AuthorTopic: 🤡 Trumpty-Dumpty POTUS Thread  (Read 258128 times)

Offline Randy C

• Foxsteader
  • Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Trumpty-Dumpty POTUS Thread
« Reply #990 on: October 14, 2017, 07:07:43 AM »
The step by step process on how the National Command Authority authorizes the use of nuclear weapons.  It explains why Trump can't just "push the button."  While I am very concerned about Trump's mental health, I'm not concerned that he can act on his own and plunge the world in to a nuclear war.  This is the best summation I have seen.

"Gray Wilton, PhD Cogatation, University of Life
Answered Jan 30

POTUS has a card, commonly called the "biscuit," with the nuclear launch codes on it. He also has a briefcase, nicknamed the "football," carried by a military aide who is never more than about 15 seconds away from the President, with the equipment and the information needed to launch a nuclear strike. The National Command Authority (NCA), POTUS with the consideration of the SecDef who must agree, can do the first step. Should the SecDef NOT agree POTUS can simply fire the SecDef on the spot and replace him through a pre-determined “line of succession” UNTIL he gets a SecDef that agrees with the decision. While possible not too probable because “tick-tock” the clock is running. Could the POTUS just command the military aide to pass the “football” and let the POTUS launch on his own authority? NO, because that would be an unlawful order that the military aide would not have to obey and without his compliance the “football” would not open so the POTUS’s “biscuit” would be nothing more than a plastic card. The military aide is the first line of defense in the process.

The second line of defense is that should the VP among others have concerns about the decision they have the right to enact Section 4 of the 25th Amendment and have the President declared “disabled” (unable to perform his duties) and then if all the principles are in agreement REPLACE the sitting POTUS with the VP becoming the new POTUS. Remember: tick-tock!

Keep in mind that most (but not all) countries that possess nuclear devices AND delivery systems (missiles or aircraft) subscribe to the theory that the very idea of of “global nuclear destruction” is the real deterrent, not the actual launching of the missiles or aircraft.

The reason for the urgency in this process though is that any retaliatory launch must come within ten minutes or less (closer to six and becoming less every year or so) IF there is to be any hope for the launch to be completed before incoming bombers or missiles start to arrive on the continental U.S.

The command of the NCA goes to NORAD, where the command is verified by checking the code sent by the “football” is current AND correct. Third line of defense in the process.

Launch commands are then sent via coded and secure radios on a variety of modulated bands, again for security. As you might imagine, land lines do not go everywhere the commands are being sent, AND they are not as secure as telemetry. Fourth line of defense.

Then there is the security involved by the missile crews, the submarine crews and the aircraft crews, each of which verifies the codes sent and once verified by at least TWO members of each crew that the crew’s specific orders are “opened” and again verified by the two crew members who must agree. (Hint and reminder: Tick-tock!) Fifth and Sixth layers of defense against accidents and a takeover of the command chain at ANY single level.

Then following procedures for each crew the missions will commence and that will generally lead to target input for fixed site missiles, transfer movement to a launch position for subs or cruise missile surface ships, or penetration of enemy airspace and payload launch or drop on targets.

Any attempt at this point to stop the launches or the airspace penetrations after reaching this point would be impossible. Layers of defense have consequences in that once they are all passed there is no stopping the events."

Source:
https://www.quora.com/Step-by-step-what-is-the-process-required-for-the-United-States-to-launch-a-nuclear-weapon

Also see First Strike as an example of how this process plays out once the early warning system is activated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBROvR9w&t=1s

If you watch all four parts, you will get to meet my graduate advisor and department chair, William R. Van Cleave.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Donald Trump Trucker Rally Cold Open - SNL
« Reply #991 on: October 16, 2017, 04:22:19 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/PfVobgfXE34" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/PfVobgfXE34</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Dopamine Dreams
« Reply #992 on: October 18, 2017, 12:03:17 AM »
http://www.dailyimpact.net/2017/10/17/dopamine-dreams/

Dopamine Dreams
  By Tom Lewis | October 17, 2017 | Politics

Podcast: Play in new window | Download

Subscribe: Android | RSS

Madness manifests in people and countries in some ways that are obvious to other people and countries, even while the crazy ones remain oblivious to their own affliction. People with dementia, for example, often don’t see anything out of the ordinary in having to be reintroduced to people they have known for years, who just left the room a few minutes ago, but friends and family understand instantly what has been lost. Countries that repeatedly invade patches of jungle or sand in Asia or the Middle East, expecting each time they do the same thing to win hearts and minds, accept their state of constant war and failure as normal, but the countries around them do not.

The crazier you are, it seems, and the more completely unhinged your behavior, the less aware you are that anything is amiss. It’s one of those situations where, if you think you have a problem, you don’t; it’s when you cannot conceive of anything being wrong with you that you are screwed.

Lots of crazy people have lucid moments. And in crazy countries, not everyone is crazy. Yet it is clear to others who is nuts. And America, my friends, it out of its collective mind.

I am not making any attempt here to be clinically correct, to use the pretentious jargon of the psychologically stylish — narcissist, sociopath, schizophrenic, whatever. If I did I would be likely to apply them incorrectly. I prefer the language of common sense to make my point about whack jobs and looney tunes.

There is a state of being that I have observed in people close to death, in which they float in and out of reality, at one moment conversing with someone in the room, at the next enjoying a reunion with an old friend who’s been dead for 20 years. Like that last waking thought you and I have at night, the one that starts normally but in mid-sentence swerves into sheer fantasy, and then sleep.

I have often thought that this must be a very pleasant place to be, high on dopamine (some researchers think that when the nervous system comprehends that the jig is up, it floods the system’s pleasure centers with dopamine), all rules of behavior (including those of gravity and time) suspended, all experiences pleasant, all apprehensions banned. But it’s not where you want your driver to be, or your airline pilot. Or your president.

But that is where we are. Our president is displaying all the symptoms of someone who should be in hospice care — floating in and out of reality, confusing false memories and old movies with what really happens, preferring fantasy to life. He seems to be in a dopamine-fueled dream of himself as a king adored by his vassals and his empire’s vassal states. He talks fondly of having a tank parade down Pennsylvania in his honor, seems to lust for a war in which he will lead his legions astride a white charger, his golden sword aloft.

Obviously, a total whack job, to use the technical term. There are plenty of people pointing that out, which you could use to bolster an argument that although he is batty, the country is still sane.

But wait there’s more. Donald Trump was elected president by the vote of a hair over 25 per cent of the people registered to vote in the United States. In that election, nearly half the people eligible to vote did not bother to do so.

Now that, America, is just crazy.

Shall we do it again, and see if we get a different result?
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dopamine Dreams
« Reply #993 on: October 18, 2017, 03:53:07 AM »
The article forgot to mention who the voters had for an alternative.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: October 18, 2017, 05:56:35 AM »

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: October 18, 2017, 06:07:44 AM »

RE

Like a gent we both admire said, Chris Hedges, "Jill Stein graciously offered to step aside and let Bernie run in her place."

He also said Sanders should have accepted. He betrayed all his supporters after there was proof Debbie Wasserman Schultz and the DNC dicked him.  :dontknow:

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #996 on: October 18, 2017, 05:02:50 PM »

RE

Like a gent we both admire said, Chris Hedges, "Jill Stein graciously offered to step aside and let Bernie run in her place."

He also said Sanders should have accepted. He betrayed all his supporters after there was proof Debbie Wasserman Schultz and the DNC dicked him.  :dontknow:

Birds of a feather.

Plus, the checks cleared.
"...reprehensible lying communist..."

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Lowly Liberals Manipulate Gold Star Families in War on Trump
« Reply #997 on: October 19, 2017, 05:01:57 AM »
Gotta love this headline from Faux Newz.  ::)

The Righty controlled MSM strikes again!

Righties have no shame.  Scum of the Earth.

RE

http://nation.foxnews.com/2017/10/19/lowly-liberals-manipulate-gold-star-families-war-trump

Politics
Lowly Liberals Manipulate Gold Star Families in War on Trump
Published October 19, 2017

By Brian Flood, Fox News

As many Democrats weaponize Gold Star families against the GOP, mainstream media outlets now seem to be approaching the families of dead soldiers one by one in an attempt to find the next controversy surrounding President Trump.

Earlier this week, Trump said former President Obama and past presidents didn’t always call the families of soldiers who died while serving the country during a Rose Garden press conference.

“The traditional way, if you look at President Obama and other presidents, most of them didn’t make calls, a lot of them didn’t make calls,” Trump said. “I like to call when it’s appropriate.”

These comments by Trump lit a fire under Democrats, both in the media and in Washington.

Gold Star widows and parents were all over the place on Wednesday, from CNN to The New York Times, mostly to criticize Trump. The Washington Post successfully found a Gold Star father who alleged that Trump didn’t come through on a $25,000 promise, while The Associated Press even tweeted a glorified classified ad with the hope of locating more Gold Star families willing to chat.

“Are you a member of a Gold Star family who’s had contact with the White House? Confidentially share your story here,” the AP tweeted. 
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Arizona's Jeff Flake announces he will not seek re-election to U.S. Senate
« Reply #998 on: October 24, 2017, 08:01:52 PM »
I don't think the Repugnants will keep the Senate in 2018.  They might even lose the House.

RE

Dan Nowicki, The Republic | azcentral.com Published 11:45 a.m. MT Oct. 24, 2017 | Updated 4:34 p.m. MT Oct. 24, 2017

Play Video

ARIZONA SEN. JEFF FLAKE IN THE NEWS Sen. Jeff Flake's remarks from Senate floor | 4:54

Sen. Jeff Flake

(Photo: Senate TV via Associated Press)
CONNECTTWEET 90 LINKEDIN 136 COMMENTEMAILMORE

Condemning the nastiness of Republican politics in the era of President Donald Trump, Sen. Jeff Flake on Tuesday announced he will serve out the remainder of his term but will not seek re-election in 2018.

The bombshell, which Flake, R-Ariz., delivered Tuesday afternoon on the Senate floor, will further roil Republican hopes of keeping the party's 52-seat Senate majority in the midterm elections of Trump's first term, when the president's party historically loses seats in Congress.

It also likely will upend the race for Flake's seat. Flake, who is among the Senate's more prominent critics of Trump, had been struggling in the polls.

He told The Arizona Republic ahead of his announcement that he had become convinced "there may not be a place for a Republican like me in the current Republican climate or the current Republican Party."

MORE:  Read the full text of Sen. Flake's speech
'Here's the bottom line ...'
Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., accompanied by his wife Cheryl,

Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., accompanied by his wife Cheryl, leaves the Capitol in Washington on Oct. 24, 2017, after announcing he won't seek re-election in 2018. (Photo: Andrew Harnik/Associated Press)

Flake said he has not "soured on the Senate" and loves the institution, but that as a traditional, libertarian-leaning conservative Republican, he is out of step with today's Trump-dominated GOP.

"This spell will pass, but not by next year," Flake said.

Among Republican primary voters, there's overwhelming support for Trump's positions and "behavior," Flake said, and one of their top concerns is whether a candidate is with the president or against him. While he is with Trump on some issues, on other issues he is not, Flake said. And Trump definitely views Flake as a foe, having denounced him publicly and called him "toxic" on Twitter.

"Here's the bottom line: The path that I would have to travel to get the Republican nomination is a path I'm not willing to take, and that I can't in good conscience take," Flake told The Republic in a telephone interview. "It would require me to believe in positions I don't hold on such issues as trade and immigration, and it would require me to condone behavior that I cannot condone."

As of Sept. 30, Flake's campaign had $3.4 million on hand. He has continued to raise money — as recently as Thursday, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice headlined a fundraiser for him in Arizona.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: October 24, 2017, 08:34:53 PM »
I don't know. The Koch money has painted so many states red now, and the gerrymandering tends to make it a perpetual problem...unless there is major redistricting, and that won't happen anytime soon. It's a quiet coup on the part of the extreme right.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
Re: Arizona's Jeff Flake announces he will not seek re-election to U.S. Senate
« Reply #1000 on: October 25, 2017, 01:59:22 AM »
I don't think the Repugnants will keep the Senate in 2018.  They might even lose the House.

RE

A reasonable person might well think so. Yet the democrats have shown an unerring capacity for emptying clips into their feet. On Dec sites Bernie Bros and Hillary bots are still fighting the last war. The DNC recently made moves to oust some people from the Sanders/Ellison wing, and show themselves as polarized as Republicans. Except that, oh yeah, they're out of power. And here in Virginia, the proxy fight continues for the governor's race. Enron Ed Gillespie is spending huge buckle to dump raw sewage on their airwaves, and has a bottomless war chest. If Gillespie wins, and polls have him up a point, watch for Dolt 45 to claim full credit. Although he has been careful to keep his distance.

As of Sept. 30, Flake's campaign had $3.4 million on hand. He has continued to raise money — as recently as Thursday, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice headlined a fundraiser for him in Arizona.

Of course he has. That's what they do.

Meanwhile, check the votes. Everyone is acclaiming yesterday as Flake's Joseph Welch moment. But-- if you voted to confirm Betty DeVos and Rick Perry and Jeff Sessions and Neil Gorsuch then you're complicit in all this bullshit. I hope you burn in Hell.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Manafort gets arrested
« Reply #1001 on: October 30, 2017, 05:44:38 AM »
Somebody actually got arrested!  :o

RE

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/manafort-and-former-business-partner-asked-to-surrender-in-connection-with-special-counsel-probe/2017/10/30/6fe051f0-bd67-11e7-959c-fe2b598d8c00_story.html?utm_term=.3f8a3d119c33

Manafort and former business partner asked to surrender in connection with special counsel probe

Play Video
Indictment expected into Russian involvement in the 2016 election
Embed
The inquiry led by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is expected to publicly announce the first batch of charges in the investigation into Russian involvement in the 2016 election. (Reuters)
By Rosalind S. Helderman and Matt Zapotosky October 30 at 8:12 AM

Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and his former business partner Rick Gates will turn themselves in on charges stemming from Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia to influence the 2016 election, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The precise charges the men face were not immediately clear. Gates did not respond to a request for comment, nor did Jason Maloni, a spokesman for Manafort. Manafort was spotted walking into the FBI’s Washington Field Office Monday morning.

Washington — especially those in political and media circles — had been anxiously anticipating the charges since CNN reported Friday night that a grand jury had approved the first charges in Mueller’s investigation. That report was soon matched by others, including Reuters and the Wall Street Journal, though affiliates of many involved said they were in the dark as to what was about to come. About a dozen reporters staked out the entrance to the federal courthouse in downtown D.C. Monday morning, waiting for any glimpse of prosecutors or possible defendants.

Spokespeople for Mueller and the Justice Department declined to comment over the weekend. They did not immediately return messages Monday.

Mueller was appointed in May to oversee the probe of possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia, taking over work that the FBI had begun in July 2016. Prosecutors have been probing Manafort’s work as a political consultant in Ukraine, where he advised a Russia-friendly political party for years before his work with Trump. They have also been examining Manafort’s personal finances.
Former Donald Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort will turn himself in to federal authorities on charges in connection with Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation. (Elsa/Getty Images)

While the probe has focused acutely on Manafort and former national security adviser Michael Flynn, investigators have shown interest in a broad array of other topics.

Those include meetings the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, had with the Russian ambassador and a banker from Moscow in December, and a June 2016 meeting at Trump tower involving the president’s son, Donald Jr., and a Russian lawyer. Mueller’s team has requested extensive records from the White House, covering areas including the president’s private discussions about firing James B. Comey as FBI director and his response to news that Flynn was under investigation, according to two people briefed on the requests.

Mueller is also investigating whether Trump obstructed justice leading up to Comey’s firing. His team has been actively presenting records and bringing witnesses before the grand jury in D.C. for the last three months.

[Special Counsel Mueller using grand jury in federal court in Washington as part of Russia investigation]

Any grand jury indictment would be shared with deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein, who is acting as the attorney general because Jeff Sessions, having served as a surrogate for the Trump campaign, recused himself from the matter.

Late Friday afternoon, the federal court’s chief judge, Beryl A. Howell, presided as host for a ceremonial portrait unveiling of a fellow judge and explained to the crowd of hundreds of guests that Rosenstein could not be present because of an important meeting he was called to at the Justice Department.

FBI agents working for Mueller raided Manafort’s home in Alexandria in late July, armed with a search warrant that allowed them to enter at dawn without warning the occupants. Such an invasive search is only allowed after prosecutors have persuaded a federal judge that they have evidence of a crime and they have reasonable concern that key evidence could be destroyed or withheld.

Prosecutors also warned Manafort they planned to indict him, according to two people familiar with the exchange. Manafort associates had said Friday evening, though, they had no indication that Manafort has been or would be indicted.

Flynn’s lawyer, Robert Kelner, said late Friday, “we are not commenting tonight.” A person familiar with Flynn’s defense said he, too, had received no notice of pending indictment.

Wayne Holland, a McEnearney Associates real estate agent who helped Manafort buy the condo in Alexandria, Va., that was raided by the FBI this summer, testified Oct. 20 before the grand jury in Mueller’s probe after he and his firm were unsuccessful in an effort to quash subpoenas, Holland said Friday.

Holland declined to discuss his testimony, first reported by Politico, but confirmed that an opinion unsealed Friday by Howell denied his and his firm’s motion to quash a subpoena by claiming real estate broker records are confidential under Virginia and District laws.

Devlin Barrett, Carol Leonnig, Sari Horwitz, Spencer S. Hsu, Ellen Nakashima, Greg Miller and Adam Entous contributed to this report.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Manafort gets arrested
« Reply #1002 on: October 30, 2017, 08:52:27 AM »
Somebody actually got arrested!  :o

RE

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/manafort-and-former-business-partner-asked-to-surrender-in-connection-with-special-counsel-probe/2017/10/30/6fe051f0-bd67-11e7-959c-fe2b598d8c00_story.html?utm_term=.3f8a3d119c33

Manafort and former business partner asked to surrender in connection with special counsel probe

Play Video
Indictment expected into Russian involvement in the 2016 election
Embed
The inquiry led by special counsel Robert S. Mueller III is expected to publicly announce the first batch of charges in the investigation into Russian involvement in the 2016 election. (Reuters)
By Rosalind S. Helderman and Matt Zapotosky October 30 at 8:12 AM

Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and his former business partner Rick Gates will turn themselves in on charges stemming from Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation into possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia to influence the 2016 election, according to a person familiar with the matter.

The precise charges the men face were not immediately clear. Gates did not respond to a request for comment, nor did Jason Maloni, a spokesman for Manafort. Manafort was spotted walking into the FBI’s Washington Field Office Monday morning.

Washington — especially those in political and media circles — had been anxiously anticipating the charges since CNN reported Friday night that a grand jury had approved the first charges in Mueller’s investigation. That report was soon matched by others, including Reuters and the Wall Street Journal, though affiliates of many involved said they were in the dark as to what was about to come. About a dozen reporters staked out the entrance to the federal courthouse in downtown D.C. Monday morning, waiting for any glimpse of prosecutors or possible defendants.

Spokespeople for Mueller and the Justice Department declined to comment over the weekend. They did not immediately return messages Monday.

Mueller was appointed in May to oversee the probe of possible coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia, taking over work that the FBI had begun in July 2016. Prosecutors have been probing Manafort’s work as a political consultant in Ukraine, where he advised a Russia-friendly political party for years before his work with Trump. They have also been examining Manafort’s personal finances.
Former Donald Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort will turn himself in to federal authorities on charges in connection with Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation. (Elsa/Getty Images)

While the probe has focused acutely on Manafort and former national security adviser Michael Flynn, investigators have shown interest in a broad array of other topics.

Those include meetings the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, had with the Russian ambassador and a banker from Moscow in December, and a June 2016 meeting at Trump tower involving the president’s son, Donald Jr., and a Russian lawyer. Mueller’s team has requested extensive records from the White House, covering areas including the president’s private discussions about firing James B. Comey as FBI director and his response to news that Flynn was under investigation, according to two people briefed on the requests.

Mueller is also investigating whether Trump obstructed justice leading up to Comey’s firing. His team has been actively presenting records and bringing witnesses before the grand jury in D.C. for the last three months.

[Special Counsel Mueller using grand jury in federal court in Washington as part of Russia investigation]

Any grand jury indictment would be shared with deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein, who is acting as the attorney general because Jeff Sessions, having served as a surrogate for the Trump campaign, recused himself from the matter.

Late Friday afternoon, the federal court’s chief judge, Beryl A. Howell, presided as host for a ceremonial portrait unveiling of a fellow judge and explained to the crowd of hundreds of guests that Rosenstein could not be present because of an important meeting he was called to at the Justice Department.

FBI agents working for Mueller raided Manafort’s home in Alexandria in late July, armed with a search warrant that allowed them to enter at dawn without warning the occupants. Such an invasive search is only allowed after prosecutors have persuaded a federal judge that they have evidence of a crime and they have reasonable concern that key evidence could be destroyed or withheld.

Prosecutors also warned Manafort they planned to indict him, according to two people familiar with the exchange. Manafort associates had said Friday evening, though, they had no indication that Manafort has been or would be indicted.

Flynn’s lawyer, Robert Kelner, said late Friday, “we are not commenting tonight.” A person familiar with Flynn’s defense said he, too, had received no notice of pending indictment.

Wayne Holland, a McEnearney Associates real estate agent who helped Manafort buy the condo in Alexandria, Va., that was raided by the FBI this summer, testified Oct. 20 before the grand jury in Mueller’s probe after he and his firm were unsuccessful in an effort to quash subpoenas, Holland said Friday.

Holland declined to discuss his testimony, first reported by Politico, but confirmed that an opinion unsealed Friday by Howell denied his and his firm’s motion to quash a subpoena by claiming real estate broker records are confidential under Virginia and District laws.

Devlin Barrett, Carol Leonnig, Sari Horwitz, Spencer S. Hsu, Ellen Nakashima, Greg Miller and Adam Entous contributed to this report.

Oh goody! More circuses!!!!
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline Surly1

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1003 on: October 30, 2017, 09:31:22 AM »
I know I'm not nearly as patriotic as Trump voters, but "conspiracy against the United States" seems pretty fuckin' anti-American.
Thought in light of todays news this would be very fitting. This is amazing.
#MuellerTime   #Comeyday

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/biehbIPqV8c" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/biehbIPqV8c</a>

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Trumpty-Dumpty POTUS Thread: How LOW can he GO?
« Reply #1004 on: November 05, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
Looks like even his Beer Swilling Redneck supporters are abandoning him.  :icon_sunny:

RE

http://time.com/5010653/donald-trump-approval-ratings-low-poll/

President Trump's Approval Rating Is Lower Than Any Modern President

UP NEXT!
Paul Manafort Is Accused of Money Laundering. Here’s What That Means
By Jennifer Calfas 7:01 AM EST

Ahead of the first anniversary of his 2016 presidential election victor, President Donald Trump has received low approval ratings that are worse than any other president’s over the past several decades, according to a new poll.

A Washington Post-ABC News poll released Sunday found that Trump has a 37% approval rating about nine months into his time as president. That’s a lower number than other president’s approval ratings at the same time in their tenures over the course of seven decades of polling, according to the Post. With a 59% disapproval rating, Trump’s approval margin is -22 — the only president to have a negative margin in decades, according to the poll.

Former President Barack Obama had a 57% approval rating and 40% disapproval rating — a margin of 17 — at the same time during his tenure in November 2009. Former President George W. Bush had a 89% approval rating and a 9% disapproval rating — a margin of 80 — at this time in November 2001. And former President Bill Clinton had an approval rating of 52% and a disapproval rating of 41% in November 1993 — making his margin 11, the lowest before Trump’s -22% margin in recent history.

Trump’s approval rating has fallen since he took office. He has faced a number of controversies while in the Oval Office, including the recent indictments that came as a result of the investigation into whether his campaign colluded with Russia to sway the 2016 election, the controversial responses to a violent white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Va., and hurricanes that have hit the U.S. and its territories, as well as Trump’s difficulty pushing through promised legislation, like the repeal and replacement of the Affordable Care Act.

According to the Post‘s poll, 65% of Americans said Trump had accomplished “not much” or “little to nothing” since starting in the White House in January. Additionally, 55% of Americans said Trump was not keeping his major campaign promises — up from 41% who said the same in the spring, according to the poll.
Save As Many As You Can