AuthorTopic: A Collapse Thanksgiving  (Read 746 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
A Collapse Thanksgiving
« on: November 24, 2016, 02:35:29 AM »

youtube-Logo-4gc2reddit-logoOff the keyboard of RE

Follow us on Twitter @doomstead666

Friend us on Facebook

Published on The Doomstead Diner on November 24, 2016

turkey

Discuss this article at the Diner Pantry inside the Diner

Another Thanksgiving has arrived and the consumption of Mass Quantities of food will occur again today here in the FSoA.  Even the Homeless will FEAST today at numerous Salvation Army and Church Dinners with the Traditional Menu of 3 Slices of Butterball Turkey Breast, Stouffer's Stuffing, McCormick Gravy, Mashed Ore-Ida Dried Potatoes, Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry Sauce and a String Bean casserole prepared from Green Giant green beans with French's fried Onions layered on top.  All kept nice and toasty warm on the Reynolds Aluminum steamer trays heated with Sterno cooking fuel.

http://media.jrn.com/images/496982_3287506_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

The serving crew will be all the wives of the well-to-do who come out twice a year to fulfill their civic duty of helping the poor and building up the necessary Brownie Points for making it into Heaven.

I'm seriously tempted to go out tomorrow to one of these Church sponsored Feasts myself to sample the tasteless delights of the industrially manufactured foods served up to the poor for Thanksgiving.  I'm relatively poor AND I'm disabled, so I qualify!  However, I doubt I could down much of the food considering my appetite is so diminished these days, and then add to that the depressing nature of eating amongst the mixture of Valley Trash and well-meaning Church Ladies!

http://coolspotters.com/files/photos/1064965/subway-five-dollar-foot-long-turkey-breast-sub-profile.jpg So my current plan for Turkey Day is to head over to Subway for a Turkey Club Footlong, which I will have the fast food jockey cut into 3 parts so I can have 3 days of Turkey with the leftovers, as is also Traditional.  If I go out to the Salvation Army, I won't have leftovers!  The only thing missing is I won't have the carcass and giblets and neck to boil up into Turkey Matsoh Ball soup.

I am a little disappointed I don't have family to cook for this year, because I just learned about the new Thermodynamically efficient method for Turkey preparation called "Spatchcocking". To spatchcock, you cut out the spine of the bird and then flatten it out for baking. According to the Spatchcocking pro in the video, you get a juicier Turkey with crisper and more tasty skin in much faster time if you spatchcock.  The round shape is supposedly too inefficient.

Now, I'm not sure this is true for a few reasons.  First of all, this is not really different from taking a whole quartered chicken and baking it, and I've never found baking chicken to be better or juicier than roasting a whole chicken.  Second, although a Turkey is generally "round" in shape, the interior is hollow, at least until you fill it with Stuffing.  "In the bird" stuffing is always tastier than stuffing prepared in a baking dish, so you're sacrificing the really good stuffing if you elect to spatchcock.

https://d1alt1wkdk73qo.cloudfront.net/images/guide/9338be6ff844420d95408b0b18f541b2/478x640_ac.jpg Then you can use those tricky methods like stuffing a beer can up the Turkey's Ass to add moisture and hops and barley flavoring coming from the inside out, which you can't do if you spatchcock the bird.  Far as getting all the Skin to be nice and crispy and subject to the "Maillard reaction", the ideal method there would be to broil the Turkey in a large Westinghouse or GE Rotisserie Oven, which granted though most people do not have.  Small rotisseries for chickens are common, but for home use I've never seen one robust enough to handle anything but the smallest Turkey, certainly not a large enough one to feed a dozen drunk relatives.

Another method that gained some popularity for a while was to Deep Fry your Turkey in Wesson Vegetable Oil outside on a Coleman Burner in a very large Farberware Stock Pot forged in China big enough to fit the Butterball turkey, along with all the gallons of Boiling Wesson Oil you need to sink the thing into.  I had one Thanksgiving Turkey dinner prepared this way when I first came up here, I think it was right after the Financial Collapse in November of 2008.  It was over at my ex-employer's daughter's house, who was also my Dance coach.  I was not impressed with this cooking method for Turkey at all.  First off it definitely was not Juicier than traditional Roasting, the skin was awful and on top of all that what a fucking WASTE of cooking oil! Maybe if you ran a commercial operation Deep Frying Butterball Turkeys every day and could reuse the Wesson Oil this would be efficient, but even after cooking just ONE Turkey in it it is useless for any other cooking!  About the only thing it might be useful for after that would be to convert it to Diesel to run your recently recalled Volkswagen Diesel Beetle!  Few people do that of course, so all the oil gets dumped down into the Septic, on the way clogging up your drain with rancid smelling gunk, which you then need to call the Roto-Rooter people to clear out.  This keeps the post-Thanksgiving Day economy moving.

Deep Frying a Turkey also presents some danger for Darwin Award winners who drop a FROZEN Butterball Turkey into Boiling Hot Wesson Oil.  Said turkey has so much frozen moisture inside it will promptly EXPLODE, completely ruining Thanksgiving Dinner and sending the Darwin Award Winner to the hospital on the local Meat Wagon staffed by underpaid EMTs, if he/she is fortunate enough to survive the shrapnel from the Farberware Stock Pot and 3rd degree burns from the Wesson Cooking Oil.

deep-fried-turkey

With all these considerations in mind, to me the best home Butterball Turkey you can present to your drunken relatives is a traditional and standard Roasting in a properly sized Granite Ware Roasting Pan for the Turkey you cook available for the Low, Low Price Every Day of $12.95 at Walmart.  There is little danger of Death and Destruction from a Butterball Turkey EXPLOSION if you drop it in the oven still frozen, although you and your drunken relatives may die from Salmonella poisoining in the aftermath of your celebration of Food Cornucopia courtesy of Monsanto and ConAgra.

http://www.farmsanctuary.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/pigs15_300_1.jpg In addition to the Butterball Turkey itself stuffed with Stouffer's Stuffing, I suggest as well Jimmy Dean Sausage from the local factory Pig Farm added to your stuffing mix which adds a lot of JUICY FAT to your turkey and makes both the turkey and the stuffing much more moist and tasty.  Also, in with the Turkey to fill up the rest of the Granite Ware Roasting Pan from Walmart, add FRESH Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, and Onions.  You can get those from your Permaculture Garden, Raised Beds or Hydroponics set-up.  Or just buy them in the produce section at Safeway recently shipped up from Mexico by COSCO if you're not a Prepper.  A little brown sugar shipped up from the sugar cane fields in Brazil glazes over and caramelizes these root veggies nicely, but don't over-do it.

Your Butterball Turkey coming out of your Westinghouse Oven will present well, most of the upper surface nice and crispy and Malleardized, although the bottom portion will be kind of soggy with all the grease and not so tasty.  Once presented on the table in full form and allowed to cool, your carving choices depend on your own skill with dismembering the bird and how much physical work you want to do.  Manual Carvers might choose Henckel's Stainless Steel knives, which used to be forged in Germany but now come from China because steel is way cheaper there.  If you want to do a little less work, you can use a Hamilton Beach Electric Carving Knife, also now produced in China.  I originally did everything manual, but the electric carving knives make nicer more uniform slices, so I eventually moved to doing dismembering manually, then slicing with an electric for the family feast.

Matzoh_Ball_SoupAfter everyone is finished gorging themselves, take whatever good meat is still left on the carcass or on plates of unfinished food because your relatives had eyes bigger than the stomach and chop up to make a Turkey Salad to eat all week for lunch sandwiches.  Take all the bones and giblets and throw in a big pot or Rival Slow Cooker and simmer overnight to get a nice Turkey Broth to use for Matzoh Ball, Wanton, or Dumpling Turkey Soup, which you can add to your Turkey Salad Lunches.

By the end of the week, you will be sick and tired of Turkey and will not want to even LOOK at another Turkey again until the next Thanksgiving.  That's why Christmas Dinner should NEVER be Turkey, but instead you should go witha Honey Baked Ham nicely spiral sliced on their machines, even though they are FUCKING EXPENSIVE!  Saves a lot of work though, and they do a real good job on the hams so Christmas Dinner is not nearly as time consuming as Thanksgiving.  If you do feel like cook-it-yourself for Christmas dinner, a Prime Rib Roast is a nice choice here, delivered straight to your local Safeway from the Feedlots in Chicago.

http://beefmagazine.com/site-files/beefmagazine.com/files/uploads/2013/07/feedlot-cattle-eating.jpg

I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving enjoying another year of Food Cornucopia here in the FSoA.  Rich or Poor here today, you are likely to be stuffed with more Industrially produced food than you can possibly eat, and will have serious problems getting into your pants on Black Friday to go out and do battle with the other shoppers looking for Bargains on Chinese Toys for Christmas.

http://media.coolweirdo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/People-fighting-over-TVs-during-Black-Friday.jpg

SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A Collapse Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 03:29:34 AM »
And to think it all started with a group of indigenous folks saving Uncle Crackers ass through a harsh
November snow storm....

Thanks RE,
Nice job  :emthup:  :icon_mrgreen:   :icon_sunny:
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 06:17:32 AM »

Another method that gained some popularity for a while was to Deep Fry your Turkey in Wesson Vegetable Oil outside on a Coleman Burner in a very large Farberware Stock Pot forged in China big enough to fit the Butterball turkey, along with all the gallons of Boiling Wesson Oil you need to sink the thing into. I had one Thanksgiving Turkey dinner prepared this way when I first came up here, I think it was right after the Financial Collapse in November of 2008. It was over at my ex-employer's daughter's house, who was also my Dance coach. I was not impressed with this cooking method for Turkey at all. First off it definitely was not Juicier than traditional Roasting, the skin was awful and on top of all that what a fucking WASTE of cooking oil! Maybe if you ran a commercial operation Deep Frying Butterball Turkeys every day and could reuse the Wesson Oil this would be efficient, but even after cooking just ONE Turkey in it it is useless for any other cooking! About the only thing it might be useful for after that would be to convert it to Diesel to run your recently recalled Volkswagen Diesel Beetle! Few people do that of course, so all the oil gets dumped down into the Septic, on the way clogging up your drain with rancid smelling gunk, which you then need to call the Roto-Rooter people to clear out. This keeps the post-Thanksgiving Day economy moving.

Deep Frying a Turkey also presents some danger for Darwin Award winners who drop a FROZEN Butterball Turkey into Boiling Hot Wesson Oil. Said turkey has so much frozen moisture inside it will promptly EXPLODE, completely ruining Thanksgiving Dinner and sending the Darwin Award Winner to the hospital on the local Meat Wagon staffed by underpaid EMTs, if he/she is fortunate enough to survive the shrapnel from the Farberware Stock Pot and 3rd degree burns from the Wesson Cooking Oil.

deep-fried-turkey

I have actually committed this deed of deep frying a turkey twice. My mileage varied from yours. The turkey skin was crisp, the meat sumptuously moist, and the carcass picked clean by enthusiastic guests. And I mean carrion-bird clean. Great successes.

But the waste is unconscionable. What do you do with the Wesson oil? One's best practice is to funnel it back into its five gallon container and dispose of that however your municipality allows. But what a waste.

You can only buy a bird so large because it has to fit in the Stock Pot, less than 20 pounds as I recall. But the good news is that it cooks in about 45 minutes. By the time you purchase the pot and propane rig, fill the tank, buy the bird and cooking oil, your bird probably costs $5-6 bucks a pound. Better off with a Jennie-O in a bag. The rig is at least good for frying chicken wings, with far less waste.

And it has been some years, but I do believe that most of the instructions associated with this process stress the importance of FRESH and THAWED turkeys for deep-frying, precisely to avoid the shrapnel-like pyrotechnics you describe. But Darwin award winners self-nominate ever year, and no Thanksgiving is complete without a news story or two about someone who burnt down their back porch or car port via deep-fat combustion.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 09:27:37 AM »

I have actually committed this deed of deep frying a turkey twice. My mileage varied from yours. The turkey skin was crisp, the meat sumptuously moist, and the carcass picked clean by enthusiastic guests. And I mean carrion-bird clean. Great successes.

But the waste is unconscionable. What do you do with the Wesson oil? One's best practice is to funnel it back into its five gallon container and dispose of that however your municipality allows. But what a waste.

You can only buy a bird so large because it has to fit in the Stock Pot, less than 20 pounds as I recall. But the good news is that it cooks in about 45 minutes. By the time you purchase the pot and propane rig, fill the tank, buy the bird and cooking oil, your bird probably costs $5-6 bucks a pound. Better off with a Jennie-O in a bag. The rig is at least good for frying chicken wings, with far less waste.

And it has been some years, but I do believe that most of the instructions associated with this process stress the importance of FRESH and THAWED turkeys for deep-frying, precisely to avoid the shrapnel-like pyrotechnics you describe. But Darwin award winners self-nominate ever year, and no Thanksgiving is complete without a news story or two about someone who burnt down their back porch or car port via deep-fat combustion.

I think it was the first year they used the deep fryer, and I think he probably over-cooked the bird.

For disposing of the Oil, you could get an Oil Lamp at Costco and use it for light out on the porch.  It probably would take all year burning the lamp at night though to burn off all that oil.

One method I've never tried would smoking the Butterball.  I like Smoked Turkey cold cuts the best, so this would be worth trying.  You could fit even a pretty large bird into a Masterbilt Electric Smoker.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A Collapse Thanksgiving: NYPD brings Vapor Dogs & Assault Rifles to the Parade
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/sand-trucks-vapor-dogs-guard-macy-s-thanksgiving-day-parade-n687406

Sand Trucks and Vapor Dogs Guard Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

by Stephanie Gosk, Tom Winter and Tracy Connor
[New York Mayor: No Evidence of Credible Threat Against Parade]
New York Mayor: No Evidence of Credible Threat Against Parade 0:48

When the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade steps off Thursday morning, a balloon dubbed Trixie the Dog will bounce above a crowd of 3.5 million wide-eyed New Yorkers and tourists.

On the jammed streets down below, eight real dogs will be hard at work keeping the crowds safe by using their ultra-sensitive noses to sniff out the merest whiff of explosives.

They're called "vapor wake" dogs and they're a key part of the NYPD's sweeping plan to make sure the worst thing that happens on Thanksgiving is an overcooked turkey.
[ISIS Calls Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 'an Excellent Target']
ISIS Calls Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade 'an Excellent Target' 1:40

"Those dogs work on the displacement of air past your body, so I would smell your perfume or cologne, and the dog would smell the explosives emanating from one's body," said Chief Jim Waters, head of the department's counterterrorism operation.

"So as opposed to walking up to a package and sniffing the package, they can work a large crowd area by just having the right wind direction."

The Labradors are a new piece of a massive anti-terror effort that includes unprecedented precautions.

For the first time, every cross street along the parade route will be blocked off, extra insurance that a vehicle cannot be used to attack the crowds as in the deadly July assault in Nice, France. Eighty-two sanitation trucks filled with as much as 16 tons of sand will serve as barriers, police said.
Image: File photo of members of the New York Police Department's Emergency Service Unit standing guard before the 89th Macy
Members of the New York Police Department's Emergency Service Unit stand guard at last year's parade. There will be even more security this year. ANDREW KELLY / Reuters

This is also the first year that the NYPD's fully trained Critical Response Command will be working the parade, its elite officers armed with long guns and a year of intense drilling.

There are more than 500 officers in the command, a fraction of the 3,000 cops who are assigned to the parade detail. Radiation detectors, police helicopters and a fairly large plain-clothes officers component will also be present.

"This year we're going to see a bit more of a robust counterterrorism presence," Waters told NBC News.

"There's been a lot of rhetoric and propaganda from ISIL (ISIS) and from al-Qaeda recently...and we don't take any chances here in New York City."

Related: ISIS Supporter Talked About Times Square, Feds Say

In a press conference Wednesday, New York Mayor Bill DeBlasio said the extra security does not have to do with the election, but because of international worries ó though officials have stressed there is no specific, credible threat against the parade.

Desire for increased security came earlier this month when ISIS urged its supporters in the West to use rented trucks in Nice-style attacks and wrote in its English-language magazine that the parade would be "an excellent target."

But NYPD Commissioner James O'Neill remained more than confident that the city's police force had safely secured the area and encouraged New Yorkers to attend the parade.

"Come to the event," he said. "This is what the NYPD does. We get paid to keep people safe, and we'll keep people safe tomorrow.
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
A Collapse Thanksgiving: A Turkey-Free Thanksgiving
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 02:21:37 PM »
Not Free Turkey, TURKEY-FREE!

I went over to Subway to buy a Turkey Hero, but they were closed.  :(  I debated going into 3 Bears to buy a Turkey TV Dinner, but decided against it since I have tons of leftovers in the fridge anyhow and not much appetite.  I'll probably go with a slice of Pizza for Thanksgiving dinner.

Thankfully this year nobody invited me over to their family celebrations.  Last year I was still maintaining enough IRL friends that I still was getting phone calls to come over, but I refused them for the second year in a row and those folks have finally given up.

Aside from the fact I enjoyed cooking the bird and doing the carving job, I hated just about everything else about Thanksgiving.  I couldn't stand the relatives we always had over for one thing.  I liked Christmas a little better, I've always enjoyed giving presents, much more than getting presents except buying them for myself.  Mostly people didn't buy me what I actually wanted so I always preferred to get money so I could shop for myself.  I also enjoyed decorating the tree, since we always bought a real tree, not a fake plastic one.  Made the house smell nice too.

It's a real relief now not having to participate in this gargantuan exercise in waste and fake family togetherness, which happens twice a year here.  OK, 3 times if you include the July 4th BBQs.  The rest of the year, nobody sees each other or talks to each other, they're all too bizzy with their own jobs, the kids are at school or activities, and siblings often move far away from each other, even if they actually liked each other growing up.

Now all I have to do is decide what ammendations to put on my Pizza?  Maybe Hearts of Palm and Anchovies?

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 09:10:17 PM »
No paternity testing reqd, kid got dads asshole gene.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TUCUsNx1HTs
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:36:20 AM by Uncle Bob »
ELEVATE YOUR GAME