AuthorTopic: Aquaponics  (Read 8305 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Aquaponics
« on: March 08, 2012, 03:54:45 PM »
We were talking about the feasibility of doing fish farming as well as hydroponics on the small scale.  Of course, somebody is doing just that.  Ran into this on TAE posted by Glennjeff.

RE

Here are some photos of the aquaponics system we have only just finished installing. BASICALLY, fish in 1000 to 3000 litre tanks are fed, create waste products which are pumped into beds of growing medium (expanded clay), after a few weeks an extensive bacterial colony is established in the growing medium which converts fish excrement into nutrients for plant growth. The pumps are powered from domestic on grid solar power system.

I have 100 silver perch in the large tank and about 30 goldfish in the small tank. Plants are growing surprisingly well, although this system is currently primed with 30% hydroponic solution until the fish get bigger and the bacterial colonies become well established.

Eventually much of the fish food will be created from worm farms and plants that we grow ourselves. Having the growing beds on stands eliminated a lot of ground crawling insect "pests" and is very user friendly for tired and injured backs, 90% automated food production, just feed the fish, put in the seedlings, top up water ftom rainwater tanks occasionally and harvest the food.

Wide angle shots of system

Growing Beds 2 weeks after planting

There is a cucumber in there about 3 days from harvest, this bed has been operating for about 5 weeks.

These lettuces were put in as seedlings and will be usable as food in about a week, thats only 3 weeks growing time!

Small emergency power supply for the rare and brief power outages. Eventually we will convert to offgrid solar and wind power.

Save As Many As You Can

Offline ross

• Global Moderator
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Aquaponics
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
Neat, but I'd dare say you're much safer putting that out of site of any snooping neighbor or nosey drown operator.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 11:01:27 AM »
Neat, but I'd dare say you're much safer putting that out of site of any snooping neighbor or nosey drown operator.

You need your Underground Bunker

Your Micro Nuke Power source

And you can emerge with the Illuminati as Morlocks a few centuries from now and kidnap Weena

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline ross

• Global Moderator
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 11:09:57 AM »
The Plant Chicago has a commercial scale aquaponics rig in their basement. You need UV lights, but it can be done. Think like a dope grower... first, find a place to hide. Then, find a place to thrive.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:31:37 AM »
it seems to me that aquaponics would provide the most self sufficiency and long term sustainability for food production.  Seems the weakest link would be pest infestation, but that could be handled by an indoor situation.  Water circulation could be done pretty easily by just using gravity and maybe some human muscle to move water uphill in buckets.  Light could be the sun with backup LED's in place hooked up to small scale wind, solar, or microhydroelectric. 

I haven't done any research on the topic, just sorta brainstorming.  Seems that the feedstock for the whole thing could be worms to feed the fish.  Worms are pretty easy to keep and thrive.  Interesting...you'd essentially be relying on worms which is not much different from growing in soil. 

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 05:23:30 PM »
Its something Im very interested in, was thinking of using the swimming pool, but changed my mind.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 01:12:52 PM »
what about a system that looks kind of like this.  Say a 100 gallon fish tank, with some fish in it.  Fish that you could feed by cultivating some bugs and worms.  Instead of using a filter to keep the tank clean you could cycle the water through the plants roots.  Wonder if that's been done and if it would work. 

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 03:00:47 PM »
Nice set up.  I'm almost finished with the 400 gal and 100 gal ponds for my aquaponics system.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »
Nice set up.  I'm almost finished with the 400 gal and 100 gal ponds for my aquaponics system.

which set up are you referring to? 

I've got a pond...well actually it's more of a 500 gallon capacity hole that I dug to keep my chickens from floating in water again...long story.

Part of that story is pretty funny however, so I'll tell that part (by the way, about the comedian you referenced wanting in the group...that's me...I love comedy).  After the first Foxstead failure failed to launch, I got pissed about it, cause it was all because of one person...Cat Food Carol.  Anyway, I got home, and a couple of days latter went out to my garden with digging tools and engaged in my favorite therapy.  "Hole Diggin' Therapy," is what I call it.  That's why I dug that pond, cause I was pissed about the foxstead failure, and I didn't want the Eggmahal (my chicken coop) and chicken run turned into a pond again by torrential downpoor.  So I dug this water retention hole that I'm going to turn into a pond once I install an overflow.  Ducks will soon follow. 

I can imagine that two new ducks, living with 15 chickens (with a rooster), is going to be highly entertaining nonstop comedy.

Offline DoomerSupport

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
  • Fiat collapsus rualt caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08:59 PM »
Sorry, was referring to the original photos at the top.

Our swimming pool precludes having ducks yet. Those will have to wait until we relocate, along with the larger livestock the wife wants.  She grew up on a cattle ranch so misses the animals.