AuthorTopic: RE's Excellent Mexican Dental Adventure  (Read 9180 times)

Offline RE

• Administrator
  • Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
    • View Profile
RE's Excellent Mexican Dental Adventure
« on: March 12, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »
Discuss the Feature Articles here.

http://www.doomsteaddiner.net/blog/2012/03/12/res-excellent-mexican-dental-adventure-part-i/
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
Re: RE's Excellent Mexican Dental Adventure
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »
"...what you have down here are a PLETHORA of Bugout Machine Communities."

I find this part of your journey (thus far) very interesting. The idea that there could be tens of thousands of baby boomers living in truck cabs on dusty lots close to the border and surviving off government handouts is mind blowing. It makes perfect sense of course. Makes me think I'll be lucky to get a used one someday.

What a great setting for a film!

Jb

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 06:06:43 PM »
I/ve already taken quite a few Pics of Bugout Machines, botin isolated areas and in communities.  I only put up a couple taken so far.  I haven't hit any of the upscale ones yet with the fancy Diesel Pushers yet, but I'll get some of those before I leave for sure.

There are literally tens of thousands of them down here.  Here is an older typical community

RE
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:12:04 PM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 06:15:30 PM »
"...what you have down here are a PLETHORA of Bugout Machine Communities."

I find this part of your journey (thus far) very interesting. The idea that there could be tens of thousands of baby boomers living in truck cabs on dusty lots close to the border and surviving off government handouts is mind blowing. It makes perfect sense of course. Makes me think I'll be lucky to get a used one someday.

Also, demographically speaking, most of these folks appear to be Silents, not Boomers.  I'd estimate the average age of the people in the queue leaving Los Algodones to be around 75.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 06:29:44 PM »
Just finished reading Part II. It was really interesting; thank you very much. Sounds like we need the border crossing just as much as our southern cousins do.

BTW, how's the mouth feelin?

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »
No issues with the mouth as of yet.  However the teeth don't come out until thursday.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 01:44:02 AM »
I find these images fascinating. Wondering if you haven't stepped into a time portal and aren't sending us images from the future.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline Jb

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 06:57:48 AM »
To make these more 'futuristic' all you have to do is Photoshop-out the cars (or maybe just the tires), put a child armed with an AK in the foreground, add a couple piles of garbage and put in a pack of wild dogs lurking in the shadows - and Bob's your uncle!

Jb

Offline Surly1

• Administrator
  • Master Chef
    • View Profile
    • Doomstead Diner
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »
Re part II:

"This REALITY is what really PISSES me off with respect to dimwitted Blogger Pundits who go on endless rants BLAMING Boomers for all the problems we face today. Jackasses like this simply do not look at the actual DEMOGRAPHICS and who received the greatest Benefits of the Age of Oil . . . Boomers were TRAPPED by the kind of system set up by the Silents, who truly screwed this world, and who now are dying off just in time to fuck everyone else. If you want to place BLAME here as far as the Age of Oil is concerned, it rests entirely on the shoulders of the Silents, who were the most Greedy Generation ever to hit the planet. They sucked up the wealth and spent it all cruising round the Golf courses of Florida for the last 30 years while Boomers picked up their Tab."

Rarely observed, and even less written. And flies in the face of the Jim Quinn crowd.

His boomer-basing always amused me, but I have always thought he was trying to lay the foundation for an intergenerational revolt, in which the Gen X-and-Y crowds would rise and string up boomers from the nearest lamppost. Would certainly suit the temperament of the TBP Blame-the-Victim crowd.

JQES.
"It is difficult to write a paradiso when all the superficial indications are that you ought to write an apocalypse." -Ezra Pound

Offline CodeYellowPillMonkey

• Bussing Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 10:39:10 AM »
My mom was 84 when she passed away, I have her life-time of pictures to understand the silents and the lives many of them had.  They certainly were not all hurt by the great depression.  Thanks for the updates RE, Im glad to see Mexico in some spots is still civil.  The Mexican Military carrying AKs across their chest did not make me feel safe as a tourista in Cabo!  That plus the military helicopters swooping across the beach!  Glad to know if I need a good dentist to head to Yuma and cross!  Your pics are fab btw, hope you feel okay for Thursday!!
CodeYellowPillMonkey

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »
that gmc motorhome is a beaut. lust after those in a previous-life kind of way. they got solar and looks like wind, too. when you've bought your last tank of gas and your running on empty just park it on a downslope and tell yourself everything's gonna be just fine.

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 11:21:52 AM »
I find these images fascinating. Wondering if you haven't stepped into a time portal and aren't sending us images from the future.

Eventually when Peter gets the Gallery fixed up here I will make a Slieshow of all the Pics.  Right now I can't get into it because my Login info doesn't work on it.  I suspect he neglected to make me an ID when he installed it.

I wonder where he is?   He hasn't been around for over a week now.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 01:03:28 PM »
Back in Mexico waiting for my appt for cleaning and crowns.

RE
Save As Many As You Can

Offline reanteben

• Global Moderator
  • Waitstaff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
the Silents (and the homeless) listen to teeth to learn how to quit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/KwBg_wrbJhE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/KwBg_wrbJhE</a>
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:08:50 PM by reanteben »

Offline RE

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 11:23:06 PM »
Long day South of the Border, and right now I'm too wiped to do any major writing.  Got some more good pics, and the demographics around here continue to astound me.  Miami is positively youthful by comparison.  If you're still a mobile enough Silent to wander the Malls and dance to mexican bands playing cover tunes of 50s and 60s music, you're living in Yuma.

Anyhow, saw my first Military Personnel on the streets of Los Algodones.  Adding a Pic here as an attachment, see how that works.  Also, this time back through the border, the CBP actually did swipe my Passport.  I can thus conclude there are as of yet no major Red Flags on me in the DB.

Dentista rescheduled my last appt for Friday, he is too busy tomorrow.  So I get to keep my teeth one more day. Leaves tomorrow free for some Tourista activities.  Also maybe some writing.  I did get some pics of a more Upscale Bugout Machine Community also.

More when I get motivated.

RE

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:01:18 AM by RE »
Save As Many As You Can