AuthorTopic: Nihilism, Misanthropy & Misery Metasticize  (Read 13501 times)

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Nihilism, Misanthropy & Misery Metasticize
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2016, 07:50:53 PM »
I'll happily wait for someone to put a >heart< in the list of emoticons.  Until then, I'll go >heart<.  I treat this thing as a fancy typewriter. It's the best I can do at the moment.  When my office includes smarter people than me, I'll ask each of them to slowly impart their knowledge and wisdom--, just as it should be!  I'm a smart dunce, in other words.  :laugh:
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2016, 08:25:50 PM »
I'll happily wait for someone to put a >heart< in the list of emoticons.  Until then, I'll go >heart<.  I treat this thing as a fancy typewriter. It's the best I can do at the moment.  When my office includes smarter people than me, I'll ask each of them to slowly impart their knowledge and wisdom--, just as it should be!  I'm a smart dunce, in other words.  :laugh:

Sigh.  QUICK TUTORIAL.

It's no different than embedding a picture.  Use the ]img[ button (3rd from left, 2nd row).  Google "beating heart smileys".  Find one you like.  Copy/Paste the pic URL between the img tags.  Wa-La, you are done!. Once you have some practice, it takes about 10 seconds max.

RE

Save As Many As You Can

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
  • You bloody galah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2016, 12:32:58 AM »
Monty Python - The Philosophers Song

Immanuel Kant was a real pissant
Who was very rarely stable
Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar
Who could think you under the table

David Hume could out-consume
Schopenhauer and Hegel
And Wittgenstein was a beery swine
Who was just as sloshed as Schlegel

There's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya
'Bout the raising of the wrist
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed

John Stuart Mill, of his own free will
On half a pint of shandy was particularly ill
Plato, they say, could stick it away
Half a crate of whiskey every day

Aristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottle
Hobbes was fond of his dram
And Rene Descartes was a drunken fart
"I drink, therefore I am"

Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missed
A lovely little thinker
But a bugger when he's pissed. 
;)

From Wiki:
Origins
The Bruces' Philosophy Song is sung by the Bruces, stereotypical "ocker" Australians of the period. The Bruces are kitted out in khakis, slouch hats and a cork hat and are faculty members of the Philosophy Department at the fictional University of Woolamaloo. (N.B. there is no such place as Woolamaloo in Australia but Woolloomooloo is an inner suburb of Sydney. There is no university there, though the real-life University of Sydney is not far away.)
The Bruces themselves first appeared in the Bruces sketch which featured in episode 22 "How to Recognise Different Parts of the Body" of the TV show Monty Python's Flying Circus, first broadcast on the 24th of November 1970. The sketch shows a English academic (played by Terry Jones) coming to a hot and perhaps remote part of Australia and being inducted by the Bruces (Cleese, Chapman, Idle and Palin) into their Philosophy Department, seemingly located in a simple wooden shack. The Bruces are lounging around a wooden table and soon start drinking cans of Foster's Lager.
The song was not part of the TV sketch; it first appeared on the Monty Python's 1973 album Matching Tie and Handkerchief as a coda for the album version of the sketch. The song was subsequently included in most of the Monty Python team's live shows, sometimes as a singalong with musical accompaniment provided by a Jew's harp.

Cheer up RE. You take life too seriously.
No one gets out alive!

JOW

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
  • You bloody galah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2016, 03:04:26 AM »
What we need an imoji for: "Kiss my curly quoit". Now that would be helpful! Save me heaps of writing.

RE: Yes we speak English here in The great Southern Land. I just struggle with merican sometimes.
20 years/ 100 years. Why sweat the fine print sunshine?

I am of the belief we have screwed the planet. That I have in common with NBL as well as a great many DD followers. I am just trying to delay the consequences. May be futile. Keeps me off the streets.
This is how I see the next chapters unfolding:
1st stage: Near term Economic collapse. Global recession followed by depression.
2nd stage: medium term social and societal collapse as the modern oil age comes to an end along with all the mod cons and technologies, governments and public services such as health, defence, police, education etc...
3rd stage: Medium to long term ecological collapse and environmental disaster as run away global warming kicks into top gear with methane over taking CO2 as the culprit. Ice free arctic will be when the penny finally drops for many. All too late for most.

Each stage will wipe out a lot of people and ecco systems. Yes it is not all about us.
Stage 1 and 2 mainly humans effected. May actually slow onset of stage 3.
Stage 3 potentially all humans effected and a lot of other organisms as well. Pretty well the 6th great extinction.

I can honestly say I hope I am wrong. There is no prize for being right on this.

As far as I can tell stage 1 and 2 are already baked into the cake and have started. (I am sure RE agrees on this much!)
Every where I look I see signs of stage 3. Ice melting, coral reefs bleaching, sea rising, hot temperature records, increased fires and more extreme fires, tropical species moving South (in Aus).

Some may give up. I haven't. Not going to no matter how many tell me to. I owe too much to everyone else to give up. Also I cant understand those who tell I have given up because I see what I see. If you see something different, that does not surprise me. Everyone sees things from their own view point.

I should lay off the baby boomers though... Not your fault you all stuffed the planet! Bastards!

Getting too heavy now... I am only an amatuer philosopher... (I'm buggered if I can figure out how you mericans spell though!)
Lets go sing the drinking song again!

JOW

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2016, 05:54:59 AM »
I just discovered that we are lacking a heart emoticon in our Diner emoticon collection.  Would you put one of your people on this, RE?  Thanks.  We need to have a heart around here.

Just use an offsite emoticon library and paste them in.  How do you think AG does it? 

RE

I assumed AG was a sorcerer. 

"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2016, 06:25:44 AM »
What we need an imoji for: "Kiss my curly quoit". Now that would be helpful! Save me heaps of writing.

RE: Yes we speak English here in The great Southern Land. I just struggle with merican sometimes.
20 years/ 100 years. Why sweat the fine print sunshine?

100 years or greater is not in any of our lifetimes.  Further out than that it could come in 1000 or 1,000,000 years, makes no difference.  Extinction is a guarantee, but it only matters to the generation alive when it occurs.

Some may give up. I haven't. Not going to no matter how many tell me to. I owe too much to everyone else to give up. Also I cant understand those who tell I have given up because I see what I see. If you see something different, that does not surprise me. Everyone sees things from their own view point.

If you haven't given up hope, then you don't belong on NBL.  Dr. McStinksion has declared there is NO HOPE, and anyone who has hope is a deluded fool.

I should lay off the baby boomers though... Not your fault you all stuffed the planet! Bastards!

Actually it was the Silent Generation that stuffed the planet.  They built the highways, the automobile plants and laid out the suburban subdivisions in the aftermath of WWII.  Further stuffing the planet are all the millenials requiring Iphones to play Pokemon Go.  Boomers just got trapped in between these two generations of Planet Stuffers.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2016, 06:44:42 AM »
I date planet-fucking back to the beginning of the Industrial Age....or perhaps even back to the creation of the corporations that first began large scale extractive economic activities...like the British East India Company.

It certainly isn't exactly fair to blame it on the Boomers, some of whom were among the first to describe our current predicament and try to change it. But then humans are masters of laying blame and justifying their own behavior.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2016, 06:52:36 AM »
Cheer up RE. You take life too seriously.

You obviously have not listened to my rants if you believe that.

No one gets out alive!

That is true, and has always been true.  Dr. McStinksion doesn't grasp that.  It's  major big deal for him that everybody dies.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2016, 07:02:34 AM »
I date planet-fucking back to the beginning of the Industrial Age....or perhaps even back to the creation of the corporations that first began large scale extractive economic activities...like the British East India Company.

If you really want to be complete about including all the Planet Fuckers, you have to go back to the first large Agricultural Civilizations.  Blame it on the Babylonians.

It certainly isn't exactly fair to blame it on the Boomers, some of whom were among the first to describe our current predicament and try to change it. But then humans are masters of laying blame and justifying their own behavior.

Boomers get blamed because they are still alive, and the younger generations always blame the older ones when things go south.  It's shallow thinking, but young people don't have much experience so they are generally shallow thinkers.

Placing Blame in this case is not hard though, it goes to a class of people that is cross-generational and controls the direction of the society.  THE RICH!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2016, 07:04:24 AM »
Yes, the Rich.

The Rich are not like you and me.LOL.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2016, 07:11:08 AM »
Yes, the Rich.

The Rich are not like you and me.LOL.

True, they have more money than both of us.  In fact they have more money than all the Diners put together pooling their money.  Well, unless Soros is a Lurker anyhow.  lol.

Given my taxonomy of wealth, I should have said "Masters of the Universe", but newbies would not understand the taxonomy.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2016, 07:39:31 AM »
Soros is so old, prepping for him means freeze-drying his DNA and uploading his consciousness to the cloud.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
RE's Taxonomy of Wealth
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »

Given my taxonomy of wealth, I should have said "Masters of the Universe", but newbies would not understand the taxonomy.

RE

This is for Industrialized Countries circa 2016.  Convert to your local currency if not using Dollars.  This is annual income estimate only, net worth is not included.  Number provided is minimum threshold level to be a member of this class.

Desperately Poor: 0$ Income, Homeless
Poor:$20K or less for family of 4
Lower Middle Class: $40K for a Fo4
Middle Class:  $80K for a Fo4
Rich: $160K for a Fo4
Filthy Rich: $1M for a Fo4
Masters of the Universe: $100M for a Fo4

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2016, 01:03:28 PM »

There was a time when I thought the Boomers were to blame.  Then I quit my career and started my own business.  I use more petroleum now than I ever have driving around taking care of landscapes.  I'm directing contributing to the main problem by choice.  I don't have to drive around using small engines all day for money, but I do.  I need money because that's the way our civilization works.  The boomers needed money.  We all have to play the cards we are given, and in this case it means using petroleum because that's the world we live in. 

Like I said before...lots of cognizant dissonance. 

You can still pick your battles.  For instance, I have refused to get the commercial sprayers license.  I have to take a test and get certified to spray glyphosate in SC.  I don't want to spray glyphosate, but it's baked into the suburban sprawl landscape.  WTF weeds growing in the cracks of roads and walkways?  I have managed to weed eat where glyphosate would normally be employed.  It takes more time however.  I'm still resisting that fucking commericial sprayer license...but I have the study material just waiting for me to start studying it. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 01:05:05 PM by luciddreams »

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2016, 09:43:33 PM »
Ranchers here spray glyphosphate on the fence rows, but I won't do it on mine. Never in a million years.