PE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"> Future Cargo Ships Powered by Sails

AuthorTopic: Future Cargo Ships Powered by Sails  (Read 1454 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Future Cargo Ships Powered by Sails
« on: August 29, 2012, 03:23:23 AM »
Wind power once ferried flotillas of commerce across the seas. Now, as fossil fuels dwindle and become more costly, prototype cargo vessels are starting to incorporate high tech sails.

The New York Times’ John Geoghegan yesterday wrote an article about how the sail, an innovation from antiquity, might make a comeback among a common class of cargo carriers: vessels that transport between 3,000 to 10,000 tons.

These ships are smaller and slower than container ships, but nonetheless hold massive tonnage. Some 10,000 vessels of this class are in service worldwide, and account for one fifth of cargo ships, Geoghegan reported.

Both fuel costs and environmental regulations are on the rise. Cargo vessels are a major emitter of the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide, and the United Nations is responding to the threat with new rules.         :icon_study:

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/intelligent-energy/sails-to-power-future-cargo-ships-global-trade/18536

ut wind challenger project
ut wind challenger project

Offline funkyspec

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Future Cargo Ships Powered by Sails
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
I remember some hype a few years ago about using kites ("tethered sails") to propel ocean-going cargo vessles.

I know they've actually implemented some of these designs, but I am not sure how commercially viable this technology is right this very minute. Kiteship.com website seems dated.

I also remember seeing designs for wind powered blimps/dirigibles that could work over water (they needed some sort of tethered vessel in the water to be able to make way in different wind directions).