AuthorTopic: Bugout Cooking Gear  (Read 2602 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Bugout Cooking Gear
« on: October 27, 2016, 04:28:03 PM »
I have a new enthusiasm, lightweight & portable stainless steel and aluminum cooking gear.  :icon_sunny:

Now, as you might expect since I am so obsessed with food and cooking (even though I hardly eat much these days and do little real cooking anymore), I have just a TON of great cookware.  Big stockpots, pans of all sizes, the latest greatest in non-stick ceramic coatings that supposedly won't taint your food like old fashioned Teflon, dedicated steamers, electric slow cookers, George Foreman electric grill...if there is a cooking device out there I probably have some variation of it. lol.

All this stuff takes up cabinets worth of space in the digs, which actually are overflowing so I have to find other creative ways to store much of it, especially since I never USE it! lol.  In actuality, all I ever use these days are 2 sauce pans, a small one for eggs and a larger one to pan fry veggies or sausages, and two pots, a small one for just a one time soup heating and a larger one to make a gumbo that will last 3-4 days.  Each one also doubles to steam up some rice as well.

This cooking kit isn't ridiculously large, and I could easily bring it with me, and I can easily fit it in my little kitchenette center in the projected Stealth Van I hope to buy next Spring and go out OTR with Brother RE's Travelling Collapse Salvation Show.  :icon_sunny:  Said items will definitely be coming with me.  Also, once I get the trailer, a lot of the larger cooking apparatus will come along also, since I intend on setting up a traveling Food Truck than is capable of serving dozens if not hundreds of people in Homeless encampments and at demonstrations and occupy type sites.  All this works just fine so long as I can get gas for the Van.  Once that goes though, all that cooking gear has to be left behind, at least for a Nomadic lifestyle with just say a Goat Cart to pull my crippled ass along with the tribe until I am losing my marbles too and become worthless to the tribe.  As long as the brain still works OK, I still have some value.  Once that goes along with the mechanical stuff to move around reasonably well, I am a worthless meat package and it is time to cash in my Advance Purchase Ticket to the Great Beyond, which I carry in my wallet along with my Debit Cards, Driver's License, Passport Card, Med Insurance Card and my Safeway Food Discount Card.

So, for longer term prepping purposes that come AFTER I can't cruise around in the Stealth Van, while the getting is still good on these items which are mostly manufactured in China, I am Prepping Up!

Such a kit starts with the basic Mess Kit anyone who was ever a Boy Scout or even just did some independent camping knows.

Such a mess kit is an essential for any individual of course, and I got one of those.  They come with a nice small pot to do soups in and other freeze dried camping foods you just add water to, a pan which you can fry eggs or sautee a fish fillet in, a plate which also works as a cover for the pan and a drinking cup or soup cup.

However, for anything but the solo camper, such a mess kit is extremely inefficient.  You need larger pots and pans to cook up together for 4-8 people traveling together.  Everyone cooking up their own stuff with their own little set of mess kit equipment is EXTREMELY inefficient!  At the very least, it takes up more space on your open fire/grill than you have room for, forcing you to rotate and run the fire much longer.  Some larger pots and pans to handle this medium size bulk cooking are a NECESSARY item!

So I have been researching this online, as well as physically shopping for such items over the last couple of weeks.  I'm starting to get together a portable cooking kit which is nice and compact, lightweight and with which I could cook up meals for upwards of 10 people or so at a time over only an open fire if necessary, although the equipment can of course also be used with electric hot plates or propane or kerosene fired camping stoves.

I'll be writing a full article on the blog about constructing such a portable cooking kit, with some reviews on the stuff I buy and test out.  I'm very interested in a wood fired system from Bio-Lite, which is coming in at the EXPENSIVE  price of around $200.  I can probably duplicate most of this MUCH cheaper, but it does seem well constructed.  It's an Eddie type of thing here, lol.  You WANT to buy the really well done version that is professionally manufactured, but usually if you think it out you can do the same thing at a fraction of the price.

Anyhow, I will be doing a full article on the blog on this in the future.  Not sure when, since right now I am focused on the new Novel. "How I Survived the Collapse".  Chapter 2 comes out for Sunday Brunch.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Bugout Cooking Gear
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 04:41:20 PM »
I have that mess kit. Works like a champ.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/C_fEIVwjrew&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/C_fEIVwjrew&fs=1</a>

Use it up at the mine  :emthup:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
There is conflicting research, some linking aluminium pots and kettles to earlier alzheimers. I dont use it myself but would make exception for hiking light.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:55:26 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 05:15:55 PM »
I have that mess kit. Works like a champ.

Use it up at the mine  :emthup:

Long as you are only feeding yourself, such a mess kit is all you need, and everyone should have on of these in the Bugout Bag.  I don't think I have ever been without a mess kit since I was 10 or so.  The contents haven't changed in 40 years, nor even the materials really.

However, they are limited to feeding one or at most two people at a time off one fire.  You need some somewhat larger pots and pans if you are to efficiently cook for a family of four, or hopefully better than that a small tribe of say a dozen people.

My goal in this experiment is to construct such a cooking kit that is compact and lightweight and durable enough to last a reasonably long time, say a decade or so.  I want the whole thing to fit in one medium size tactical backpack.  I'm about halfway there in items I think are worthwhile, and I am still under $100 in expenses on this kit (which in all likelihood I will never actually really NEED to use).

Nesting is very important to keep it compact.  Also removable or foldable handles also necessary for being able to pack it well.  Because of this, most of the time you can't use stuff that is designed for home use, although some items you can.  The more household stuff you can use, the cheaper you can do it.  The camping items come in at higher prices because they have lower sales volume.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 05:35:40 PM »
Those thin aluminum cooking pots really suck. I doubt they'd last long with daily use either.

Gimme an iron skillet, one big soup pot and maybe a bamboo steamer.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:48:29 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »
I'd like to play around with one of these. Lower tech than Biolite.

http://www.ebay.com/p/ecozoom-versa-rocket-stove-wood-biomass-or-charcoal-fuel/1712226670?iid=122160731203&ul_noapp=true,true&chn=ps&lpid=82,82

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 05:46:17 PM »
I have a couple of big dutch ovens with legs. Great for permanent camps, but heavy. However, they are popular with river guides.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 05:50:08 PM »
These new camp stoves have come along recently. I haven't used one but they get good reviews. Propane dependent.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Outdoor-Stove-and-Oven-Stainless-Steel/23574379

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 05:53:53 PM »
I have my tent permanently set up at the stead, and I have a propane fired on-demand water heater hooked to an outdoor shower now, which works pretty well. I've been toying with the idea of building a permanent outdoor camp kitchen. It'd be nice to have, as long as some random trespasser didn't load my stuff up and drive off with it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 05:55:26 PM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »
I have plenty of the big heavy stuff. I got the Cast Iron Dutch Ovens from Lodge Logic and the big ass skillet too! LOL.  The obective here is to get lightweight and portable.

Making these items LAST is a matter of how you USE them.  I can make such cookware last pretty much forever by using it properly.  This is what most people who use such items do not understand.  It doesn't really matter that they are thin.  It's all in how you transmit the heat to them.

I will detail this when I write the article.

You'll never understand this stuff Eddie, I am convinced of that now.  You are too immersed in having all the "best" stuff at the highest prices.  Somewhere on your path, you lost the ability to be a ghetto scavenger.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 06:02:09 PM »
My kids turned me on to these stackable bamboo steamers. Real handy, and you could probably even make one if you knew somebody who could split bamboo properly.  ;D

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 06:07:29 PM »
No, the deal is, that unlike a lot of people, I've actually cooked with that cheap crap, and used it. Not impressed with  mess kits. I wouldn't give you a nickel for one.

And I doubt I'll need to ever carry all my cooking gear in a backpack anyway.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 06:12:09 PM »
You'll never understand this stuff Eddie, I am convinced of that now.  You are too immersed in having all the "best" stuff at the highest prices.  Somewhere on your path, you lost the ability to be a ghetto scavenger.

This from the guy who owns half a dozen different grills and half a dozen crock pots, at least.

I can scavenge with the best when I need to, but sourcing good scavengable stuff is harder than it used to be, now that damn near everything gets recycled and somebody makes money off it.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 06:19:51 PM »
I have my tent permanently set up at the stead, and I have a propane fired on-demand water heater hooked to an outdoor shower now, which works pretty well. I've been toying with the idea of building a permanent outdoor camp kitchen. It'd be nice to have, as long as some random trespasser didn't load my stuff up and drive off with it.

I have a shower setup for the back of my V-Dub bus.
Open the rear hatch up & the curtain is attached with magnets.
The collapse able water bag sits in the roof rack. Gravity fed military type shower.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 06:23:21 PM »

This from the guy who owns half a dozen different grills and half a dozen crock pots, at least.

I can scavenge with the best when I need to, but sourcing good scavengable stuff is harder than it used to be, now that damn near everything gets recycled and somebody makes money off it.

RE is my name, Hypocrisy is my game. lol.

However,  I will make a decent demonstration of how to use lightweight cooking equipment and make it last a while.  When I get to it.  ::)  Right now, I am backed up 2 months deep on Sunday Brunch articles, so unless I start publishing twice a week, it will be a while before I get to this.

RE
Save As Many As You Can