AuthorTopic: Homework  (Read 470 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Homework
« on: August 23, 2016, 03:32:13 AM »
CRAP! This was my policy even BEFORE I became a Teacher!  I NEVER did Homework, at least not through High School anyhow.  Thank GOD! I went to schools over the time period that only gave a shit how you did on tests.

When I became a Teacher, I NEVER assigned Homework until I was forced to do it by the Administration.  6 hours in the classroom is not ENOUGH time slaving over long division or the Periodic Table?  You gotta do that at HOME too?

Basically, if you cannot get this shit in 6 hours of a school day, another 3 hours of homework past that is npt going to do jack shit to get it through your skull.  You either get it or you do not.  Waste of everybody's time to do endless homework.

I hated homework bad enough as a kid, I hated it even worse as a teacher.  You gotta grade all that shit!  What a waste of time!

RE

http://www.walb.com/story/32816219/texas-teachers-new-homework-policy-goes-viral-on-social-media

Texas teacher's new homework policy goes viral on social media

By WTOC Staff

(Source: Samantha Gallagher/Facebook)
FORT WORTH, TX -

A teacher in Fort Worth has gone viral after she sent home a note to parents outlining her new homework policy for the year.

In the note, Mrs. Brandy Young says, "After much research this summer, I am trying something new. Homework will only consist of work that your student did not finish during the school day. There will be no formally assigned homework this year."

A picture of the note was put on Facebook by a mother of one of Young's students, Samantha Gallagher, and has since gone viral. As of this writing, the picture has been shared over 60,000 times, and in the comments, Gallagher said she was recieving messages from all over the world, including Japan, Israel, Ireland and Polynesia.

The note ends: "Research has been unable to prove that homework improves student performance. Rather, I ask that you spend your evenings doing things that are proven to correlate with student success. Eat dinner as a family, read together, play outside, and get your
Save As Many As You Can