AuthorTopic: Official OWS Thread  (Read 37256 times)

Offline Tao Jonesing

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Discuss "Whither Occupy" here
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »
Last year, the Occupy movement seemed to do so well at refusing to accept the frame of the status quo.  When you start submitting the political equivalent of an Applebee's comment card, you've admitted defeat.  Accept their frame, lose their game:

http://taojonesing.blogspot.com/2012/04/if-you-use-their-frame-game-remains.html

I've been clued into the fallacious concept of perpetual growth in a finite world for about three years now, but in the last couple of days I've realized that the argument in favor of perpetual growth boils down to something much simpler: if usury dies, civilization dies.  Really?  No usury = no civilization? 

Unless the Occupy movement learns to question the asserted foundations of civilization, the Occupy movement will fail.  Begging for the opportunity to "compete" for jobs (i.e., free education for all) is a sign of abject ignorance and stupidity.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »
I did. I couldn't find it. in thought there was one-- if you can direct it there, Im fine with that.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2012, 10:31:28 PM »
I did. I couldn't find it. in thought there was one-- if you can direct it there, Im fine with that.

I'll do the Merge.

Blah.  I am overwhelmed. I'm trying to write a MASTERPIECE about my Trucking Years and this Board Maintenance Stuff keeps cropping up. ARRRGGGHHHH!!!!

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Official OWS Thread
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »
Topics Merged and now under the Official OWS thread title.  I fixed the link on the Blog article also.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2012, 03:56:02 AM »
That for merging, RE. This is clearly where it belongs.

I couldn't find the damned thing earlier.

Now, let's hear about those Trucking Years . . .
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Official OWS Thread/Orwell
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 07:01:01 AM »
“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face—for ever.”
― George Orwell, 1984

From Giles Clarke:
"I was standing next to Paul here when the NYPD took him down for filming an arrest..he did nothing other than point a lens at another futile arrest. The NYPD are a disgusting bunch of ignorant and corrupt fucks."
July11 Zuccotti NYC

Tags: guardian.co.uk, OWS Photo and BBC

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2012, 07:17:06 AM »
From Giles Clarke:
"I was standing next to Paul here when the NYPD took him down for filming an arrest..he did nothing other than point a lens at another futile arrest. The NYPD are a disgusting bunch of ignorant and corrupt fucks."
July11 Zuccotti NYC

What a friggin disgrace. Where is the press, or the ass holes called paparazzi that follow the movie stars around all day? Where is the OUTRAGE! Mayor Bloomberg is banning soda drinks while this shit goes on, what a sense of priporities.       :icon_scratch:

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2012, 09:20:31 AM »

Now, let's hear about those Trucking Years . . .

That one is going to take a while.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2012, 09:30:46 AM »
I wish officer Lopez's face was in that picture, and not just Paul's. That would have been a great picture to post all over the city with the text, arrested for filming an arrest.

God damn cops should be raiding the fucking banks.

Take that picture and put a bankers face there.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
Jay Gould was once famously quoted as having said, "You can always hire half of the working class to kill the other half."

The picture proves it.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »
Jay Gould was once famously quoted as having said, "You can always hire half of the working class to kill the other half."

Only for so long as the Capitalista Class still has Functioning Money to pay half the Working Class.  When they work their way down to only having enough money to pay 10% of the Working Class, they will have a serious problem.  This appears to be the case already in Greece and Spain.

Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2012, 11:58:42 AM »
Surly - Jay Gould was once famously quoted as having said, "You can always hire half of the working class to kill the other half."

RE - Only for so long as the Capitalista Class still has Functioning Money to pay half the Working Class.  When they work their way down to only having enough money to pay 10% of the Working Class, they will have a serious problem.  This appears to be the case already in Greece and Spain.

Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You.

If there's a global liquidity freeze, Zuccotti park may see a very different kind of theatre.

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Comment on "Lost Generation" here...
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2012, 12:00:13 PM »
Comments on blog post, "A New Lost Generation" here...

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »
Some other data points:

Young people may not even have access to unemployment benefits because of a short work history, and increasingly they are forced to rely on their parents, many of whom are also struggling. Young people are living at home longer, moving back in after graduating, foregoing health insurance after they are dropped from their parents’ plans, waiting longer to marry or buy their own homes. These are decisions primarily of economic necessity, with lifelong impacts and national ramifications.

In turn, burdened both by poverty and high debt loads, lacking savings and access to public aid programs, young people are forced to rely still more heavily on loans, and particularly private loans and credit cards. In 2009, 37 percent of adults aged 29 and younger had more than $5,000 in “non-mortgage and non-student loan debt, primarily in the form of credit cards,” the report noted. More than one-third of young adults said they had increased their debt levels in the last year to try to make ends meet.

A splendid recipe for a lifetime of debt servitude.

Because of Obama’s bailout of Wall Street that money is now scant for education, job creation or social services for unemployed young Americans. In the name of the financial crisis and federal debt, the Obama administration has launched an unprecedented attack on public programs, including education. Any funding for basic social spending is predicated on austerity, on gutting the living standards of American workers and opening such areas as education, health services and infrastructure to further privatization and profit-taking at the expense of the public.

We see this up close and personal in Virginia, where Gov. Transvaginal Ultrasound has turned several tunnels and a tolling mechanism over to a Swedish concern; and our west, where our boy wants to lift a 30-year ban on Uranium mining, "Virginia Uranium" is anything but local, a Canadian concern. It remains to be seen to whom the biggest prize, the Port of Virginia, is shunted off to. A staggering transfer of public resources to private hands within four years, redounding to the permanent impoverishment of the citizens and taxpayers of Virginia, with nary a whisper of dissent.

Rmoney lickspittle and Virginia Governor Transvaginal Ultrasound mouths right wing platitudes to an adoring crowd of sheeple.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Lost Generation
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2012, 01:26:25 AM »
Comments on blog post, "A New Lost Generation" here...

A Fine Story Surly, albeit of course a Sad Story also.

Depending on who you hung out with, this story has been out there though since back in the 70s or 80s at least I think. Good Paying Jobs with Bennies disappearing at least since Ronald Rayguns fired all the Air Traffic Controllers, and really still before that when Norma Rae stood up on her Sewing Machine with the Hand Scribbled UNION sign.

This generation of course is getting it the worst now,  as the process of incurring further debt to maintain an unsustainable industrial economy meets its inevitable Maker.  Much worse of course already in places like Greece and Spain than it is here yet,  but likely will not take long before we are in much the same condition here as they are in Eurotrashland.

To me, the sad thing is here that so many of these 20/30-Somethings are still out there preparing for"Jobs" in an Industrial Economy that simply will not EXIST at all in somewhere between 10-30 years IMHO.  Too few understand that the whole SYSTEM is not sustainable, and if they are to Make it Through the Zero Point they must begin to prepare for a COMPLETELY different life than that.

They gather together at Parties, a few of the lucky ones still employed at something, but how many of them are TRULY preparing for a Low Energy Future World? Far too few of them IMHO.

Part of me says that subconsciously, EVERYBODY KNOWS.  So sadly though, EVERYBODY DOES NOT KNOW!

So that is WHY we are HERE on the Doomstead Diner.  To do the best we can to make sure that as many people as possible DO KNOW what EVERYBODY SHOULD KNOW. Until at last...

EVERYBODY KNOWS!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GUfS8LyeUyM" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GUfS8LyeUyM</a>

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

RE
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:27:36 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can