AuthorTopic: The Toba Memorial Volcano Thread  (Read 29890 times)

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Watching Yellowstone
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 02:25:12 AM »
A quick vid on higher than normal gas levels at Yellowstone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H65gwXbt5f8&list=UUn_NT89merDQCbygarnZSkg
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.
You donít know what it is but its there, like a splinter in your mind

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 02:28:30 AM »
Here's a fresh from the oven Earth Mommy update.
Yellowstone may be a bigger event than we think.
With 5 & 6 point earthquakes in Az. & NM.
AND NOW THIS !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTUAcDjbwAM&list=UUye7OVKZjiI-OJ_4bW_VcYA

WHOA!
  That is fucking amazing.

Here's the embed folks.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aTUAcDjbwAM?feature=player_detailpage" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aTUAcDjbwAM?feature=player_detailpage</a>

I don't buy the water table explanation.  That looks like a thermal expansion crack to me.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 02:32:23 AM »
I thought about that volcanic winter scenario, however since Earth Mommy is heating up
from the core out maybe we will still continue to boil. Only time will tell until "The Big POP" occurs ...
Thanks for posting the map of the fallout.

A Blowoff of Yellowstone would bring down Core Temperature of the earth significantly.  Its the thermodynamic principle of Adiabatic Thermal Expansion, same principle that makes Refrigeration work.

Adiabatic cooling occurs when the pressure of a substance is decreased as it does work on its surroundings. Adiabatic cooling occurs in the Earth's atmosphere with orographic lifting and lee waves, and this can form pileus or lenticular clouds if the air is cooled below the dew point. When the pressure applied on a parcel of air decreases, the air in the parcel is allowed to expand; as the volume increases, the temperature falls and internal energy decreases.

Adiabatic cooling does not have to involve a fluid. One technique used to reach very low temperatures (thousandths and even millionths of a degree above absolute zero) is adiabatic demagnetisation, where the change in magnetic field on a magnetic material is used to provide adiabatic cooling. Also, the contents of an expanding universe (to first order) can be described as an adiabatically cooling fluid. (See - Heat death of the universe)

Rising magma also undergoes adiabatic cooling before eruption, particularly significant in the case of magmas that rise quickly from great depths such as kimberlites.[5]

Such temperature changes can be quantified using the ideal gas law, or the hydrostatic equation for atmospheric processes.

In practice, no process is truly adiabatic. Many processes rely on a large difference in time scales of the process of interest and the rate of heat dissipation across a system boundary, and thus are approximated by using an adiabatic assumption. There is always some heat loss, as no perfect insulators exist

Supervolcanoes serve as a Release Valve for Temp Increases at the core.  The earth cycles over the Millenia show pretty clearly how this works.

You should go read my blogs on Geotectonic Ocean Heat Transfer Theory.

RE

Thanks for the tip RE....
I'm not doing anything else at 2:30 a.m.
I'll have a 3 pg. homework report next to your morning coffee  ;D
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why youíre here. Youíre here because you know something. What you know you canít explain, but you feel it. Youíve felt it your entire life, that thereís something wrong with the world.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
QUAKES GONE WILD!
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 02:56:47 AM »
I just loaded my 3D Global Earthquake Monitor which take USGS Data and loads it onto a Virtual Globe.

Global Quakes have gone NUTS today.  CA and AK recording much bigger ones than usual at greater frequency.

Something is happening in the bowels of Mother Earth.  A Big Fart may be imminent.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 06:10:26 AM »
Here's the latest data from Yellowstone monitors
that Mary Greeley's channel updated.
Question.... RE, can we now access a link on this page to USGS
earthquake data ? If so, where is the link button ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_0EB9UcnrY&list=UUpPGJXgbwBmkIp291W0PCMw

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 06:20:23 AM »
Question.... RE, can we now access a link on this page to USGS
earthquake data ? If so, where is the link button ?

Download the 3D Earthquake Monitor.  It's Freeware.  I got it on my Phone.  LOL.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Eddie

• Global Moderator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 06:43:12 AM »
Enjoyed the Mary Greeley earthquake stuff. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.
What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well.

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
Enjoyed the Mary Greeley earthquake stuff. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Eddie,
Here's Mary's latest update. Possible radio blackouts due to space weather phenomenon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lTmZkkE7JQ&list=UUpPGJXgbwBmkIp291W0PCMw

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Here's the latest magma flows & seismic activity from Yellowstone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcZsbqy1Lks&list=UUpPGJXgbwBmkIp291W0PCMw

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
Here's the latest magma flows & seismic activity from Yellowstone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcZsbqy1Lks&list=UUpPGJXgbwBmkIp291W0PCMw

Looks pretty bad. Does this resemble the activity it displayed the last time or two it blew? Or are we getting all excited just because it is rumbling like it hasÖwellÖsince before the Egyptians built the pyramids?
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »
Guy McPherson or someone in the know would be your huckleberry on that question.
My opinion is that Yellowstone is a bubbling pot of magma chili on the stove to long.
I don't think we will get a Toba event, but rather a large Kilauea non stop kind of oooze.
It's the Sulfur Dioxide, Hydrogen Sulfide, gas exhaust that's got me concerned.
Glad I'm up wind in Az. However, scientists have determined the ash fallout could be 10 feet
thick within a 500 mile radius.

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »
Guy McPherson or someone in the know would be your huckleberry on that question.

Oh, I seriously doubt that. Guy's specialty before he became suicidal for both himself and the entire species certainly wasn't in the geology of Yellowstone. Certainly for that I would askÖa geologistÖ.. :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Quote from: azozeo
My opinion is that Yellowstone is a bubbling pot of magma chili on the stove to long.

Certainly not the technical term, but an excellent description in laymen's terms.

I don't think we will get a Toba event, but rather a large Kilauea non stop kind of oooze.
It's the Sulfur Dioxide, Hydrogen Sulfide, gas exhaust that's got me concerned.

Volcano's going boom certainly bring some nasties out when they do. But really, if a super volcano goes off nearby, people will scream bloody murder if it only involves them changing their daily commute, let alone REAL problems.

Glad I'm up wind in Az. However, scientists have determined the ash fallout could be 10 feet
thick within a 500 mile radius.

Certainly sounds like a bummer. Yellowstone is gorgeous, and I would be very unhappy if I couldn't see it again, or take my kids and grandkids there, in the future. Probably won't look near as nice if it turns itself into a steaming crater surrounded by moonscape.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
-Dalai Lama

Offline azozeo

• Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
If you have grand kids than you were alive during Mt. St. Helens in 1980 (?)
Life has returned there in just a few decades. It's amazing how nature regains
it foothold in a short period of time. Anyway, here's the latest data on that
bubbling pot of chili in NW Wyoming.
Yellowstone Increased Activity... 56 quakes in Three Days!

Offline MKing

• Contrarian
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 02:01:19 PM »
If you have grand kids than you were alive during Mt. St. Helens in 1980 (?)

Of course. And quite old enough to be fascinated by the courage of David Johnson.

The courage of geologist scientists like him influenced my career.

Life has returned there in just a few decades.

Just as it has at Yellowstone, over tens of thousands. Time cures all ills, including what humans do to this planet, or it does to itself. But Mt Saint Helens was just a run of the mill volcanic eruption. Not even all that spectacular, within the realm of what volcanoes are really capable. Such as what Yellowstone itself can do in full bore "the geologists warned you about this" mode.

It's amazing how nature regains
it foothold in a short period of time. Anyway, here's the latest data on that
bubbling pot of chili in NW Wyoming.
Yellowstone Increased Activity... 56 quakes in Three Days!

Looks pretty scary and graphical. I have induced several thousand quakes myself in no more than an hour or two before using just some high pressure water, amazing how small a seismic event has to be before someone calls it a "quake", isn't it?

-Dalai Lama

Offline Petty Tyrant

• Cannot be Saved
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 03:11:47 PM »

Oh, I seriously doubt that.

I stopped taking him seriously based on his own standards. RE's sunsteading solution is shitty because its patriarchal, so himself being a middleage white male should also be discounted.
ELEVATE YOUR GAME