AuthorTopic: 🤡 Trumpty-Dumpty POTUS Thread  (Read 139595 times)

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🤡 Trumpty-Dumpty POTUS Thread
« Reply #1710 on: January 16, 2019, 05:45:26 AM »
When Kennedy got shot you were in the first grade. Gimme a fuckin' break.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: January 16, 2019, 05:56:09 AM »
When Kennedy got shot you were in the first grade. Gimme a fuckin' break.

I was Politically Aware quite early in life.  :icon_sunny:  I was reading at 3 years old.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: January 16, 2019, 06:16:51 AM »
Me too. Dr. Suess.

I have a  photographic memory too. Want me to recite a few lines of Sam I Am?

I wasn't reading Adam Smith or Karl Marx, however. When Kennedy died, I was probably reading Huckleberry Finn, which was my 1st real literature.

I was not politically sophisticated enough to understand jack shit about Kennedy's assassination in the fall of '63, and I didn't know what the CIA even was, and I seriously doubt whether you did either, boy genius.

All we really knew was that a Real Bad Thing had happened.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: January 16, 2019, 06:26:07 AM »
Me too. Dr. Suess.

I wasn't reading Adam Smith or Karl Marx, however. When Kennedy died, I was probably reading Huckleberry Finn, which was my 1st real literature.

I was not politically sophisticated enough to understand jack shit about Kennedy's assassination in the fall of '63, and I didn't know what the CIA even was, and I seriously doubt whether you did either, boy genius.

I got past Dr. Suess by the time Kennedy was Assassinated, I was reading the Sunday NYT by then.  Not that the information was much better than what you got from Walter Cronkite on CBS or Huntley & Brinley on NBC of course.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline K-Dog

• Global Moderator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • K-Dog
« Reply #1714 on: January 16, 2019, 08:58:44 AM »
Me too. Dr. Suess.

I got past Dr. Suess by the time Kennedy was Assassinated, I was reading the Sunday NYT by then.  Not that the information was much better than what you got from Walter Cronkite on CBS or Huntley & Brinley on NBC of course.

RE

Practically there is not much difference but back them most things were presented truthfully unless they weren't.  By that I mean things were more comparable to the NY Times now.  99.9% true but their whoppers are hugely manipulative and readers are duped since most of the time they can confidently trust what they read. Most everywhere else truth gets a smaller percentage now.  More need to be wary, but also more of a propensity to not trust.  Regardless idiots knowing little never see pause to consider what they want to believe as not being true.  They know so little they can't see any contradictions and so instead cultivate madness.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:03:25 AM by K-Dog »
Under ideal conditions of temperature and pressure the organism will grow without limit.

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: January 16, 2019, 09:27:59 AM »
When Kennedy got shot, everybody saw it on TV. They couldn't fake that part.

Then, Oswald was immediately apprehended, so it came out pretty fast that he was a malcontent who had been to Russia, which at that time made him a real outlier.....either crazy or a Soviet agent.

Then everybody saw Ruby shoot Oswald. It was all fast breaking news. None of it made sense to anybody.

Then we had the state funeral with John-John saluting and  the horses and all that mass media mourning. I have a fairly good memory of that week. I was in 2nd grade. I remember the moment they made the announcement.

The idea that it somehow immediately shaped young RE's political sensibilities is absurd, which was the point I was trying to make.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: January 16, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »
The idea that it somehow immediately shaped young RE's political sensibilities is absurd, which was the point I was trying to make.

It'a not absurd.  Right after that I moved to Brazil, where I met my friend Randy, the LGBTQ son of the UN Fisheries Director who was in reality a CIA operative.  We sat in his apartment across the street from mine and listened to Dylan and Ochs and Seeger and all the protest music of the 60s on his turntable, and pretended to be Disc Jockeys with his Sony Reel-to-Reel Tape deck.  Later back in NY Shity we would do it for real running WQLB, our Pirate Radio station.  I was 13 at that time, playing in Brasil I was 7.  I remember it clear as it was yesterday.  I was greatly affected at the time by the poverty around us in Rio, the sons and daughters of the maids and driver and cooks we employed who came from the Favelas were my playmates.  I played Futbol with those boys, but I could never be one of them really.  These experiences transformed my political outlook, which was pretty well formed by the time I left Brazil at around age 10-11.  I was already a Commie by then.

I of course did not know all the conspiracy theories surrounding the JFK assassination right after it happened, like everybody else I just heard and read and saw the breaking news on our B&W TV set.  But by the time I got back from Brazil the Conspiracy Theories were already flying and I read them all.  The whole fucking thing never sat right with me.  You did not have my experience growing up Eddie, you didn't walk a mile in my shoes nor did I walk in yours out there as the poor son of dirt poor farmers in Texas.  Don't lay on me what you think my upbringing was or how it evolved, it's not yours to judge it.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🤡 Pelosi Knows How to Play Chicken. Trump Doesnít.
« Reply #1717 on: January 17, 2019, 02:53:02 AM »
Digging in for trench warfare.

RE

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-01-16/government-shutdown-pelosi-can-play-chicken-trump-can-t

Pelosi Knows How to Play Chicken. Trump Doesnít.

The side that causes a government shutdown always takes more blame for the effects.

By Jonathan Bernstein
January 16, 2019, 10:03 AM AKST

She has the upper hand.

Photographer: Win McNamee/Getty Images

Jonathan Bernstein is a Bloomberg Opinion columnist covering politics and policy. He taught political science at the University of Texas at San Antonio and DePauw University and wrote A Plain Blog About Politics.
Read more opinion
Follow @jbview on Twitter
COMMENTS
LISTEN TO ARTICLE
3:42

On Tuesday, President Donald Trump invited a bunch of Democrats to the White House in hopes of splitting the party. Not only did he fail to break Democratic unity, but none of the invitees even bothered to attend. Trump had a little better luck on Wednesday, when the bipartisan ďProblem Solvers CaucusĒ came over, though Democrats in the group seemed more interested in giving him the message to reopen the government than they were in negotiating anything right now.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi struck back on Wednesday by postponing Trumpís trip to Capitol Hill for the State of the Union Speech. Pelosi even suggested that Trump might want to consider reviving the pre-Wilsonian tradition of submitting a report in writing instead of a televised speech.

For one thing, as the HuffPostís Jennifer Bendery writes, this is ďclassic Pelosi.Ē Thereís little question that the speaker knows how to negotiate ó and how to fight.

A larger point, however, is just how topsy-turvy this entire shutdown has been.

Closing the government has been Trumpís idea from the beginning. He wanted a shutdown to pressure Congress to give him his border wall; Democrats, and many Republicans, were perfectly satisfied with the government spending agreement they had negotiated. Indeed, Trump wanted the shutdown back in September, when the spending bills were originally due, and then he wanted it in early December, when the extensions ran out. Republicans were able to convince him the first two times to go along, but he balked when the latest temporary bill ran out. If Trumpís explicit claim of responsibility isnít enough, then surely his opposition to the Democratsí bills aimed at keeping the lights on while negotiations continue is a pretty clear indication that he wants the shutdown. And presumably he wants it because he thinks it will increase his negotiating leverage.

Trouble is, Trump and other Republicans who want the shutdown should also be those who want it to be painful, and they should be emphasizing how terrible the consequences of a closed government can be. If the reason for shutting down the government is to win leverage, then embrace it.

But thatís not whatís happening. Democrats are the ones constantly emphasizing the suffering of government workers either furloughed or working without pay, of government contractors who wonít get paid, and how everyone else is losing out, too. Trump and his administration that are downplaying the effects. But if they are correct, then why should Democrats accept a worse deal than the one they had already negotiated back when they didnít yet have a House majority?

The answer might be that the side that caused government closures is always going to be the one that takes more blame for the effects. If thatís the case, however, itís a good reason to never shut down the government as a negotiating ploy, because itís certain to backfire.

What's happening now is much like what happened in 2013, when Tea Party radicals tried closing the government to get their way on health care and then immediately started complaining that President Barack Obama was managing the shutdown to maximize pain to ordinary citizens. It made no sense then and flopped badly as a negotiating strategy, and yet the current shutdown looks a lot like a rerun. Trump is even listening to the masterminds who got nothing in 2013.

Or perhaps itís even worse: Trump is listening to those who believe that government is all waste, fraud, and abuse, and that shutting down part of it will somehow reveal how great a libertarian paradise would be. For such people, the border wall is irrelevant; itís just an excuse to maneuver a bunch of agencies to close. Ed Kilgore had a good item about that kind of delusion. It's simply not true that modern U.S. society can get by on a tiny, 19th-century-style government, and certainly not one imposed willy-nilly through a sudden extended government shutdown.

In any case, itís still just as hard to see how this ends well for the president. He should be looking for the least harmful escape route, but so far it's not even clear he realizes heís played himself into an impossible position.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🤡 As Trump and Pelosi become ever more petulant, they both need to swallow...
« Reply #1718 on: January 18, 2019, 01:29:02 AM »
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/as-trump-and-pelosi-become-ever-more-petulant-they-both-need-to-swallow-a-bitter-shutdown-pill

Opinion
As Trump and Pelosi become ever more petulant, they both need to swallow a bitter shutdown pill
by Daniel DePetris
 | January 17, 2019 05:58 PM

Print this article
00:00

Americans have lived through government shutdowns before. There have been 21 shutdowns (including the present one) since 1976, most frequently during periods of divided government. Presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, and now President Trump have all had to spend days (and in the case of Clinton and Obama, weeks) with the government closed while lawmakers and the White House staff negotiate.

Sometimes the shutdown is a minor blip, the result of partisan bickering over menial budgetary issues. Cool heads eventually prevail, and people go back to work.

Never, however, have we seen a government shutdown as ridiculous as the current impasse. Nobody wants to negotiate; in fact, getting a meeting between the president and several moderate House Democrats as the White House tried to do this week has been a chore. Washington is now dominated by base politics, with Trump highly resistant to caving on the $5.7 billion he has demanded for his precious border wall and Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., equally unwilling to provide a dollar of additional money for a vanity project they blast as ďimmoral.Ē
00:29 / 04:47
The Top 5 Worst Journalism Moments of 2018
Watch Full Screen to Skip Ads

So here we are, 27 days into the longest government shutdown in history, effectively at square one. If there are any talks even occurring at this point, lawmakers arenít exactly optimistic about them.

The first four weeks have been terrible. But this week, we entered a whole new plane of absurdity.

It began on Wednesday, when Pelosi notified Trump in a brief letter that it may be best for him to postpone the State of the Union address for a later date ó like when he decides to reopen the government. Trump "thinks itís OK not to pay people who do work,Ē Pelosi remarked during a news conference on Thursday. ďI donít and my caucus doesnít either.Ē The move was pure politics and grandstanding on the part of Americaís most powerful Democratic lawmaker, a way to get under Trumpís thin skin and make congressional Democrats look like the responsible party.

Yet Trump doesnít take punches without punching back. On Thursday, Trump issued his own letter to Pelosi telling her that the trip she was going to take to Belgium, Egypt, and Afghanistan will be canceled due to the government shutdown. ďIn light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay,Ē the letter read, ďI am sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate.Ē It was typical Trump: sarcastic, petulant, proudly confrontational, and red meat to his most committed supporters.

The countryís two most powerful politicians are now duking it out over scheduling issues. If you thought Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, reading Green Eggs and Ham on the Senate floor during the 2013 shutdown was a national embarrassment, the Trump-Pelosi cage match is so bone-chilling that it makes you want to find your passport and move to Canada.

Nobody wins when departments and agencies of the federal government run out of money and turn off the lights. While 800,000 federal employees are working without compensation and Transportation Security Administration employees are using their sick days, the public are wondering what about Washington turns the people they elect into such lunatics. Every day, the disconnect gets worse.

There is a common-sense solution on the table. Republicans and Democrats can pass a spending bill that pairs border wall money with permanent protections for illegal immigrant "Dreamers," and Trump signs the bill into law, thereby reopening the government for the remainder of the fiscal year. A broader immigration debate will have to wait. This looks like the only way to end the standoff: Both sides need to swallow a bitter pill, act like adults, give the other political side a minor win, and recognize that they wonít get 100 percent of what they want.

Stop crying like kindergartners and canceling events, thinking that these tactics are something average people are impressed with. Deal with the business at hand before the public grow even more discombobulated with politics than they already are.

Daniel DePetris (@DanDePetris) is a contributor to the Washington Examiner's Beltway Confidential blog. His opinions are his own.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/as-trump-and-pelosi-become-ever-more-petulant-they-both-need-to-swallow-a-bitter-shutdown-pill

Opinion
As Trump and Pelosi become ever more petulant, they both need to swallow a bitter shutdown pill
by Daniel DePetris
Daniel DePetris (@DanDePetris) is a contributor to the Washington Examiner's Beltway Confidential blog. His opinions are his own.

Just another bullshit example of "bothsiderism." Both sides are to blame, yada, yada, yada. As one of Tyler Perry's characters might have said, "Fuck to the no."

The Rethuglicans held Congress along with the presidency for two years, and at no time did building a racist monument across the southern border rise to such a level of importance that legislation was advanced. "Emergency" occurred only after the Democrats took the House of Representatives and Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh took Individual-1 to the wood shed, and told him that they would continue to commit rhetorical sodomy on him if he didn't buckle under their demands for the racist wall. Fuck them, fuck the author, and fuck anybody who thinks that the shutdown is an example of anything but hostage-taking.

We are well aware that trump doesn't care about anything or anybody that's outside his own appetites, and the satisfaction of same. Why anybody would give the both-siderists a chance to spin this away is both remarkable and disappointing. Never forget the House of Representatives has advanced nine bills, some of them passed previously with bipartisan support, to open the government. Mitch Mcconnell continues to make sure that none of this passes.

So fuck this guy. What ever happened to, "We don't negotiate with terrorists?"

Swallow this.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: January 18, 2019, 04:39:12 AM »
So, if we don't negotiate with terrorists, do we just let the hostages die? How do you take out the terrorists, in this case Trump (and by extension Coulter and Limbaugh)? Trump comes from the negotiating school of Roy Cohn who taught him to not negotiate and cheat. I'm looking for a way for Trump to get out of this without backing down (which I don't think he is intellectually or morally capable of) and without wagging the dog by starting a nuclear war. But then again we could let the shutdown continue as it will just hasten collapse. So what's the solution, or is there one?
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1721 on: January 18, 2019, 05:06:32 AM »
So, if we don't negotiate with terrorists, do we just let the hostages die? How do you take out the terrorists, in this case Trump (and by extension Coulter and Limbaugh)? Trump comes from the negotiating school of Roy Cohn who taught him to not negotiate and cheat. I'm looking for a way for Trump to get out of this without backing down (which I don't think he is intellectually or morally capable of) and without wagging the dog by starting a nuclear war. But then again we could let the shutdown continue as it will just hasten collapse. So what's the solution, or is there one?
AJ

So, you suggest the Ds should cave and collapse and give him $5B for Trump's erection? If they do that, that's basically the end of the legislative function in this country. Let's not forget how the Trump McConnell shutdown started and is sustained.

TSA workers should stay home. Robert Costa tweeted a couple of days ago:

"Couple senior Republican lawmakers tell me the only way this breaks open is if TSA employees stay home and Americans get furious about their flights. Thatís the only out, they say. And theyíre close to the WH."

No fucking quarter. Trump needs to get his spine snapped on this one. And this won't happen until pressure on Republican senators becomes unbearable. They are not missing meals, so none of the problems of the rest of the country exist yet.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline AJ

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: January 18, 2019, 05:32:27 AM »
AJ

So, you suggest the Ds should cave and collapse and give him $5B for Trump's erection? If they do that, that's basically the end of the legislative function in this country. Let's not forget how the Trump McConnell shutdown started and is sustained.

"Couple senior Republican lawmakers tell me the only way this breaks open is if TSA employees stay home and Americans get furious about their flights. Thatís the only out, they say. And theyíre close to the WH."

No fucking quarter. Trump needs to get his spine snapped on this one. And this won't happen until pressure on Republican senators becomes unbearable. They are not missing meals, so none of the problems of the rest of the country exist yet.
This seems like a viable way forward. I don't suggest that D's cave. BUT politics is the art of compromise without looking like you lost. If Pelosi is out to make Trump appear to have lost he won't go for it. If both can claim a victory then that is a solution.  I agree that the TSA employees may hold the key. That or the shutdown causes some other part of the economy to fail/fall. It has to affect his base and by extension the Rethuglican senators that represent them for it to end. The only way we are getting rid of Trumpsky is through his loss in 2020 or impeachment (maybe, just maybe he would resign if his kids get prosecuted in state courts and he could make a deal). And even then I'm not sure he will go quietly into the night. He seems to be the kinda 2 year old who would decide in a tantrum to kill us all. Gotta worry about that.
AJ
Nullis in Verba

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #1723 on: January 18, 2019, 05:58:23 AM »
AJ

This seems like a viable way forward. I don't suggest that D's cave. BUT politics is the art of compromise without looking like you lost. If Pelosi is out to make Trump appear to have lost he won't go for it. If both can claim a victory then that is a solution.  I agree that the TSA employees may hold the key. That or the shutdown causes some other part of the economy to fail/fall. It has to affect his base and by extension the Rethuglican senators that represent them for it to end. The only way we are getting rid of Trumpsky is through his loss in 2020 or impeachment (maybe, just maybe he would resign if his kids get prosecuted in state courts and he could make a deal). And even then I'm not sure he will go quietly into the night. He seems to be the kinda 2 year old who would decide in a tantrum to kill us all. Gotta worry about that.
AJ

I agree with most of what you wrote, but "politics as the art of compromise" is a cadaver in the age of Trump/Bannon/Miller/Bolton/FNC, etc. All that matters is n0t looking flaccid in front of their base, and otherwise "owning the libs." The instinct of most liberals is to meet the other person halfway. See clearly what that has gotten us since 1980: scorched economic earth and an economic order indistinguishable from gate kept crony capitalism .

"Politics" now being bullying, we all know the only way to deal with a bully: a punch to the face.

I think you are on to something about non-pardonable state charges filed against his spoor being the leverage needed to exact a resignation. He won't resign because Ann Coulter and Rushbo hold the key to his locked nut sack, and he won't want be able to disappoint.

During his final days in the bunker, Adolf Hitler claimed the German people 'deserved to die' in the days leading up to his own death. See if this sounds familiar: the Nazi leader told senior officers that he had been deceived by everyone around him during a series of rants in the final eight days before he took his own life in 1945.

Adolf Hitler told his generals that the German people had not fought heroically enough and deserved to perish. He ranted that he had been lied to by his own people, claimed the German people had not fought with enough heroism and that they 'deserved to perish'.

Should we expect any other fate from a "President" who has demonstrated little but a complete lack of empathy or fellow-feeling for other people,  and a disregard for social norms indistinguishable from sociopathy?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 18, 2019, 07:02:07 AM »
How do you take out the terrorists, in this case Trump (and by extension Coulter and Limbaugh)?
AJ

Ask the CIA.

RE
Save As Many As You Can