AuthorTopic: Private Property Myths & Legends  (Read 7278 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Private Property Myths & Legends
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »
And the utilities, and all the maintenance on the property and the house. 

Yet for the small island of freedom it gives me while I am vertical it is worth it.

Shit!!!  I have property to...almost four acres.  Guess what, the city is fucking us over on that one.  We had a well and septic...then the house burned down.  Apparently we had 180 days to rebuild before we lost the grandfather status on those things.  Now we need city water and sewer.  Water will cost about 4 grand and here's the best part...sewer...can't even get it done.  Our two options for sewer are to convince those abutting our property to allow us to tear up their fuckin' lawns so we can hook up onto the existing city sewer infrastructure. 

We're zoned residential and the only options we have are either stick built or modular.  They will allow no other dwelling type to be lived in on the property.  Never mind that there is a trailer park with probably over 100 trailers not more than a couple of foot ball fields away from our location.  We're also in the city, landlocked by a business that is in front of us, on main street, that is in the county.  How does that happen?

We went to a meeting with the city officials last week to see what our options are.  They said they would not rezone so that I could have a bamboo nursery because "it would make their job more difficult."  So basically we have 4 acres in the city that we can do nothing with and nobody is going to buy it.  Oh, and our property taxes went up about $600 dollars because the house burned down.  So now I have a $1500 dollar per year tax burden as well as the liability of being 70 miles away from this property. 

If the god damned city officials would get out of the way and let us inhabit our "property" than I wouldn't have this problem.  There is a 600 sqft stick built garage still standing.  We could easily add on to it and live there.  But the bureaucracy will not allow it.  It means nothing to own property.  At best, you are only ever renting it from the government.

I am not a lawyer by an means Lucid, but have a very strong and potent vibe that you are being fucked with by someone who wishes to steal your land on the cheap.

My advise to yo would be to try and seek out a free legal aid society in your area. Such organizations exist to help the poor or broke with legal aid who are being bullied by pricks as the one's mentioned in your posting.

They are usually run by legal schools or colleges and on rare occasion as a community service by major legal firms as a community service type of advertising. Slim hope, I agree but worth a thorough computer search for sure.

You and Gypsy Mama might be able to come up with a smart young kid going to law school with some luck.

Sorry, I realize it's a long shot, but the best advise I can give and it will cost you nothing but some time searching on the net.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiG8rWC0abQAhUs_4MKHXoZCnAQFggiMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.legal-aid.org%2Fen%2Flas%2Faboutus%2Flegalaidsocietyfaq.aspx&usg=AFQjCNGeQqWsAH2-AtlOnqHxk-5gdhMTLA                                                                                                                   Good Luck,  GO

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 01:05:29 PM »

Having to hook up to the city sewer is a bitch.  I'd guess you'd be looking at a $20 K bill for that.  As far as the neighbors go, having their lawns ripped up to run pipe for city sewer?  There is nothing they can do about that.  If you have the cash to lay the pipe you can't be stopped.  In your case all your contractor would have to do is file the paperwork and the city will give the neighbors notice.

Your neighbors are not alone but sewer pipes rarely explode so you are doing nothing wrong in having sewer pipe run to your property.  Something which is quite different from this situation.

because:

They do explode and they actually do it rather frequently.

We'd be lucky if it were only 20 grand, but that's probably in the neighborhood for sewer.  It's 2 grand just to get the meter on the street for water, then we'd have to pay a plumber to run about 200 feet from the street to the house site (which I haven't even looked into because we don't have the money).  Before it was an awesome sale because we had septic and well and a two car garage.  All somebody had to do was have a house or modular built.  Now a potential buyer will have to pay let's say 25 grand just for utilities.  Plus they have to pay for the land and the house.  We've had three deals fall through on account of an easement issue (which we've since resolved).  The last one offered 50 grand and then walked when the city planner told them they'd have to hook up to city water and sewer.  The city planner also told us that we'd need to get an easement from the neighbors, and they said lacking that they couldn't even guarantee that getting sewer was even a possibility. 

We don't even have the money to pay the damn property taxes, much less fool with the utilities or build anything. 

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 01:19:14 PM »

If you can't do anything with the property and you can't sell it, then just donate it to the city for a park, and take the value of the donation as a tax deduction.

RE

well I'm thinking of just lowering the price down to like 20 grand and hoping that some investor may bite.  It's less than 30 minutes from Charlotte.  Somebody with enough money could grease the rock hill bureacracy wheels and get the zoning changed so that they could build another subdivision (there is already a subdivision bordering the property).  The problem is that we can't afford the property taxes (well at least the immediate problem). 

Life's not fair.  That's the lesson to be learned.  And there is no room for idealism as well.  Idealism is a waste of time and energy.  You have to be able to afford to be ideal...otherwise you need money.

Sell the property for appraised value( other lots in area in the last 6 mos.) & carry the note. 8% interest, balloon due in 10-15 yrs. Down needs to be closing costs plus your time & trouble,
usually 5 benjamins minimum. Market on Craigs list & college classifieds. Put the hook to a millennial.
Go to Staples or an office supply & buy the land contract package. If you need help filling out the contract, one of the
nice gals at the title office can help. They want your bizness.
Should be a slam dunk. I won't charge you for my services bro.  Good luck  :icon_sunny:

Not a bad plan, given the circumstances.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »

I am not a lawyer by an means Lucid, but have a very strong and potent vibe that you are being fucked with by someone who wishes to steal your land on the cheap.

My advise to yo would be to try and seek out a free legal aid society in your area. Such organizations exist to help the poor or broke with legal aid who are being bullied by pricks as the one's mentioned in your posting.

They are usually run by legal schools or colleges and on rare occasion as a community service by major legal firms as a community service type of advertising. Slim hope, I agree but worth a thorough computer search for sure.

You and Gypsy Mama might be able to come up with a smart young kid going to law school with some luck.

Sorry, I realize it's a long shot, but the best advise I can give and it will cost you nothing but some time searching on the net.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwiG8rWC0abQAhUs_4MKHXoZCnAQFggiMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.legal-aid.org%2Fen%2Flas%2Faboutus%2Flegalaidsocietyfaq.aspx&usg=AFQjCNGeQqWsAH2-AtlOnqHxk-5gdhMTLA                                                                                                                   Good Luck,  GO

GM managed to get us a good ole boy lawyer in the area that went to bat for us for nothing on account of her connections in Inman.  They changed their tune and we were supposed to get what we wanted, but that resulted in them saying "well you can keep the septic but you have to get it inspected by DHEC," which is code for we can waste some more money with DHEC and they can just tell us we can't use the septic.  But with water they were unmoving.  Same with rezoning so that I could have a bamboo nursery.  Although one of the officials said we could grow bamboo, "but you can't sell it to anybody...but how would we know if you did?"  Then one of the other ass holes said "yeah, but you'd have to have a panda if you did that."  But they won't hook electricity up so that I can use the well to irrigate the bamboo so what's the point?  Bamboo does not thrive in a drought without being irrigated...it just survives and you can't run a bamboo business on just surviving.  You need thriving. 

Yeah, we are being fucked with by the city.  We asked if the city would be interested in the land since their zoning and ordinances are pretty much making it useless to us or anybody else.  They were quick to say "no, the city isn't putting any  money into parks right now." 

As far as selling the land to a millennial goes while caring the note...that would be great if there were already a house on the site.  What millennial is going to buy land they can do nothing with? 

And that lawyer that went to bat for us...yeah he said there wasn't a snow balls chance in hell of getting rezoned.  The planner said they wouldn't rezone us because they we could have "cows, and goats and chickens, and then the neighbors would all start complaining and that would make my job much more difficult." 

So what we have is a business that is actually a warehouse that is in front of our property off of main street that is in the county.  A trailer park with more than 100 trailers just down the road that is literally across the driveway (which by the way was the reason we were landlocked).  A subdivision on one side and then a ghetto neighborhood on another.  Yet we can't live on the land in anything but new construction and we can't use it for a business or agricultural. 

Literally the only thing we can do with that four acres is to build a house or buy a modular.  And we own the property!   :multiplespotting:

:WTF:

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 01:26:10 PM »
You have detailed all the reasons why I would never buy anything other than raw hunting land with no building codes where you can set up a tent.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 01:26:34 PM »

Sell the property for appraised value( other lots in area in the last 6 mos.) & carry the note. 8% interest, balloon due in 10-15 yrs. Down needs to be closing costs plus your time & trouble,
usually 5 benjamins minimum. Market on Craigs list & college classifieds. Put the hook to a millennial.
Go to Staples or an office supply & buy the land contract package. If you need help filling out the contract, one of the
Should be a slam dunk. I won't charge you for my services bro.  Good luck  :icon_sunny:

Maybe you can explain what you are talking about a little differently because I'm slightly confused by this?  You're saying sale the land as a rent to own situation?  Eddie says it's a good idea, so I must not understand it.  Who's going to buy the land unless they've got the money to build on it?  One of our deals fell through because they were from out of town and they had to finance both the land and the house they wanted to build.  The bank wouldn't finance the land, only the house. 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »

Maybe you can explain what you are talking about a little differently because I'm slightly confused by this?  You're saying sale the land as a rent to own situation?  Eddie says it's a good idea, so I must not understand it.  Who's going to buy the land unless they've got the money to build on it?  One of our deals fell through because they were from out of town and they had to finance both the land and the house they wanted to build.  The bank wouldn't finance the land, only the house.

Nobody in their right mind would buy this property without a house you can live in on it, or with enough money to have it subdivided and build several houses for sale or rent.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 01:36:34 PM »

Sorry Lucid, I tried.  :exp-undecided:

Hope you can at least understand now why I am a Libertarian.

You are living proof of what an oppressive mindless overblown disgrace government has become.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 01:39:12 PM »

Yet for the small island of freedom it gives me while I am vertical it is worth it.

Shit!!!  I have property to...almost four acres.  Guess what, the city is fucking us over on that one.  We had a well and septic...then the house burned down.  Apparently we had 180 days to rebuild before we lost the grandfather status on those things. 

Gotta say Aaron, that sounds like someone not being familiar with the rules that are probably written right there in the code somewhere. The city following the rules isn't fucking you, you not knowing the rules is fucking you.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Online azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »
You have detailed all the reasons why I would never buy anything other than raw hunting land with no building codes where you can set up a tent.

RE

You & I fell from the same tree on this matter.
I own "THE RIGHT" to a 20 ac. mountain top loaded with complex ore.
I can squat 90 days on 90 days off indefinitely.... $280 a year to the BLM/ Az. Dept. of Mines
Best deal in "aMERIKA" .... Anybody can do this, 18 & a citizen ....
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 01:45:34 PM »

Shit!!!  I have property to...almost four acres.  Guess what, the city is fucking us over on that one.  We had a well and septic...then the house burned down.  Apparently we had 180 days to rebuild before we lost the grandfather status on those things. 

Gotta say Aaron, that sounds like someone not being familiar with the rules that are probably written right there in the code somewhere. The city following the rules isn't fucking you, you not knowing the rules is fucking you.

I approved your comment so that I could reply to it...against my better judgment.  What fucking rules am I ignorant to?  We had a house, it fucking burned to the ground as renters were moving in.  How would knowing the rules have prevented that? 

Offline luciddreams

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Epiphany Now
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 01:48:57 PM »

Sorry Lucid, I tried.  :exp-undecided:

Hope you can at least understand now why I am a Libertarian.

You are living proof of what an oppressive mindless overblown disgrace government has become.

Nice comic!

Yeah, I can get behind liberatarianism.  I liked what I heard Gary Johnson saying, and I voted for Ron Paul in 2008 (I also campaigned for him). 

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 01:50:20 PM »
Another Brainstorm!  :icon_sunny:

How about subdividing up the garage and renting out Storage Units to the people in the trailer park next door?  If you subdivided to 4 units and rented them for $50/mo each, that would be $2400/year and would pay the property taxes!

Then you would also have a going bizness and could get a loan to build more storage units!  4 acres is plenty for a big storage unit complex!  The propert would be the collateral for the loan, and you own it free & clear!

Eddie is the expert on storage units, so his input on the idea would be good.

RE

Save As Many As You Can

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2016, 01:55:06 PM »
What are the myths people believe that isn't true? I never identified any of that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:09:26 PM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »
What are the myths people believe that isn't true? I never identified any of that.  The title and introduction are not covered in the conclusion.

The Myth is that there is "Private Property".  There is not.  It all belongs to Da Goobermint of whatever nation-state you live in.  If it's a Monarchy, it all belongs to Her Majesty, the Queen.  You pay your taxes to rent the land from Da Goobermint.

The Legends are what people believe to be true, that "A Man's Home is his Castle" and that you can do WTF you want on your "own" property.  You cannot, Da Goobermint tells you what you are allowed to do with it.

IMHO this was fairly obvious in the text, but I guess you just didn't get it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can