AuthorTopic: The Cost of Your Healthcare Explained in One Chart  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Cost of Your Healthcare Explained in One Chart
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »

http://davidstockmanscontracorner.com/chart-of-the-day-why-the-health-care-system-is-broken-growth-of-administrators-vs-physicians-since-1970/
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: The Cost of Your Healthcare Explained in One Chart
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »
Hospital Administration isn't a Gated Profession where the number of schools and spots for learning it are limited like Medical School and Dental School

If you trained more Doctors and Dentists it would drive down the price they could charge.  Supply and Demand, Econ 101.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 03:07:36 PM »
A 2500% increase in administrators  since 1990. (and I would guess that includes a broad range of job titles, not just hospital admins. I'm thinking mostly insurance people.)

That kind of cost dwarfs doctor pay.

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
We have too many doctors and dentists now. Putting more out there just means there will be more unethical behavior as they try to make a living, and find it is easier if they rip people off and commit fraud and that sort of thing.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 03:35:00 PM »
We have too many doctors and dentists now. Putting more out there just means there will be more unethical behavior as they try to make a living, and find it is easier if they rip people off and commit fraud and that sort of thing.

I figure there should be one doctor for every 100 people.  That is a reasonable number of people to serve.

So, if each person pays this doctor $1000/year, the doctor makes $100K, a pretty good living and $1000/year is affordable for the average person making $50K/year.

So, with 320M people in the FSoA, there should be around 3.2M Doctors.  How many doctors ARE there actually in the FSoA?  Do you know how many active doctors there actually ARE in the FSoA? 854,698.  About 25% of what is necessary here.

Dentists do even worse.  As of 2012, there were 146,000 active dentists.  There should be 3.2M of those also.  It would drive down the prices enormously.

Of course, we also need to eliminate a lot of the paperwork and administration, but the primary driver here are the exorbitant salaries that Doctors and Dentists pull in because they run Gated Professions.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »
Your numbers sound good, but they don't really make sense. You know how many patients I serve? I have 4000 plus ACTIVE patients. I have 27,000 charts, meaning I've seen that many patients in my career, many of those people dozens or even hundreds of times.

Along with that 25000% increase in administration, doctor pay has shrunk during the same time period. Most doctors are employees now, and work directly for the insurance companies that own the clinics and hospitals. (Median salary for a pediatrician is just $163K.)

Dentistry has been spared that, mainly because it's small potatoes, but it's going that way now.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 05:14:38 PM »
Your numbers sound good, but they don't really make sense. You know how many patients I serve? I have 4000 plus ACTIVE patients. I have 27,000 charts, meaning I've seen that many patients in my career, many of those people dozens or even hundreds of times.

That's the PROBLEM!  You shouldn't be serving 4000 patients, but more like 400.  There should be more dentists so each dentist serves fewer patient and each dentist makes less money.

Dentists make far too much money.  They are destroying our economy.  lol.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 05:40:51 PM »
Four hundred patients. Lets look at some numbers if those precious 400 were all I had.

That would gross (at my real fees) an initial income of 400K perhaps, to the practice. An average new patient in my practice brings in gross revenue of  between $800 and $900. Once they were restored, their yearly hygiene visits would bring in 80K per year. That's less than what my hygienist makes. No more hygienist.

The additional work the precious 400 might need here and there would gross maybe an additional $100K to $200K a year.

The payroll for my hourly employees is $372K per year . How would I pay employees? How would I buy equipment and supplies, and pay rent?

We'd be back to a shot of whisky and the pliers in no time under your rules. I could work out of my truck maybe? Pull teeth on the black market for five bucks a pop. Ten bucks if you want clean instruments.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 05:53:29 PM »
Four hundred patients. Lets look at some numbers if those precious 400 were all I had.

That would gross (at my real fees) an initial income of 400K perhaps, to the practice. An average new patient in my practice brings in gross revenue of  between $800 and $900. Once they were restored, their yearly hygiene visits would bring in 80K per year. That's less than what my hygienist makes. No more hygienist.

The additional work the precious 400 might need here and there would gross maybe an additional $100K to $200K a year.

The payroll for my hourly employees is $372K per year . How would I pay employees? How would I buy equipment and supplies, and pay rent?

We'd be back to a shot of whisky and the pliers in no time under your rules. I could work out of my truck maybe? Pull teeth on the black market for five bucks a pop. Ten bucks if you want clean instruments.

I never said the transition would be EZ or Painless. :P

Look at the positive side.  With only 1/10th the patients, you would only need to work 5 hours a week instead of 50!  Much more time left over for raising Honeybees and Manalitsa piggies!

RE
Save As Many As You Can