AuthorTopic: 🤡 Trumpty-Dumpty POTUS Thread  (Read 240855 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
🤡 Articles of impeachment against President Trump announced
« Reply #2310 on: December 10, 2019, 01:27:00 PM »
Impeachment Time!  We got the articles!  On to the Senate for the bogus trial!

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GAKXFRLYMNw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GAKXFRLYMNw</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🤡 Lawmakers look ahead to impeachment vote, Senate trial
« Reply #2311 on: December 16, 2019, 08:26:35 AM »
MOAR Kabuki Theater!   ::)

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/149nWXPAHps" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/149nWXPAHps</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🤡 A grave day in history: Trump faces impeachment
« Reply #2312 on: December 18, 2019, 12:24:07 AM »
 :multiplespotting:

RE

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/18/politics/donald-trump-impeachment-analysis/index.html

A grave day in history: Trump faces impeachment
Stephen Collinson Profile

Analysis by Stephen Collinson, CNN

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UUS1wssj0Ro" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UUS1wssj0Ro</a>

Updated 12:54 AM ET, Wed December 18, 2019
All your impeachment vote questions answered

(CNN)It's a dark day in America.
The House of Representatives is set to impeach an elected President accused of violating the nation's trust and his oath to preserve, protect and defend bedrock constitutional values. Donald Trump will be only the third president in 240 years to be impeached -- the ultimate trauma for the system of checks and balances, which will unleash fury that will boil for years.
The 45th President will be charged by the House Democratic majority with two articles of impeachment, namely abusing his power and obstructing Congress in a scheme to lure Ukraine into interfering in the 2020 election.
In Trump's tumultuous presidency, the extreme has become routine, and hyper-partisanship has blurred the senses. But when the House votes to impeach Trump, a fateful step expected at some point Wednesday, it may become clear that this is also a somber moment of national political tragedy. After all, the House Democrats, who won a majority in the midterm elections on a mandate of curtailing Trump, will be making a rare statement that a President elected just three years ago should be forced from office.

Trump raged into his day of historic shame unrepentant -- after saying he takes "zero" responsibility for impeachment -- and feeling persecuted. He unleashed a fearsome attack on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the other Democrats in an extraordinary letter that expressed something like despair about the fate of his legacy.
The 30 most blistering lines from Donald Trump&#39;s unhinged letter to Nancy Pelosi
The 30 most blistering lines from Donald Trump's unhinged letter to Nancy Pelosi
"You are the ones obstructing justice. You are the ones bringing pain and suffering to our Republic for your own selfish personal, political and partisan gain," Trump wrote, accusing Democrats of the very offenses of which he is accused.
Pelosi described Trump's tirade as "really sick."
Trump's impeachment has become about more than the misbehavior of a President and the Democratic claim that his actions reach the constitutional bar of "high crimes and misdemeanors."
In retrospect, it might have been an inevitable constitutional collision given his belief in his own ultimate power and his disrespect for any conventional notions of presidential discretion -- factors in evidence right from the start of the property branding titan's 2016 campaign, which turned US politics on its head.
A nation divided
The impeachment crisis is also a symptom of a country caught in a massive political estrangement that is tearing apart any sense of common patriotic purpose. It has exposed a political culture in which the facts -- in this case, of the President's actions -- are no longer sacrosanct and that has been laced with a fog of misinformation by his allies. The ill feelings and controversy stirred in recent weeks, ultimately by the actions of the most divisive President in modern history, will reverberate long after he's left office.
America is as split on impeachment as it is on everything else. A CNN poll of polls shows that 46% believe Trump should be impeached and removed from office, while 49% do not. Wednesday's vote, for which Democrats are confident they have a strong majority, has prompted heart searching among vulnerable representatives seeking reelection in districts where Trump won big in 2016.
"This is not something you can do based on polls," said moderate Democratic Rep. Elissa Slotkin of Michigan. "The voters will have a chance to decide next year."
"I'm not compromising my integrity," said Slotkin, who intends to vote for impeachment.
An already bitter feud is stirring in the Republican-led Senate, ahead of a trial early next year expected to fall well short of the two-thirds majority needed for Congress to oust a president for the first time.
But there may be moments of hope on Wednesday too, as the ancient mechanism of America's democratic experiment swings into action to prove that no man is a king dwelling above the law.
Trump's defiance is a sign that once acquitted by the Senate, he is likely to become even more unchained and to treat his escape as vindication. One sign of that is the way in which his personal attorney Rudy Giuliani has just returned from Ukraine after carrying on the very activity -- digging for dirt on former Vice President and potential 2020 rival Joe Biden -- that led his client to the brink of impeachment.
Pelosi forced to act
Pelosi, who once warned that the President was self-impeaching, long resisted using her most consequential power to call Trump to account, arguing that he was "not worth it."'
But pressure from political allies and an imperative to defend the Constitution became unassailable after news emerged in September of Trump's back-door diplomacy in Ukraine.
Democrats amassed a detailed record built upon testimony from career foreign policy officials in the administration of a prolonged effort by Trump to use the power of his office not for America's interests but for personal political gain.
Specifically, Trump is accused of withholding $400 million in military aid and the prospect of an Oval Office visit from new Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to coerce him into announcing an investigation into Biden and his son Hunter's business dealings in the country.
While the decision by the former vice president's son to accept a paid role on the board of Burisma, a Ukrainian energy giant, while his father was in office is ethically questionable, there is no evidence of wrongdoing by either Biden.
Witnesses called by Democrats testified that Trump did demand a quid pro quo from Ukraine and that he was orchestrating the scheme. A rough transcript of his call with Zelensky in July, which the President insists was "perfect," shows Trump asking for a favor -- including an investigation into Biden and a conspiracy theory that Ukraine interfered in the 2016 election.
Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney appeared to confirm the quid pro quo, telling reporters to "get over it." And Trump called on Ukraine publicly to investigate the Bidens.
For Democrats, such behavior validated impeachment because it confirmed the fears of the country's founders that a rogue, demagogic President could incite foreign interference in US democracy.
"His scheme to corrupt an American presidential election subordinated the democratic sovereignty of the people to the private political ambitions of one man, the President himself," said Rep. Jamie Raskin of Maryland at a House Rules Committee hearing Tuesday.
"Second, after this corrupt scheme came to light, and numerous public servants with knowledge of key events surfaced to testify in our committee investigations about the President's actions, President Trump directed the wholesale, categorical and indiscriminate obstruction of this congressional impeachment investigation."
For Democrats the question was: If this is not impeachable, what is?
A struggle for Republicans
From the start, Republicans struggled to counter the facts of the impeachment case, not least because Trump appeared several times to confirm the Democratic accusations against him.
Instead, the GOP in the House set out to attack the process, accusing Democrats of abusing their power themselves and inventing Trump's abuses of authority to fulfill their dreams of destroying a President they had never forgiven for beating Hillary Clinton.
"We're in a kangaroo court, it feels like in this place, because all of this is backwards," Rep. Doug Collins, the top Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said Tuesday.
"We're more 'Alice in Wonderland' than we are House of Representatives. Because whether you agree that he needs to be impeached or not, do you not think there needs to be a modicum of process and rights?" Collins said.
Despite the pleadings of one key witness for them not to recycle Russian propaganda -- former National Security Council Russia policy chief Fiona Hill -- several prominent Republicans highlighted claims that Ukraine had meddled in the 2016 election to hurt Trump.
Hear Fiona Hill&#39;s full opening impeachment hearing remarks

Hear Fiona Hill's full opening impeachment hearing remarks 08:11
While several officials from Kiev criticized Trump, there is no evidence that Ukraine participated in anything like the massive Russian intelligence and misinformation operation that US spy agencies say was designed to help Trump win the presidency.
Republicans also accused Democrats of failing to glean testimony from key witnesses, even though officials like former national security adviser John Bolton and Mulvaney were barred from showing up by Trump in a sweeping immunity claim.
Democrats declined to litigate to compel testimony, arguing that court action could take many months and Trump posed a "clear and present" danger to US security and the 2020 election.
Republicans -- supported by the right-wing media propaganda machine -- have also claimed that abuse of power is not a specific crime and is not therefore an impeachable offense. They argue that Trump asked Zelensky in the call to do "us" a favor, as in the United States, rather than seeking personal gain. But they have not explained how investigating a 2016 conspiracy theory or one of his political opponents represents a compelling US national interest.

Trump's refusal to admit any transgression has deprived Republicans of the political cover of the defense that saved President Bill Clinton 20 years ago: that his actions were lamentable but did not rise to the level of impeachment.
That may be problematic for vulnerable Senate Republicans in swing state races in 2020. But the lockstep GOP support for Trump also demonstrates the President's remarkable control over a party he transformed in his own nationalist image.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🤡 TRUMPOVETSKY IMPEACHED!!!
« Reply #2313 on: December 18, 2019, 06:06:44 PM »
Let the Senate Game Trial begin! lol.  What a joke.

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/41dvpVBH__8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/41dvpVBH__8</a>
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🤡 TRUMPOVETSKY IMPEACHED!!!
« Reply #2314 on: December 18, 2019, 08:36:51 PM »

RE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/41dvpVBH__8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/41dvpVBH__8</a>

It is a joke. How can almost all the Democrats in the House be firmly convinced that Trump is guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors and all the Republicans be convinced he's not? If justice and fair-mindedness had anything to do with it, this party line split could not be.  Any moron should be able to grok that. The voters are just about as tribal as their representatives. Truth is the victim of a drive-by, and everyone makes up a narrative that fits his or her  particular bias.

I consider Trump to be guilty, more or less, although he's really more guilty  of a whole host of other crimes the Congress has no interest in bringing to light, including money laundering and all sorts of nefarious deals with people tainted by blood money and organized crime. The impeachment charges are the least of his crimes in my opinion.....and none of it will stick anyway, because the Republican Senate is just as sure to acquit as the House was to bring charges.

America 2.0 tm      More Circus. Less Bread.

The impeachment this really resembles is Andrew Johnson's.....I see a few articles that touch on this, although it's all seen by the journalists who bring it up in the light of Woke revisionist history, They make Johnson out to be a racist, which is a convenient canard that overlooks the fact that he was just trying to do what Lincoln had wanted, and that the a-hole Republicans of that era were out to get him because they wanted to punish the southern states by putting them under martial law, and he didn't.

It was very similar to the Trump impeachment, although in Johnson's case it was the Republicans who were on the impeachment bandwagon instead of the Democrats. And even though Johnson was acquitted, it is generally regarded as having permanently weakened the power of the executive branch. I'm not sure how this one will play out. It could give Trump even more opportunity to continue to wreck what is left of our barely functioning system of checks and balances,

The polls say Trump is riding high because so many people are giving him credit for the great condition of the economy, which is particularly disturbing to anyone who understands that the perpetual growth engine is about clapped out, and we're headed for a new way of living that will have Baron Trumps and probably Dukes of Hazzard and Lords of Brooklyn...and lots of serfs....if the food holds out long enough.

I think of Edward Abbey's bones still out there in his sleeping bag in some hidden desert spot, and wonder if maybe  I could get my own corpse successfully  dragged to a place where I could get a decent sky burial and let the vultures and the fungus do their work....I sure don't want to have my mortal remains put in one of those creepy boxes...and lately I seem to be having more problems than I used to thinking about being burned up.  Maybe in my boat, like a Viking....that'd be acceptable.

Tony Campise , the great bass flautist who used to live and gig around here in his later years......had a friend put his ashes on a shelf in Ausitn's best know jazz venue, The Elephant Room, downtown. They're still there.

The little island a few hundred yards from my dock at the lake house...the one where all the common egrets like to roost....has been approved for ten acres of backfill and a new upscale real estate development that will forever change the character of our little neighborhood. The world moves on and the only constant is change, almost all of it for the worse.

We're headed up to Alta to ski. When I heard about the snowboarder who died near there, I immediately checked the snow conditions. The lodge where we stay has a permanent photo scrapbook that goes back fifty years or more, and there are pics of an avalanche that blew out windows and filled first floor guest rooms full of snow and  overturned cars in the parking lot. They've gotten a lot better at avalanche control in Little Cottonwood Canyon in recent years, but when you the drive up the canyon there are still signs forbidding you to stop your car in winter, in the most dangerous parts of the canyon. I think this will be my 20th year of a New Years Eve at the lodge. Time flies, whether you're really having fun or not.

I missed once and the missus missed once, on different years for different reasons. She missed the year adventurer daughter had her rock climbing accident the week before Christmas and ended in ICU for two weeks and racked up 6 trips to the OR in 7 days. I missed one year because I was burned out on skiing and wanted to spend the time building barbed wire fence on the stead.....a fence that still remains unfinished. I wish I'd just gone skiing now.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 09:00:14 PM by Eddie »
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 🤡 TRUMPOVETSKY IMPEACHED!!!
« Reply #2315 on: December 18, 2019, 09:04:50 PM »

RE

It is a joke. How can almost all the Democrats in the House be firmly convinced that Trump is guilty of high crimes and misdemeanors and all the Republicans be convinced he's not? If justice and fair-mindedness had anything to do with it, this party line split could not be.  Any moron should be able to grok that. The voters are just about as tribal as their representatives. Truth is the victim of a drive-by, and everyone makes up a narrative that fits his or her  particular bias.

I consider Trump to be guilty, more or less, although he's really more guilty  of a whole host of other crimes the Congress has no interest in bringing to light, including money laundering and all sorts of nefarious deals with people tainted by blood money and organized crime. The impeachment charges are the least of his crimes in my opinion.....and none of it will stick anyway, because the Republican Senate is just as sure to acquit as the House was to bring charges.

America 2.0 tm      More Circus. Less Bread.

The impeachment this really resembles is Andrew Johnson's.....I see a few articles that touch on this, although it's all seen by the journalists who bring it up in the light of Woke revisionist history, They make Johnson out to be a racist, which is a convenient canard that overlooks the fact that he was just trying to do what Lincoln had wanted, and that the a-hole Republicans of that era were out to get him because they wanted to punish the southern states by putting them under martial law, and he didn't.

It was very similar to the Trump impeachment, although in Johnson's case it was the Republicans who were on the impeachment bandwagon instead of the Democrats. And even though Johnson was acquitted, it is generally regarded as having permanently weakened the power of the executive branch. I'm not sure how this one will play out. It could give Trump even more opportunity to continue to wreck what is left of our barely functioning system of checks and balances,

The polls say Trump is riding high because so many people are giving him credit for the great condition of the economy, which is particularly disturbing to anyone who understands that the perpetual growth engine is about clapped out, and we're headed for a new way of living that will have Baron Trumps and probably Dukes of Hazzard and Lords of Brooklyn...and lots of serfs....if the food holds out long enough.

I think of Edward Abbey's bones still out there in his sleeping bag in some hidden desert spot, and wonder if maybe  I could get my own corpse successfully  dragged to a place where I could get a decent sky burial and let the vultures and the fungus do their work....I sure don't want to have my mortal remains put in one of those creepy boxes...and lately I seem to be having more problems than I used to thinking about being burned up.  Maybe in my boat, like a Viking....that'd be acceptable.

Tony Campise , the great bass flautist who used to live and gig around here in his later years......had a friend put his ashes on a shelf in Ausitn's best know jazz venue, The Elephant Room, downtown. They're still there.

The little island a few hundred yards from my dock at the lake house...the one where all the common egrets like to roost....has been approved for ten acres of backfill and a new upscale real estate development that will forever change the character of our little neighborhood. The world moves on and the only constant is change, almost all of it for the worse.

We're headed up to Alta to ski. When I heard about the snowboarder who died near there, I immediately checked the snow conditions. The lodge where we stay has a permanent photo scrapbook that goes back fifty years or more, and there are pics of an avalanche that blew out windows and filled first floor guest rooms full of snow and  overturned cars in the parking lot. They've gotten a lot better at avalanche control in Little Cottonwood Canyon in recent years, but when you the drive up the canyon there are still signs forbidding you to stop your car in winter, in the most dangerous parts of the canyon. I think this will be my 20th year of a New Years Eve at the lodge. Time flies, whether you're really having fun or not.

I missed once and the missus missed once, on different years for different reasons. She missed the year adventurer daughter had her rock climbing accident the week before Christmas and ended in ICU for two weeks and racked up 6 trips to the OR in 7 days. I missed one year because I was burned out on skiing and wanted to spend the time building barbed wire fence on the stead.....a fence that still remains unfinished. I wish I'd just gone skiing now.

There hasn't be fairness or justice in Amerika since I was born.  Quite a bit before that too.  Remember Joe McCarthy?

Thanks for the updates and stay out of the way of the Avalanches.  Did you ever go Helicopter Skiing the Deep Powder?

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: 🤡 Trumpty-Dumpty POTUS Thread
« Reply #2316 on: December 18, 2019, 09:19:09 PM »
Helicopter skiing is for rich people. We buy lift ticket discount coupons on sale on Black Friday and fly coach.

But at Alta sometimes there is excellent powder.anyway. Not as often as the old days. And more likely to be much deeper there in February. I keep saying we should go there later in the season.....but old habits die hard.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: December 18, 2019, 09:41:28 PM »
Helicopter skiing is for rich people. We buy lift ticket discount coupons on sale on Black Friday and fly coach.

But at Alta sometimes there is excellent powder.anyway. Not as often as the old days. And more likely to be much deeper there in February. I keep saying we should go there later in the season.....but old habits die hard.

You don't have to be that rich.  There are 7 day packages here in Alaska for under $10K.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🤡 Trump Has Been Impeached. Republicans Are Following Him Down.
« Reply #2318 on: December 19, 2019, 12:17:54 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/18/opinion/trump-impeachment-vote.html

Trump Has Been Impeached. Republicans Are Following Him Down.

Ignoring facts and trashing the impeachment process is no way to protect democracy.

By The Editorial Board

The editorial board is a group of opinion journalists whose views are informed by expertise, research, debate and certain longstanding values. It is separate from the newsroom.

Dec. 18, 2019

On Wednesday evening, the House of Representatives impeached the president of the United States. A magnificent and terrible machine engineered by the founders, still and silent through almost all of American history, has for only the third time in 231 years shifted into motion, to consider whether Congress must call a president to account for abuse of power.

So why does it all seem so banal? The outcome so foreordained?

Most people say they know what’s going to happen, and who are we to say they’re wrong? The House voted to impeach Donald Trump by a party-line vote, with the exception of three Democrats representing Trump-friendly districts who voted against at least one article of impeachment. In the next month or two, the Senate will almost surely acquit him, also on a party-line vote.

It isn’t supposed to be this way. There’s plenty of blame to go around for the intense — really, infantilizing — degree of polarization that has overwhelmed American politics across the past 40 years. But the nihilism of this moment — the trashing of constitutional safeguards, the scorn for facts, the embrace of corruption, the indifference to historical precedent and to foreign interference in American politics — is due principally to cowardice and opportunism on the part of Republican leaders who have chosen to reject their party’s past standards and positions and instead follow Donald Trump, all the way down.

It’s a lot to ask of Republicans to insist on holding their own leader accountable, just as that was a lot to expect of Democrats during the Clinton impeachment inquiry. But while many Democrats then criticized President Bill Clinton and some voted to impeach him, Republican lawmakers would not breathe a word against Mr. Trump on Wednesday.

David Leonhardt helps you make sense of the news — and offers reading suggestions from around the web — with commentary every weekday morning.

Advertisement
Continue reading the main story

Instead, they competed with one another to invoke the most outlandish metaphor of evil — from the attack on Pearl Harbor to the crucifixion of Jesus Christ — and suggest that Mr. Trump is enduring even worse.

Senate Republicans are preparing to follow the example of their House colleagues, though many know better. Not so very long ago, several of them — including Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio, even the majority leader, Mitch McConnell — warned that Donald Trump was wrong for the country. Lindsey Graham memorably called Mr. Trump “a race-baiting, xenophobic, religious bigot” who was “unfit for office.” Now these senators seem eager to endorse the very sort of behavior they feared.

You have 6 free articles remaining.

Subscribe to The Times

It is not too much to wonder how much of this cynicism and betrayal of principle any democracy can handle.

Every president from George Washington onward has been accused of misconduct of one kind or another, and many have faced calls for their impeachment. But Congress has resorted to the ultimate remedy so rarely because of the unspoken agreement that it should be reserved for only the most egregious and inexcusable offenses against the national interest.

Mr. Trump himself drew this distinction in 2008, arguing that President George W. Bush should have been impeached for lying about the reasons for the Iraq war, while at the same time rejecting the Republicans’ impeachment of Mr. Clinton for lying about sex as “nonsense,” done for something “totally unimportant.”

Advertisement

By any reasonable measure, Mr. Trump’s own conduct in office clears the bar for impeachment set by the founders. The case against him is that he solicited foreign interference to help in his 2020 re-election campaign, that he used hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to do it, that his administration tried to hide the evidence and that he then blocked Congress from performing its constitutionally mandated role of checking the executive branch. Multiple government officials, some appointed by the president himself, have confirmed all of these facts.

There may be no better illustration of what the Constitution’s framers considered to be impeachable conduct. And that’s leaving to the side strong evidence that Mr. Trump has committed other impeachable offenses, including taking foreign money at his personal businesses, obstructing justice and violating campaign-finance laws — the latter two of which are also federal crimes.

Through it all, Mr. Trump has had the opportunity to rebut the charges. By his account, he could have extinguished both articles of impeachment by allowing top administration officials to testify under oath. If he really did nothing wrong, the testimony of these officials would exonerate him of the charge of abusing his power, and simply their appearance under oath would dissolve the charge of obstructing Congress.

And yet when given the opportunity to defend himself, the president has refused to participate, defying all of the House’s subpoenas for witnesses and documents, effectively declaring himself unaccountable.

His defense has consisted of sending all-caps tweets accusing the Democrats of perpetrating a “hoax” and trying to overturn an election. On Tuesday, Mr. Trump delivered an unhinged, error-ridden six-page letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi in which he called the impeachment inquiry “an illegal, partisan attempted coup” and claimed that the Salem witch trials provided more due process. Tell that to the women and men who were hanged in Massachusetts.

The president’s letter demonstrated again his complete failure to offer a substantive defense. His refusal to admit he did the slightest thing wrong, or to offer witnesses who could affirm his innocence, left the House with no choice but to impeach him. By the sworn testimony about his actions, and by his own public statements calling on China and Ukraine to investigate the Bidens, he has shown not only that he tried to cheat to win the 2020 election, but that he is continuing to do so.

The case now moves to the Senate for a trial, which will be presided over by Chief Justice John Roberts. The chief justice will have the power to rule on any disputes that arise, but his rulings can be overturned by a majority of senators. Though he may be reluctant to be dragged into what might seem political disputes, Chief Justice Roberts has the authority and the duty to make this process more than a partisan farce.

Advertisement

Ideally, many of those disputes would be hammered out by Senate leaders before the trial begins, and would include rules that allow for compelling the production of documents that the White House has withheld, as well as requiring the testimony of witnesses whom Mr. Trump blocked from appearing before the House, including John Bolton, the former national security adviser; Mick Mulvaney, the acting chief of staff; and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

Unfortunately, the Senate is led by Mr. McConnell.

Mr. McConnell, who like all senators will swear an oath to “do impartial justice” at the start of the trial, has already vowed to violate that oath. “I’m not an impartial juror. This is a political process,” Mr. McConnell said on Tuesday. “The House made a partisan political decision to impeach. I would anticipate we will have a largely partisan outcome in the Senate.” He has also vowed to coordinate directly with the White House on all aspects of the trial.

No one is suggesting that House Democrats are above playing politics, but at least they held hearings, considered evidence and did their best to get at the truth. Mr. McConnell won’t even promise that much.

The bottom line is that impeachment in the House is unlikely to protect the country from Mr. Trump’s abuse of power, because his fellow party leaders prize their power more than the principles they say they stand for. The only way to protect American democracy is for those who value it to put it to work, and vote these people out.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🤡 Bikers for Trump Prepared to Ride for President if Republican Senators Appear
« Reply #2319 on: December 19, 2019, 12:48:05 AM »
That figures.  ::)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/P0zb6_HYJY8?list=PL3VVbZ747nRPFMBbPE6PLeCmgDVpu38Pu" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/P0zb6_HYJY8?list=PL3VVbZ747nRPFMBbPE6PLeCmgDVpu38Pu</a>

RE

https://www.newsweek.com/bikers-trump-prepared-ride-president-if-republican-senators-appear-flipping-impeachment-1477955

Bikers for Trump Prepared to Ride for President if Republican Senators Appear to be 'Flipping' on Impeachment
By Jenni Fink On 12/18/19 at 9:54 AM EST

Current Time 0:00
Duration 3:15
HD
This Is The Moment The House Judiciary Committee Approves Two Articles Of Impeachment Against President Trump

Riding into Washington, D.C., to protest the impeachment vote in the House of Representatives would serve no purpose, according to the Bikers for Trump, but they're ready to make their voices heard if Republican senators appear to be changing their tune and ready to convict President Donald Trump.

"This is a witch-hunt and we all know it, so why try to publicize it for the Democrats with doing a ride," Dale Herndon, director of Bikers for Trump, told Newsweek ."...The Democrats have shown that they don't listen to anyone other than their inner circle."

On Wednesday, the House is expected to vote on the two articles of impeachment that the House Judiciary Committee approved. Bikers for Trump, a political PAC composed of a group of motorcycle riders and Trump supporters, claimed Democrats already had their minds made up and therefore, a protest would be of little use in stopping them from voting in favor of the articles of impeachment.

Even if the House votes against Trump, removing him from office would require the Republican-majority Senate to convict him. At least 20 Republican senators would have to vote in favor of removing Trump from office, but Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told reporters on Tuesday he anticipated a "largely partisan outcome" if a trial is launched.
Ads by scrollerads.com

In the Facebook video, Herndon encouraged McConnell to put it to a vote so it could be "over with" and expressed confidence that the Senate would "handle this." If Republican senators appear to be "flipping" on the issue of convicting the president, though, Herndon told The Washington Examiner that the organization is ready to protest.

"We are getting up support just in case," Herndon explained.

For a ride to be effective, it must have meaning and be timed appropriately, Herndon told Newsweek. Bikers for Trump has groups in every state, but if a ride is necessary, everyone would be encouraged to ride into Washington, D.C., together.
bikers for trump impeachment senate
Veterans ride on motorbikes holding signs of support for Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump during the Rolling Thunder rally in Washington, D.C., on May 29, 2016. If Senate Republicans appear to be "flipping" on their support for the president ahead of a vote to convict him, the Bikers for Trump are prepared to ride into Washington, D.C., to protest. ANDREW CABALLERO-REYNOLDS/AFP/Getty

While the Bikers for Trump are preparing to show support for the president if his position in the Oval Office is at risk, Herndon isn't worried about Trump's fate in 2020. Herndon predicted in the video that Trump would be victorious and that Republicans would regain control of the House and maintain the Senate majority, giving Trump "all the tools he needs to do what he's got to do."

Although he expected the Democrats' pursuit of impeaching Trump would be advantageous to the president in the election, Herndon encouraged people to not fall into complacency.

"Don't worry about tomorrow folks, or today, whenever you hear this," Herndon said in the video. "We're gonna win, Trump's gonna win, but we still gotta do what we gotta do; register people to vote, get people to the polls, do any rallies you gotta do."

On Wednesday morning, Trump, who remains steadfast about his innocence, encouraged people to "say a prayer" and read the transcripts.
Related Stories

Trump's Michigan Rally Faces Protest as Visit Clashes With Impeachment Vote
    Trump Impeachment: What to Expect as House Prepares for Historic Vote
    George Conway, Other Republicans Announce Project to 'Defeat Trumpism'

"Can you believe that I will be impeached today by the Radical Left, Do Nothing Democrats, AND I DID NOTHING WRONG! A terrible Thing," Trump posted on Twitter. "...This should never happen to another President again."

At the heart of the impeachment inquiry is a July 25 phone call between Trump and Ukranian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy. During the call, Trump asked Zelenskiy to look into former Vice President Joe Biden's alleged influence over the Ukranian government dropping an investigation into Burisma, a company in which the former vice president's son, Hunter Biden, sat on the board.

The House is expected to vote to impeach Trump Wednesday on two articles: abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. He would be the third president in American history to be impeached, along with former Presidents Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
🤡 The Impeachment of President Donald J. Trump
« Reply #2320 on: December 19, 2019, 06:17:14 AM »
Is anyone here "confused by this process"? ???

I'm not CONfused.  I am BEmused.  It's just ridiculous.

RE

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/19/podcasts/the-daily/impeachment-trump-democrats.html

The Impeachment of President Donald J. Trump

Representative Elissa Slotkin of Michigan explained her decision to vote to impeach President Trump during a meeting with constituents on Monday.
Representative Elissa Slotkin of Michigan explained her decision to vote to impeach President Trump during a meeting with constituents on Monday.Credit...Brittany Greeson for The New York Times

Dec. 19, 2019
Updated 7:23 a.m. ET

Listen and subscribe to our podcast from your mobile device:
Via Apple Podcasts | Via RadioPublic | Via Stitcher

The House of Representatives has impeached President Trump, charging him with abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.

We traveled to Michigan to understand how a fractious Democratic Party ultimately united around impeachment, having started the year divided over the issue.
INSIDE ‘THE DAILY’
For an exclusive look at how the biggest stories on “The Daily” podcast come together, subscribe to our newsletter. Read the latest edition here.

On today’s episode:

Representative Elissa Slotkin and Representative Rashida Tlaib, Democrats of Michigan.

Background reading:

Mr. Trump became only the third president in American history to be impeached, as the House charged him with abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. The votes were largely along party lines.

Moderate Democrats encouraged their party to begin the impeachment inquiry. Now, those representatives face a reckoning with that decision.

Are you confused by the impeachment process? Here’s how it works.

Constituents clapping for Ms. Slotkin as she explained why she would be voting for impeachment. The “Daily” producer Lisa Chow, far right, captured the sounds of a divided room.
Constituents clapping for Ms. Slotkin as she explained why she would be voting for impeachment. The “Daily” producer Lisa Chow, far right, captured the sounds of a divided room.Credit...Brittany Greeson for The New York Times

Tune in, and tell us what you think. Email us at thedaily@nytimes.com. Follow Michael Barbaro on Twitter: @mikiebarb. And if you’re interested in advertising with “The Daily,” write to us at thedaily-ads@nytimes.com.
Subscribe to a Newsletter From ‘The Daily’
Jan. 14, 2019
How do I listen to ‘The Daily’?
July 16, 2018

Lisa Chow contributed reporting.
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: December 19, 2019, 09:23:57 AM »
One more sign of the  dis-integration of the American population into a bunch of tribes, each with its own biased narrative and its own network nodes, thanks to Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

For the Democrats it has the potential to make them even more irrelevant to the Great Unwashed kinfolks of people like me and Joe Bageant. Kunstler gets this better than anybody, and like me, he gets misunderstood by most of the people who should be listening.

The Dems are already set up to lose. The best candidates they had have already dropped out.

The center-left candidate Warren is hamstrung by her financial success (not a good Marxist) and her prior gaffes that Trump will make fun of endlessly. She is trying to live up to the false narrative of identity politics but she's white and rich, and privileged. She should imitate Hillary more and go to black churches and kiss more butt.

The far left candidate Sanders is old, Jewish, and has some of the same problems. The Dems cannibalize their own. He's taken all this criticism for being too white and too male.

The ex-VP is weak, tainted by scandal, and...too white and too male.

The gay candidate is too conservative and the Unwashed won't vote for a gay.

The younger socialists are all too socialist to get votes away from Trump. Their time will probably come, but it won't be in 2020.

I like Bllomberg as a candidate, although I don't care for him personally. But the party would never give him the time of day......white, rich, privileged and he has lots of gaffes with the identity politics crowd, who hate him.

It's looking more like a Hillary comeback all the time.......and sadly, she might be the Dems best chance.

Absolutely a fucked-up mess.

Trump by default, most likely. He will play his aquittal by the Senate as a mandate to turn the White House into a Trump Tower.

Baron Trump. (sic)

Not an accident, that naming. But the one person who had the balls to make a good joke about it got cut off at the knees. That's where we are here in Reality Politics TV Land.

Armageddon outa here.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 09:45:05 AM by Eddie »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: December 19, 2019, 09:58:49 AM »
Kunstler gets this better than anybody, and like me, he gets misunderstood by most of the people who should be listening.

Did you ever chat with JHK?  He's a fucking jerk, just about as big an asshole as Dmitry.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: December 19, 2019, 10:18:25 AM »
I gathered that from you guys. I never did try to make acquaintance with him. He was already too famous and important to talk to a guy like me. I left a few blog comments in the beginning, but quickly realized that he is better at writing than he is at listening to his readers and having any kind of dialog.

Especially anyone who wasn't a straight up sycophant.

Sort of like JMG. He's an a-hole too in my book.

Most famous bloggers are legends in their own mind.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: December 19, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
Most famous bloggers are legends in their own mind.

This is true of most famous people of any type, not just bloggers.

RE
Save As Many As You Can