AuthorTopic: The Aleppo/Mosul Riddle  (Read 4833 times)

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
Re: The Aleppo/Mosul Riddle
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2016, 08:36:56 AM »
but more to the point, as to the Aleppo/Mosul riddle.  Not much of a riddle IMO.  It's fubar and America's foreign policy is mostly to blame.  America destabilized the entire region for control of that regions energy.  Now it's just belligerent idiots servicing BAU.  Well that, and a hand full of different militant Islamic groups whom all think they are correct with their religious nuances (did I use whom correctly there?). 

My concern is that these militants will end up here once America collapses in earnest.

I just want to live in peace, but apparently that is mostly not what the human condition is about.  Maybe it's got something to do with the pyramidal structure of things.  Apparently that structure only works with slavery and war and the top of that pyramid is what enforces it on the rest of us.  Human nature is the cause I suppose. 

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2016, 11:03:26 AM »
I never could type for spit, and still can't. I often re-read my posts and correct errors, as you might have noticed. I don't routinely use spell check because I'm a reasonably decent speller, but I still do screw up when I get in a hurry or I've hoisted a glass or two.

I'd guess there is a decline in the use of grammar and spelling and proper syntax. We live in a text message world where you get put on ignore if you don't get your point across in less than 140 characters.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2016, 01:17:17 PM »
It is true about the 140 characters.  Is that the limit on twitter?  Twitter is one I've managed to not succumb to.  I'm only on facepalm because I started my business and tried to run the facepalm page for it using GM's facepalm.  It didn't work out.  Hell I didn't even have a smart phone until I started my business and developed the need.  I mostly use thumbtack to get new clients.  The key to thumbtack is being the first "professional" to quote and then make client contact in person.  I've found that if I can get the client to meet me, 9 times out of 10 they will hire me.  Some people just want the work done asap, and they don't care to wait for other thumbtack "professionals" to respond. 

Anyways, the short attention span is a side effect of the instant gratification electronic communication world we live in.  I'm reminded of Kurt Vonegut's "Galapagos" where he had humans devolve into fish.  Our brains shrunk and our fishing skills increased.  We no longer needed big brains.  Big brains became a hindrance to getting our bellies filled, so we turned into fish...in "Galapagos."  If you haven't read it I highly recommend it.  Vonnegut is one of my favorite authors.  Who reads books any more? 

140 characters does not qualify as a book. 

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 02:02:32 PM »
LD, I was never  interested in correcting spelling and grammar. Writing one post properly for Palloy was a long and laborious waste of words to say very little. I was only interested in a trend that has started and taken off in the last 6 months. I find it puzzling and was getting some ideas on it because it is happening in real time and people might be able to tell me whats going on in the moment. In hindsight, 24 hours later and little wiser, it was a mistake to ask.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 02:05:33 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 02:52:05 PM »
As a child when I came home with a school paper I was proud of I'd show it
to the old man. Say I'd get a 93 on it. The old man would say "You missed 7 points" !
To this day I will call people out on "Going through life looking for reasons to be offended"
I've had to sit Kathy down now twice & have a come to GEEE-ZUSSSS meeting about this annoyance.

Palloy you be sharp when it comes to X-Boxes with virus' or something along those AI lines.
My answer to that is obvious. 3 items 1) Pencil 2) Paper 3) File cabinet. Those 3 items will outlive cyberspace, hands down.

Palloy, I'd love to watch you root around for gold up on the mountain. If you don't fall in a hole, get snake bit, or cat mauled,we
all have our strengths, weakness' & shortcomings. We are all tough-guy keyboard cowboys. When the rubber meets the road,
we will see you makes the cut. No guarantees there.

Palloy, you've shared nothing about who you are, where you come from, or what you do.
For all we diners know, you may be an AI soul-less computer.

I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 03:01:42 PM »
LD, I was never  interested in correcting spelling and grammar. Writing one post properly for Palloy was a long and laborious waste of words to say very little. I was only interested in a trend that has started and taken off in the last 6 months. I find it puzzling and was getting some ideas on it because it is happening in real time and people might be able to tell me whats going on in the moment. In hindsight, 24 hours later and little wiser, it was a mistake to ask.

No worries Uncle...I'm just being honest with my opinion.  Not trying to wave a dick around.