing stab from China. 

Go for Cthulhu instead; that's American.  Sort of.

Cthulhu for President. Why vote for a lesser evil?
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 09:42:56 PM »

Total scam, this is all about selling T-Shirts nothing more.

I don't see this as a scam at all.  It represents the zeitgeist.  People are so so upset at the way things are going they just wish it all to END!

Great T-Shirt idea!  Wish I thought of it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:42:45 PM »
You should print up some T-shirts and run for President as "Collapse".  If the suckers want a T-shirt, you win!  If they look up collapse articles, you win!   :icon_sunny:
The State is a body of armed men

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 10:55:34 PM »
You should print up some T-shirts and run for President as "Collapse".  If the suckers want a T-shirt, you win!  If they look up collapse articles, you win!   :icon_sunny:

I do NOT wish to be POTUS!  I think Surly would be the better choice, or maybe Eddie.

I am running for Chief Justice and Lord High Executioner of the SCOTUS.

You put me in charge of adjudicating the High Crimes & Misdemeanors, and I GUARANTEE you that we will have a more honest Bankstering System, because every fucking DISHONEST Bankster would be fucking DEAD.  Slowly and Painfully, it might take some time, but I will get the job done in the bye and bye.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 12:18:27 AM »

Total scam, this is all about selling T-Shirts nothing more.

I don't see this as a scam at all.  It represents the zeitgeist.  People are so so upset at the way things are going they just wish it all to END!

Great T-Shirt idea!  Wish I thought of it.

RE

Yeah, scam is not the right word.  If people find it amusing and need a T-Shirt they should enjoy one.  I picked that word because of the endless junk that that gets pushed at us.  It can get overwhelming but 'scam' does not fit well since there is no real dishonesty, yet from the point of view that there is actually no person named 'Giant Meteor' it is a scam.  That a person with that name was assumed to exist in this thread made my choice somewhat appropriate and that would have been clear with a quote.

I suppose I wish I had thought of it too if the shirts sell.  If they don't sell I'm glad I didn't.   The shirts do express the fact that the choices we have for PONTUS (excepting one) are no better than a meteorite doing us in would be.  That sentiment rhymes well, but whoever had this idea had the notion for the shirts before they ever knew how ridiculous our choices would actually be.  It hits the Zeitgeist by chance and so it is really all about selling T-Shirts.  Which is not a bad thing.

Should we send one to Guy McPherson?
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 02:09:57 AM »

I do NOT wish to be POTUS!  I think Surly would be the better choice, or maybe Eddie.

Oh Eddie, for sure, for reasons of temperament alone. I have no ambitions for any portfolio beyond that of Minister of Dark Humor.

I am running for Chief Justice and Lord High Executioner of the SCOTUS.

You put me in charge of adjudicating the High Crimes & Misdemeanors, and I GUARANTEE you that we will have a more honest Bankstering System, because every fucking DISHONEST Bankster would be fucking DEAD.  Slowly and Painfully, it might take some time, but I will get the job done in the bye and bye.  :icon_sunny:

RE

Your long-time ambitions are duly noted:
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 07:01:48 AM »
That a person with that name [Giant Meteor]  was assumed to exist in this thread made my choice somewhat appropriate and that would have been clear with a quote.

C'mon boys, you must know I was pretending naiveté?

The Giant Meteor meme came about as a result of a certain political poll which really was taken, in which ... well, here it is.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=political%20poll%20giant%20meteor

This makes Giant Meteor a real contender!
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline K-Dog

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 08:11:39 AM »

C'mon boys, you must know I was pretending naiveté?

I was suspecting as much, yes but only suspecting.  Be careful with that kind of pretending.  It is easy to be taken seriously when you pretend naiveté.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2016, 08:19:52 AM »
Hang on to as much naivete as you can. When it's gone, it's gone. Cynicism is an ugly replacement. Look at me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 08:23:37 AM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.