AuthorTopic: PREP STORAGE DISASTER!  (Read 493 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
PREP STORAGE DISASTER!
« on: July 21, 2016, 03:23:13 PM »
I just noticed one of my boxes  full of books and CDs was stained about halfway up, looking soaked with oil.  Then I started slipping on the linoleum of the kitchen floor.  There was Oil everywhere!

It turns out this box was next to a stack of 3 plastic containers full of food preps.  In the bottom one, I had Fats.  Vegetable Oil, Olive Oil, Peanut Butter etc.  Stupidly, on top of this container I stacked two more containers filled with heavy canned goods.

Over time, this squished the bottom container, and then ebventually one of the gallon bottles of vegetable oil ruptured.  Then a crack formed in the bottom of the container and the whole gallon leaked onto the kitchen floor.  ACCCKKKK.

The bottom 3 layers of books are all ruined, they are going to the trash.  On the upside, they did absorb a lot of the oil.  However there is still a huge cleanup ahead here.

When I moved in I told myself that the way I was organizing things was temporary, but most of the preps are just plopped in the boxes where I originally dropped them.  Now I pay the price for this.  Blecchh.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
Re: PREP STORAGE DISASTER!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »
I just noticed one of my boxes  full of books and CDs was stained about halfway up, looking soaked with oil.  Then I started slipping on the linoleum of the kitchen floor.  There was Oil everywhere!

It turns out this box was next to a stack of 3 plastic containers full of food preps.  In the bottom one, I had Fats.  Vegetable Oil, Olive Oil, Peanut Butter etc.  Stupidly, on top of this container I stacked two more containers filled with heavy canned goods.

Over time, this squished the bottom container, and then eventually one of the gallon bottles of vegetable oil ruptured.  Then a crack formed in the bottom of the container and the whole gallon leaked onto the kitchen floor.  ACCCKKKK.

The bottom 3 layers of books are all ruined, they are going to the trash.  On the upside, they did absorb a lot of the oil.  However there is still a huge cleanup ahead here.

When I moved in I told myself that the way I was organizing things was temporary, but most of the preps are just plopped in the boxes where I originally dropped them.  Now I pay the price for this.  Blecchh.

RE

Bummer.  What a lousy break.  :emthdown:

Sorry to hear about your difficulty. :(
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.