AuthorTopic: I Admit to Being Afraid of World War Four  (Read 431 times)

Offline Guest Blogger

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
I Admit to Being Afraid of World War Four
« on: October 15, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of Dead Rat Reporter

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on Reddit r/collapse on October 14, 2016

dead_rat

Discuss this article at the Geopolitics Table inside the Diner

Most of you are too young to remember World War Three. They commonly refer to this as the Cold War, even though millions of Third World Peasants and tens of thousands of Americans and Soviets perished fighting it. I am old enough to have a vague recollection of the Cuban Missile Crisis. I remember my poor single mother piling canned goods, jugs of tap water and blankets on the back floorboards of an old Pontiac (I assume the trunk was full of other possessions), so that she and her five children could flee Houston for a West Texas farmstead. Someone talked her out of it, arguing that could be no escape from nuclear warfare. Looking back, I think her calculation was the better one. Anyway, I was almost five years old, and that is the first historical event I can recall.

In 1973, the USA went to DefCon 3, nuclear high alert, to bluff the Soviets from intervening in the Yom Kippur War. (In one version, the National Security Council did this without a direct order from President Nixon, the official Commander-in-Chief, as he was asleep.) That day, my high school was treating us to a showing of Dr. Strangelove. I had read about the high alert in the morning newspaper, and told a cute girl about it. She found the dark irony of that to be ‘cool’. I went on to learn about MAD, MIRVs and the nuclear triad. I gained enough understanding of it to be terrified of Ronald Reagan. We know now that he terrified the Soviets too, enough that they almost pulled the nuclear trigger – twice in 1983.

This morning, Microsoft fed me a version of this sensational news item.

Putin orders Russian officials' relatives studying abroad to return home, reports claim

Russia is ordering all of its officials to fly home any relatives living abroad amid rising tensions over the prospect of a new world war, it’s been claimed.

Politicians and high-ranking figures are said to have received a high-level warning from tough guy president Vladimir Putin, according to local media.

The reported call to return to the Motherland – which comes after Putin suddenly cancelled a visit to France – applies to all state employees.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/10/12/putin-orders-russian-officials-relatives-studying-abroad-to-return-home-reports-claim.html#

Later that morning, I found this propaganda item:

7 Ways Russia Is Telling People to Prepare for War

With tensions between Russia and the United States at the highest since the Cold War, there have been some alarming signals coming out of Moscow intended to suggest the country is ready for war.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/ways-russia-telling-people-prepare-war/story?id=42800992

For the past few years, there has been a rising drumbeat of this war hysteria. The last Presidential ‘Debate’ shocked me by the constant invocation of Satanic Triad of Putin, Assad and Trump by Mrs. Clinton, and the moderators as well. At her age, she should have substantial memories of these brushes with Armageddon and of the related danger of McCarthyism too, but apparently, Mrs. Clinton is willing to risk nuclear war for sake of Aleppo and the hacking of some embarrassing e-mails. Age alone does not bring wisdom.

I am real tired of this shit.