AuthorTopic: 55  (Read 7763 times)

Offline roamer

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
Re: 55
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2012, 04:41:27 PM »
RE,
Happy belated B-Day but yikes sounds like you are staring down a lot on your 55th B-Day.  Don't write off your work on DD'er too soon....wish I could do something to help.  Been thinking about being a doom prep dummy, for example just went on a good long walkbout and realized I could be doing a doom prep videos, info ect....Damn busy though keeping my ass afloat on a new job in the belly of the beast though. Will see though will have more keyboard time once winter rolls around.

Offline Kilmoon

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 05:34:55 PM »
Agelbert - I'm gonna reply here as that 'sexual dimorphism and power relationships' article seems to be blocked or moved to me. First, wow lots of thoughts there about how we all interact...and I agree with it. Loved your conclusion that the 99% won't change until the 1% do, because irrespective of how or why the 1% rule that is the nub of the argument.  To put another way, I've met people who basically can't understand why hubby and I aren't rampant consumers. They operate under a mindset that states that each pay rise must be spent making you look higher on the totem pole than the neighbours (the whole keeping up with the Jones' attitude). I think that to try to keep up means you buy into current dominance displays between people - which we don't; let them be rampant consumers I think they're idiots. But they're idiots getting their latest drug hit to make them feel better about their shitty lives. My belief is that once you accept your life then everything else, all the trappings of wealth and whose 'made it' more than someone else, becomes meaningless. I don't waste my time on 'meaningless' activity - life's too short, I'm gonna have fun, and no amount of 'buying stuff' equates to 'fun' in my mind.

Anyway, won't post too much here....this thread is about convincing RE to keep on trucking and pumping out heaps more articles for us lurkers to digest!

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 07:42:25 PM »
Agelbert - I'm gonna reply here as that 'sexual dimorphism and power relationships' article seems to be blocked or moved to me.

The links seem fine to me.  Anybody else have a problem?

Anyway, won't post too much here....this thread is about convincing RE to keep on trucking and pumping out heaps more articles for us lurkers to digest!

I'm going to move some of this Posting tonight.

I'm going to make a thread in Doomsteading specifically for the Sheep Stuff.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline WHD

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2012, 07:46:21 PM »
RE,

Numerologically, 55 is a 10, which is a 1 = New Beginnings. Glad to see the warm response. My guess, a hundred or more for everyone that comments. Glad also to see the invigoration. Happy 55, in admiration of a life lived remarkably.

WHD 

Offline pansceptic

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2012, 08:16:55 PM »
RE,
First, thanks for the encouragement to write as much as I feel.  As my New Age friends would say, I feel so empowered!  ::)

Regarding the insight that made me think, it was in "Transportation Networks"; the lead photo is what looks like Hunter Thompson aiming what looks like a .44 Special or .45 LC revolver.  The specific quote:

"If the people who live in those communities cannot revert to subsitence living, they will either die off or they will move in towards the currently still functioning main rail line. The second alternative here is probably the more likely one for most of these folks."

This addresses a present concern of mine.  I'm about to retire in about 9 months; I plan to lump-sum out my pension and get the hell outta my current Big Shittie (Miasma, FL).  Despite that my family lives in Mississippi and includes two members of the Nat'l Guard (the local militia :) , I've been reluctant to voluntarily return there.  However, a BIG factor in favor of the town I grew up in:  it's a stop on the Illinois Central main line from Chicago to New Orleans.  Another BIG factor: I speak the local dialect and graduated from the local high school, so I won't be getting the "yew ain't frum round here, are yew?" accompanied by sounds of banjos in the backround.

While one would think that the people in a rural agricultural state with a low population density would be in good shape, they literally are not (Mississippi has the dubious distinction of being the fattest state in the US).  The soil has been exhausted by extractive, short-termist agricultural practices, and the Wallmartization of the population is pretty complete.  So just as in Alaska, "If the people who live in those communities cannot revert to subsitence living, they will either die off or they will move in towards the currently still functioning main rail line."

While I am an accomplished Appropriate Technologist/Green Wizard, I'm getting up in years and having apprentices is not yet a viable economic model.   So I'm considering the posibility that I might be better off as a merchant using the railroad as my trade system as opposed to being an isolated doomsteader/junkman.

This illuminates what may be the BIGGEST reason many people are taking no action despite an increasing feeling of unease about their future economic arrangements.  Even if I am able to cash out my chips, what the hell do I do with them?  What is my best arrangement for weathering the chaos that is surely coming?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Basic Bugout Protocols
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2012, 12:38:18 AM »
RE,
First, thanks for the encouragement to write as much as I feel.  As my New Age friends would say, I feel so empowered!  ::)

My idea for the Diner was to set it up so anyone can become an "Instant Blogger".  You can set up your own Newz Channel and Blog in that thread.  You can place in Graphics and Video and do Layout on the article just as though it was up on the Blog itself.  If you do that, I can then easily transfer the good ones to the Blog.

There is No Censorship and No Limit on length.  Just go to the Dirdy Birdy Chronicles in the Diner Newz Channels to get a load of what DB drops down.  LOL.  I don't suggest doing that, you'll lose readers.  Your choice though.  1000-2000 words is probably a good Limit to start with for yourself.

Quote from: PS
Regarding the insight that made me think, it was in "Transportation Networks"; the lead photo is what looks like Hunter Thompson aiming what looks like a .44 Special or .45 LC revolver.  The specific quote:

Quote from: RE
"If the people who live in those communities cannot revert to subsitence living, they will either die off or they will move in towards the currently still functioning main rail line. The second alternative here is probably the more likely one for most of these folks."

This addresses a present concern of mine.  I'm about to retire in about 9 months; I plan to lump-sum out my pension and get the hell outta my current Big Shittie (Miasma, FL).  Despite that my family lives in Mississippi and includes two members of the Nat'l Guard (the local militia :) , I've been reluctant to voluntarily return there.  However, a BIG factor in favor of the town I grew up in:  it's a stop on the Illinois Central main line from Chicago to New Orleans.  Another BIG factor: I speak the local dialect and graduated from the local high school, so I won't be getting the "yew ain't frum round here, are yew?" accompanied by sounds of banjos in the backround.

MS did NOT make RE's list of Top 10 North American Bugout Locations. Too close to the Mexican Border, too FLAT, and a History of Racial Problems as well.  However, it is better than FL, and a Rural Location where you Know People is better than going with complete strangers.

For suggestions on good Bugout Methodologies, you can look at the Storage Unit Paradigm.  I also suggest going to the BUGOUT BOARD and checking out those threads.

While I am an accomplished Appropriate Technologist/Green Wizard, I'm getting up in years and having apprentices is not yet a viable economic model.   So I'm considering the posibility that I might be better off as a merchant using the railroad as my trade system as opposed to being an isolated doomsteader/junkman.

This illuminates what may be the BIGGEST reason many people are taking no action despite an increasing feeling of unease about their future economic arrangements.  Even if I am able to cash out my chips, what the hell do I do with them?  What is my best arrangement for weathering the chaos that is surely coming?

Isolated Doomsteads IMHO are Death Traps.  If you do the Doomstead thing, it should be a Coop arrangement with several Adults, including age 20-30 Something folks with little resources but strong backs and a good life philosphy.  There are several such folks who are Diners here.  I suggest Incorporating and personally divesting of wealth which makes you a Target.

Trade and Barter is a good means for making a living, but remember you will run into Theft and Property Protection problems.  If you have some valuable Tech Skills, bartering your skill set is probably better than bartering merchandise, since your skill set can't be stolen from you.

If you do move to this community in MS, if TSHnHTF yet, priority ONE is getting together with the rest of the community to explain to them what is going on.  Gun Clubs are a good place to start, Churches also if you are the Church going type. Set  up Neighborhood Watch groups OUTSIDE of the local Gestapo.  Arm your Watchers with CAMERAS, not Guns right now.  Set up a Communications Network not using Cell Phones with CB and FRS Radios and Walkie Talkies.  Set up a Code and Encryption system for this Com system.  Set up protocols for message passing along the network since such radios generally have a max range around 5 miles.

Retain MOBILITY as best you can.  A good Bugout Machine with gas tank always topped off is a must.  Pre-plan Escape Routes off the Interstate that you do not need to use your GPS on, it may be blocked.  Have 2 or 3 secondary Bugout Locations to Retreat to if your original one is failing.

Those are the Basics.  You can of course go much further than this.

RE

Note: I will likely move this post and others on this topic over to the Bugout Board after a bit.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline CodeyellowPillMonkeyagain

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
Happy Belated Birthday RE!  Are you back at work? I always wanted summers off, no luck. Kids are back to school here in N. Texas.  Our little munchkin's hair finally fell out. She is wearing hats, imagine a cap with actual Spock ears....her mom is  a Trekkie... Shes still a happy almost 5 year old. She and her twin brother are being home schooled due to the illness and they are in social isolation.  I hope to get to know these kids some day.  Grandma by facebook for now.
It was hot in Vegas, the stretch limos are so big you can dance in them, and I did.
Picked up 5 old Mother Earth News magazines today for free at the library. Circa 79, complete with ads about the system is going to collapse.  Thought that was kinda creepy. I certainly wasn't thinking like that back then, as my kids are not thinking of it now.
The doomstead in Oklahoma still stands the fires went around it.  Which brings me to the conclusion that only preps in your abode is not the best idea.  So many people lost so much out that way.  All preps would be burnt to a crisp.  So my new mantra is " Don't put all your preps in the same basket"  :)
The rose is from Tyler, may your year be the best yet!!

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2012, 11:12:06 PM »
CYPM is BACK!
Another Founder back from Lurkerville!  :icon_sunny:

Happy Belated Birthday RE!  Are you back at work?

Sorta.  My friend and I finally had our Parting of the Ways, and I am no longer teaching school.  I have some other Part Time work I am doing, around 25 hours a week.  Kinda Semi-Retired here at the moment.
The doomstead in Oklahoma still stands the fires went around it.  Which brings me to the conclusion that only preps in your abode is not the best idea.  So many people lost so much out that way.  All preps would be burnt to a crisp.  So my new mantra is " Don't put all your preps in the same basket"  :)

I discussed this probelm a while back in one of the Doomsteading threads.  Fire isn't the only reason you shouldn't store all your Preps inside your Doomstead.  The other one is Zombies/Theft.

You should only keep a month or so most inside the Doomstead.  The rest should be Buried in Caches in 55 Gallon Drums or heavy duty PVC containers.  If you have a large plot of land for your Doomstead you can distribute the caches around your own property.  Mark them off by GPS coordinates, but you should also be able to locate them by Triangulation off Major landmarks with a Compass, and/or Sextant.

This way if you are set on by Zombies, you can offer to give them "All" your Food if they will just leave you alive.  Assuming you are Out-Gunned of course and they get the Drop on you.  After they leave, you wait a few days then go dig up one of the other caches.

If they want you Doomstead also, you march off "dejected" without a fight.  Then you go to one of your OTHER Caches that has Spare Weapons and Ammo, and wait for them to get lazy, and get the Drop on THEM.

Buried and properly sealed with everything inside in Watertight containers like Vacuum Sealed Bags, your Preps are safe from Fire, Theft, Flooding and even Earthquakes unless you are VERY unlucky on the epicenter of the Quake being right where your preps are.  If you have $1000s worth of Long lasting preps, this is the best Security System to undertake.

If you don't have your own land, you can also Bury on Public Land on the periphery of National and State Parks.

Parenthetically, I am starting an article tonight on Food preps after visiting Walmart today.
Our Walmart now has a BIG section Brand New with Large Bulk Freeze Dried Prepper Foods with a 30 Year(!) Shelf Life!  Doomerism has gone Mainstream up here on the Last Great Frontier.  Anybody Else's Local Walmart have one of these sections now?

The rose is from Tyler, may your year be the best yet!!

Thanks for the Rose.  I will Treasure it for as long as the Net stays Up.  :icon_sunny:

RE
Save As Many As You Can