AuthorTopic: Airline Collapse In Real Time  (Read 980 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Airline Collapse In Real Time
« on: July 29, 2016, 03:07:25 PM »
You might have noticed that the airlines have had all kinds of problems over the last week or two. Southwest had to cancel hundreds of flights last week due to "software and hardware issues".

I am at the airport now. I was supposed to fly to Chicago yesterday evening on American, but my flight got delayed, then delayed some more, and finally canceled altogether.

I was supposed to fly out today, over two hours ago. When I got to the airport the screen said my flight was delayed a half-hour. Around the time I expected to board, the airline desk agent announced the flight would be delayed for an additional 3.5-4 hours. Now the screen says we are set to board in a few more minutes. I have no idea.

I have been on the line with Expedia, talking to someone whose first language is apparently some Asian dialect, and her English was really hard for me to comprehend. She was no help anyway.

The good news is that I have a copy of JHK's latest novel, and I've read nearly 100 pages. He has developed a new group of characters who reflect his personal resentment with regards to political correctness...some kind of cult whose members are fleece-wearing Massachusetts Green Feminists. It's fuckin' hilarious.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 03:12:22 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Airline Collapse In Real Time
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:12:03 PM »
You might have noticed that the airlines have had all kinds of problems over the last week or two. Southwest had to cancel hundreds of flights last week due to "software and hardware issues".

I am at the airport now. I was supposed to fly to Chicago yesterday evening on American, but my flight got delayed, then delayed some more, and finally canceled altogether.

I was supposed to fly out today, over two hours ago. When I got to the airport the screen said my flight was delayed a half-hour. Around the time I expected to board, the airline desk agent announced the flight would be delayed for an additional 3.5-4 hours. Now the screen says we are set to board in a few more minutes. I have no idea.

You could have Amtraked it to Chicago by now and been Green.  :icon_mrgreen:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:18:23 PM »
It would not have been a bad choice. I decided to check. $172 in coach. $485 with a sleeper. It's a 28 hr trip though.

I haven't taken a real cross-country train trip since I rode from NY to Texas (coach all the way) with my mom in 1960. LOL.

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 05:54:54 PM »
Is this flight delay situation widespread? Or just one airline? Or...? 

Any speculations about cause?
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 08:22:35 AM »
Is this flight delay situation widespread? Or just one airline? Or...? 

Any speculations about cause?

I think the airlines have been in decline for some time. Their business model is deeply flawed. The numbers don't work without heavy government support in the form of tax incentives and various other special considerations.

As a result, they have tried to find various ways to become more efficient, but they are essentially cannibalizing themselves, and customer service has been the first casualty, now followed by widespread problems with delivering the product everywhere and to everyone who wants it, at a low, low fee.

Security is a bottleneck, too.  That's the government, and now they see it costs SO much money to pay for Homeland Security and all these screeners...a whole new bureaucracy. So they try to make that more efficient, and it starts to fray around the edges. If people can't get through the screening process, it throws all the flights late.

With all airlines trying to gain market share, they overextend themselves, sell way more tickets than they have seats, and then try to make it work like a juggler keeping ten balls in the air at the same time. It works until it doesn't and then there is chaos.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 03:56:42 AM »
I am NOT looking forward to my flight down to the Convocation!  :o

RE

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37007908

Delta flights grounded after systems outage

US airline giant Delta has suspended departing flights worldwide after suffering a major system outage.

"Customers should check the status of their flight before heading to the airport while the issue is being addressed," the company tweeted.

It said it was working to resolve the problem as soon as possible. Inbound flights en route are not affected.

Delta ranks third in the world in terms of most passengers carried, according to industry body the IATA.

What caused the outage or how long it will take to resolve has not been released.

One passenger told the BBC he was waiting with "several hundred" fellow stranded passengers at San Francisco airport, after being asked to leave a plane he had already boarded.

"We were ordered off the lane after approximately an hour or more," said Dick Ginkowski.

"Tempers are starting to get just a little bit strained at this point," he added. "They aren't able to rebook anyone on other carriers."

Delta has been responding to unhappy customers on Twitter.
Image copyright Twitter
Image caption A typical exchange between Delta and a social media user

Delta serves about 180 million customers a year, employing over 80,000 people, its website says.

It has its headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia and began in the 1920s as a crop-dusting company.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 04:00:16 AM »
You just can't rely on AI....
It gets stuck on stupid more often than not.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind