AuthorTopic: Donald Trump Is Gaslighting America  (Read 2732 times)

Offline g

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Trump Is Gaslighting America
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 07:12:05 PM »
On the other hand, I never thought Trump had much of a chance of getting elected. Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public, I guess.

True Edward, one problem being the quote applies to all the American public, not as you infer just those that voted for Mr. Trump.

The Dim are an extremely large percentage of the population, hardly unique to the Left or Right but just about totally encompassing both groups.

As a bit of trivia about Mencken's quote, it is not his exact quote but paraphrased by biographers. What he actually said was as follows.

In many books of quotations and on thousands of websites H.L. Mencken is credited with the famous quote “No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.”

Most sources fail to mention that this “quote” is actually the traditional paraphrase of what Mencken actually wrote — not a true quote.

His actual words were:

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »
On the other hand, I never thought Trump had much of a chance of getting elected. Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public, I guess.

True Edward

How do you know his name isn't Edmund?  ???  :icon_scratch:

The Dim are an extremely large percentage of the population, hardly unique to the Left or Right but just about totally encompassing both groups.

Well. to begin with one has to remember that by definition, 50% of all people have an IQ under 100, so even the capability of good critical thinking isn't wired into the brain to begin with.  Then add to that the fact that most people were educated by an industrial schooling system that purposely dumbed them down.  Then add to that many of those people were indoctrinated into a variety of religions that discourage independent thinking, including all the main ones.

So, if you actually even have 10% of the population that has a decent brain with enough knowledge to do critical thinking and who is not rigidly held to a set of religious beliefs, that would be quite an over-estimate IMHO.  As I have walked the earth over the last 60 years, my general estimate has been that 99% of Homo Saps walking the earth are complete fucking idiots.

So what would you expect from such a population other than to elect idiots like Obama-sama or The Donald?  It's baked in the cake there.

RE
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 08:01:34 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 03:06:08 AM »
Ya' gotta' love the group think, run with the herd mentality.
You are correct Sir.

Run with the herd & get slaughtered...
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you’re here. You’re here because you know something. What you know you can’t explain, but you feel it. You’ve felt it your entire life, that there’s something wrong with the world.
You don’t know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind