AuthorTopic: Another Shooter  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Another Shooter
« on: July 25, 2016, 04:04:21 AM »
Last night. Not many details. Two dead, 16 or 17 injured in Ft. Myers, FL.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/26/us/fort-myers-club-blu-shooting.html
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Another Shooter
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 04:05:51 AM »
Knarf, you beat me by seconds. Well, hi ho, it's off to work I go.

Offline knarf

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 05:46:54 AM »
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 05:54:56 AM by knarf »
Mark Twain 'There are many humorous things in the world; among them, the white man's notion that he is less savage than the other savages.'

Online JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »
Any updates?  So little seems to be known.  I don't even see speculation on motive.  I guess some suspects were taken in.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 11:01:54 AM »
I haven't seen any news. I only read something that indicated terrorism was not a motive. Beyond that, I don't know. It's surprising that nothing is being said.

The kids who were killed were black. I expect we may find out the shooters were too. Gang-bangers is my guess. (Strictly speculation, but wait and see.)

The MSM will not report that if it turns out to be true. The shooters might not even have their race identified, as if it were incidental or of no importance. Black-on-black violence is not part of the narrative we're supposed to look at.

Online JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 11:06:28 AM »
This seems fishy to me, 'cause the initial reports confirm two dead by something like 19 others injured.  This does not sound like gangbanger activity to me.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:43:01 PM by JRM »
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 11:17:33 AM »
Soon after that, police responded to two other locations that they believe are tied to the shooting: about a half-mile away where a residence and several cars had been shot at, and another location roughly six miles away where they picked up a "person of interest."

Police are investigating two other related scenes, one on Ortiz Avenue, where a person of interest has been detained. The other scene is on Parkway Street, where gunshots hit property and a bullet grazed a person,

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/us/fort-myers-nightclub-shooting/

Ft. Myers made number three on a list of "most ghetto cities in Florida". Just someboby's opinion.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are-the-10-most-ghetto-cities-in-florida/

Sound like gangbangers to me. I'd bet you a Bitcoin, if they weren't so damned expensive.

Offline MattS

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 11:24:29 AM »
Soon after that, police responded to two other locations that they believe are tied to the shooting: about a half-mile away where a residence and several cars had been shot at, and another location roughly six miles away where they picked up a "person of interest."

Police are investigating two other related scenes, one on Ortiz Avenue, where a person of interest has been detained. The other scene is on Parkway Street, where gunshots hit property and a bullet grazed a person,

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/us/fort-myers-nightclub-shooting/

Ft. Myers made number three on a list of "most ghetto cities in Florida". Just someboby's opinion.

https://www.roadsnacks.net/these-are-the-10-most-ghetto-cities-in-florida/

Sound like gangbangers to me. I'd bet you a Bitcoin, if they weren't so damned expensive.

Let's hope people don't realize how effective knives are in the hands of the crazies, pretty soon we'll be arresting school kids the instant they want to eat their pizza with a knife and a fork.

Anyone have a favorite moron who has made the argument that, you know, without semi-auto firearms, we wouldn't have to worry about these mass casualty events?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/world/japan-knife-attack-deaths/index.html

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 11:44:55 AM »
Six housing projects show up on Google Maps within a couple of miles of where they detained the "person of interest". Just sayin'.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »
I just think if the shooters were white, we'd know their names by now.

Voting Democrat is one kind of evil. Voting Republican is another. I wouldn't piss up the ass of either of the current candidates, if their guts were on fire.

Offline MattS

• Contrarian
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 12:31:42 PM »

Voting Democrat is one kind of evil. Voting Republican is another. I wouldn't piss up the ass of either of the current candidates, if their guts were on fire.

My wife appears to be gritting her teeth, and coming around to what she has to do, even if she can't stand him.

I'm hoping someone on Fakebook puts together a credible campaign for a write in candidate.

Offline monsta666

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »

It can work both ways. In England if a person goes missing they are far more likely to be reported in the media if the person is white and comes from a middle-class background. Victims of crime who come from the lower class not so likely to be shown on TV. I am guessing black on black crime does not have the same impact so it won't be shown that is unless the victim happened to be a cop. If the shooter was white then it goes on the news on account it is a potential race crime of white man gunning black kids. That story gets eyeballs/clicks and newspaper selling which is what the media want.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 01:15:24 PM »
I really expect it is ratings driven, rather than being an attempt to slant public opinion. But either way, it has an effect on the public's perception.

Online K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 01:44:33 PM »
Eddie, it is all ratings driven.  Shootings commonly go unreported in every large American city.  If a city has three murders on a given night only one might typically make the 11PM news.  This being so it is hard to say why a particular event did or did not make the news.  Further since coverage is already skewed simply changing the type of story that does get attention can stir up whatever emotional brew or mix of attitudes the media masters want the public to have.  It is a puppet show, the facts may be real but the way they are presented or the way they are ignored sends a message of choice.

One learns the reality of what I am talking about by knowing someone wiho has a job that exposes them to all the potential news.

Ratings or deliberate propaganda.  The distinction between the two is not clear cut since there is always way more tragedy than time to cover all but a small sample of it.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:56:45 PM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 01:53:07 PM »

My wife appears to be gritting her teeth, and coming around to what she has to do, even if she can't stand him.

I'm hoping someone on Fakebook puts together a credible campaign for a write in candidate.

Thanks for the cameo appearance.

Back to the cooler.

RE
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:01:43 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can