AuthorTopic: Getting a Handle on Wealth  (Read 9455 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a Handle on Wealth
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2017, 10:59:04 AM »
One way to "interrogate" the conventional definition of wealth since Adam Smith's definition of "wealth" defined the term for modern economics is to ask the question, "Which human needs are most (or best) addressed through Smith's definition of the term and which are not?"  Also, "What are our basic human needs, anyway?"  If Smith's version of "wealth" is adequate to the cultivation of a life, or culture, which serves our true human needs, there's probably no need for a major revision of that word's use. However, if it proves inadequate, we may like to use that word differently.

For one approach to investigating basic human needs, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_human_needs

Why try to redefine the word "wealth" when the word "weal"  already exists to express the idea of total well being? ???  :icon_scratch:

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2017, 01:32:50 PM »
To those of you who have walked into this conversation recently, I should inform you that I'm choosing not to respond to RE's questions or comments, because doing so has proven fruitless in the past.  I'm totally willing to answer questions or comments from others here, however.   In fact, I'll even answer RE's question if someone else wants to pose it.  I just don't want to get caught up in the unproductive cycle RE would prefer to re-circulate.
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline JRM

• Sous Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »
Last week I had two brushes with the mainstream of American culture and politics. The first was an appearance on a PBS television show, the Tavis Smiley show. As far as I can remember, this was only the second time Iíve been on a national TV program. The other time was in South Africa on a business program. On that occasion, I said something like, ďThe wealthy neighborhoods Iíve seen in South Africa are not truly wealthy. Real wealth is not razor wire fences and security walls and surveillance systems. Real wealth is to feel safe and free. It is to belong in the place you live. Real wealth is to feel at home in the world. Therefore it is impossible to be truly wealthy in an unequal society.Ē

Charles Eisenstein

http://charleseisenstein.net/brushes-with-the-mainstream/

Now here's a man who understands why the common and popular usage of the word "wealth" is actually quite a mistaken one.

In the very next paragraph he says,

For some reason the South African network took that segment off their website and, even when an Anglican bishop requested that it be made available, the request was refused. So this particular interview no longer exists in the digital matrix. The immune system of consensus reality had effectively expelled the invading meme that I was representing.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 07:50:28 AM by JRM »
My "avatar" graphic is Japanese calligraphy (shodō) forming the word shoshin, meaning "beginner's mind". --  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoshin -- It is with shoshin that I am now and always "meeting my breath" for the first time. Try it!

Offline John of Wallan

• Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »
I get it.
I see people around me with castles, new cars and huge anxiety that they will lose their castle and new car.
Wealth is having enough, now and into the future.

Having quickly scanned this thread I am amazed that people cant see the relevance to collapse.

JOW