AuthorTopic: Reporting website errors and questions  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
Re: Reporting website errors and questions
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »
Is that done on a known regular schedule (like every hour on the hour)?  Most updating could be timed to fit in with that.
"The State is a body of armed men."

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »
Is that done on a known regular schedule (like every hour on the hour)?  Most updating could be timed to fit in with that.

I'm not sure what the schedule on it is.  I'll check into it.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 06:00:42 PM »
I tried posting to Geopolitics again to see if the "Table is marked as crashed" error came up again and it didn't.  But on deleting the browser tab moments later it did.

SMF support says it can be fixed using phpMyAdmin or CPanel. I asked how that could be possible, since CPanel doesn't know the format and they said it was self-documenting, so self repairing. I am still baffled by this, but I found CPanel> MYSQL databases and a place where you can select a database and click the Repair Database button, and did that, and it seemed to work OK.

Please report anything like this happening here in this thread. Thanks.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 06:04:40 PM »
I tried posting to Geopolitics again to see if the "Table is marked as crashed" error came up again and it didn't.  But on deleting the browser tab moments later it did.

SMF support says it can be fixed using phpMyAdmin or CPanel. I asked how that could be possible, since CPanel doesn't know the format and they said it was self-documenting, so self repairing. I am still baffled by this, but I found CPanel> MYSQL databases and a place where you can select a database and click the Repair Database button, and did that, and it seemed to work OK.

Please report anything like this happening here in this thread. Thanks.

I haven't seen that one yet.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 07:57:05 PM »
Back to "WP and PHP-7 gives blank pages"  WP-support says there is a plugin called PHP compatibility checker which is able to check for compatibility errors, so will install that and see what it says - after I my poor brain has had time to cool down.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Reporting website errors and questions: Database Burps
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2017, 02:49:01 AM »
Looks like we had another "Database Burp" of old posts last night.  Palloy has taken himself off of Code Jockey Detail, so the cause of this problem will remain Mysterious.  Fortunately it doesn't seem to occur too often.

I left the old posts up for the time being, it's kind of entertaining to get these random "Blast from the Pasts".

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Reporting website errors and questions: Database Burps
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 05:20:31 AM »
Looks like we had another "Database Burp" of old posts last night.  Palloy has taken himself off of Code Jockey Detail, so the cause of this problem will remain Mysterious.  Fortunately it doesn't seem to occur too often.

I left the old posts up for the time being, it's kind of entertaining to get these random "Blast from the Pasts".

RE

We had a second "Burp" of old posts, this bunch I deleted (very tedious).  Also, Knarf reported he had trouble with his Knewz Channel, although I am not seeing that problem.

I gotta find a Code Jockey.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »
I had a burst of "Topic Reply" emails last night. It would help if, instead of deleting them, you collected the URLs of the repeated emails, and left them up, for analysis.

What a load of crap gets put up here.  ::)

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 03:32:25 PM »
I had a burst of "Topic Reply" emails last night. It would help if, instead of deleting them, you collected the URLs of the repeated emails, and left them up, for analysis.

What a load of crap gets put up here.  ::)

I left up the first batch.  For the ones I deleted, they are all also still in existence in the Admin file.  I thought you quit on this stuff anyhow. ???   :icon_scratch:

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN

Offline Palloy2

• Administrator
  • Sous Chef
    • View Profile
    • Palloy's Blog
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
I can't promise to be responsible for fixing it. I can't promise I will be alive tommorrow. If i am alive and functioning I will try to help.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 09:31:52 PM »
I can't promise to be responsible for fixing it. I can't promise I will be alive tommorrow. If i am alive and functioning I will try to help.

I can't promise to be alive tomorrow either.  We both have one foot in the grave.

I don't expect a promise for a fix.  If you find one, great, if not and I can't find another Code Jockey who can, the Diner is DONE.  Working on 6 years now, that is a pretty good run.

If you feel up to it, have a look and see what you can figure out.  From what I see, the posts that are BURPed up are not real posts, but DRAFTS.  They are partials of otherwise completed posts.  However, they are not drafts that the author necessarily saved himself.  Numerous of mine went up, and I KNOW I didn't save them as drafts.  I almost never do that.  So they must have been auto-saved somehow along the way while I was composing them.

RE
SAVE AS MANY AS YOU CAN