AuthorTopic: The Surlynewz Channel  (Read 393736 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: The Doomstead Diner Daily 4/20
« Reply #2745 on: April 20, 2017, 02:32:47 PM »

Yea I know.  I did it that way a couple of times in the Global Collapse Issues Newz Aggregation.  I've been lazy with that lately though.  I'm still mulling over buying another Premium Account to drop it on the Blog Newz Page.  :icon_scratch:

RE

BTW, I just wanted to commend you on the quality of the stories you have posted up here today. All of them five-star offerings. All bear careful reading.
Well done.

Thx.  My "Newz Curation" segment of the working day is from 11PM AT to 1AM AK Time.  Then Diner Blog Publication work from 1AM-2AM.  Then 3-4 hours of shut-eye and wake up and do an hour or so of Forum replies and Reddit surfing and poaching.  Afternoons and evenings I spend a couple of hours writing. and catch another nap.

RE

Just FYI, I went back and stripped some of the HTML out of earlier posts. There is something in the code that reacts badly with the Forum, and makes the backgrounds go dark  and pushes the margins-- like what I get when I try to paste HTML from Esquire. Just can't be done.

Little worry that anyone will want to go back to find a story, but the link is there nonetheless.

The more recent ones I've posted seem to be behaving better, with more judicious editing.

Yes, I ran into that problem too.

The auto-conversion from html to bbcode has issues.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Doomstead Diner Daily 4/21
« Reply #2746 on: April 21, 2017, 04:07:21 AM »
The Doomstead Diner Daily 4/21

News digest brought to you by the Doomstead Diner.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:59:23 AM by Surly1 »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
The Doomstead Diner Daily 4/22
« Reply #2747 on: April 22, 2017, 04:10:40 AM »
The Doomstead Diner Daily 4/21

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:03:17 AM by Surly1 »
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Doomstead Diner Daily 4/23
« Reply #2748 on: April 23, 2017, 07:23:13 AM »
Doomstead Diner Daily 4/23
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:03:40 AM by Surly1 »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner

Napping Can Dramatically Increase Learning, Memory, Awareness, And More

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 12:04:37 PM by Surly1 »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: The Surlynewz Channel
« Reply #2751 on: April 25, 2017, 12:13:32 PM »

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 07:32:03 AM by Surly1 »

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile

Napping Can Dramatically Increase Learning, Memory, Awareness, And More

Damn. I hadn't seen John Dean in a while. He's gotten so old I hardly recognized him.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: April 26, 2017, 05:25:29 AM »
I wonder what the misses looks like now.
She was smokin' hot back in the day.
Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face
And stars fill my dream
I’m a traveler of both time and space
To be where I have been
To sit with elders of the gentle race
This world has seldom seen
They talk of days for which they sit and wait
All will be revealed

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: April 26, 2017, 06:02:42 AM »
Ah, yes. Maureen Biner Dean.

Some people maintain that she was a high end (no pun intended) Washington call girl with a lot of secrets, and Dean married her quickly when the Watergate SHTF, in order to protect himself from her potential testimony. She was a hottie, in that New England WASP sort of way.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: April 26, 2017, 07:25:25 AM »

Some people maintain that she was a high end (no pun intended) Washington call girl with a lot of secrets, and Dean married her quickly when the Watergate SHTF, in order to protect himself from her potential testimony. She was a hottie, in that New England WASP sort of way.

Ah yes, I knew I could count on you Ed, for refreshing the cob webs.

She was a "drive it like you stole it" kinda' hostage, for sure .....
Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face
And stars fill my dream
I’m a traveler of both time and space
To be where I have been
To sit with elders of the gentle race
This world has seldom seen
They talk of days for which they sit and wait
All will be revealed

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2757 on: April 26, 2017, 07:45:07 AM »

Ah yes, I knew I could count on you Ed, for refreshing the cob webs.

She was a "drive it like you stole it" kinda' hostage, for sure .....

INdeed.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2758 on: April 26, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »
Add Maureen Dean:

Silent Coup is a book written by Len Colodny and Robert Gettlin, in which they contend that former Nixon White House counsel John Dean orchestrated the 1972 Watergate burglary at Democratic National Committee headquarters to protect his future wife Maureen Biner by removing information linking her to a call-girl ring that worked for the DNC. The first edition was published in 1991, followed quickly by an expanded second edition in January 1992. The authors also argued that Alexander Haig was not Deep Throat, but was a key source for Bob Woodward, who as a Naval officer had briefed Haig at the White House in 1969 and 1970; it was later revealed FBI deputy director Mark Felt, who was confirmed as Deep Throat in 2005, became Woodward's key source after his partner Carl Bernstein was able to locate hush money in Miami, Florida.[1]

The Washington Post described Silent Coup as one of "the most boring conspiracy books ever written," filled with "wild charges and vilifications." The New York Times Book Review attacked Silent Coup's argument that Nixon was "an innocent victim" and said it showed "a stunning ignorance of how the Government under Mr. Nixon operated."

Lawsuits[edit]
Further information: John Dean § Life after Watergate
In 1992 John and Maureen Dean sued G. Gordon Liddy for libel. The case was dismissed without prejudice and was later refiled. In 2001 a federal judge declared a mistrial and dismissed the $5.1 million defamation lawsuit.[2]

The Deans also sued St. Martin's Press, publisher of Silent Coup. St. Martin's settled the case for an undisclosed sum.[2] Len Colodny also settled with John Dean. While both cases involved terms Dean cannot discuss, he has gone on record in the preface to his 2006 book, Conservatives Without Conscience, that he is "pleased" with the outcome.[3]

In 2001, former DNC secretary Ida Wells unsuccessfully sued Liddy in US District Court in Baltimore on the same basis as Dean had, the court declared a mistrial.

The truth, as usual, takes it in the chops.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2759 on: April 26, 2017, 12:27:35 PM »
Yer afternoon paper.

The SurlyZone
A collection of articles and notes of interest to this particular cynical observer.[/b]

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 02:26:31 AM by Surly1 »