AuthorTopic: Bargain Wine for Diner Preppers from The DD Pantry  (Read 674 times)

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
Bargain Wine for Diner Preppers from The DD Pantry
« on: January 05, 2017, 05:25:16 AM »
Diner's, Would like to call your attention to one of the few bargains left in this world of Fiat currencies. There are always some and should be taken advantage of when prices are low and they are goods that stay preserved well.

Some might fine Red Wine a strange prepper item. My posting it is for the following reasons in my particular case, let me explain.

Financial collapse is likely to bring on great stress if you are holed up and wondering when food chains will again function.

Red Wine in my case is a very relaxing elixir. Folks like myself never get intoxicated on Red wine, rather a few glasses makes me very relaxed and unbelievably SLEEPY. Many folks are effected the same way.

It also stores very well, gets better with age, has very well regarded medicinal properties.  Beer of course goes bad quickly and hard liquor has all sorts of differing attributes, although a few jugs of brandy might also be advisable.

We have a situation in the current financial arena of fiats where the dollar is very strong currently against the Euro, affording us great values among ordinary quality every day table wines. The Italian ones being the best value and quality IMO.  The highest quality wines sought after by the elitists and collectors never get affordable unfortunately.

Would like to feature in this posting a favorite of mine which I find to be very pleasant every day wine. I am also very familiar with it's ability to age well, have stored them for decades in some cases and they mature very well.

A favorite is Ruffino Chianti. Well known, available most everywhere, great quality IMO, a true bargain price.

The regular sized bottle can be had for usual 7 dollars and the big double size an amazing bargain for around twelve. Smart bargain shoppers can usually get a extra discount by buying by the case or waiting for a sale. 

I can personally attest to it's quality and the fact that it matures well having started on an older case I have had for 12 years and replacing it with a new vintage. The twelve year old had matured wonderfully.

Just what is hopefully a usable suggestion on getting some wine stored at a most favorable price for Lite Doomers like myself who see financial problems and food supply disruptions as our first acquaintance with collapse. What's nice about this prep is if hopefully you don't have to use it, you will have put away a decent wine at a very fair price.  If needed it may relax you a bit at a time of great stress and mayhem and allow you to get a good nights sleep. 
                          Regards, GO

P.S.  Almost forgot, make absolutely sure you store it on it's side NEVER straight up. This ensures the cork remaining moist and not drying out allowing air in to rot the wine. It's always amazed me how many folks are unaware of this simple fact.  :icon_scratch:

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Bargain Wine for Diner Preppers from The DD Pantry
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 05:56:04 AM »
Good Prepper Post!

Eddie has a pretty decent Wine Cellar I believe.

IMHO though, in a Post-Collapse scenario as a Barter item you'll do better with hard liquor.  For most barter situations I would recommend cheap Vodka, Rum or Bourbon in Pint sized bottles.  For important and big barter or bribes to get you across a border or onto a ship to GTFO of Dodge, I recommend a high quality Single Malt Scotch, such as 50 year old Glenlivet.

I have two bottles of this stuff. :icon_sunny:  Cost a small fortune.

Bonus here is that when (not if) TSHTF, I don't have to barter it, I can drink it instead before I buy my ticket to the Great Beyond.  :icon_sunny:

If Nibiru shows up in October, I'll be out on the porch with a nice tumbler, a cooler of ice, my Glenlivet and a carton of Marlboro Light Cancerettes to watch the show as the local Volcanoes start to blow and my digs come crashing down from the Earthquakes.  Hopefully, I can keep my drink steady until I am covered by the ashfall, Pompeii style.

RE on the Porch after Mt. Redoubt Blows

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F90Cw4l-8NY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/F90Cw4l-8NY</a>

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Golden Oxen

• Golden Oxen
  • Contrarian
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:08:02 AM »
Yes Glenlivet is a great scotch RE, I'm a Pinch man myself.

My only probablem with hard booze is It makes me a tad crazy if I have enough. Giving broads the eye and buying them drinks, arguing with a crazy at a tavern, arguing with the old lady and having to listen to her crying for a few days about what a nasty prick I am when Cucked.  :laugh:

No such problems with the Vino.  :icon_sunny:

The Indians Called It "Fire Water"   ;D ;D :emthup: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_sunny:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 06:09:39 AM by Golden Oxen »

Online RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 06:19:56 AM »
My only probablem with hard booze is It makes me a tad crazy if I have enough. Giving broads the eye and buying them drinks, arguing with a crazy at a tavern, arguing with the old lady and having to listen to her crying for a few days about what a nasty prick I am when Cucked.

I've run into a few "nasty" drunks in my life, my best friend married one and she was awful after a few drinks.

On the other hand, I've know happy and funny drunks also, I had an uncle like this.  He was always more fun to be around when he was 3 sheets to the wind.  Until he passed out, anyhow. lol.  Then you had to pick him up and carry him to a bed, and he was not a small guy.  Usually took two of us at a family celebration to perform this task.

I'm basically a funny drunk.  It lubricates my sense of humor about the world and its condition.  Until I tip over and pass out like my uncle.  It's probably genetic.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN