AuthorTopic: Doomstead Diner Election Coverage: Live Updates  (Read 7598 times)

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • https://palloy.wordpress.com
Re: Doomstead Diner Election Coverage: Live Updates
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2016, 04:52:06 PM »
AG: Do you think Russian currency will strengthen now, or will the US oligarchs continue to try to undermine the Russian economy?

Obama is still in charge till January, so I don't expect policy on that to change soon.  Trump has made outbursts against Yellen, but I don't think he can sack her, can he? - do Fed Chairs ever resign on change of PotUS?

The rout in the stock market on the shock news led to the UST-10 bond yield rising 0.21% in a day! - that's on a value that the experts follow to six decimal places.  That suggests that there were a lot of forced sellers of stocks and buyers of bonds, that got scalped of course for being wrong.

Prediction: volatility ahead (hardly novel, I admit)

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/donald-trump-foreign-policy-advisers-221058
Trump's foreign policy team baffles GOP experts
Republicans can't figure out the mogul's quirky mix of advisers.

By Michael Crowley
03/21/16

Donald Trump’s new lineup of little-known foreign policy advisers isn’t exactly assuaging concerns about the Manhattan real estate mogul’s readiness to be commander in chief.

Republican insiders were scratching their heads Monday at names Trump offered as sources of regular advice on national security. Several of those Trump cited during a visit to The Washington Post’s editorial board are complete unknowns; others have mixed reputations among GOP national security pros. One prominently cites his attendance at a model United Nations conference as a credential on his LinkedIn page; another has compared President Barack Obama’s official national security strategy to a document about slavery written in 1850.

“I don’t know any of them,” said Kori Schake, a research fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution and a former official in the George W. Bush State Department. “National security is hard to do well even with first-rate people. It’s almost impossible to do well with third-rate people.”

Befitting a candidate who has threatened to cut off Muslim immigration into the U.S. “until we figure out what the hell is going on,” Trump’s roster includes two Middle East analysts who view Islamic Sharia law within the U.S. as a dire threat — even though many conservatives consider the issue a fringe obsession.

[lots more]
The State is a body of armed men

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2016, 05:37:19 PM »
Drug abuse, alienation, despair - societal decay.

https://www.rt.com/usa/366138-harambe-vote-president-us/
Harambe for president: Thousands reportedly vote for dead gorilla
9 Nov, 2016

Harambe, a 17-year-old gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo. © Cincinnati Zoo / Reuters

Thousands of US voters reportedly cast their votes for a dead gorilla and a world famous cognac instead of Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton in the US presidential election.

An estimated 11,000 people reportedly wrote in ‘Harambe’ – the gorilla who was shot and killed by staff at Cincinnati Zoo in May when a toddler fell into his enclosure – as their preferred candidate to become the 45th President of the United States.

Over 11,000 people voted for Harambe. Harambe is a dead gorilla.
    Those 11,000 votes would have saved our country. #ElectionNight
    — David Leavitt (@David_Leavitt) November 9, 2016

Some of those guilty of spoiling their votes even took to Twitter to share an image of their ballots.

I voted for harambe #ElectionNight#myvote2016pic.twitter.com/ZsvugMbYyt
    — jack (@THOTJAI) November 9, 2016

Well, they may not have been my pick for President, but let it never be said that I left @smod2016, @kenbone18, or Harambe off of my ballot. pic.twitter.com/mntZrGq1GB
    — still gona b amnesty (@glossontech) November 8, 2016

@TheAnonnMessage not mine but i saw it om facebook pic.twitter.com/10hgDUno2g
    — Jeffrey Hernandez (@Mexicanabanana) November 9, 2016

I vote Harambe pic.twitter.com/H55mYNic0v
    — Robert Litten (@robertjlitten) November 8, 2016

Hennessy was also a popular alternative voter option, according to Twitter reports.

Harambe got 11,000. Hennessy got 13,000. That's 24,000 people. You gotta be 18+ to vote. That's 24,000 GROWN ass people lmao
    — Goatgeta (@CJSTR013) November 9, 2016

imagine registering to vote, driving to a polling location, waiting in line, and writing in harambe or hennessy on the ballot. as an adult.
    — rach (@rachaelhoops) November 9, 2016

Obama: Hillary
    Bernie: Hillary
    Beyoncé: Hillary
    Lady Gaga: Hillary
    The rest of the world: Hillary

Americans: Trump, Hennessy, Harambe...
    — Political Reactions (@PoliticalReactz) November 9, 2016

Although the reports have not been verified, the mere claim that thousands chose to ‘waste’ their vote sparked outrage online.

I've completely lost faith in my generation simply because around 17,000 people voted for harambe and Hennessy
    — I S A I A H + (@isaiahlimit) November 9, 2016

11,000 people voted for Harambe during the US elections?😂 I'm done pic.twitter.com/6I5k0TeGc0
    — JianHao F² Tan (@thejianhaotan) November 9, 2016

11,000 Americans voted for Harambe...they woke up, get dressed & voted for a dead animal. Trump is the least of some of your worries
    — Jack Mull (@J4CKMULL) November 9, 2016

Can't even cheer myself up from this extremely ignorant reality. 11k votes for Harambe 6k for Hennessy..this generation is a complete joke
    — Kaî (@KaiCrossMusic) November 9, 2016

16,400 votes went to harambe and Hennessy? Y'all need to grow up. so much is at stake and y'all choose to be stupid pic.twitter.com/jDpTgVx0MC
    — Allure🕊✨ (@Drebae_) November 9, 2016

In July, months before any votes were cast, Democratic polling firm Public Policy Polling had put support for Harambe at 5 percent – ahead of Green Party candidate Jill Stein. They said that the dead gorilla’s ratings drew level with Stein in August at 2 percent.

Just eight states did not allow space for write-ins in this year’s presidential election

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2016, 06:00:02 PM »
AG: Do you think Russian currency will strengthen now, or will the US oligarchs continue to try to undermine the Russian economy?

Obama is still in charge till January, so I don't expect policy on that to change soon.  Trump has made outbursts against Yellen, but I don't think he can sack her, can he? - do Fed Chairs ever resign on change of PotUS?

The rout in the stock market on the shock news led to the UST-10 bond yield rising 0.21% in a day! - that's on a value that the experts follow to six decimal places.  That suggests that there were a lot of forced sellers of stocks and buyers of bonds, that got scalped of course for being wrong.

Prediction: volatility ahead (hardly novel, I admit)

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/03/donald-trump-foreign-policy-advisers-221058
Trump's foreign policy team baffles GOP experts
Republicans can't figure out the mogul's quirky mix of advisers.

By Michael Crowley
03/21/16

Donald Trump’s new lineup of little-known foreign policy advisers isn’t exactly assuaging concerns about the Manhattan real estate mogul’s readiness to be commander in chief.

Republican insiders were scratching their heads Monday at names Trump offered as sources of regular advice on national security. Several of those Trump cited during a visit to The Washington Post’s editorial board are complete unknowns; others have mixed reputations among GOP national security pros. One prominently cites his attendance at a model United Nations conference as a credential on his LinkedIn page; another has compared President Barack Obama’s official national security strategy to a document about slavery written in 1850.

“I don’t know any of them,” said Kori Schake, a research fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution and a former official in the George W. Bush State Department. “National security is hard to do well even with first-rate people. It’s almost impossible to do well with third-rate people.”

Befitting a candidate who has threatened to cut off Muslim immigration into the U.S. “until we figure out what the hell is going on,” Trump’s roster includes two Middle East analysts who view Islamic Sharia law within the U.S. as a dire threat — even though many conservatives consider the issue a fringe obsession.

[lots more]

Thank you.   :emthup:

It now looks like more business as usual after the initial shock. We'll see.

Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline agelbert

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Renewable Rervolution
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2016, 06:09:03 PM »
Drug abuse, alienation, despair - societal decay.

https://www.rt.com/usa/366138-harambe-vote-president-us/
Harambe for president: Thousands reportedly vote for dead gorilla
9 Nov, 2016
Harambe, a 17-year-old gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo. © Cincinnati Zoo / Reuters

Thousands of US voters reportedly cast their votes for a dead gorilla and a world famous cognac instead of Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton in the US presidential election.

An estimated 11,000 people reportedly wrote in ‘Harambe’ – the gorilla who was shot and killed by staff at Cincinnati Zoo in May when a toddler fell into his enclosure – as their preferred candidate to become the 45th President of the United States.

Over 11,000 people voted for Harambe. Harambe is a dead gorilla.
    Those 11,000 votes would have saved our country. #ElectionNight
    — David Leavitt (@David_Leavitt) November 9, 2016

Some of those guilty of spoiling their votes even took to Twitter to share an image of their ballots.

I voted for harambe #ElectionNight#myvote2016pic.twitter.com/ZsvugMbYyt
    — jack (@THOTJAI) November 9, 2016

Well, they may not have been my pick for President, but let it never be said that I left @smod2016, @kenbone18, or Harambe off of my ballot. pic.twitter.com/mntZrGq1GB
    — still gona b amnesty (@glossontech) November 8, 2016

@TheAnonnMessage not mine but i saw it om facebook pic.twitter.com/10hgDUno2g
    — Jeffrey Hernandez (@Mexicanabanana) November 9, 2016

I vote Harambe pic.twitter.com/H55mYNic0v
    — Robert Litten (@robertjlitten) November 8, 2016

Hennessy was also a popular alternative voter option, according to Twitter reports.

Harambe got 11,000. Hennessy got 13,000. That's 24,000 people. You gotta be 18+ to vote. That's 24,000 GROWN ass people lmao
    — Goatgeta (@CJSTR013) November 9, 2016

imagine registering to vote, driving to a polling location, waiting in line, and writing in harambe or hennessy on the ballot. as an adult.
    — rach (@rachaelhoops) November 9, 2016

Obama: Hillary
    Bernie: Hillary
    Beyoncé: Hillary
    Lady Gaga: Hillary
    The rest of the world: Hillary

Americans: Trump, Hennessy, Harambe...
    — Political Reactions (@PoliticalReactz) November 9, 2016

Although the reports have not been verified, the mere claim that thousands chose to ‘waste’ their vote sparked outrage online.

I've completely lost faith in my generation simply because around 17,000 people voted for harambe and Hennessy
    — I S A I A H + (@isaiahlimit) November 9, 2016

11,000 people voted for Harambe during the US elections?😂 I'm done pic.twitter.com/6I5k0TeGc0
    — JianHao F² Tan (@thejianhaotan) November 9, 2016

11,000 Americans voted for Harambe...they woke up, get dressed & voted for a dead animal. Trump is the least of some of your worries
    — Jack Mull (@J4CKMULL) November 9, 2016

Can't even cheer myself up from this extremely ignorant reality. 11k votes for Harambe 6k for Hennessy..this generation is a complete joke
    — Kaî (@KaiCrossMusic) November 9, 2016

16,400 votes went to harambe and Hennessy? Y'all need to grow up. so much is at stake and y'all choose to be stupid pic.twitter.com/jDpTgVx0MC
    — Allure🕊✨ (@Drebae_) November 9, 2016

In July, months before any votes were cast, Democratic polling firm Public Policy Polling had put support for Harambe at 5 percent – ahead of Green Party candidate Jill Stein. They said that the dead gorilla'’s ratings drew level with Stein in August at 2 percent.

Just eight states did not allow space for write-ins in this year’'s presidential election

GOOD ONE!   :emthup: But frankly, I'm amazed that 11,000 fellow Americans can even spell Harambe, let alone remember to vote for him.  :icon_scratch:
Leges         Sine    Moribus      Vanae   
Faith,
if it has not works, is dead, being alone.

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2016, 06:15:02 PM »
The one fatal flaw in his argument is that it all depends on whether you believe what candidates say during election campaigns, or not.  When will they ever learn?

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/366110-trumps-victory-new-cold-war/
Trump shock victory: New Cold War no more?
Bryan MacDonald
9 Nov, 2016

Advocates of a New Cold War got a nasty surprise on Wednesday morning, when it became clear that Donald Trump would be America's next President. For the rest of us, it offers hope of US foreign policy changing for the better.

So, the unthinkable has happened. Donald Trump has won. And the so-called liberal world order, which has ruled almost unchallenged since the demise of the Soviet Union is probably toast.

There’s been enough talk already about the repercussions for America itself. So, here we will stick to external affairs. But there’s one important domestic proposal which greatly affects America’s global position. In his victory speech, Trump made a major point of emphasizing his desire to invest heavily in America’s decaying infrastructure. And there’s only one feasible way to fund such a plan - sharply cut military spending and foreign aid.
Thus, instead of flinging billions of American tax dollars around the Middle East, Asia and Europe, in what always amounted to bribing nations - or at least their elites - into friendship, Trump intends to bring a good deal of the money home. By any measure, this will amount to a geopolitical earthquake.

Take Syria, for instance, where Washington has plowed huge resources into promoting a “regime change” operation against its internationally recognized government. A policy that has helped to destabilize yet another Arab country. In Trump’s view, rather than challenging the government of Bashar Assad, the United States “should be working with Damascus against the Islamic State.” If he maintains this position, it will reverse years of wrongheaded thinking from his predecessor, Barack Obama.

And let’s not forget Ukraine, which continues to be embroiled in a semi-frozen civil war. The dogs on the street in Kiev know the Petro Poroshenko regime has postponed efforts at building a sustainable peace for one simple reason: the Chocolate King and his advisers were fully sure of a Clinton victory, thus giving them free rein to resume their assault on the breakaway eastern republics of Lugansk and Donbas. Now this dream may lie in tatters.

Whereas Obama insisted upon a sanctions program against Russia for its re-absorption of Crimea, Trump has said he would consider recognizing Moscow’s de-facto control of the peninsula. “The people of Crimea, from what I've heard, would rather be with Russia than where they were,” he said in July.

So, Kiev’s only option now could be to implement Minsk. Yet, that requires legislation that Poroshenko feels he can’t push through his parliament - such as granting semi-autonomy to the rebellious east and providing a pardon and amnesty to insurgents - which is jam-packed with radical nationalists. Furthermore, it’s telling that Trump refused to meet Poroshenko in New York in September at the United Nations General Assembly. In fact, the president-elect didn’t even acknowledge Kiev’s invitation. However, Poroshenko did sit down with Clinton, which no longer amounts to a hill of beans.
A Cold Front

Then there’s the Baltics. These countries have received an extraordinary deal over the past decade or more. What Washington has effectively said is this: “We’ll pay for your security, so long as you let us use you to annoy the Russians.”

What the NATO blanket has done for the Baltic elites is freed them from having to establish normal relations with Moscow and develop their own military; which of course requires both money and manpower in addition to political will and organization. Something they lack because they’ve failed to develop their economies to a sufficient level that the vast majority of their own youth would want to stay at home.

Trump may send them kicking and screaming into the real world. He’s suggested how the United States would not automatically defend NATO members unless they pay their own way. “You can’t forget the bills,” he told the New York Times.  “They have an obligation to make payments.” So far, only Estonia, the most relatively successful of three, shows any interest in doing that.

And this brings us to Russia. Let’s be clear here. Short of an actual shooting war, Moscow-Washington relations couldn’t be much worse than they are right now. Both foreign policy establishments are distrustful of each other and it’s clear that Obama and President Putin simply don’t get along. So, Trump’s talk of smoothing matters is truly ground breaking, assuming he follows through on it, of course.

On Wednesday morning, Putin said he looked forward to restoring normal bilateral relations with the United States. “We heard [Trump's] campaign rhetoric while [he was] still a candidate for the US presidency, which was focused on restoring the relations between Russia and the United States,” he said. “[I look forward to] building a constructive dialog between Moscow and Washington, based on principles of equality, mutual respect and each other's positions, [when it] meets the interests of the peoples of our countries and of the entire international community.”

For his part, Trump has spoken of tearing up years of animosity toward Moscow in Washington and working more closely with the Kremlin. He's also suggested the two countries could work together on fighting terror. He also described NATO as "obsolete" and Putin himself as a “leader.”

Naturally, this was used against him in the campaign, where Hillary’s supporters, seemingly unable to fight him on policy, eventually resorted to a smear campaign which labeled him a “Russian agent,”“Putin’s useful idiot”and a “Manchurian candidate.” There was even a website called “Putin-Trump,” complete with a hammer and sickle illustration in case anyone missed the point of the slander exercise.

This is all academic now because Trump has won. And the US establishment, and particularly the interventionist foreign policy bridge that did most to stoke up tension with Russia, has been dealt a crushing defeat.

Nevertheless, there are caveats. Firstly, the US has a deeply ingrained “deep state” and they won’t suddenly transform into Russia-loving peaceniks at the flick of a switch. It's also worth remembering how a Republican-controlled congress mightn't always do exactly what he wants, despite the party ties. After all, America’s founding fathers deliberately made executive power hard to apply.

And then there’s Trump's own unpredictability. On the fringes of Sochi’s Valdai conference last week, Russian officials made it clear that they were concerned how he might not deliver on his promises. “At least with Hillary we get the devil we know,” was a feeling expressed so often that it became a theme.

Despite these worries, Trump does offer one thing: the end of Washington insiders controlling the White House, for the first time since Ronald Reagan. In fact, the parallels with the latter are striking. He was also smeared by the establishment and derided as an idiot. But now Reagan is broadly regarded as a great statesman.

Maybe one day we will be able to say the same of Trump.

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2016, 06:23:30 PM »
But frankly, I'm amazed that 11,000 fellow Americans can even spell Harambe, let alone remember to vote for him.  :icon_scratch:

They probably were checking their Twitter feeds while they were waiting in line to vote, and made their "minds" up at the last minute, still laughing at the clever joke, which they could tweet on to their friends.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2016, 06:32:54 PM »
When will they ever learn?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZgXNVA9ngx8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ZgXNVA9ngx8</a>

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2016, 07:36:33 PM »
Palloy: The rout in the stock market on the shock news led to the UST-10 bond yield rising 0.21% in a day! - that's on a value that the experts follow to six decimal places. 

If fact selecting the intra-day low and high the rise was 0.36% in 14 hours !

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-09/trumpnado-sparks-bond-bloodbath-greatest-stock-market-rebound-2008-ppt-intervention

With Dow Futures scaling a stunning 2100 points (1000 down and 1100 up) intraday (to record highs)

The biggest percentage move in 10Y yields ever...

It looked a lot like Chinese selling...

=========

I think that looks like the Plunge Protection Team buying stocks (Dow Futures at least) to prevent a meltdown, while China selling UST-10s and converting into Yuan for repatriation - which is understandable given Trump's protectionist statements.

Offline Palloy

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2016, 08:00:31 PM »
Having an interesting conversation with myself here - I get a better standard of discussion that way.   :icon_sunny:

Palloy: Trump has made outbursts against Yellen, but I don't think he can sack her, can he? - do Fed Chairs ever resign on change of PotUS?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-09/will-trump-fire-janet-yellen-here-wall-streets-response
Will Trump Fire Janet Yellen? Here Is Wall Street's Response
Tyler Durden
Nov 9, 2016

One of the burning questions troubling Wall Street this morning, now that stocks have managed to successfully absorb last night's limit down selling and most recently were trading at highs of the day, is whether president elect Donald Trump plans on reshuffling the Fed, eliminating its so-called "independent" and perhaps going so far as firing or "requesting" Janet Yellen's resignation.

According to T. Rowe Price's chief economist, Alan Levenson, Trump's proposals "threaten to undermine global faith in the independence of the Federal Reserve and the geopolitical standing of the United States." Others, such as FBR's Edward Mills went further: "The future of Janet Yellen's chairmanship and the accommodative nature of Fed monetary policy are in doubt." Deutsche Bank strategist George Saravelos had a similar view: "the market will be looking for confirmation that Chair Yellen will not resign. Trump has been particularly critical of her term so policy continuity will be particularly important."

So to answer the question whether or not Yellen's role is in jeopardy, we went to the two most authoritative sources available: the two biggest and most influential US banks: JPMorgan and Goldman Sachs. In a note written on November 7, before Trump's election, JPM's chief economist Michael Feroli asked "If Trump wins would Yellen leave?" and answered: "In a word: no."

He added that while Trump has grown increasingly critical of Fed Chair Yellen, "her term as Chair does not expire until early February 2018, and her term as Governor extends to January 2024. The Federal Reserve Act only permits the President to remove a Governor “for cause” and historically this authority has never been abused by the President. For example, even Nixon did not try to remove Chairman Martin in the 1968-1970 period, even though he believed Martin’s monetary policy may have cost him the 1960 Presidential election."

He then lays out another theory that Yellen would resign if Trump were elected. JPM says that it sees "no historical precedent for this. In contrast, there are plenty of precedents for a Chair appointed by a President from one party to continue serving under a President from the opposite party. In fact, since the Treasury-Fed Accord of 1951, every Fed Chair has served under Presidents from both parties, except for Yellen (so far) and the luckless G. William Miller. Moreover, we don’t see a rationale for the apparently Democratic Yellen to give President Trump even more influence over the course of monetary and regulatory policy by immediately stepping down. That said, we doubt she would stay on as Governor even after her term as Chair expires. While this is legally possible, every Chair since Eccles left the Board after their term as Chair ended."

And then there is Jan Hatzius, Goldman's chief economist, who also in a note from the day prior to the election asked "will Janet Yellen continue to serve as Fed Chair after the election?" Here is his response:

Yes, at least until her term ends in February 2018. Chair Yellen was appointed by President Obama to a four-year term ending February 3, 2018 (and simultaneously to a term as member of the Board of Governors ending in 2024). In contrast to some reports, past Fed chairmen have not customarily offered their resignations to newly elected presidents. For example, according to his memoirs, former Chairman Bernanke deliberated whether he would accept a reappointment, but never offered to resign. Similarly, Alan Greenspan was apparently unsure about his prospects for reappointment under President Clinton because, as he put it, Clinton “was a Democrat and no doubt wanted one of his own.” But he does not seem to have considered resigning.

In earlier years, Fed chairmen sometimes resigned their post, or at least offered to do so. Paul Volcker considered resigning after famously losing a vote to change the discount rate in 1986, but ultimately decided against it. Upon reappointment by President Reagan, Volcker indicated that he planned to serve only two years of his four year term, but in fact offered his resignation just two months before his term expired. William McChesney Martin—Board Chairman from 1951-1970—offered to resign when President Eisenhower was elected, because he was a Democrat and Eisenhower was a Republican; the new president asked Martin to stay on as chairman. Martin made no offer to resign after the next four presidential elections, and in fact made a point of not resigning in 1960 after then-Senator Kennedy criticized the conduct of monetary policy while on the campaign trail.

Thus, while there is some precedent for the Fed chairman to resign upon a new president taking office, it looks more the exception than the rule, and has been uncommon in modern Fed history. In any case, we think Chair Yellen is very likely to serve out her full term, regardless of who wins the election.

In other words, at least when it comes to Wall Street, i.e., those who indirectly instruct the Fed what to do through their governorships, Yellen is safe. Then again, it was the same Wall Street experts of whom not a single one correctly predicted a Trump victory. Which is why one had to go off Wall Street forecasts, we would certainly be concerned about the tenure of Janet Yellen, and certainly pay close attention to what Trump says on the topic during his next media appearance.