AuthorTopic: The Toba Memorial Volcano Thread  (Read 22883 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Toba Memorial Volcano Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 05:13:41 AM »
Explosiůn del volcŠn Tungurahua, Ecuador - 01 Febrero de 2014

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D7HI67DWZNU&fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D7HI67DWZNU&fs=1</a>

Online azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Watching Yellowstone
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
Most likely thee most important news item not being reported.

Yellowstone Supervolcano Update 8/20 20 Plus Earthquakes Harmonic Tremors Increase
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Online azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Watching Yellowstone
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »
Here is a link to the U.S. Goobermint's contingency plan
to relocate survivor's of the Yellowstone caldera's imminent eruption to the continent of Africa
BUSTED! Yellowstone Evacuation Plans Revealed! US Has Contingency Deals With Brazil, Australia, etc.
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »
Most likely thee most important news item not being reported.

Yellowstone Supervolcano Update 8/20 20 Plus Earthquakes Harmonic Tremors Increase

Incorrect. Yellowstone blowing tomorrow is just a local effect. The most important thing not being discussed is how to handle real issues of species interest. People aren't even discussing the known issues. Easier to just not think about it I suppose.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 01:48:29 PM »
I sure will miss sitting in that spot where the hot springs flow into the Gardner River. It's one of my favorite springs.

What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
I sure will miss sitting in that spot where the hot springs flow into the Gardner River. It's one of my favorite springs.

I am partial to the overlooks on the eastern side of the park myself. And the mountains to the north.

Have a niece working in Big Sky, gotta get up there to visit the new family members before the weather breaks there.

Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Online azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
Local issue is conjecture. Ash fallout could spread some 500 miles
and be up to 10 feet deep. For those that were alive during the
Mount St. Helen's eruption, ash spread as far as Colorado that I
knew of. I was living in Colo. Springs, Co. at the time & was scooping up
jars full of ash. According to some geologists Yellowstone could be a lot
larger of an event. We really don't have enough data to accurately predict
what may or may not happen. I'm of the hypothesis that those that don't
know won't be quiet, and those that do know won't say a word. Only time
will tell. The camera's in the park have been turned off to the public from time to time.
 That's clearly an indication that's there's imminent activity soon.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 04:41:53 PM »
knew of.

Sure its a local issue, at least compared to REAL things to worry about. US citizens will run around screaming and yelling about how unfair it all is, Yellowstone will no longer be a bucolic tourist target, but no one will be around to scream and yell should a smallish, run of the mill cosmic collision take place.

Quote from: azozeo
I was living in Colo. Springs, Co. at the time & was scooping up
jars full of ash.

I can imagine. Nice local event, even if that locale is the central United States. Yellowstone blowing should certainly be impressive, but unlikely to be extinction level.

According to some geologists Yellowstone could be a lot
larger of an event.

Well, it is a super volcano, and geologists tend to be pretty smart folks when compared to the population at large  :icon_sunny: but any astrophysicist could give you the kinetic energy figures on what a cosmic collision can do.

We really don't have enough data to accurately predict
will tell. The camera's in the park have been turned off to the public from time to time.

There has been imminent activity going on for as long as Old Faithful has been functioning, such activity is what makes Old Faithful possible. But imminent activity as to it going KABOOM...well....it certainly is due...give or take 20,000 years.

-Dalai Lama

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 04:59:44 PM »
Guy McPherson will be depressed.  All that ejecta up in the atmosphere is a major negative feedback and should set off a Volcanic Winter.

Far as ashfall goes, here's the map from the 3 prior eruptions:

Food production would essentially come to a halt, probably 99.9% Die Off in the Lower 48 inside the first year.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Eddie

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »
I just realized that in a couple of weeks it'll be 10 years since we were up there. Time flies. The missus and I spent her 51st (shhh) birthday there, and up in the Gallatin Gateway. Camped in one of the old forest service shacks. Great place except even then the beetles were out of control. Climate change.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Online azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 01:43:26 AM »
knew of.

Sure its a local issue, at least compared to REAL things to worry about. US citizens will run around screaming and yelling about how unfair it all is, Yellowstone will no longer be a bucolic tourist target, but no one will be around to scream and yell should a smallish, run of the mill cosmic collision take place.

I was living in Colo. Springs, Co. at the time & was scooping up
jars full of ash.

I can imagine. Nice local event, even if that locale is the central United States. Yellowstone blowing should certainly be impressive, but unlikely to be extinction level.

According to some geologists Yellowstone could be a lot
larger of an event.

Well, it is a super volcano, and geologists tend to be pretty smart folks when compared to the population at large  :icon_sunny: but any astrophysicist could give you the kinetic energy figures on what a cosmic collision can do.

We really don't have enough data to accurately predict

There has been imminent activity going on for as long as Old Faithful has been functioning, such activity is what makes Old Faithful possible. But imminent activity as to it going KABOOM...well....it certainly is due...give or take 20,000 years.

I guess your local & my local are different locals. Just a couple of local yokels.
As for planetary collisions, it may be a matter of to many episodes of 3rd rock
from the Sun syndrome, or Toxoplasmosis.
Good luck with that my friend.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:07:02 AM by azozeo »

Online azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 01:50:09 AM »
Guy McPherson will be depressed.  All that ejecta up in the atmosphere is a major negative feedback and should set off a Volcanic Winter.

Far as ashfall goes, here's the map from the 3 prior eruptions:

Food production would essentially come to a halt, probably 99.9% Die Off in the Lower 48 inside the first year.

RE

I thought about that volcanic winter scenario, however since Earth Mommy is heating up
from the core out maybe we will still continue to boil. Only time will tell until "The Big POP" occurs ...
Thanks for posting the map of the fallout.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:08:19 AM by azozeo »

Online azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 02:15:42 AM »
Here's a fresh from the oven interview between Sean David Morton
& Clif High on current Earth Mommy changes.
An interesting discussion on the blow holes in Siberia, cluster fuk-u-shima,
the drought in Cali. , & structured water vs. poisoned water by fracking.
Enjoy  :emthup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNKdhtgfPsA

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 02:18:14 AM »
I thought about that volcanic winter scenario, however since Earth Mommy is heating up
from the core out maybe we will still continue to boil. Only time will tell until "The Big POP" occurs ...
Thanks for posting the map of the fallout.

A Blowoff of Yellowstone would bring down Core Temperature of the earth significantly.  Its the thermodynamic principle of Adiabatic Thermal Expansion, same principle that makes Refrigeration work.

Adiabatic cooling occurs when the pressure of a substance is decreased as it does work on its surroundings. Adiabatic cooling occurs in the Earth's atmosphere with orographic lifting and lee waves, and this can form pileus or lenticular clouds if the air is cooled below the dew point. When the pressure applied on a parcel of air decreases, the air in the parcel is allowed to expand; as the volume increases, the temperature falls and internal energy decreases.

Adiabatic cooling does not have to involve a fluid. One technique used to reach very low temperatures (thousandths and even millionths of a degree above absolute zero) is adiabatic demagnetisation, where the change in magnetic field on a magnetic material is used to provide adiabatic cooling. Also, the contents of an expanding universe (to first order) can be described as an adiabatically cooling fluid. (See - Heat death of the universe)

Rising magma also undergoes adiabatic cooling before eruption, particularly significant in the case of magmas that rise quickly from great depths such as kimberlites.[5]

Such temperature changes can be quantified using the ideal gas law, or the hydrostatic equation for atmospheric processes.

In practice, no process is truly adiabatic. Many processes rely on a large difference in time scales of the process of interest and the rate of heat dissipation across a system boundary, and thus are approximated by using an adiabatic assumption. There is always some heat loss, as no perfect insulators exist

Supervolcanoes serve as a Release Valve for Temp Increases at the core.  The earth cycles over the Millenia show pretty clearly how this works.

You should go read my blogs on Geotectonic Ocean Heat Transfer Theory.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Online azozeo

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 02:22:27 AM »
Here's a fresh from the oven Earth Mommy update.
Yellowstone may be a bigger event than we think.
With 5 & 6 point earthquakes in Az. & NM.
AND NOW THIS !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTUAcDjbwAM&list=UUye7OVKZjiI-OJ_4bW_VcYA