PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> The Official Hurricane Watch Thread

AuthorTopic: The Official Hurricane Watch Thread  (Read 6303 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
The Official Hurricane Watch Thread
« on: August 23, 2012, 11:57:24 PM »

Of all my Greatest Calls on Geological and Weather Phenomena, Katrina ranks as my most accurate one.  It occurred before I got my Wake Up call to DOOM from the Bear Stearns collapse also.   It happenned on a Private Yahoo Group, so I can't hand out the Links, but I can Copy/Paste some of my posts prior to Landfall and the aftermath.  I may make that a series in this thread.

Besides that, while on Peak Oil, I made it a point to cover every Hurricane in detail from the time the NOAA website would project a Storm Track for a tropical storm forming off the West Coast of Africa.  since the Birth of the Doomstead diner around 6 months ago, there really have not been too many good Hurricanes to watch.

Katrina is not the reason for this thread, ISAAC is.  Here is the current 5 day projection from NOAA.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/175511.shtml?tswind120#contents

The scuttlebutt about Isaac is that he may disrupt the GOP National Convention, wonderful on one level, awful on another.  the wonderful level is obvious, what is the Awful One?

The Awful One is that the convention should be a magnet for OWS Protesters, who are likely to be camped out in exposed Tents.  the threat of an Oncoming Hurricane probably will keep many Protesters AWAY from the GOP convention.  HAARP anyone?  Nice coinkidink that a Major Hurricane looks bound for the neighborhood at JUST the right time to keep the Protesters off the Streets.

Tampa is one possible FSofa Landfall here based on the current track, but the 5 day changes a lot as time goes by usually.  the other Target looking likely is NOLA AGAIN!  I gotta look up the current Ocean temps in the GOM and make some comparisons before I can say what will happen to Isaac once he makes it into the GOM.  I SUSPECT they are warmer than when Katrina gathered strength there, since we have had such an "uncharacteristically" HOT summer.

Isaac is still pretty far out and has to pass over Cuba here which often tears apart the Eyewall and disorganizes the cyclonic flow.  So it is still too early to tell whether Isaac will come out of that as just a nasty Rainmaker, or will organize up to a Big One, Cat 5  style.

I will report daily with the Hurricane watch on Isaac in this thread.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Hurricane Watch Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:51:43 AM »
What say you about Ike, bearing down on Tampa and the GOP?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »
Hurricane warnings issued from Louisiana to Florida panhandle as Tropical Storm Isaac lashes Florida Keys

Published August 26, 2012

FoxNews.com

August 26, 2012: Businesses in Key West, Fla., board up their windows as Tropical Storm Isaac approaches. (Fox News)

A man look out at the beach as Tropical Storm Isaac approaches in Barahona, Dominican Republic, Friday, Aug. 24, 2012. (AP Photo/Ricardo Arduengo) (AP2012)

The U.S. National Hurricane Center issued hurricane warnings for an area stretching from Louisiana to the Florida Panhandle Sunday, as the storm lashed the Florida Keys.

The warnings stretched from east of Morgan City, La. -- which includes the New Orleans area -- to Destin, Fla.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami said Isaac is expected to hit somewhere between southeastern Louisiana and the Florida Panhandle either late Tuesday or early Wednesday. It added that hurricane conditions are expected inside the warning area and preparations to protect life and property should be completed as soon as possible.

Preparations have begun farther north as forecasters warn Isaac could be a strong Category 2 hurricane by the time it reaches the Gulf Coast..

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal declared a State of Emergency for Louisiana on Sunday afternoon.

Jindal, a GOP governor expected to speak at this week’s Republican National Convention in Tampa, said he was staying put in Louisiana as the state awaits Tropical Storm Isaac.

“I'm not going anywhere, so I'm not thinking about the convention. I’m not thinking about politics right now our absolute top priority has to be the safety of our people,” he said.

Even before reaching hurricane strength, Isaac has caused considerable inconvenience, with hundreds of flights canceled at airports in Miami and Fort Lauderdale. There were scattered power outages from Key West to Fort Lauderdale affecting more than 6,000 customers, and flooding occurred in low-lying areas.

Wind gusts of 60 mph were reported as far north as Pompano Beach, north of Fort Lauderdale. But while officials urged residents in southeast Florida to stay home, that recommendation was ignored by surfers and joggers on Miami Beach and shoppers at area malls.

The storm was predicted to pass west of Tampa, the site of the Republican National Convention, but it had already disrupted the schedule there because of the likelihood of heavy rain and strong winds.

In Key West, Emalyn Mercer rode her bike while decked out with a snorkel and mask, inflatable arm bands and a paddle, just for a laugh. She rode with Kelly Friend, who wore a wet suit, dive cap and lobster gloves.

"We're just going for a drink," Mercer said.

"With the ones that are brave enough like us," Friend added.

Along famed Duval Street, many stores, bars and restaurants closed, the cigar rollers and palm readers packed up, and just a handful of drinking holes remained open.

That kind of ho-hum attitude extended farther up the coast. Edwin Reeder swung by a gas station in Miami Shores — not for fuel, but drinks and snacks.

"This isn't a storm," he said. "It's a rain storm."

With a laugh, Reeder said he has not stocked up aside from buying dog and cat food.

The forecast wasn't funny, however. Isaac was expected to draw significant strength from the warm, open waters of the Gulf of Mexico/

The storm, which stretched more than 200 miles from its center, which is expected to make landfall as a Category 2 hurricane, could bring top sustained winds of 96 to 110 mph.

The Gulf Coast hasn't been hit by a hurricane since 2008, when Dolly, Ike and Gustav all struck the region.

Hurricane center forecasters are uncertain of the storm's path because two of their best computer models now track the storm on opposite sides of a broad cone. One model has Isaac going well west and the other well east. For the moment, the predicted track goes up the middle.

Before reaching Florida, Isaac was blamed for seven deaths in Haiti and two more in the Dominican Republic, and downed trees and power lines in Cuba. It bore down on the Keys two days after the 20th anniversary of Hurricane Andrew, which caused more than $25 billion in damage just north of the island chain.

In Tampa, convention officials said they would convene briefly on Monday, then recess until Tuesday afternoon, when the storm was expected to have passed. Gov. Rick Scott canceled his plans to attend convention events on Sunday and Monday.

At Miami International Airport, more than 450 flights Sunday were canceled. Inside the American Airlines terminal, people craned for a look out of one of the doors as a particularly strong band of Isaac began lashing the airport with strong rain and high wind.

Michele Remillard said she was trying to get a seat on a flight to New Orleans, well aware the city could be affected by Isaac later this week. In coastal Plaquemines Parish, La., crews rushed to protect the levees that keep floodwaters from reaching that New Orleans suburb.

As of 2 p.m. EDT, the storm was centered about 50 miles southeast of Key West, according to the U.S. National Hurricane Center in Miami. Isaac had top sustained winds of 60 mph and was moving to the northwest at 18 mph.

Tropical storm-force winds extended outward up to 205 miles from the center, meaning storm conditions are possible even in places not in Isaac's direct path.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/weather/2012/08/26/tropical-storm-isaac-gains-strength-expected-to-become-hurricane-sunday/#ixzz24hBa2lxk
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Isaac Celebrates Katrina's 7th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »
The story will be in the volume of Rainfall, not in the absolute Wind Speeds.

RE

Gulf Coast Braces for Isaac With Hurricane Katrina in Mind

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Gulf-Coast-Braces-for-Isaac-With-Hurricane-3819135.php#ixzz24nCnsuHP

Aug. 27 (Bloomberg) -- Almost seven years to the day that Hurricane Katrina ravaged New Orleans, scarring a region and a nation, Gulf Coast residents are deciding whether to evacuate or ride out another storm.

Tropical Storm Isaac is forecast to strengthen into a hurricane over the eastern Gulf of Mexico, closing oil and natural-gas production sites and threatening Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. It is set to strike south of New Orleans on Aug. 29, the anniversary of Katrina.

Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal urged residents not protected by levees to leave. Traffic on Interstate 10, the main thoroughfare out of New Orleans, was at a standstill by 4 p.m. local time.

“If you’re going to evacuate, if you’re going to get supplies, today is the day to do it,” Jindal said at a news conference in the city.

Hurricane Katrina struck Louisiana in 2005, flooding 80 percent of New Orleans. The storm killed more than 1,800 people and displaced 250,000, the U.S. Hurricane Center has said.

Isaac flooded Haiti with heavy rains on its path through the Atlantic and Caribbean and was blamed for eight deaths in Haiti and two more in the Dominican Republic, according to the Associated Press. It brushed past the Florida Keys as it headed northwest, leaving about 72,000 without power.

Lumbering Cyclone

President Barack Obama participated in a call coordinating response with Jindal, Alabama Governor Robert Bentley, Mississippi Governor Phil Bryant -- all Republicans -- and Democratic New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu and Craig Fugate, the Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator, Jindal said at the briefing. The Obama administration said federal emergency aid was made available to Louisiana.

Fugate said earlier that the storm could do much damage across a broad area because it’s large and slow, and may bring a large storm surge, days of rain and river flooding.

“People are too focused on where they think it’s going to make landfall,” Fugate said in a conference call. “It’s going to have effects well away from the center of circulation.”

A hurricane warning is in effect along a 290-mile (467 kilometer) stretch from Louisiana to Florida, including metropolitan New Orleans, Lake Pontchartrain and Lake Maurepas, the advisory said.

As of 5 p.m. East Coast time, Isaac was 255 miles southeast of the mouth of the Mississippi River and strengthening, with top sustained winds of 70 miles per hour. It is moving northwest at 12 mph and is forecast to continue to strengthen until landfall south of New Orleans, possibly as a Category 2 storm.

Tampa Spared

Companies including BP Plc, ConocoPhillips and Murphy Oil Corp. were evacuating personnel or halting production at offshore rigs and platforms. The Louisiana Offshore Oil Port, the largest point of entry for crude coming into the U.S., said it planned to stop unloading tankers today.

United Continental Holdings Inc. and Southwest Airlines Co. canceled flights to New Orleans starting tomorrow and CSX Co. stopped trains into that city, Mobile, Alabama, and Pensacola, Florida. Amtrak has stopped its New Orleans lines. Louisiana also postponed the Aug. 29 opening of its alligator hunting season in the eastern part of the state.

Isaac may spare Tampa, which is hosting the Republican National Convention. Delegates will convene today as scheduled and then recess until tomorrow, according to Reince Priebus, the Republican National Committee chairman. Jindal and Bentley both have said they are skipping the convention to minister to their states.

Band Plays On

In New Orleans, Acadian Ambulance began evacuating nursing homes and hospitals, according to a news release from the company. It reported taking 51 patients from facilities from Orleans and Plaquemines parishes with 66 more scheduled.

Jindal said on Twitter that 224 inmates had been moved from St. Bernard Parish and 1,100 from New Orleans.

On Decatur Street in the city’s French Quarter, jazz still rang out above the chatter, a voodoo man posed for pictures and tourists flocked to the Cafe du Monde for beignets.

Only 10 percent of the normal crowds filled the streets in the city that straddles the Mississippi River, said Howie Farrell, a Navy veteran who narrates horse-carriage tours. Farrell said he wasn’t afraid of the storm so much as what might happen after, including looting.

“I’m ready,” he said. “I have all my guns.”

Turning Tail

John and Kathryn Haynes, visiting from Picton, Ontario, planned to curtail a week-long vacation that began yesterday.

“I had thought it would be fun to ride it out, or at least to see what it would be like, but then I started to wonder if our car would get washed away,” said John Haynes, 56.

Mayor Landrieu, a Democrat, said in a release that his city might see 16 inches of rain.

Alabama Governor Bentley issued evacuation orders beginning this morning for parts of Mobile and Baldwin counties.

Nona and Doug Bilbrey have rebuilt the pier nine times at their coastal vacation home in Coden outside Mobile. They may be in for a 10th. The retired couple was back Monday afternoon to retrieve a boat and move belongings into the margarita-green structure on 18-foot stilts.

Inland homes get more flying debris. The Bilbreys’ house is right on the gulf, so they must contend with a flotsam of staircases, refrigerators and roofing gables from nearby Dauphin Island that will wash in with the storm surge.

Catch a Wave

On Dauphin Island, the mood was festive. In the waves past the boarded-up pastel beach houses there, a line of surfers sat on their boards awaiting the right set of waves. Grant Estes, an 18-year-old air conditioner repairman, said he and his friends would be back all week.

“Only once every few years do we get this,” he said, a board under his arm.

Another group was planning a karaoke hurricane party at the Bienville Bar and Grill.

“Open” signs flapped in the wind on the door as people filled gas cans outside.

“I’ll decide in the morning if I’m going to leave,” said disc jockey John Golson, 53, who brought a case of Budweiser to the bar. ‘If we get hurricane-force winds, and are going to lose power, I’ll go. I don’t have a generator.’’

In Louisiana, Jindal urged voluntary evacuations for people in 15 parishes.

A mobile-home park that Fran Ryan, 52, manages in St. Charles Parish was evacuated yesterday. The tenants had to leave the doors and refrigerators open, a lease term she added after cleaning maggot-infested refrigerators after Katrina. Ryan doesn’t know where her tenants went, with the exception of a property manager who was headed to Florida.

“I told him, ‘Eddie, you’re headed the wrong way,’” Ryan said.

Ryan was deciding whether to ride out the storm. She still had shopping to do, she said, lacking both water and batteries.

“I’m even out of beer,” she said.

--With assistance from Brian K. Sullivan in Boston and Asjylyn Loder in New York. Editors: Stephen Merelman, Justin Blum

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Gulf-Coast-Braces-for-Isaac-With-Hurricane-3819135.php#ixzz24nDQskY0

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/business/bloomberg/article/Gulf-Coast-Braces-for-Isaac-With-Hurricane-3819135.php#ixzz24nBlJNaq
Save As Many As You Can

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 04:02:53 PM »
Thar she BLOWS!
Isaac windfield
Isaac windfield

http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/tracking.asp?storm=Isaac&year=2012&type=windfields
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.