AuthorTopic: The Potfolio  (Read 61216 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Potfolio
« Reply #480 on: June 13, 2018, 05:57:29 AM »
Fairly predictable. Wonder what the ratio is of homegrown to store bought?

As all the signs start to line up for a recession/crash on the medium term horizon, what with stock buy-backs surging higher as I predicted when Trump gave corporations the tax gift, and insiders in the FAANGS dumping their shares as fast as they can, I'm hesitant to suggest any stock investment now, unless you're somebody like GO who can move in and out really fast.

I am perhaps buying one more house to add to my own investment portfolio. With mortgage rates now up to about 4.5% for 1st homes, I'll be lucky to get 5.5%.  But we ran across an interesting situation where one of my daughter's neighbors is selling out due to an unfortunate illness of the terminal kind. It might be a decent place for my widow to live someday.  Not sure the stars will line up for this deal, but we'll see.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: June 13, 2018, 06:14:38 AM »
Thinking more of a small condo or apartment for mine.

Wouldn't a house be more of a burden for an elderly lady without a husband and no need for the space.?

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 13, 2018, 06:41:15 AM »
No HOA fee on this particular house, which significantly impacts the cost of ownership. I can't make a condo flow cash here, because of the outsized HOA's.

And it's immediately next door to teacher daughter. It's also about half the size of our current domicile. Tiny yard, more of a townhouse than a typical suburban set-up. Not a bad little-old-lady house.

My wife likes this neighborhood because it has nice trees and a big park nearby, and I've had my eye out for a good deal there for a good while.

The poor lady who owns it has cancer. She has done a lot of nice work on the place and she wants to move to Florida to be near her grandkids.

It would be a rental for the time being, but we'd have to put 40% down to make it flow cash, what with the interest rates rising now.

It might not come together anyway, but I like it. The price is not too bad. Real estate here is REALLY getting out of control, price-wise. Not like Boston yet, but getting there.

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 13, 2018, 08:18:01 AM »
Next door to daughter makes it a must purchase if it were my old lady.  :laugh:

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: June 13, 2018, 08:47:54 AM »
That's part of it for my beloved as well.  ;D

I don't expect my eldest, the teacher, to move as long as BAU persists. She is 35 and pretty well established now. I don't think children are in the cards for her, although it would be a nice surprise if she had one. Both my older daughters are local, but daughter number two might move, depending on whether she gets in med school.

I used to call that one adventurer daughter, but I have now decided to call her scholar daughter. At 33, she is the hardest working student I've ever known, bar none.  And she would make an exceptional physician, if she can find her place. Studying Chinese medicine has been a unique opportunity for her, although it only qualifies her to practice acupuncture here. She has the chops for med school, no doubt of that, but getting in is a crap shoot.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 13, 2018, 09:16:48 AM »
That's part of it for my beloved as well.  ;D

I don't expect my eldest, the teacher, to move as long as BAU persists. She is 35 and pretty well established now. I don't think children are in the cards for her, although it would be a nice surprise if she had one. Both my older daughters are local, but daughter number two might move, depending on whether she gets in med school.

I used to call that one adventurer daughter, but I have now decided to call her scholar daughter. At 33, she is the hardest working student I've ever known, bar none.  And she would make an exceptional physician, if she can find her place. Studying Chinese medicine has been a unique opportunity for her, although it only qualifies her to practice acupuncture here. She has the chops for med school, no doubt of that, but getting in is a crap shoot.

What were her scores on the MCAT?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 13, 2018, 10:17:28 AM »
She hasn't taken it yet. She has another year or so of pre-reqs. Her degree was in finance. She is taking the final pre-reqs at the same time she is doing acupuncture school.

Acupuncture school is not a slam dunk. They study medicine. It is not just a cookbook school. It's four full years. Her profs, who are mostly Chinese, think she's pretty hot stuff. I don't think they get many students with her ability. They want her to just do acupuncture, because she's great at it.

Because she is dyslexic, the standardized tests you and I find so easy are not so easy for her. That's my only concern. She knows her shit. I expect she'll have to get in a foreign school, but maybe not. We'll see.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 13, 2018, 10:27:06 AM »
She hasn't taken it yet. She has another year or so of pre-reqs. Her degree was in finance. She is taking the final pre-reqs at the same time she is doing acupuncture school.

Acupuncture school is not a slam dunk. They study medicine. It is not just a cookbook school. It's four full years. Her profs, who are mostly Chinese, think she's pretty hot stuff. I don't think they get many students with her ability. They want her to just do acupuncture, because she's great at it.

Because she is dyslexic, the standardized tests you and I find so easy are not so easy for her. That's my only concern. She knows her shit. I expect she'll have to get in a foreign school, but maybe not. We'll see.

She should get in a Princeton Review course NOW to prep for the MCAT, especially if she has difficulty wth standardized tests.  She can take practice test where she will get her current score ballpark.  When I taught for TPR, if you pulled 12s you pretty much were a shoe-in for Med Skule.

RE

Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: June 13, 2018, 10:48:02 AM »
She knows. She took the LSAT course, but still didn't do great. She could have gotten into some law school, but she abandoned that when she couldn't get in a school where she wanted to go. Now i think she's older and wiser, and already better prepped...but yeah, she will definitely take a test prep course.

The LSAT is a different kettle of fish, as you know. I think her knowledge base for medicine is pretty good. She already knows as much as a third year med student. But the test is a gateway, as you are well aware.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:10:15 AM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 13, 2018, 01:00:07 PM »
She knows. She took the LSAT course, but still didn't do great. She could have gotten into some law school, but she abandoned that when she couldn't get in a school where she wanted to go. Now i think she's older and wiser, and already better prepped...but yeah, she will definitely take a test prep course.

The LSAT is a different kettle of fish, as you know. I think her knowledge base for medicine is pretty good. She already knows as much as a third year med student. But the test is a gateway, as you are well aware.

The LSAT logic section is a real bear, especially for the dyslexic I suspect.  It's not fact based, you gotta be good at setting up diagrams for a given problem.  Arguments section also not fact based, in fact sometimes the answers are contrary to reality.  MCAT is mostly fact based.  Hopefully that will help her.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 13, 2018, 01:12:43 PM »
Did you ever teach the prep course for the DAT? It has some non-fact based weirdness......you know, the 2D and 3D spacial concepts stuff and which line is shorter, or longer. That kind of BS.

I totally aced the fact based part. I was off-the-charts. That spacial stuff, not so much. LOL.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 13, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »
Did you ever teach the prep course for the DAT? It has some non-fact based weirdness......you know, the 2D and 3D spacial concepts stuff and which line is shorter, or longer. That kind of BS.

I totally aced the fact based part. I was off-the-charts. That spacial stuff, not so much. LOL.

No, in those years I'm not sure TPR even offered a course for the DAT.  I taught the SAT, MCAT & LSAT.  I think I was the only instructor in the NYC branch that taught all 3.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 13, 2018, 02:04:20 PM »

No, in those years I'm not sure TPR even offered a course for the DAT.  I taught the SAT, MCAT & LSAT.  I think I was the only instructor in the NYC branch that taught all 3.

RE

Sounds like easy money after the first few times.
That was all punch card scored.
Adult day care ....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Potfolio - O' Canada says O'k to pot 1st G7 to legalize
« Reply #493 on: June 19, 2018, 01:20:51 PM »
http://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/06/19/18/canada-lawmakers-vote-to-legalize-cannabis
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #494 on: June 19, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »
http://news.abs-cbn.com/overseas/06/19/18/canada-lawmakers-vote-to-legalize-cannabis

Just the thought of this fellow below's reaction to that news makes my day.  ;D

Ah told the President of this here Republic that he should not have messed with them Canadians. Ah jes can't believe all those good=white folks in Canada would want to make legal smokin' that devil weed thing. Dad Gummit! Ah swear, they're jes' powerful mad about the President's ungentlemanly treatment of their Big Dog an now ah gotta deal with all this drug crime on our border. Hmmm. Ah wonder how many black folks live up there. We might be able to snag a few at the border. Gotta keep our MAGA prison guards employed, after all...
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 05:07:47 PM by agelbert »
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.